Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Rodgers is just as much to blame as Johnson because he won't drop a player who clearly is not and has not been in form to play top class football for the last season or so.

He will be dropped. Wouldn't have been right starting both Moreno and Manquillo tonight.

And Lovren only making his second start as well.

garra wrote: »
    Yaya will do that all right, but Gerrard was the least of our problems tonight. I reckon Can should start alongside Hendo in front of Stevie for Spurs

Allen was good tonight. Don't see any reason to drop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mr Alan wrote: »
    3) Moreno will take considerable time to settle. Positive signs tonight, but defensively he looks very very slack. Wanted to see more from Lovern too.
    Agree with everything but that. Thought Moreno did well, looked to have great physical attributes and was decent on the ball. Reckon he will learn from the mistake and come on from it in the next few games, nailing down his starting place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

djPSB wrote: »

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

djPSB wrote: »

One of our best performers tonight too. Good touch and movement when on the ball but needs to take few more risks in attack. Covered the defence better than Gerrard too. He was ok on the ball Gerrard tonight but offers very little to his defence. Lovren must feel like roaring at him already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Too right it is.

Maybe you should have robbed that toilet seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Gerrard played well tonight but from a balance perspective, is he somewhat of a luxury? We don't struggle for creativity. We struggle defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Also looking forward to see more of Markovic. Jaysis hes a flyer and we were a hell of alot more fluid going forward when he was brought on. Nearly scored couple of goals straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Hope those who we're calling for Manquillo and Moreno to start tonight have learned their lesson. As bad as Johnson was in possession, and he was ****e, nothing came down City's left hand side all night. Instead it was out two new boys city attacked.

Moreno was shocking for the first goal, sunday league stuff. What was he waiting for? I HATE to see players waiting for the ball to drop on their preferred foot before clearing it. Just swing your right boot at it Alberto!

Up until then we played pretty well, passed it about nicely. Could have got a few shots off outside the box instead of doing an arsenal on it and trying to walk it in. Hope that doesnt become a pattern, when the opportunity is there to shoot, shoot.

Coutinho for me flatters to deceive a lot of the time. He goes missing in games far too often. I thought he was probably our worst player tonight. Havent a clue what he was doing for the second goal, just abandoning his position to run up the pitch when city were attacking???

Thought Lovern played pretty well for all the stick the lads at SKY were giving him. Attacked the ball, strong in the air, passed it about pretty well. Its only his second game but i can see himself and Sktel building a good relationship hopefully.

Mignolet p*ss poor for the third goal as well. Where was his starting position when navas picked up the ball? Over the far right hand side of the goal? People gave about about Reina that time a few years back but Mignolet was just as bad trying to cover his near post tonight. So slow to react. Poor poor goalkeeping.

All in all we missed the killer ball in the final third. Nothing seemed to drop for us and a few errors cost us. We played well enough and hopefully we can start the same next sunday as we did tonight. I wouldnt fear Spurs at all.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    One of our best performers tonight too. Good touch and movement when on the ball but needs to take few more risks in attack. Covered the defence better than Gerrard too. He was ok on the ball Gerrard tonight but offers very little to his defence. Lovren must feel like roaring at him already!

If we get Balotelli up front with Sturridge and Sterling playing off them, we'll be a different team going forward. Sturridge too isolated at the minute.

We've even looked alot better for the few minutes Lambert's been on the pitch.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »
    Gerrard played well tonight but from a balance perspective, is he somewhat of a luxury? We don't struggle for creativity. We struggle defensively.

Gerrard was grand defensively tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Sterling gave Clichy a torrid game when he was given service

Apart from the one free kick he got out of Clichy early on, Sterling didnt get any change out of Clichy all night. City's back line contained us pretty well for the majority of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What did people expect really? City are a very strong team, on our day we are capable of beating them but I don't think anyone can be too surprised with the scoreline especially considering how many new players we have in our squad, it's going to take them a while to gel. Only caught bits of the game because I couldn't find a good stream but I thought Moreno looked a bit dodgy at the back, seemed to get caught out of position a few times, think he will settle down though and improve over time, hopefully this settling in period for the backline won't take too long because we can't afford to give away stupid goals every weekend. Emre Can actually stood out in terms of how bad he was when he came on, but then again it was hardly an ideal scenario to be making your debut, lucky he didn't get a second yellow for that shocking dive. Still far too early to judge any of the new signings to be honest.

People saying oh we need a new keeper, a new centre midfielder, a new right back, etc. you're probably right, there are still positions that need to be strengthened but I think we have to be happy with how this window has gone so far, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if we made any further signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Would be surprised if we didn't play a diamond Sunday. Rodgers has mentioned we are unbeaten in that formation. 7 wins 1 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

1. Seems we cannot really play one up front as Sturridge gets marked out of the game.
    2. No point having flying wing backs if the covering CM's are slow.
    3. We don't have to go for the juggler in every single game. Might be no harm playing ugly and getting a result rather than playing pretty and getting nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Apart from the one free kick he got out of Clichy early on, Sterling didnt get any change out of Clichy all night. City's back line contained us pretty well for the majority of the game.

He went past him a few times got to the byeline and won a few frees, more than spare change in my book, most of it was early enough though and he went more centrally as the game progressed.

Still think that City gave up a few chances tonight that on another day we'd have scored more from, Sturridge made 2 decent chances off Kompany that largely went unnoticed on Sky cos Sturridge didn't convert either. Not many teams will create as much away against City.

As for Johnson now being out, Brendan has a tough choice to play a backline that clearly needs time together for a few weeks. Gona have to be patient lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Agger is far too slow to play DM.
    You don't need pace when you've got a forearm that can stop traffic.

Danial-Agger.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Some amount of negativity on here. I thought we were decent for the most part and will do well this year. Id be reasonably confident of getting top 4 again which realistically has to be the aim. Not a chance of competing for the title IMO.
    Two games in and if you discount Chelsea and City in the race for the top 4 as they are nailed on.
    Spurs 6
    Arsenal 4
    Liverpool 3
    Everton 2
    Utd 1
    We have had the hardest start out of the 5 teams we are competing with for the remaining 2 spots a draw or a win at spurs and its a reasonable or good start.
    Regarding Gerrard he was one of our better players tonight along with sterling, allen and sturridge at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Hope those who we're calling for Manquillo and Moreno to start tonight have learned their lesson. As bad as Johnson was in possession, and he was ****e, nothing came down City's left hand side all night. Instead it was out two new boys city attacked.

Moreno was shocking for the first goal, sunday league stuff. What was he waiting for? I HATE to see players waiting for the ball to drop on their preferred foot before clearing it. Just swing your right boot at it Alberto!

Up until then we played pretty well, passed it about nicely. Could have got a few shots off outside the box instead of doing an arsenal on it and trying to walk it in. Hope that doesnt become a pattern, when the opportunity is there to shoot, shoot.

Coutinho for me flatters to deceive a lot of the time. He goes missing in games far too often. I thought he was probably our worst player tonight. Havent a clue what he was doing for the second goal, just abandoning his position to run up the pitch when city were attacking???

Thought Lovern played pretty well for all the stick the lads at SKY were giving him. Attacked the ball, strong in the air, passed it about pretty well. Its only his second game but i can see himself and Sktel building a good relationship hopefully.

Mignolet p*ss poor for the third goal as well. Where was his starting position when navas picked up the ball? Over the far right hand side of the goal? People gave about about Reina that time a few years back but Mignolet was just as bad trying to cover his near post tonight. So slow to react. Poor poor goalkeeping.

All in all we missed the killer ball in the final third. Nothing seemed to drop for us and a few errors cost us. We played well enough and hopefully we can start the same next sunday as we did tonight. I wouldnt fear Spurs at all.

There'll be no trying to walk it in with Mario. He shoots from everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

especially considering how many new players we have in our squad

How long are we going to hear this for? How long is it an acceptable excuse for?

If we dis-improve on last season having spent over £100million, it'll be incredibly disappointing.

If we fall out of the top 4, I expect we'd have a new manager the following season.

Keep that in mind when making excuses that football is not a game where any real patience is afforded anymore. Much less when you've spent over £100m in 1 transfer window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

How long are we going to hear this for? How long is it an acceptable excuse for?

Well it's the 2nd game of the season. Might want to give it a tad longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Here we go the Rodgers Out bandwagon is in motion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

Mignolet is becoming a serious concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Shamelssly stolen from twitter, two newcommers have pushed up high, skrtel and johnson are very far behind, whos in the wrong?

319728.jpg

This was just before their 3rd goal, if skrtel and johnson are level aguero is offside, if lovren and moreno are deeper theorteically they can get to agureo quicker. New way of playing vs.old habbits?

Weve never been solid defensively under rodgers and the two most constant players are skrtel and johnson so i hope we arent going to be ignorant to the issue and just keep playing that way, i want to see sakho and lovren play together soon tbh.

On the aside, still some players to come in and find their feet and i think we need to have a look at the diamond again, we have options now so it will be nice to be able to switch things up, it took us a while to get going last season so im as optimistic as ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If we dis-improve on last season having spent over £100million, it'll be incredibly disappointing.

If we fall out of the top 4, I expect we'd have a new manager the following season.

Keep that in mind when making excuses that football is not a game where any real patience is afforded anymore. Much less when you've spent over £100m in 1 transfer window.

Have a word with yourself. Two games in, this one was likely to be just about the hardest of the entire campaign.

Well it's the 2nd game of the season. Might want to give it a tad longer.

Just out if curiosity, how long would you give it where that is an acceptable excuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Here we go the Rodgers Out bandwagon is in motion!

Thanks for pointing that out. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just out if curiosity, how long would you give it where that is an acceptable excuse?

A lot longer than 2 games anyway.

Have a word with yourself. Two games in, this one was likely to be just about the hardest of the entire campaign.

Just being a realist Mike

If we want top 4/title challenge the team has to bed in quick. If it doesn't & we don't produce either of those things this season, Rodgers, rightly or wrongly, despite his excellent work to date, will be packing his bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bring back Rafa

Why do you expect everything to go wrong all the time? Is it your innate character? Is this your default setting in real life? Or is it some internet jockey fabrication.

A lot longer than 2 games anyway.

A lot longer? Maybe 10 games? Do you realise if it takes that long for the team to bed in our season will be over?

Why do you expect everything to go wrong all the time? Is it your innate character? Is this your default setting in real life? Or is it some internet jockey fabrication.

What are you talking about Mike?

Don't confuse people - use my name :)

I'm talking about your pessimistic tone which is relentless and which reeks of needless panic for the sake of cheap melodrama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Thanks for pointing that out. Again.

Not sure what you're getting at.

Do you agree that 2 games in is a tad premature to be talking of BR being sacked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Not sure what you're getting at.

Do you agree that 2 games in is a tad premature to be talking of BR being sacked?

Did someone genuinely post that? Cab you link me please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

City were the better team, call a spade a spade. Was it not only chelsea who got something from their place last season? They were unbelievably clinical tonight and capitalised on errors. Simple as.

:confused: Its all Ifs & Buts with you. Just be patient & relax. Yes we lost but there is another 36 games to go. Hope our players & staff don't have a similar mindset to yours. There needs to be some balance when u lose & when u win.

Don't confuse people - use my name :)

I'm talking about your pessimistic tone which is relentless and which reeks of needless panic for the sake of cheap melodrama.

It's not needless panic Mike, it's just the logical thinking through of what people are actually saying. Put simply:

1) People saying poor performances/results like tonight to be expected as so many players bed in

My reaction: the PL is so competitive we can't really afford much "bedding in time" if we want to actually attain our goals

You with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

A lot longer? Maybe 10 games? Do you realise if it takes that long for the team to bed in our season will be over?

We can still win games while they're bedding in but it's unlikely to be away to the champions... We played well enough today to beat the vast majority of teams in the premiership. City are a bunch of monsters. Sure they brought on aguero, navas and fernandinho... That's BONKERS squad depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Load of ****e.

He's going through a rough patch, it happens with lots of players.

I'm pretty sure he does 'give a ****'.

Sick of seeing every thread on here gloss over his good moments and focus on the bad.

Some 'supporters' always need a bogey-man on the team to vent their spleen on. Guess you're one of them.

a rough patch? he has being desperate going forward for the last two years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ok I didn't see the interview but these quotes from Rodgers sound a lot better than what people were saying he said (lie he didn't want him?)

“I looked at the talent and he is a wonderful talent,” said Rodgers when explained why his categorical denial that Balotelli would become a Liverpool player was not as categorical as he made out.
    “We potentially will have the English number nine and the Italian number nine. Mario is at a stage in his career where this might be his last chance. He needs to settle down and show maturity but I have worked with loads of players like that. He has huge potential but he needs to come here and be consistent and if he can do that then we have one hell of a player.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/balotelli-needs-to-deliver-right-now-1.1907806

He talking about your negative mindset. After we lose saying if we don't get top 4 Rodgers will be gone. We are 2 games in ffs. Get some perspective & some patience.

It's not needless panic Mike, it's just the logical thinking through of what people are actually saying. Put simply:

1) People saying poor performances/results like tonight to be expected as so many players bed in

My reaction: the PL is so competitive we can't really afford much "bedding in time" if we want to actually attain our goals

You with me?

Enough. Of. This. From. YOU.

Goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A month or two at the very least I'd imagine. At times last season watching Liverpool was beautiful, free flowing football, you cannot expect a whole bunch of new players to come in and and for this not to slightly dip. Top four has to be the goal for this season but we have to realise it won't be easy, when you have City & Chelsea who are backed by billionaires and then Arsenal & United who have consistently been top four teams for the past 15 years, it's hard to say we should be expected to finish in the top four. We definitely should be expected to challenge, but it's not as straight forward as you're making it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Did someone genuinely post that? Cab you link me please?

The master of "positivity" Mr Alan of course. Don't engage it's just knee jerk thrash.

Sack our best manager in god knows how long????

MD1990 wrote: »
    He talking about your negative mindset. After we lose saying if we don't get top 4 Rodgers will be gone. We are 2 games in ffs. Get some perspective & some patience.

How is that a negative mindset?

I think we have a great chance of getting top 4?! Pointing out the likely outcome if we don't doesn't indicate otherwise?! It's just realism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

You with me?

Do you not think the owners realise this is a long term project?!? We can't just buy ready made superstars like city and Chelsea (or even united). They won't be sacking Rodgers of we come 5th. Not a chance. He's here for a while barring a total disaster. The difference in how you discuss Brendan to how positive you used to be during rafas reign is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

You know full well what he's talking about, Alan.

You rarely Post, when we're Wining. But when we do Lose, you're out in Full Force.

but it's not as straight forward as you're making it out to be.

I suspect our owners will think it is

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement