Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Now we finish with 9 men, things couldn't get any worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Chalk it off lads, on paper our 2nd most difficult game all season. Lovren had a stinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Fck! It looks like Skrtel is Injured too.

And now Moreno!! Are we bloody jinxed or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The new Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

He'll be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Calling Flanno, come in Flanno, do you read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Fair play to Moreno for playing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Thankfully Moreno had little weight on his back foot otherwise that could a been nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Moreno probably out for sunday now.

Brendan should have a good think about playing three at the back. I reckon Flanno could adapt to add to our CB's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

It's the second game of a long season there were some good points Lambert scored and Johnson maybe be out for the next game. 36 games still to go.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    It's the second game of a long season there were some good points Lambert scored and Johnson maybe be out for the next game. 36 games still to go.

Own goal surely rather than Lambert's goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

5starpool wrote: »

Yup, went down as an OG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

At least we have the likes of Enrique and Manquillo to call upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Vicxas wrote: »
    Moreno probably out for sunday now.

Might just have sprained it. Sometimes you can run those off if it's not severe.

Ah here, will ye give it a rest for being happy about the Johnson injury. How can we get rid of him if he's out for 6 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Knex. wrote: »
    At least we have the likes of Enrique and Manquillo to call upon.

And Flanagan. Sakho (who really should be starting imo) and Agger at CB if Skrtel is out. Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

5starpool wrote: »
    Ok so Lambert was in and around the area when a goal was scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Lol at the posters saying it's maybe time to start benching Gerrard. One of our only players who didn't look completely lost out there tonight.

And Flanagan. Sakho (who really should be starting imo) and Agger at CB if Skrtel is out.

Flanno not still injured? But yeah, I'd agree with ya.

Not too bitterly disappointed about tonight's game. See what we can do now, next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think it was a tough game for lovren and Moreno to start with. They will get better, manky will get a chance now with glen jo out. Tough game, let's move on. Oh and we really need to play with two upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

Really need to look at getting a top class keeper in because Mignolet is not the answer.

Lol at the posters saying it's maybe time to start benching Gerrard. One of our only players who didn't look completely lost out there tonight.

Thought himself and Allen played well.

Coutinho and Henderson had off nights, and as a result, Sturridge wasn't able to get much going.

I think Coutinho out wide should be given a rest. Either play him cm/cam, or let Markovic or someone else play. Balotelli joining will change a lot, anyway, you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Well that was depressing , same ol same ol in defence, toothless in attack aside from the 10 mins after markovic came on .

Same useless defensive mistakes and no magic up front.

Sterling was poor, Coutinho quiet after a decent opening spell.

Lovern was a shambles.

Welcome to England Moreno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Moreno was at fault for the 1st goal but I think played well. Worried about Can. Looked poor when he came on. Markovic looked decent. Lovren was playing well but very poor for the 2nd & 3rd goal. Coutinho was very poor.

The first half an hour just lulled us into a false sense of security! :(

Need to pick up something on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Fair reflection of the two teams tonight.

We played decent enough. They are so clinical though and a cut above us in every part of the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Markovic definitely looks like a player. Looks so balanced with the ball. Going to push Coutinho for that starting place.

Barring the one mistake, forgivable on his debut, Moreno looks the business

Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Not dominant enough for me. All well and good spraying 30 yard passes under little pressure. When the ball is on the deck around the middle he was found wanting.

Yaya controlled and bossed the game

MD1990 wrote: »
    Moreno was at fault for the 1st goal but I think played well. Worried about Can. Looked poor when he came on. Markovic looked decent. Lovren was playing well but very poor for the 2nd & 3rd goal. Coutinho was very poor.

Yeah thought the same, touch of a rapist out there tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Poor result and poor performance. We were the better team until the first goal, but unfortunately our habit of giving away soft goals has cost us. Lovren, Moreno and Mignolet all poor defensively. Can didn't cover himself in glory either.

On the positive side, Moreno at least looks decent going forward. We were able to make substitutions that made a difference in Markovic and Lambert, in contrast to the likes of Lambert last year.

And Man City were impressive; we won't be the only big side there to go there and get beaten. Need to win the home games against the big sides, but I can take an away defeat to the champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

flanzer wrote: »
    Markovic definitely looks like a player. Looks so balanced with the ball. Going to push Coutinho for that starting place.

Barring the one mistake, forgivable on his debut, Moreno looks the business

Onwards and upwards.

Moreno was awful defending tonight. Going forward, not so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not dominant enough for me. All well and good spraying 30 yard passes under little pressure. When the ball is on the deck around the middle he was found wanting.

Yaya controlled and bossed the game

Great player when you are on top and controlling the game he is nowhere when the tide turns and we are been dominated. Allen is comfortably our best DM he had a solid game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think Ballo or Lazar have to be up with Sterling and Sturridge.

Cout needs to drop back to the middle three, I'd risk Gerrard, Hendo/Allen/Can and Cout.

Manquillo at Right back, I'd probably get Sakho back into left back as well just to try and stabilise things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Again Coutinho was poor. I won't be harsh on him but I think he needs to be benched for Spurs.

Not too downhearted but it could be a long road while Rodgers gets this team settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Well we are trying to bed in a lot of new players so hiccups like this will happen.

Still need a quality tough as nails midfielder to lead the game. I was hoping Can or Hendo would do that but guess they are a couple of seasons from that yet. Moreno was ball watching a little bit but is generally good although I am happy with Flanno anyway.

They just need some more time that's all. Hopefully this result will kick them up the ass. Spurs will be a difficult test for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Same useless defensive mistakes and no magic up front.

Sterling was poor, Coutinho quiet after a decent opening spell.

Lovern was a shambles.

Welcome to England Moreno

Sterling was hardly poor and few teams will go to Etihad and have as many chances as we did (even if it wasn't that many)

Much better performance than last week, just up against a great team who punish every single mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Well that was depressing , same ol same ol in defence, toothless in attack aside from the 10 mins after markovic came on .

I'm more Disheartened by Lovren's performance, the common denominator for all three goals, get Sakho in there for him pronto(depending on Skrtle's injury)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Better side for the first 35 minutes but didn't create much. City weren't doing anything themselves but one bad defensive error and it it was 1-0 at half-time. Can't do that against the top sides.

Some of the defending wasn't great to say the least for the other City goals but we did have two new players on the left side of our defence who have never played with each other before. Had some half-chances ourselves but Sturridge seemed a bit isolated at times. Lambert should have scored his 2nd chance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I don't think we should be reading too much into the game. It will probably be our toughest away fixture and we competed well for the most part.

City are a very tough proposition when you fall behind to them. We needed to get that first goal to get something from the game. When they got it it was always going to be tough.

The third goal was very poor though. Not sure what Mignolet was at.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Again Coutinho was poor. I won't be harsh on him but I think he needs to be benched for Spurs.

Not too downhearted but it could be a long road while Rodgers gets this team settled.

Agreed, he might benefit being more of an impact sub. I think for the tough, physical games he gets silenced pretty easily.

Sterling was hardly poor and few teams will go to Etihad and have as many chances as we did (even if it wasn't that many)

Much better performance than last week, just up against a great team who punish every single mistake

He did very little once City scored.

Sturridge needs proper help up there asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Moreno was awful defending tonight. Going forward, not so bad

Aren't they all?

Sterling was our best player by a mile - how anyone can call him useless is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

To be fair also, Manchester City are a freight train of a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

We are getting bodies back defending but it looks too easy to bypass players. Its like schoolyard defending where everyone is drawn to the ball. Not many players seem to cover the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bleh, we were playing City away, so we have to be realistic. At the same time though, that defeat hurt.

Have been a big defender of Mignolet, but he wasn't great tonight by any means.

Johnson was poor, but to be honest, I don't think he was our worse player.

Moreno other than the howler did quite well, I hope his ankle is ok as he will be a key player for us without question.

Skrtel was our best defender without question, no mistakes, only one or two slack passes.

Lovren looked a little bit shaky, a bit indecisive. Not saying he played badly, but he could have been better.

Gerrard was the best of the midfielders and other than rubbish set pieces, he did well and put himself about a lot.

Allen was decent, less effective then Gerrard but showed for the ball and kept it simple, not really penetrating with his passes.

Thought Henderson was awful. It seemed like all our attacks just ended with himself or Coutinho losing the ball cheaply or conceding high up the pitch and exposing us to the counter.

Coutinho - see above.

Sterling was very bright in the first half but looked to fade badly as the second half went on.

Sturridge was always feeding on scraps, maybe could have done better with the 1-2 half chances he got. At least he fought well to win the ball and provide the assist for our consolation goal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement