Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Knex. wrote: »
    Did they decline? No
    Didn't AC mind? I don't think so
    Was it for real? Damn sure
    What was the deal? A Super Mario aged 24.

craig-david-20050730-58930.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

https://twitter.com/XabiAlonso/status/503596660719882240
    Thanks for all noodle! I wish you the best, even at Man. Utd :) never forget the zigzag extra time in Lisbon.

Dude still loves Liverpool! Haha love the dig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hoping for some meaning pictures today.

Is there any more business needed after this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Vicxas wrote: »

Alex Song and Sergio Romero would be fantashtic, I think we're done buying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't mind going for Lars Bender instead of Song.

Romero would be a very good number 2 for the price quoted £2m.

Again I would like to get an experienced right back in, but Johnson would have to leave for that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Looking forward to tonight. Pressure is off really and I'm hoping we play open attacking football.
    The first half in the corresponding fixture last year was one of the most enjoyable 45mins of football I've seen in a long time - even if we ended it a goal behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Looking forward to tonight. Pressure is off really and I'm hoping we play open attacking football.
    The first half in the corresponding fixture last year was one of the most enjoyable 45mins of football I've seen in a long time - even if we ended it a goal behind.

Very unlucky in that game. Hopefully luck is on our side tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Craig David, this thread has reached a new low!! :pac:

bo-selecta-s2-20090622183534_625x352.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Pressure off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Vicxas wrote: »

Bank Holiday over yonder today so the administrative staff might not be about to complete any last minute details required before he can safely lean on something for a pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can't wait for the match, today's gona drag :(

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Daemonic wrote: »
    Bank Holiday over yonder today so the administrative staff might not be about to complete any last minute details required before he can safely lean on something for a pic.

Ah that makes sense so

Lots of Twitter folk saying that the deal will be closed on Tuesday and I couldn't see what would be holding it up for completion today as all seems agreed

paperwork wont be finalised until Tuesday because of the bank holiday

mosstin wrote: »
    Pressure off?

Man City expected to win - check
    Liverpool lost this fixture last year - check
    Even if we lose, we're still 3points better than in corresponding fixtures last year - check
    It's very early in the season - check.

So yeah, pressure is off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Out of all the players UTD have signed since last summer, the only player I can say I'm jealous of is Rojo.
    And that's only based in his world cup

I thought he was quite poor at the WC. I was surprised he got in the WC 11.

Even if we lose, we're still 3points better than in corresponding fixtures last year - check

I'd feel quite the opposite, tonight is a chance to go and lay down a marker for the season and show City how lucky they were to win this fixture last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd feel quite the opposite, tonight is a chance to go and lay down a marker for the season and show City how lucky they were to win this fixture last season.

And to show as a team we are stronger than last year and will challenge this season again. A win would be huge, pundits, bookies are all writing us off and United to finish ahead of us ffs.

I don't think it's a big deal if we lose tonight.
    I'm not approaching this fixture with any kind of nervous energy at all - there'll be plenty of matches for that.

I am really looking forward the match though - could be a real cracker if both teams go out to attack from the start, which I'm kinda expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Daemonic wrote: »

Doubt it'll be announced on the day of the game anyways.

All will be revealed tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Why would the pressure be off? It’s a very important game to be honest. One of our hardest games of the season so early on is not ideal. Allen must play ahead of lucas and manquiilo will probably be dropped in favour of a Moreno and Johnson pairing.

My big concern is like the Southampton game where we played sturridge on his own up top , he was very isolated . We looked much better when allen came on for lucas and we had lambert and sturridge up top and the diamond behind . Being away to city and with Balotelli not eligible I can see us unfortunately having sturridge up top on his own and finding it hard to create chances.. hope im wrong but will be one of toughest game of the season.

Having Balotelli in the directors box in the Etihad with Ian Ayre tonight would sent the place into overdrive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Gazzetta dello Sport say Napoli have agreed a loan fee of €2m with Liverpool for Lucas Leiva, with an option to sign him for a further €10m.

From Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

We're playing a direct rival for Top 4/potential title winners. In no way is the pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Having Balotelli in the directors box in the Etihad with Ian Ayre tonight would sent the place into overdrive.

Balo would probably set the place on fire for the lols

mosstin wrote: »
    We're playing a direct rival for Top 4/potential title winners. In no way is the pressure off.

It's a pretty subjective term - you can approach the game with as much nervous anticipation as you feel is appropriate,

I intend to kick back with a beer in hand and enjoy the match and not worry too much about the result.

Some people would try to start an argument in an empty room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

djPSB wrote: »
    Gazzetta dello Sport say Napoli have agreed a loan fee of €2m with Liverpool for Lucas Leiva, with an option to sign him for a further €10m.

From Twitter.

€10m would be a great price for him but Napoli will do what they did with Reina use him for a season and send him back to us, refusing to pay the asking price. These loans with an option to buy for experienced players really don't work out for the loaner bar maybe Andy Carroll.

SSN saying that Ballotelli is due in Melwood today to finalise everything.

So we could see leaning today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Sure why dont we start the under 21's.

This is pretty much the worst opinion i have ever come across for an up coming game. Its this kind of "its ok to lose this one" attitude Rodgers has been trying to get out of the club. If you concentrate on one game at a time and give it everything each game, it will serve you alot better.

It's a pretty subjective term - you can approach the game with as much nervous anticipation as you feel is appropriate,

I intend to kick back with a beer in hand and enjoy the match and not worry too much about the result.

Some people would try to start an argument in an empty room.

When will you start worrying about results?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

"We had a practice game here last week and he looked very good. He's one who is coming straight out of La Liga. He's come from the Europa League champions.

"He's done great. Last season he was one of the top left-backs in Europe and was highly sought after. He's a boy that will fit well into our way of working."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169481-moreno-is-ready-to-feature-right-away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

From Twitter.
    rob316 wrote: »
    €10m would be a great price for him but Napoli will do what they did with Reina use him for a season and send him back to us, refusing to pay the asking price. These loans with an option to buy for experienced players really don't work out for the loaner bar maybe Andy Carroll.

Ugh! Reina and Aquilani are both reasons not to do this, Italian clubs are so slippy. Sale or stay.

IK09 wrote: »
    Sure why dont we start the under 21's. .

Because that would be a kinda stupid idea.
    IK09 wrote: »
    This is pretty much the worst opinion i have ever come across for an up coming game. Its this kind of "its ok to lose this one" attitude Rodgers has been trying to get out of the club. If you concentrate on one game at a time and give it everything each game, it will serve you alot better.

It's ok - I'm not in direct contact with the team so my laid back attitude isn't in danger of rubbing off on the players.
    When will you start worrying about results?

Probably a bit later in the season when they start to matter more.

With Balotelli coming in and so many others now I think it's time to give Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho & Henderson new deals with mega money buyout clauses in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If there is one player who has been largely overlooked this summer its Suso, apart from a rather tenuous link with Seville as a makeweight in the Moreno deal we've not heard anything about his future. Its hard to know what best to do with him. Talented but in an area of the pitch that Liverpool are now stuffed with, Alberto and Teixeira have been loaned for the same reasons Suso was last year so they at least have a chance to catch the eye but the little Spaniards had that chance with some mixed results. If he is kept he is going to be lucky to make the match day 17 in the Prem and will have to hope for some cup action, loaning him again feels like admittance of failure maybe selling him with a buy back option would be the best for all parties.

With Balotelli coming in and so many others now I think it's time to give Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho & Henderson new deals with mega money buyout clauses in them.

The way they're playing it'd be stupid not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not sure if mentioned, but Sunderland also appear to be closing in on a loan deal for Coates.

http://paisleygates.com/?p=18553

Move makes a lot of sense as he will see virtually no game time if Agger and Toure end up staying. If Coates can prove himself as a Premier League class defender then we can just bring him back into the fold next season and use him as cover instead of Agger and Toure, who I'd both expect to be leaving. It's vital that Coates can get a full season playing regularly under his belt and I think that Poyet can definitely get the best out of him, just like he did with Borini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Or just give them more money. Why bother with the buyout clause?

From Twitter.

Loans with options to buy are a pain.

I'd hazard a guess the option won't be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

any talk of when Lallana will be fit?

Is it right to say that of our summer buys we're yet to see Markovic, Can, Lallana, Moreno and Balotelli?

goes to show how good the squad is now with Enrique, Flanagan, Suso all not involved at the moment

Would love to take Song on loan with an option to buy as well as getting in some decent GK alternative to Mignolet.

IMO i'd actually prefer a keeper to replace Mignolet

Or just give them more money. Why bother with the buyout clause?

Sterling and Coutinho will become targets of Madrid and Barca in the next few seasons and as we have seen they always get what they want so why not put £100m+ buyout clauses in their contracts as well as a pay rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

If there is one player who has been largely overlooked this summer its Suso, apart from a rather tenuous link with Seville as a makeweight in the Moreno deal we've not heard anything about his future. Its hard to know what best to do with him. Talented but in an area of the pitch that Liverpool are now stuffed with, Alberto and Teixeira have been loaned for the same reasons Suso was last year so they at least have a chance to catch the eye but the little Spaniards had that chance with some mixed results. If he is kept he is going to be lucky to make the match day 17 in the Prem and will have to hope for some cup action, loaning him again feels like admittance of failure maybe selling him with a buy back option would be the best for all parties.

I don't think Suso got a Future with us.

He's Slow to be a Liverpool Winger, and makes too many Idiotic Mistakes in Defense to be a Midfielder.

At this Point in Time, I think Tex has more Chance of making it with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Sterling and Coutinho will become targets of Madrid and Barca in the next few seasons and as we have seen they always get what they want so why not put £100m+ buyout clauses in their contracts as well as a pay rise.

or just make Madrid and Barca pay what their worth at the time if we want to sell them, rather then set that fee now - even if it is exorbitant it can only tie our hands, who knows what will happen in the next couple of years with transfer fees.

Its awfully quiet in here for match day! :(

or just make Madrid and Barca pay what their worth at the time if we want to sell them, rather then set that fee now - even if it is exorbitant it can only tie our hands, who knows what will happen in the next couple of years with transfer fees.

Well Barca didn't pay what Suarez was worth, Yes we got a great deal but he was worth a lot more when you see what Di Maria is going for.

If we put £100m+ buyout clauses in contracts that alone might just put them off bidding and if not then how about whoever tries to buy player must break the world record clause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

slingerz wrote: »
    IMO i'd actually prefer a keeper to replace Mignolet

Not gonna happen unless he has a howler of a season. A good backup would be a great addition. I would have loved Reina to still be with us as I still think overall he was a better keeper, but he did have those blunders which are hard to ignore. On the other hand I wouldn't **** myself everytime the ball was crossed into the box or at his feet either.

A decent backup and a better GK coach who could teach Mig to use his feet better. As it is, when he kicks the ball it's going to an opposition player or into the stands.

I'd like to see any buy-out clauses set at £39,999,999.99p for example.

This will prevent any bidding clubs from embarrassing themselves by having to offer Xmillion and 1p.

From Twitter.
    That's a bargain for Napoli. Could easy see him going there and helping Napoli to win the league. The slower pace will suit him down to the ground and he should be able to dominate most games.

If he goes though, then there's going to be massive pressure on Can to come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Well Barca didn't pay what Suarez was worth, Yes we got a great deal but he was worth a lot more when you see what Di Maria is going for.

If we put £100m+ buyout clauses in contracts that alone might just put them off bidding and if not then how about whoever tries to buy player must break the world record clause.

Do you really think having a higher release clause means we would have gotten more money for him? A player is only worth what another club is willing to pay for him, especially if your cashing in on him as we were with Suarez.

A contract can last up to 5 years, so you really think that 100m, or even 120m, would be a world record transfer in 5 years?

Maybe Agger and Johnson would like to join Lucas in Italy.

Do you really think having a higher release clause means we would have gotten more money for him? A player is only worth what another club is willing to pay for him, especially if your cashing in on him as we were with Suarez.

A contract can last up to 5 years, so you really think that 100m, or even 120m, would be a world record transfer in 5 years?

Well thats why I added the last part about breaking the world record as part of a contract.

Anyway it makes no difference Sterling and Coutinho will be off to Spain in a few seasons anyway and there is nothing the club can do to stop it once Madrid and Barca come in.

I don't think Suso got a Future with us.

He's Slow to be a Liverpool Winger, and makes too many Idiotic Mistakes in Defense to be a Midfielder.

At this Point in Time, I think Tex has more Chance of making it with us.
    The loan spell at Almeria seriously damaged him and he took back an awful lot of the bad habits he picked up there to Anfield (poor decision making and poor ball retention). You also have to remember that his contract expires in less than a year. I cannot see him signing another contract only to be sent out on loan again and I can't see him getting any game time with all the new attackers we've got in the team. Most likely scenario for him now is that he waits out the last year of his contract in the reserves or on loan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement