Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

mada999 wrote: »
    no pressing from Liverpool = City do what they like.. really poor

exactly what happened decided we would defend and hit them on the counter, only when we brought on markovic and lambert did we play we could of got 2 or 3 then, maybe city eased off but who knows. I think if we pressed early we would of got something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Ah lads sometimes they were chasing shadows ... i've not seen Hendo in particular been so far off the pace in a while, usually a beast in closing down but he was ran ragged at times. Allen seemed to have a better game than the other mids as far as closing down, we just seemed lopsided somewhat with Coutinho going invisible at times. The balance just didn't seem right to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dfx- wrote: »
    So about 75 points or so is your aim?

Considering the champions league games, yup, i'd be happy with being on course for 75 points with 10 games or so to go.

Around 75 - 78 points is always good enough for top 4 historically - if we're on target for that over the first half of the season in particular, i'll be quite happy.

Liverpool under Rodgers have tended to finish seasons strongly too - reckon with 10 games to go, we'll up that to more like 2.3 - 2.5 ppg.

Obviously i'd love a title challenge again, but since it's our first year back in the CL, and I want us to make a real challenge at it, my realistic attainable goal is consolidating 3rd or 4th and a decent Cl run. Anything above that is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mada999 wrote: »
    City were gifted 2 goals, all in all i don't think the game was great. Clinical finishing from city and poor defending from Liverpool was the difference imo.

Yeah it wasn't a great game to be honest. City were OK but not at their best. Liverpool were well below average. Nowhere near the quality of the two Liverpool v City games of last season. Then again it's very early in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a few things from last night's game. firstly a bit of analysis...

as i said in the match thread, it was a very odd game in a lot of ways, and i certainly had mixed feelings afterwards.

i thought we played alright. we controlled the game first half really, without any penetration. that happens sometimes when you come up against a very good team. they were organised, and we couldn't do much about it. it was a game where it was all about the first goal. both teams seemed to respect each other greatly in how they set up, and weren't willing to give too much away.

i was sure we'd be getting a winner, if we were to get one, after the 70th minute or something.

the problem was, as usual, our defence coughed up another mistake.

no defence made more mistakes leading to goals last season than us, and we did the same again last night. i feel for Moreno. he looked good, particularly going forward, but he learned a harsh lesson last night in how fast these games are. Lovren didn't cover himself in glory with his positioning either.

that was the game right there really.

we created a lot of situations, and a decent amount of proper chances, but just didn't have the clinical instinct that City showed. they're a settled team who are champions. that's what they tend to do.

what can we take from it all?

well IMO, Mignolet isn't the keeper to take us to that next level. unless it's instinctive, i never expect him to make a big save. Jovetic's shot was quick, but a top keeper probably wouldn't have essentially jumped over it. the Aguero shot was quite poor, and Mig didn't get near it. this may sound harsh, but it's the reality of that extra bit of quality we need.

Johnson proved again that he's a broken docket. QPR need to take him off our hands.

that defence in general needs work. there are too many gaps. some of that will be solved with training. but a lot of work is needed.

Allen showed a lot last night. i was impressed, and he should keep his place in the team next week, with Coutinho dropped and Markovic also coming in.

Sterling was ok. he and Gerrard were the only ones releasing the ball quickly last night. he does have that special something as we know, but he needs others to step up too.

Lambert has made a difference twice now this season. good stuff. he's not comfortable yet though. he would have buried that chance from 8 yards for Southampton.

so, lots to work on, but i was ok with the performance in general.

it's very important not to lose on Sunday to Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yeah it wasn't a great game to be honest. City were OK but not at their best. Liverpool were well below average. Nowhere near the quality of the two Liverpool v City games of last season. Then again it's very early in the season.

It was a horrible wet night in Manchester. We were sloppy at he back thanks to a CB and LB that never played together before. Its no excuse but the resounding agreement seems to be time together to fix it. Which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

SlickRic wrote: »
    a few things from last night's game. firstly a bit of analysis...

as i said in the match thread, it was a very odd game in a lot of ways, and i certainly had mixed feelings afterwards.

i thought we played alright. we controlled the game first half really, without any penetration. that happens sometimes when you come up against a very good team. they were organised, and we couldn't do much about it. it was a game where it was all about the first goal. both teams seemed to respect each other greatly in how they set up, and weren't willing to give too much away.

i was sure we'd be getting a winner, if we were to get one, after the 70th minute or something.

the problem was, as usual, our defence coughed up another mistake.

no defence made more mistakes leading to goals last season than us, and we did the same again last night. i feel for Moreno. he looked good, particularly going forward, but he learned a harsh lesson last night in how fast these games are. Lovren didn't cover himself in glory with his positioning either.

that was the game right there really.

we created a lot of situations, and a decent amount of proper chances, but just didn't have the clinical instinct that City showed. they're a settled team who are champions. that's what they tend to do.

what can we take from it all?

well IMO, Mignolet isn't the keeper to take us to that next level. unless it's instinctive, i never expect him to make a big save. Jovetic's shot was quick, but a top keeper probably wouldn't have essentially jumped over it. the Aguero shot was quite poor, and Mig didn't get near it. this may sound harsh, but it's the reality of that extra bit of quality we need.

Johnson proved again that he's a broken docket. QPR need to take him off our hands.

that defence in general needs work. there are too many gaps. some of that will be solved with training. but a lot of work is needed.

Allen showed a lot last night. i was impressed, and he should keep his place in the team next week, with Coutinho dropped and Markovic also coming in.

Sterling was ok. he and Gerrard were the only ones releasing the ball quickly last night. he does have that special something as we know, but he needs others to step up too.

Lambert has made a difference twice now this season. good stuff. he's not comfortable yet though. he would have buried that chance from 8 yards for Southampton.

so, lots to work on, but i was ok with the performance in general.

it's very important not to lose on Sunday to Spurs.

I'd agree with a lot of whats in here.
    I don't have faith in Mingolet. Can make some fantastic saves but in other areas he frightens me to death.

Johnson looks like he's just not bothered. Moreno was a debutant who made a bad mistake and got punished but he showed some good stuff too... has pace and seems to like having the ball. Lovren wasn't good last night but I know he'll improve the center of our defence. Not a fan of Skrtel at all... comes up with the odd goal and can be very good but he's too slow to react IMO and is a liability and the shirt pulling drives me insane.

Not enough pressing from midfield last night. Just a bad night at the office or tactical? Probably Hendo's worst game in a while. Gerrard played some lovely passes and Allen was busy but we didn't really hurt them here. Was disapointed in Can when he came on.

Sterling looked very good in opening 15 minutes and I thought he'd go on to dominate the game but he just drifted out of it after that. Sturridge is very dangerous but I don't think playing up on his own really suits him... looked far more dangerous once Lambert came on. Hopefully Balotelli coming in will create more space for Sturridge and Sterling. Unfortunately the man who needs to drop out of the team is IMO Phil... who was shocking last night. I don't mind trying a flick or something to open a defence outside the opposition box but this nonsense of trying it outside ours and handing them possession in a dangerous area needs to stop. After a decent preseason (and a strong finish last season) I was expecting big things from Phil but he's been poor in our opening two games.

But all in all, we have a lot of new players to bed in so I wouldn't panic just yet. Getting a result in the Spurs game is very important now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

But all in all, we have a lot of new players to bed in so I wouldn't panic just yet. Getting a result in the Spurs game is very important now.

Think as people get used to each other we can expect a few jittery early season performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Need to get something from the Spurs game, I don't want to have 2 defeats lingering over us going into the poxy International break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Losing faith fast in Mingolet as well.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Losing faith fast in Mingolet as well.

Never really had much faith in him anyway! Plus he has no competition for his place which makes it even worse!
    We just seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet, it's unbelievable really!

Hopefully we get it sorted in next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

kfallon wrote: »
    Never really had much faith in him anyway! Plus he has no competition for his place which makes it even worse!
    We just seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet, it's unbelievable really!

Hopefully we get it sorted in next couple of weeks.

Not overly worried yet. Kind of feels like when we played Arsenal at their place last season and that year didn't turn out too bad. Lot of football to be played yet and a lot of talent to bed in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Gerrard great with the ball, but he is hampeing us defensively when without it- It was he who let Silva ghost past him for the first goal.

Johnson- enough said.

I'd take Sakho back over Skertel- We at least need someone to be vocal back there telling guys where to go- Carra would have burst Lovern's ear drum to go cover the space leading up to the first goal.

Thought Henderson was poor last night- He was in two minds a number of times when in good positions and lost the ball or chance. It will be interesting to see how midfield pans out over the coming weeks, Allen was certainly the better of the two last night.

Mingolet- That third goal has all but dashed any faith I had in him- Sure, it could have been defended better, but what the fcuk was he at?? I'd nearly fcuk Ward in for the first round of league cup to see what he is made of.

On a positive note, it was the first time I got to see Marcovic in action and thought he looked good- A system with
    Sturridge
    Marcovic-Coutinho-Sterling

While not likely, would be a joy to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I think Coutinho needs to drop back to the midfield 3 to get the best out of him. He never seems to play well as part of the front 3, never has any influence on the game.

Vanolder wrote: »
    Gerrard great with the ball, but he is hampeing us defensively when without it- It was he who let Silva ghost past him for the first goal.

Johnson- enough said.

I'd take Sakho back over Skertel- We at least need someone to be vocal back there telling guys where to go- Carra would have burst Lovern's ear drum to go cover the space leading up to the first goal.

Thought Henderson was poor last night- He was in two minds a number of times when in good positions and lost the ball or chance. It will be interesting to see how midfield pans out over the coming weeks, Allen was certainly the better of the two last night.

Mingolet- That third goal has all but dashed any faith I had in him- Sure, it could have been defended better, but what the fcuk was he at?? I'd nearly fcuk Ward in for the first round of league cup to see what he is made of.

On a positive note, it was the first time I got to see Marcovic in action and thought he looked good- A system with
    Sturridge
    Marcovic-Coutinho-Sterling

While not likely, would be a joy to watch.

Id like to see Sakho Lovren for the next match.

Any word on Johnsons injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

One of the things that really hit home for me last night is how we really need to see Lallana in the team soon

I thought they didn't press city nearly enough when they were on ball. His energy should help remedy that somewhat. There were many moments during the game where nothing was really happening but I was roaring at the screen because our players kept standing off and giving the likes of Silva, Nasri and Toure plenty of time on the ball :mad:

x43r0 wrote: »
    One of the things that really hit home for me last night is how we really need to see Lallana in the team soon

I thought they didn't press city nearly enough when they were on ball. His energy should help remedy that somewhat. There were many moments during the game where nothing was really happening but I was roaring at the screen because our players kept standing off and giving the likes of Silva, Nasri and Toure plenty of time on the ball :mad:

Where do you see him playing?
    When he was signed I thought he'd be as part of the front 3 but not anymore. Which means it comes down to him or Coutinho to play with Henderson and Gerrard in midfield, Lallana v Coutinho will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Without wishing to jump to conclusions after one bad performance/result I think we are missing a dogged, dirty win at all costs player in the team!

For me a telling moment was at the start of the second half when sterling skipped by Fernando about 10 yards outside the box and Fernando just tripped him (should have been a yellow, not that it matters much) to stop him getting in at the back four! As good a professional foul as you will ever see, but I just don't see any of out players doing something similar!

City and Chelsea both have a few of these players, but I'm afraid we are lacking one! We need that player with agression and drive that we appear to be missing since Suarez went!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Without wishing to jump to conclusions after one bad performance/result I think we are missing a dogged, dirty win at all costs player in the team!

For me a telling moment was at the start of the second half when sterling skipped by Fernando about 10 yards outside the box and Fernando just tripped him (should have been a yellow, not that it matters much) to stop him getting in at the back four! As good a professional foul as you will ever see, but I just don't see any of out players doing something similar!

City and Chelsea both have a few of these players, but I'm afraid we are lacking one! We need that player with agression and drive that we appear to be missing since Suarez went!

Lucas does that a lot, not sure if it's intentional or his lack of pace being a problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Lucas does that a lot, not sure if it's intentional or his lack of pace being a problem though.

He's as likely to do it out wide or at half-way though, not only to stop an immediate goal threat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

My view is based on the first 60 mins as reasons beyond me i did'nt see the end of the game.
    Gerrard had a good game, coutinho done ok but would have been great to bring Lannana off the bench for him early in the second half.
    Moreno was good aside from one terrible mistake.

Surprised at how much we stood off them last night, we only seemed to press them when they came inside 30 yards, was that deliberate??
    Sturridge needs to play in a 2 up front formation, so many times he had to drop deep to get the ball and there was a massive hole up front then.

Last night just reiterated the reason we need Balo. If Sturridge is central, Sterling is the only player they really have to worry about, in terms of beating players. Coutinho and Henderson don't get at defenders like that. But Markovic does, and Lallana does, and Balo defo will. We changed it last night by putting Lambert up top and Sturridge/Marko out wider, and we gave them more problems.

But we gave away a goal with an error from a player on his debut, it happens. Up to them, we were matching them.
    You can't be chasing the game at the Etihad, they are too clinical and talented up front...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Don't know why everyone is being so hard on Mr Alan, I too will be incredibly disappointed if disappointing things happen and I mull over the possibility of disappointment constantly. Sometimes, especially after disappointing events like Liverpool losing or my toast getting slightly overcooked I like to pop onto boards and share my bleak outlook under the guise of being a realist. If called out on it I will say no, I'm not saying I think these disappointing things will definitely happen, I''d just like to discuss how we will all feel IF these disappointing events take place.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:confused:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Unfortunately the man who needs to drop out of the team is IMO Phil... who was shocking last night. I don't mind trying a flick or something to open a defence outside the opposition box but this nonsense of trying it outside ours and handing them possession in a dangerous area needs to stop.

He did that two or three times last night. We had fought hard to win the ball back down our left and phil then tries a flick 5 yards outisde our box, giving the ball away. Raging! Coutinho blows hot and cold. He's either great or he's sh*te. There's no middle ground.

Lucas just gives away stupid fouls, not tactical ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

My over-riding thoughts from last night - We need a new goalkeeper - I dont think its been mentioned yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Slattsy wrote: »
    My over-riding thoughts from last night - We need a new goalkeeper - I dont think its been mentioned yet!!

It has been said since the third goal, and a page back!

Petition on Redmen.TV to sell Glenjo :

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sell-glen-johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Milkers wrote: »
    Don't know why everyone is being so hard on Mr Alan, I too will be incredibly disappointed if disappointing things happen and I mull over the possibility of disappointment constantly. Sometimes, especially after disappointing events like Liverpool losing or my toast getting slightly overcooked I like to pop onto boards and share my bleak outlook under the guise of being a realist. If called out on it I will say no, I'm not saying I think these disappointing things will definitely happen, I''d just like to discuss how we will all feel IF these disappointing events take place.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:confused:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yeah, I live in fear of the disappointment which inevitably follows when someone overuses emoticons in a post. I feel your pain man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Vanolder wrote: »
    Gerrard great with the ball, but he is hampeing us defensively when without it- It was he who let Silva ghost past him for the first goal

I think Stevie is iffy defensively, but that was aa much Lovren's fault. he left a massive gap between himself and Moreno.

I think Stevie is iffy defensively, but that was aa much Lovren's fault. he left a massive gap between himself and Moreno.

Both not blameless for the first goal but we all know the real blame lies with Moreno, what he did was unforgivable, standing there waiting for the ball to arrive at him.

Markovic came on and for the first 5-10 minutes looked like the greatest player in the world.....and then didn't touch the ball again after that initial period :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Overall I think Lovren and Moreno are good additions made some mistakes but are a hell of a lot more commanding than Skrtel or Johnson.

Hopefully Moreno isnt badly injured. Manquillo will replace Johnson anyway. How long more are Flanno/Enrique out for.

Emre Can was awful for me last night. Stupid dive, lost possession easily and failed to make any impact on the game. Markovic made some encouraging runs but then faded out once we went to 10, again dont think he's a Sterling mk II.

Hopefully Lallana and Balotelli add to the side when they join. I think Sturridge needs to play with a strike partner anyway be that Lambert or Balotelli.

For me, its a centre mid that dominates is what is required. For all the good that Allen/Henderson do, they dont dominate and cannot create anything going forward wither

Ugh, I cant watch SSN today.

Im trying really hard to be upbeat today.

Lovern left a gap but he then covered it and won the header against Silva, which Moreno failed to clear. Gerrard got wrong side of silva and once again just let him run off him. How many times has that happened ?!! Lovern in my view was the least at fault for the goal.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ugh, I cant watch SSN today.

Im trying really hard to be upbeat today.

Should have announced Balo today instead. Or bang on full time.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Should have announced Balo today instead. Or bang on full time.

That may have helped the sour taste in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Gerrard is brilliant in possession when teams stand off and let us play, his distribution is unbelievable on occasions like that.

However, good teams who tend to keep possession more often than not and make us work without having the ball ourselves will cause us problems unless we press really high.

Gerrard as much as I love him as a player, is redundant when we don't have possession. One ball in behind and he is out of the game. His tactical awareness when not in possession has always been his weakest trait, and its an absolutely vital trait that someone in his position needs when the level has been stepped up considerably (i.e against teams of City's ilk and also in the champions league).

We need top quality competition in this position asap but we won't get it this year, it will be next season i'd imagine. Let me specify, Gerrard provides amazing input in terms of his distribution against the less than stellar opposition (which is no mean feat either), but against really top class calibre opposition he does start to become a reliability when opponents enforce their own game upon us and his defensive responsibilities come under scrutiny.

It was actually great to see Carra call him on it last night in his analysis for not tracking the runner. I've actually never seen a Gerrard performance called into question on UK tv at all, his rating is usually based on his reputation rather than on his actual performance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Glenjo should have been put out of his misery when he got injured last night, he was shocking bad, maybe him on the left and manquillo on the right might have been the option to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

To be fair to Mignolet, the first goal was at point blank range after he'd expected the ball to be cleared.
    The second he probably would have saved if Glenjo didn't get in the way.
    The third was a class finish but probably should have got a hand to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

On Balotelli;

Nice to see Rodgers taking the heat out of what was a very direct question, "What will Balotelli bring to LFC?", Answer: "Trouble!"

In a humorous way he took the pressure off Balotelli and the expectations of him, while softening the line of questioning that was imminent i.e. wont Balotelli create issues in the dressing room.

Its important to note that Rodgers has "created" the atmosphere in the dressing room and the club, this is something managers dream of, getting the players to have the same outlook as each other, be on the same wave length as each other and to gain a real understanding of each others play. Do you honestly think he would risk all that by bringing in a player who would disrupt it? I dont, i dont think hes that naive.

He has also laid down the gauntlet for Balotelli, saying that his life has changed recently by having a child, he has responsibilities that he used not. Change is needed in his personal life as it is needed in his professional life. Its time to be a man. This is the type of "pressure", which people have no choice but respond to, when you link positive change to something as important as your child, people rarely do the "wrong thing".

Im sure Rodgers has had the same chat with Sterling. Look how that turned out. He is using their backgrounds, their upbringing to push them forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I thought overall the performance was fine. The intent was correct, city had a lot of defending to do, at home. You have to remember this is the toughest game of the season.

So 1 mistake & 2 good goals went in. Meh. 3rd goal was possibly due to start of season runstiness.

As for going forward I thought there were plenty of chances. Lambert wrong footed to shoot, come on...
    Balotelli will fill a gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

spockety wrote: »
    I calmed down a lot after I started thinking about supporting Liverpool as a long haul pursuit. I mean real long haul as in the next 40 years or more. Some of you should try it. It's very Zen.

Yip, currently in my 38th year of Zen-ness! Allowing for all that though, I still thought the pressure leading up to the Chelsea game last season was bloody horrific...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Plenty of pros and cons from the game.

We were against the best team in the country and at their place. A loss is never something to be simply expected and accepted, but sometimes it is the most likely outcome.

Those big gaps that Southampton got joy from last week were exposed by a much better team last night.

Johnson offers nothing at all to the team at this point. Nothing in defence and nothing going forward. Bench him and let in a young player who will at least try.

Gerrard is not a DM, and does not have the legs for when we are the team on the back foot. He still has the ability to stand out when we have the ball, but a player in the deeper role needs to be able to have an impact when his team is under pressure.

What is noticeable is that we are starting like last season in that we are good in the first half and poor in the second half. It took us about 10 games last season to get to the point where we got a balance to our 90 minutes of play.

But too early to write us off in any way or form. We will improve as the season progresses, and we will be in the mix for a top 4 slot this season. That I am confident of.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Plenty of pros and cons from the game.

We were against the best team in the country and at their place. A loss is never something to be simply expected and accepted, but sometimes it is the most likely outcome.

Those big gaps that Southampton got joy from last week were exposed by a much better team last night.

Johnson offers nothing at all to the team at this point. Nothing in defence and nothing going forward. Bench him and let in a young player who will at least try.

Gerrard is not a DM, and does not have the legs for when we are the team on the back foot. He still has the ability to stand out when we have the ball, but a player in the deeper role needs to be able to have an impact when his team is under pressure.

What is noticeable is that we are starting like last season in that we are good in the first half and poor in the second half. It took us about 10 games last season to get to the point where we got a balance to our 90 minutes of play.

But too early to write us off in any way or form. We will improve as the season progresses, and we will be in the mix for a top 4 slot this season. That I am confident of.

I have never really gotten involved in the Glenjo bashing on here but last night....jesus....I was flabergasted at how little it looked like he cared. I dont wish an injury on any player but at least this injury will guarantee a run in the team for Manquillo or Flanno when he's back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What did people think about Markovic (those who were watching a decent picture/reliable picture?).

What did people think about Markovic (those who were watching a decent picture/reliable picture?).

Had some great touches just after coming on, his first attack should probably have resulted in a goal for Sturridge if the simple ball was played across the goal it was a tap in but he tried to pull it back to the penalty spot instead and the chance was gone.

Also, I knew he was fast but he outpaced Navas at one stage which is no mean feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Thought he looked lively, certainly has plenty of pace.

Think he will in time provide the sort of direct threat that we do not have a lot of in the team. Players like Sterling and Sturridge are quick, but have a feeling that Markovic will be the sort of player that will simply go at defenders and who will be perfect for games against teams who put us under pressure and as such leave space in their own half for Markovic to run into.

Kess73 wrote: »

But with the stronger bench/squad (Balo, Lambert, Lallana, Marko, Can), we should be better off if we start well and spring these guys to pick up the momentum in the second half. Better that than the reverse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I said last night and I still believe it today Brendan Rodgers is just as much to blame with regards to Johnson.

It has been plain to see for the best part of a year now that Johnson isn't up to playing at level needed for a team competeing for top 4 and CL.

But Rodgers keeps persisting with him to the detriment of the team, I am now think he will do the same with Gerrard as well.

A defence with Johnson in it and Gerrard covering is not and will not be good enough.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    But with the stronger bench/squad (Balo, Lambert, Lannala, Marko, Can), we should be better off if we start well and spring these guys to pick up the momentum in the second half. Better that than the reverse...

Good point. The bench last year was poor and was almost always a downgrade on what was coming off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement