Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rob316 wrote: »
    The master of "positivity" Mr Alan of course. Don't engage it's just knee jerk thrash.

Sack our best manager in god knows how long????

I didnt see the post where Alan called for Rodgers to be sacked. Can you quote it to me as i cant find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Goals conceded against the "top" sides in the league recently.
    2012/2013:

Man United away: 2 goals conceded
    City away: 2 goals conceded
    Arsenal away: 2 goals conceded
    Chelsea away: 1 goal conceded (Chelsea mediocre at this point)
    Everton away: 2 goals conceded
    Spurs away: 2 goals conceded

2013/2014:
    Man United away: 0 goals conceded (Moyes era in full effect)
    City away: 2 goals conceded
    Arsenal away: 2 goals conceded
    Chelsea away: 2 goals conceded
    Everton away: 3 goals conceded
    Spurs away: 0 goals conceded (Spurs ****e during this period)

2014/2015:
    City away: 3 goals conceded

Bascially against any of the big teams we are good bet to concede at least 2 goals each game. That can't continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You know full well what he's talking about, Alan.

You rarely Post, when we're Wining. But when we do Lose, you're out in Full Force.

Horse****.

I post plenty when we're winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Just being a realist Mike

If we want top 4/title challenge the team has to bed in quick. If it doesn't & we don't produce either of those things this season, Rodgers, rightly or wrongly, despite his excellent work to date, will be packing his bags.

Rodgers earned another season after the title challenge, sacking him would be daft and for me, would be only coming from the likes of you who never rated him in the first place.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Rodgers earned another season after the title challenge, sacking him would be daft and for me, only coming from the likes of you who never rated him in the first place.

I think regardless of where we finish this season, his job should be safe. I just think anyone with a brain will know that it most probably wouldn't be, unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Horse****.

I post plenty when we're winning.

Oh but your banker to be in here when we loose and in full force.

I didnt see the post where Alan called for Rodgers to be sacked. Can you quote it to me as i cant find it?

I didn't say that anywhere.

He is either not able to understand my posts or he is intentionally misrepresenting them just to have a pop. Weird behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Bv5zGryIQAAFieB.jpg:large

Seems happy to be back at City....

Weird seeing that logo on his trackies :D

he tried his best to hide it with his big scarf lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

How is that a negative mindset?

I think we have a great chance of getting top 4?! Pointing out the likely outcome if we don't doesn't indicate otherwise?! It's just realism
    Because every If u are saying is negative. You rarely post after wins as well. Whenever we lose your in here straight away criticising everything. No balance in your posts at all.

• Advertisement

Oh but your banker to be in here when we loose and in full force.

Actually win, lose or draw, usually I post.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Despite going behind, Allen was magnificent in that first half. Looks a new player.

have to hold my hand up...thought Allen was useless in other games, but he was good in parts tonight. Played much better than Henderson who was poison

MD1990 wrote: »
    Because every If u are saying is negative. You rarely post after wins as well. Whenever we lose your in here straight away criticising everything. No balance in your posts at all.

Balance? Wtf are you talking about?

What have I said tonight that you fundamentally disagree with?

That if we finish outside the top 4 Rodgers may lose his job? (wrongly IMO)

That if we want to attain our goals our new signings need to settle quickly?

What's the problem exactly?

martyos121 wrote: »
    Brendan should have a good think about playing three at the back. I reckon Flanno could adapt to add to our CB's.

wha?!!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

He will not win the league (with Liverpool) but Rodgers will absolutely last the full season. However I do think he will seriously regret buying Ballotelli. He has already proven he can manage spoilt brats, he went too far signing another one. He should have concentrated on moulding the new players into the team.

Ballotelli will be built up by the media and fans once he starts banging in a few goals. The same media will keep building him up while hounding him all the time. Eventually Ballotelli will do something stupid on, or most likely off the pitch and then his and Liverpool's season will fall apart and the media will feast on the misery. Just my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

How long are we going to hear this for? How long is it an acceptable excuse for?

The season is two games old one of which we won and you are needlessly baiting people with this ****e , yes the excuses are valid now , will they be valid 10-15 games in ? not so much . And thats when this sort of post would be warranted.
    If we dis-improve on last season having spent over £100million, it'll be incredibly disappointing.

If we fall out of the top four after spending that it will be incredibly frustrating , not the top 2, given we lost Suarez and City and Chelsea are stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Steve Clarke anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think regardless of where we finish this season, his job should be safe. I just think anyone with a brain will know that it most probably wouldn't be, unfortunately :(

We've a settled club now, I can't see another Kenny scenario where the owners got rid pretty quickly.

The owners will be aware of the big money spent but also the strategy behind it, obviously, and losing Suarez wasn't going to be easy. Getting from the 7/8th places we had to regular CL football is difficult, especially with maybe 7 teams going for CL football this season.

It's very, very early to be talking about it, United have only 1 point, Everton 2. For me I'll be expecting a good top 4 challenge and the new signings bedding in.

I think Rodgers has earned that, especially his record since Jan 13. Talking of sacking, even hypothetically is madness at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Rodgers job is safe unless Liverpool finish 8th or below. Or he is caught in bed with Linda.

I calmed down a lot after I started thinking about supporting Liverpool as a long haul pursuit. I mean real long haul as in the next 40 years or more. Some of you should try it. It's very Zen.

The short term disappears completely, and the medium term has its bumps smoothed out.

Sterling was hardly poor

in fairness he was decent in the first half. In the second he had two players on him, BR should have moved him to the other side, nasri wouldn't have been switched

Its way too early to be saying at this stage If we don't make the top 4 etc. What a mean in terms of balance is not having a knee jerk reactions to wins & losses. Your the same after every loss always very negative. We have a young team Rodgers will keep his job unless we finish 7th or 8th & do poor in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

He went past him a few times got to the byeline and won a few frees, more than spare change in my book, most of it was early enough though and he went more centrally as the game progressed.

He won maybe one free kick and a corner. Clichy played him pretty well and he certainly wasn't given a 'torrid' time all night. As the game wore on sterling was less and less involved, ultimately getting subbed. No change given in my book.

Its way too early to be saying at this stage If we don't make the top 4 etc. What a mean in terms of balance is not having a knee jerk reactions to wins & losses. Your the same after every loss always very negative.

In no way shape or form is it too early to ponder what happens "if we don't make the top 4"....it's too early to say "we aren't going to make top 4", definitely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

**** me. Mentions of Brendan losing he's job. And I thought the United forum was mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Meh, i'm gonna stick to the same philosophy I had from the start of last season - only going to judge points totals based on 5 game periods - if we're getting 2 points per game over each 5 game segment, i'm happy out. You'd drive yourself nuts getting carried away with each and every result.

Why are you even bringing up Rodgers losing his job(whether you would agree with it or not) 2 games into the season Alan.

Why be needlessly provocative by asking how many games certain excuses will be valid for 2 games into the season.

Your like Tom Cruise in Minority Reports precrime unit trying to stop crimes that haven't even happened yet , it's ridiculous , get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

good spells in the game at times but few players new to the team and system will need time to gel better. No shame in losing at the Etihad against a very good city performance. We will get better and in fairness its grand getting the toughest away fixture out of the way first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Far too much negativity on here:

https://vine.co/v/MlqKXxJnrKO

Our pressing disappointed me again. Last season we pressed teams relentlessly and forced them to turn over the ball which we attacked quickly from. None of that evident so far against Southampton or City tonight.

was just about to post about this. no pressing whatsoever, against a team like city, you just cant stand off them. You need to press players like silva and nasri, really simple stuff.. I was raging watching the match

I though Can's performance was alarming. Looks like he is carrying to much musle mass. Was lacking mobility & fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

marno21 wrote: »
    Far too much negativity on here:

https://vine.co/v/MlqKXxJnrKO

That clip admittedly is amusing, but Liverpool fans directly tweeting Johnson abuse is embarrassing, especially expressing their delight in his injury.

That clip admittedly is amusing, but Liverpool fans directly tweeting Johnson abuse is embarrassing, especially expressing their delight in his injury.

People can unfortunately be pretty shit.

Reasonably happy after that.
    Never thought we'd take anything from that particular fixture and we showed enough glimpses of what we're capable of.
    Onward and upward.
    A result against Spurs next weekend and everything's rosy.

The anti-Johnson tirade is becoming incredibly tiresome btw - what is it with some 'supporters' that there has to always be someone to be overly negative about?

agreed with everything except your last paragraph.. Jonhson is poison, loses the ball nearly every time, and bad defensively.. do you think he had a good game tonight :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Why not Allen he was faultless tonight probably our MOTM.

I've been fairly critical of Allen but I thought he had a good game earlier and would have him in the starting XI over Can or Lucas.

Everybody has their opinion and thats football but I think you deliberately derail this thread by exaggerating the frailties of the side and management to amuse yourself by winding up fellow boardsies.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I have pretty much none, unless it's a save that's completely instinctive like last weekend's save.

in every other facet, he's far too average.

the effort to save the 3rd goal was plain horrendous.

have to say bar the goals Mignolet's distribution was ok tonight..compared to usual.. he was looking for short passes and didnt really kick it into touch alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That clip is brilliant :pac:

mada999 wrote: »
    agreed with everything except your last paragraph.. Jonhson is poison, loses the ball nearly every time, and bad defensively.. do you think he had a good game tonight :confused:

Personally, I think he's been rubbish for way too long, and shouldn't be first choice anymore. From this point onwards, i'll blame the manager for selecting him just as much as the player, as he's been consistently poor.

I do absolutely hate the pure vitriol people express though, delighting in an injury etc. As was posted above, directly messaging him with abuse on twitter etc is about as horrible as people can get imo, especially considering that it's being done from the safety of ones keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The main thing is to bounce back against Spurs on Sunday. Sure tonight was disappointing but we must look ahead. Back to the diamond formation next maybe.
    Lazar Markovic is a star in the making that is for sure.

I though Can's performance was alarming. Looks like he is carrying to much musle mass. Was lacking mobility & fitness.

Yeh he wasn't up to much from what I saw, at one point we lost the ball just outside the box and YaYa was winding up for a shot and Can just didn't look bothered. He was only on 5 minutes so tiredness or a lack of mobility was no excuse, he just looked disinterested(it was 3-1 i guess). Of our new players the 3 M's of Manquillo Moreno and Markovic showed more so far.

Yeh I'll admit I've given Johnson a fair amount of stick in match threads to my friends but I'd never direct tweet him and can't understand why anyone would. Its a vicious circle, he gets abused because he plays like he can't be arsed but he probably can't be arsed because he's getting abused.

• Advertisement

That is the key game really. Said at the season that City and Chelsea were the clear, clear favourite for the title and so far they haven't disappointed.

that's mad saying chelsea are a shoe in for 2nd spot considering they've player 2 promotion teams in the first 2 games, and also considering Leicester should really have scored a couple themselves. Chelsea have a serious midfield but they are still lacking up front even with Costa scoring a couple of goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

The main thing is to bounce back against Spurs on Sunday. Sure tonight was disappointing but we must look ahead. Back to the diamond formation next maybe.
    Lazar Markovic is a star in the making that is for sure.

Well.... Come on....... I wouldn't go that far...... Give him a few more games at least!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Think it's time to accept the fact that certain individuals on here won't be happy until Rodgers is sacked and Rafa is reappointed. Of course Rafa would have had no issue beating the champions at home with 2 new men in the back 4 (one of which was a debutant).

Think I will be thinking twice about coming in here on Monday nights after we lose. Wait til LFC go on a win streak again and a certain poster will be "busy with a new job" again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Would Super Mario have made a difference last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Maybe, but he couldn't have done anything about conceding 3 goals. That's down to bad defending and the fact that City are damn good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well the 16M we paid would of brought us closer to the cost of the city side.

• Advertisement

How is that a negative mindset?

I think we have a great chance of getting top 4?! Pointing out the likely outcome if we don't doesn't indicate otherwise?! It's just realism

ah jaysis you cant extrapolate a league position from two games ? sure city had only 3 points from their first 2 games last season, remember when cardiff beat them 3-2 in their second game.. come on get on the optimism bus, it's great, free weeds free chicks free booze, woo hoo, im not even wearing any khaks!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Meh, i'm gonna stick to the same philosophy I had from the start of last season - only going to judge points totals based on 5 game periods - if we're getting 2 points per game over each 5 game segment, i'm happy out. You'd drive yourself nuts getting carried away with each and every result.

So about 75 points or so is your aim?

My thoughts on tonight:

Liverpool: Started off brightly, had control of the game in the first half until the goal. Countho tried a few tricks and they failed.. failed to press City players throughout the game , gave to much space to City's midfield players

City: bit lackluster throughout the whole game, didn't look that fluid to be honest, pounced on mistakes. very slow, if they play like this in most games this season a better defense will stifle them.

Critical analysis: Really thought City had the best ref to suit their play tonight. Oliver tries to let the game go and does not really throw round cards (or didn't tonight) Fernando gave away countless fouls to break play up in midfield as did Toure and Kompany and did not get punished enough.

City were very sluggish in possession and Liverpool with all the pace in the side did not utilize it enough.

City were gifted 2 goals, all in all i don't think the game was great. Clinical finishing from city and poor defending from Liverpool was the difference imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

If that's City sluggish in possession ... sweet jebus. Fair enough they took a while to get going, but they were impressive at times especially in the second half.

If that's City sluggish in possession ... sweet jebus. Fair enough they took a while to get going, but they were impressive at times especially in the second half.

no pressing from Liverpool = City do what they like.. really poor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement