Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I though Allen was very good last night. Worked his socks off and kept the ball ticking over nicely. New signings could help him bring him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Don't really have much to add on the match.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is us when we have a full squad.

Lallana, Markovic and Balotelli are all players who will be looking to start. I liked what I saw in Markovic last night.

I can easily see both Lallana and Markovic coming in for Allen and Coutinho.

But I also think we're a much more threatening team with two strikers playing. We saw that in both games when Lambert came on.

If Balotelli is match fit for the Spurs match, I'll be interested to see if he starts and what shape our team is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Yeah, it's definitely Johnson's fault you can't pay your rent.

It is if your backing liverpool to win and that tit is contributing to you losing that bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As disappointing as last night was, we should keep some prospective. We just played the Chanpions away from home, having lost our best player, and without any of his replacements. It will take this team some time to gel considering the number of new signings coming in.

This game came a bit too early in the season for us. Particularly for the defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Champions League draw Thursday. Which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tusky wrote: »
    As disappointing as last night was, we should keep some prospective. We just played the Chanpions away from home, having lost out best player, and without any of his replacements. It will take this team some time to gel considering the extent of new signings coming in.

Essentially this, as tough as it is to watch we are again a team in transition.

Thankfully never as bad as we were 09/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Still 3 points up on the corresponding fixtures last season :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

What did people think about Markovic (those who were watching a decent picture/reliable picture?).

Was the antenna acting up again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Abit annoying we have Spurs up next, feels like we could do with a few easier games to gel the team more and get the newer lads involved more.
    Oh well, might be a tough few weeks until things settle down abit.

I'd still be confident of a good season though. Gerrard has had a tough few months but really needs to up his game again. Will be interesting to see how we'd function in a cup game with Allen or Can in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

What did people think about Markovic (those who were watching a decent picture/reliable picture?).

Looked good just after he came on, seemed a cut above Sterling at the time, though the fresh legs will have helped. After that initial few minutes he didn't see much of the ball from what I recall.

Just realised we're away to Spurs this weekend. Thought we were at home. A tough draw Thursday and anything less than a very good performance and at least a point on Sunday and it will be all doom and gloom again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Most teams will lose at City. Not one team in England will go to that ground as favourite to win. Even a point off of them there is a good result.

Does not make the loss any "better" nor does it hide the current weaknesses in our team, weaknesses that will be put to the test any time we meet a top level team, but we showed a number of positives as well last night and against lesser teams than City we are going to pick up points.

Next weekend brings with it another tough game as Spurs this season will be a very different animal to what they were last season. I expect better organisation, more use of players like Lamela, and fully expect to see them turn into a team that applies a lot of pressure off of the ball.

May not feel like all that much of a good thing straight after a loss, but have seen too many good to great seasons unfold after a mixed start to even consider judging this season on the back of one early loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The irony of having such a bigger squad is that we don't have an actual team as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Let's be honest, we're in the race for 3rd. Nothing I have seen so far suggests we can't achieve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool need to keep Coutinho off the wings, he is half the player starting on the flank offering only nominal width. Diamond suits him or on the bench.

2iazh4y.jpg

m8e2y1.jpg

Oh and this from Telegraph

Bv9I6siCAAA3lVJ.png

Enrique may get a reprieve if Moreno is crocked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Kess73 wrote: »
    Most teams will lose at City. Not one team in England will go to that ground as favourite to win. Even a point off of them there is a good result.

City took 52/57 points at home last season.

We need to do the same at Anfield as we did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Rodgers pre match interview about Balotelli

Rodgers post match interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Kess73 wrote: »
    What is noticeable is that we are starting like last season in that we are good in the first half and poor in the second half. It took us about 10 games last season to get to the point where we got a balance to our 90 minutes of play.

Just going on the two games, it doesn't seem to be the random 2nd half drop like last season, but direct reactions to conceding, which is worrying for me as it's a harkening back to the worst aspects of our 2012/13 season.

The heads dropped last night like they did against Soton, the difference being we were never going to get away with it last night.

I can accept the team needs time to gel, but I won't accept this team not being able to maintain composure and belief in their play when things go against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Jesus Alan you use to be a great poster but by god you have got so twisted and bitter lately
    Liverpool football club are in a better place now than they have ever been in the last 20 years
    Club is in great hands taking in more money than ever plans in place for a new stadium, no massive debt hanging over the club and on the field out squad is very good not exceptional but improving all the time and we are back competing for league titles
    Now I realise there still is some problems but going by your posts you'd think were heading for the championship
    There's a vast contrast between "just wanting the best for the club"
    And critiquing every iffy performance and our manager every chance you get
    I do wonder if rafa was at the helm would the criticism be as strong??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Is Enrique up for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Augmerson wrote: »
    Is Enrique up for sale?

How much will you take him for ?

• Advertisement

Just going on the two games, it doesn't seem to be the random 2nd half drop like last season, but direct reactions to conceding, which is worrying for me as it's a harkening back to the worst aspects of our 2012/13 season.

The heads dropped last night like they did against Soton, the difference being we were never going to get away with it last night.

I can accept the team needs time to gel, but I won't accept this team not being able to maintain composure and belief in their play when things go against them.

If it were to become commonplace over the course of the season, then I would agree with you 100%. But a lack of composure/inability to impose play is something that will happen from time to time. As long as it becomes the exception rather than the rule, I am fine with that as I have yet to see a Liverpool team, even our great teams, that did not suffer a drop in belief/composure tec at some point during a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Is Enrique up for sale?

No he is injured.

Podolski anyone?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    No he is injured.

Podolski anyone?

Absolutely not. Flatters to deceive far too often. Where would he fit in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

mosstin wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Flatters to deceive far too often. Where would he fit in?

On the bench as back up to the strikers.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    On the bench as back up to the strikers.

Nah. Other areas need strengthening more urgently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Bayern only paying €26m for Benatia apparently, rising to €30m with add-ons.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Bayern only paying €26m for Benatia apparently, rising to €30m with add-ons.

Very good signing. Am actually surprised that it has taken as long as it has for him to end up at a top club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Is Enrique up for sale?

I dont know why, he has been injured for the last season, but before that was doing fairly well at LB. I'd argue he would nearly be our first choice LB if he was fit and on form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

On Allen's performance last night, he should be the first name on the team sheet for Spurs.
    Thought he was excellent, put himself about lots and seemed to only one with any real drive in midfield. Hendo was annominous.

I'd love to see Allen if he was given Gerrards role (not that i'd drop Gerrard) i reckon it will suit him to be the holding mid as he's much better defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I know we have signed alot of players. But I would make an offer for Sneiderlein. Offer 15m plus Enrique or Agger for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MD1990 wrote: »
    I know we have signed alot of players. But I would make an offer for Sneiderlein. Offer 15m plus Enrique or Agger for him.

Add Clyne in there and send Johnson down there as well.

I think we are good for RBs! Just need Flanno to get fit and him & Manquillo can share the load...

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think we are good for RBs! Just need Flanno to get fit and him & Manquillo can share the load...

Flanagan is good cover for both LB & RB. Manquillo really doesn't have the experience.

We need an experienced right back bigtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh that's it, make Soton feel better! They wouldn't sell LFC a virus after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Jesus Alan you use to be a great poster but by god you have got so twisted and bitter lately
    Liverpool football club are in a better place now than they have ever been in the last 20 years
    Club is in great hands taking in more money than ever plans in place for a new stadium, no massive debt hanging over the club and on the field out squad is very good not exceptional but improving all the time and we are back competing for league titles
    Now I realise there still is some problems but going by your posts you'd think were heading for the championship
    There's a vast contrast between "just wanting the best for the club"
    And critiquing every iffy performance and our manager every chance you get
    I do wonder if rafa was at the helm would the criticism be as strong??

The problem I find is he likes to wear his 'realism' like a badge of honour far too much. Practically before a ball has been kicked in anger he's setting out his stall of 'realistic' views on how the season will pan out so he can point score later. You only have to look at his questioning of how long certain excuses would be valid(2 games into the season) for evidence of this, probably wanted to mark it on his calender. I know he feels embattled as the threads self appointed paragon(some would say parody at times) of common sense but he doesn't really help himself at times and tends to just dig in rather then giving peace(our players/manager) a chance.

• Advertisement

Oh that's it, make Soton feel better! They wouldn't sell LFC a virus after that.

Well just go for Clyne then and leave Sneiderlein there and go back to Leverkusen and try for another one of there midfielders Lars Bender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

MD1990 wrote: »

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/epl/news/article/-/15530603/southampton-midfielder-morgan-schneiderlin-admits-being-huge-liverpool-fan/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Slattsy wrote: »
    On Allen's performance last night, he should be the first name on the team sheet for Spurs.
    Thought he was excellent, put himself about lots and seemed to only one with any real drive in midfield. Hendo was annominous.

I'd love to see Allen if he was given Gerrards role (not that i'd drop Gerrard) i reckon it will suit him to be the holding mid as he's much better defensively.

On that note, and not Gerrard bashing, I would like to see Allen, Can and Henderson in the 3. Think all of them can fairly seemlessly rotate into any point in the *ahem* trivote *ahem*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anything to be said for making a bid for Piszczek? Might be on the expensive side but RB's don't get any better than this lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Manquillo? I thought he looked very good in the game against Southampton. I was surprised to see him dropped last night for Johnson. Liverpool don't need a new right back, however they need to offload one right back.

It's probably been discussed here, but Liverpool could do with a better keeper than Mignolet and an improvement on Gerrard as well, but I don't see Rodgers dropping Gerrard for more than a game, so bringing in a big name to replace him is out of the question I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It was actually great to see Carra call him on it last night in his analysis for not tracking the runner. I've actually never seen a Gerrard performance called into question on UK tv at all, his rating is usually based on his reputation rather than on his actual performance.
    He no longer carries the shield of being the captain of the national side so the English media are free to criticise him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Ah lads sometimes they were chasing shadows ... i've not seen Hendo in particular been so far off the pace in a while, usually a beast in closing down but he was ran ragged at times. Allen seemed to have a better game than the other mids as far as closing down, we just seemed lopsided somewhat with Coutinho going invisible at times. The balance just didn't seem right to me.

Yup Hendo had a bad game, watched Countinho just stop and not chase back a few times last night... not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Without wishing to jump to conclusions after one bad performance/result I think we are missing a dogged, dirty win at all costs player in the team!

For me a telling moment was at the start of the second half when sterling skipped by Fernando about 10 yards outside the box and Fernando just tripped him (should have been a yellow, not that it matters much) to stop him getting in at the back four! As good a professional foul as you will ever see, but I just don't see any of out players doing something similar!

City and Chelsea both have a few of these players, but I'm afraid we are lacking one! We need that player with agression and drive that we appear to be missing since Suarez went!

Fernando did that all game and got away with it... ref was very lenient

Kharrell wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Manquillo? I thought he looked very good in the game against Southampton. I was surprised to see him dropped last night for Johnson. Liverpool don't need a new right back, however they need to offload one right back.

Nothing wrong with him I just don't think he is experienced enough at the moment to command a regalur starting place he has only played less than 10 games for Atletico Madrid's first team and he has played 1 game for us.

I would just like to have some one experienced other than Johnson as the regalur first team starter and then you can break a player like Manquillo into the team in cup games and coming off the bench.

Manquillo v Nasri or Silva last night would have been a harsh lesson, could have set him back in terms of confidence. In the absence of Flanagan, Johnson was the best option. But from Spurs onwards, it has to be M&M at FB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Last nights match was a harsh lesson for us. If you make a mistake against the top teams u get punished , you make 2 and there is no way back.
    I'm not overly worried as its only 2 games gone. Lets see where we are after 6 games.
    I think we will be ok once the team gets settled, but I'm not happy with Mignolet and don't think he is the top tier keeper we need.
    I would love cech but not a hope of getting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I find it astounding the love the new lads are getting around here, with having only seeing them play less than a handful of times.
    Best thing BR could do would be to ease the new guys into the team, see how they are performing before starting them on a regular basis. Most of the new guys we bought are young, so I would defo use that tactic with them. Lallana and Lambert I wouldnt be so worried about starting them as they are bit older and know what Liverpool and the premier league is all about.

The problem I find is he likes to wear his 'realism' like a badge of honour far too much. Practically before a ball has been kicked in anger he's setting out his stall of 'realistic' views on how the season will pan out so he can point score later. You only have to look at his questioning of how long certain excuses would be valid(2 games into the season) for evidence of this, probably wanted to mark it on his calender. I know he feels embattled as the threads self appointed paragon(some would say parody at times) of common sense but he doesn't really help himself at times and tends to just dig in rather then giving peace(our players/manager) a chance.

Mod Post: A heads up for thread users. Posts like the one above come a bit too close to being an attack on a poster rather than an attack on a post.

There is never an issue with some spirited debate and robust differences of opinion, but critique of a poster based on that poster's opinion is not on and will not be deemed acceptable.

Disagree with an opinion. Give reasons as to why you disagree, and then debate it until the cows come home if that floats a proverbial boat. But using a poster's opinion as a means to single out that poster is no no.

Now the flip side is that a poster who posts a pov that goes against the grain somewhat is expected to be able to debate his or her opinion, and not simply throw out a contrary take on something without being prepared to discuss, in reasonable manner, why that opinion was formed.

Pretty easy to follow the above methinks, and as such should be pretty easy to avoid any need for further mod involvement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Nothing wrong with him I just don't think he is experienced enough at the mommet to command a regalur starting place he has only played less than 10 games for Atletico Madrid's first team and he has played 1 game for us.

I would just like to have some one experienced other than Johnson as the regalur first team starter and then you can break a player like Manquillo into the team in cup games and coming off the bench.

But that's the ideal scenario. Johnson is a detriment to the team now. I genuinely don't think I am over simplifying things, but I do think anyone who is a right back by trade in Liverpool's squad is a better option than Johnson at this stage. I know Liverpool have loaned and sold Wisdom and Kelly respectively, but them two, Flanagan and Manquillo should all be ahead of him. Experience is all well and good if you can back it up, and Johnson offers nothing at either end of the pitch, for club or country.

While limited first team experience, Manquillo was signed a month ago if I recall correctly, and he has been training with the first team ever since and again, he looked good vs Southampton. Would have stuck with him myself.

Once they are all fit, any chance we will see Hendo, Allen and Lallana as our midfield 3 on the odd occasion?

Keep Stevie for CL games where he has time to make his impact, and experience that few of our players have.
    Not sure yet how much Can will start, or Lucas' future, so I see HAL as a good trio - energetic, creative, and 3 smart players...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement