Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wilshire has done almost nothing yet.

Walcott, cost 5m rising to 12.5m You know he's 24 soon and only just found his shooting boots.

Ox - Cost 12m to buy and hasn't actually done that much yet. Not dissing him but if you asked me who I'd have - Sterling every time (or Ibe in 18 months)

Its stupid really.

love your assement of these players and then you can claim Sterling to be better for a 6 good months he delivered and throw Ibe in too.

I like Sterling but to set the goal posts, move them and then set other requirements to suit your point isn't worth a debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Its stupid really.

love your assement of these players and then you can claim Sterling to be better for a 6 good months he delivered and throw Ibe in too.

I like Sterling but to set the goal posts, move them and then set other requirements to suit your point isn't worth a debate

Walcott only found his shooting boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Yep, pointless argument at the moment lads, our players are better than yours etc! School boy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sterling is the best talent England has produced in a while. He was England's best player at the world cup by quite a distance....and he's 19. I hate the hype machine as much as the next bloke, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that Sterling is a top talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I wouldn't expect much considering the match is on in Manchester :)

I'd imagine there'd still be a crowd in the Albert, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Gbear wrote: »
    Christ Bongo, Brian Pinas and Creedence Clearwater Couto (really, that's his name).

Christ bongo has to be the greatest name in the history of football.
    I'm also a big fan of justice Christopher and junichi inamotoboat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its stupid really.

love your assessment of these players and then you can claim Sterling to be better for a 6 good months he delivered and throw Ibe in too.

Moving goal posts? Its BANTZ :pac:

Seriously though, I was just noting how much Arsenal spent on a player who was supposed be the key to a title challenge and what Liverpool have managed to get for about the same, the sub-plot point of Sterling is that Arsenals much hyped youth has in fact often been kids bought in at considerable expense as largely finished items who have not pushed on as expected (yet). Obviously there is still time for Walcott if he can only stay fit.

Kirby wrote: »
    Sterling is the best talent England has produced in a while. He was England's best player at the world cup by quite a distance....and he's 19. I hate the hype machine as much as the next bloke, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that Sterling is a top talent.

I'd agree with this but for now would include the word potentially.

Thats said he has all the attributes to into a top class modern day footballer, almost a new molde of anything they have produced before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Banana Yaya for me. Magnificent name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dickerty wrote: »
    I am sure you could do the same with Lallana, compare to some of Arsenal's better signings.

And not much point in including Sterling, he was a youth signing...

He was highly sought after so why not? I suupose it's easy to forget that the club often gets it right with transfers, though a few expensive mistakes along the way. Coutinho and Sturridge really absolute bargains for 20 million.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Having been on hols I'm coming into the Balotelli news late.

I can't help but see this as a disaster of a move. I'll give the player and the management the benefit of the doubt on this transfer but I am extremely uneasy with it.

I will gladly accept it if I'm wrong (sincerely hope I am) but I can't help thinking that this will all end up in tears.

Thats said he has all the attributes to into a top class modern day footballer, almost a new molde of anything they have produced before

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. He wasn't the best player for England at the world cup when judging "potential". He was just the best player, full stop. He's not finished developing yet, but he's already a better player than most.

Seriously though, I was just noting how much Arsenal spent on a player who was supposed be the key to a title challenge and what Liverpool have managed to get for about the same, the sub-plot point of Sterling is that Arsenals much hyped youth has in fact often been kids bought in at considerable expense as largely finished items who have not pushed on as expected (yet). Obviously there is still time for Walcott if he can only stay fit.

Okay but you selectively responded on those two, I don't agree with your assessment.

You ignored Cesc and Chez? Anyway this is a Liverpool Thread so I'll bow out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

martyos121 wrote: »
    Banana Yaya for me. Magnificent name.

Brilliant. Great name for a second child

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

£2 million. I remember because it was the same week Suarez was bought for £55 million.

So Liverpool paid €2m and Newcastle received €35m. The delusion continues....

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that. He wasn't the best player for England at the world cup when judging "potential". He was just the best player, full stop. He's not finished developing yet, but he's already a better player than most.

It wasn't hard to be the best player at the WC for England and he went into it in flying form. He now needs to maintain that level to become a top talent.

I want argue against you because I 100% think he is the most exciting young talent coming through the premier league right now

Tusky wrote: »
    I genuinely don't know what our best team is this season, and that is exciting. The team below doesn't even include Lallana, Sakho or Markovic.

Sturridge
    Balotelli
    Sterling
    Coutiniho
    ----Henderson
    Gerrard

Moreno--Lovren--Skrtel---Manquillo

Mingolet

Options: Lambert, Lallana, Can, Allen, Flanagan, Johnson, Agger, Toure, Enrique, Ibe, Lucas.

We have options in nearly every position which is some change from last season and particularly 4 years ago or so. I think most fans will be happy enough with the window. All going well we should be sorted for a number of positions for a few years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I can't help but see this as a disaster of a move. I'll give the player and the management the benefit of the doubt on this transfer but I am extremely uneasy with it.

I will gladly accept it if I'm wrong (sincerely hope I am) but I can't help thinking that this will all end up in tears.

If Liverpool get that code of conduct it should be a no lose situation and Studge will still be the main man he balo throws is toys out.

Worst comes to the worst pool sell him to a similar fee they bought him for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Right, I've to call you out on this absolute nonsense.

Walcotts League Starts & Goals since he arrived.

YR1: 16 (0) = 0% Strike Rate
    YR2: 25 (4) = 16% Strike Rate
    YR3: 22 (2) = 9% Strike Rate
    YR4: 23 (3) = 13% Strike Rate
    YR5: 28 (9) = 32% Strike Rate
    YR6: 35 (8) = 22% Strike Rate
    YR7: 32 (14) = 44% Strike Rate
    YR8: 13 (5) = 38% Strike Rate

There's some very fundamental facts and figures that highlight Walcott is already at a very very high level. And yeah, there's still time for him. Still time for him to push onto World Class.

Anyways; this is nonsense comparing fees and players. Like Dickerty said; you do some good deals, you do some bad ones and the end of the day all that matters is the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Peist2007 wrote: »

Futurama_fry_looking_squint2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You don't get jokes do you?

The way his game developed last season was spectacular, never thought he'd be that good.

Super-Rush wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

*£2 million. Pound sterling, not euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Brilliant. Great name for a second child

Yes it's perfect for a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Always found German Villa's name amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

*£2 million. Pound sterling, not euro.

Or in football terms, approximately 0.8 Fellainis

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Gentlemen of all allegiances, can we have less Arsenal and more Liverpool in the thread please. I understand the original value for money point has legs, but it also leads to schoolboy stuff. Thanks.:)

Futurama_fry_looking_squint2.jpg

Ah was only joking. Plenty of delusion over at my team too

Super-Rush wrote: »

I do! Went back and had left out a smiley. I did think it was a good one!

• Advertisement

Just caught up with the last few pages, mental :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What about Wellbeck lads? Been let go from United. Anyone think Rodgers could turn him into a 'player'?

I think its a poor signing also. Mario is generally a liability in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »
    After Skrtel's showing last week I'd love to see Sakho come in against City.
    Skrtel played well. Sakho is overated a bit on here. A talented CB but hasn't been consistent the last 2 years at PSG then Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Bvp0ElRIUAEuxRJ.jpg

Tattoo-da-Plane-Moms-Grilled-Cheese-Truck.jpg

Bvp0ElRIUAEuxRJ.jpg

Tattoo-da-Plane-Moms-Grilled-Cheese-Truck.jpg

NYCAviation_spotters.jpg

_40577055_anorak203.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

cson wrote: »
    Right, I've to call you out on this absolute nonsense.

Walcotts League Starts & Goals since he arrived.

YR1: 16 (0) = 0% Strike Rate
    YR2: 25 (4) = 16% Strike Rate
    YR3: 22 (2) = 9% Strike Rate
    YR4: 23 (3) = 13% Strike Rate
    YR5: 28 (9) = 32% Strike Rate
    YR6: 35 (8) = 22% Strike Rate
    YR7: 32 (14) = 44% Strike Rate
    YR8: 13 (5) = 38% Strike Rate

I don't get the 'Strike Rate' %? Looks like you're saying that he scored in 44% of games in YR 7 (14goals/32games=44%)

However he's definitely scored a hat trick or 2 in the league and probably a number of braces too, so I would expect you either calculate the goals per game or % of games scored in. I think you're coming in somewhere in the middle.

Just speculating. In reality I can't believe somebody needed to bring up stats to support a Walcott argument as a good attacking player being brought through. He's clearly a great player and has had more big game performances than Sterling to date. Still happier to have Sterling but him playing for Liverpool doesn't diminish Walcott as a player at all.

its Goal but must mean Borini is leaving if its true
    Samuel Eto’o has opted to join Liverpool and is undergoing a medical on Friday ahead of signing a one-year deal, Goal understands.

Everton’s late interest in the 33-year-old had threatened to derail Liverpool’s move, with Roberto Martinez’s side ready to offer a two-year contract, but the striker is excited by the prospect of working under Brendan Rodgers.

The Cameroon international’s medical is taking place outside of the UK, while the move could be finalised before Liverpool face Manchester City on Monday evening.

Eto’o is available on a free transfer and had held talks with Ajax earlier this summer before the Dutch club pulled out negotiations.

More to follow…

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/08/22/5052949/etoo-undergoes-medical-ahead-of-liverpool-switch?CMPID=TWUK_140822_EtooLiverpoolMedical

If we sign Eto'o I think the 4-4-2 diamond will be used regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Bvp0ElRIUAEuxRJ.jpg
    Just curious which plane is the right one - this is the image from the Mirror. :)

PAY-Mario-Balotelli.jpg

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Skrtel played well. Sakho is overated a bit on here. A talented CB but hasn't been consistent the last 2 years at PSG then Liverpool.

I'm coming around to the idea that he has to do a lot of desperate defending to make up for bad positioning and decision making. The Clyne goal was an obvious example but not the only one.

He's very good at it, but I'd like to see Sakho given a go at not getting into those situations in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Balotelli AND Eto'o...I don't know what to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Bye bye Borini.

Bvp0ElRIUAEuxRJ.jpg
    Talisman wrote: »
    PAY-Mario-Balotelli.jpg

Jesus I thought I had stumbled into the Flight simulator forum there for a second.

Not bad tbh, no shortage of options anyway. Good to see Rodgers making a name for himself as a manager players want to work under too. But it's goal.com!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bvp_iHtIMAAKy47.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

What's that you said?
    4 Competitions ?
    Strength in depth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're gonna win the leagues.

We're gonna win the leagues.

Champions and the Premier, Champions and the Premier. Champions AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND THE PREMIER.

WE'RE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUES.

But seriously though, getting Eto'o as well as Balotelli would give us a serious strength to establish ourselves in the Top 4, and also make a decent run at the cups. I wouldn't be against it, despite the character issues/wages/whatever.

Balotelli at Melwood.

BvqFFGYIcAEc8rS.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

****ing hell that's some strike force

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

What's that you said?
    4 Competitions ?
    Strength in depth ?

Looking forward to the posts saying we have TOO many good players at the club and questioning Rodgers squad size :p
    He wont be able to keep them all happy bla bla bla

Even with Suarez leaving if we get Balotelli and Etoo this is the greatest transfer window in 10 years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement