Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Highlight of last nights match was when Richards was powering down the wing and Emre Can just laid him on his arse, beast!
    Yeah, was awesome!

http://tinyurl.com/n37fhva

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

kfallon wrote: »
    WTF does Jones have under his shirt??? :confused:

Hair gel dispenser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Yeah, was awesome!

Just when I thought I couldn't be got anymore!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sturridge definitely looks rusty, but let's remember he barely kicked a ball last pre season and still came out firing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

x43r0 wrote: »
    Just when I thought I couldn't be got anymore!

giphy.gif
    Lot of cocky people around here especially after a win last night, clicking on links with abandon.
    Someone needs to keep this place in its toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

God damn you DDC... I was waiting to use that on Mickalas.

Back to the drawing board again.. :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Interesting piece on the ESPN site about the Red Sox trying to off load one of their star pitchers and home town boy because they don't fancy paying a 30 year old high wages. I know the baseball trading system is very different to football's but gives some insight into the mindset of Henry and his team. They seem pretty cut throat but hard to argue with their record over the last 10 years.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11289423/jon-lester-awkward-adventure-continues-boston-red-sox-contemplate-trade

Also why pay that money when you won't be making the playoffs? The door will be open for him to return over the offseason but if you can get a decent arm or outfielder now I don't see why they wouldn't do it. Lester has been great over the years but the team is dreadful this season and he looks overpaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Yeah, was awesome!

mad.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Rte reporting that utds kit deal drops 30% in value if they don't make CL this year. Thats a lot of pressure on them on top of everything else........

If they don't get in this year things may get very difficult for them between getting better players and having funds for the very top names. I'm not saying they won't still have massive resources or appeal but you can see how quickly that death spiral can pick up pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Talking about kids .... Check
    Talking poorly of Gerrard .....Check

I look forward to your loan watch next season ;)

Yep...all we need know is a French soccer nerd/hipster to keep an eye on Origi next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

tritium wrote: »
    Rte reporting that utds kit deal drops 30% in value if they don't make CL this year. Thats a lot of pressure on them on top of everything else........

If they don't get in this year things may get very difficult for them between getting better players and having funds for the very top names. I'm not saying they won't still have massive resources or appeal but you can see how quickly that death spiral can pick up pace.
    £71M just to finance their debt, never mind the astronomical wages that a top level football club has to shell out. Other than Arsenal (believe their payments are 1/3 of United's) - none of the other top clubs have to worry about revenue being diverted to debt repayment.

This year is make or break for United, the Board know this and that is why they're selling shares. The club simply cannot afford to miss out on the CL again. That cash will be used to finance the glut in spending this Summer and they're bringing in the best manager they can get. If all that spending doesn't materialize into CL football, then with their increased wage bill, you can definitely see United in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

kfallon wrote: »
    WTF does Jones have under his shirt??? :confused:
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Hair gel dispenser.

Certainly heading to having the best coiffured side in the Barclays Premier League next season.

emre-can-ilk-macinda-sakatlandi.jpg481533517-jordan-henderson-of-liverpool-celebrates-scoring-the.jpgHkg8813284.512.jpg487113851-philippe-coutinho-of-liverpool-in-action-during-the.jpg57407_headline.jpg

They have come along way

lucas%252Bleiva.jpgP1010539.JPGabelxavier_50ec3b8d41133714439769.jpg

I'll stop there to protect various legacies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Dirk is an odd one, because he seemed to take some sort of care with his hair, but it still looked dog**** on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Saw some brief highlights from last night, the goal Sterling got and also the offside goal.....world class!

Anyone know what odds he is to be top scorer in Prem League this season. I know he shouldn't be but he has turned into an absolute beast of a player! His confidence is sky high. Might take a look and see what odds he is to win POTY also tho more than likely he will win the YPOTY!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

From the mail so obviously you have to take that into account but interesting that they say Sevilla dont want to sell Moreno until after August 10th when they play Real in the SuperCup
    Liverpool have re-set their sights on Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno after missing out on Ryan Bertrand.
    The Spain international is valued at £20m by his club who want to hold on to him until after the UEFA Super Cup with Real Madrid on August 12.
    Liverpool have so far baulked at the asking price for Moreno who, although well regarded, is considered to be worth closer to £14m.
    Renewed interest: Liverpool are again keen on signing Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno
    +4
    Renewed interest: Liverpool are again keen on signing Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno
    Highly regarded:Moreno, pictured here trying to block a cross from Freiburg's Sebastian Freis last season, is valued at £20m by Sevilla

Highly regarded:Moreno, pictured here trying to block a cross from Freiburg's Sebastian Freis last season, is valued at £20m by Sevilla
    Liverpool had intended to pursue Ryan Bertrand from Chelsea but the Stamford Bridge club are reluctant to do favours for any potential title rivals while Bertrand could be guaranteed regular football at Southampton also.
    Sevilla have a decent relationship with Liverpool having loaned Iago Aspas earlier this month and sold Luis Alberto for £7m to the Anfield club last summer.
    Aspas, who was officially unveiled yesterday, did little to encourage Moreno to leave.
    He told ABC Sevilla: 'I have not yet spoken with Alberto about Liverpool.
    Bidding war: Liverpool are only willing to pay about £14m for Moreno (left) - about £6m less than the asking price

Bidding war: Liverpool are only willing to pay about £14m for Moreno (left) - about £6m less than the asking price

'Yes, it is true that his teammates have had some banter with him on the topic. But if it's a question about quality of life, I would say that Sevilla is better than being there, that's for sure. And I have only been at Sevilla three or four days but now I belong to Sevilla, I would prefer him to stay here.'
    Aspas confirmed that he is delighted to have made the move, which can be made permanent at the end of the season, given his lack of playing time last term.
    He added: 'After last season when I did not enjoy the minutes I wanted, came the possibility of coming to Sevilla. Immediately I had a lot of enthusiasm about coming here and I hope that everything goes well, not only this year but also in terms of a long-term contract. I can not deny I'm happy.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

With Southampton getting Bertrand on loan does that mean we will offer them £20m for him :pac:

Speaking of Liverpool and bad hair days....but still, he could get away with anything *loveblush*

robbie-fowler-765758681.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

andriy_voronin_1556340c.jpg

sotrios-kyrgiakos.jpg

Andy-Carroll-007.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Unrelated to Liverpool but........All of the above has nothing on the classic Javier Margas.

javier-margas.jpg

• Advertisement

21937b865f2f59efeff47d861d71d48c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

nowt wrong with that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

This year is make or break for United, the Board know this and that is why they're selling shares ...

That cash will be used to finance the glut in spending

The money is coming straight out of the club and into the Glazers' back pocket.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/31/glazers-share-offer-manchester-united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

77-78tommop.jpg

Close thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

raheem.jpg

Edit: Beaten to the Thommo pic by Murph.

We've been due some good hair in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cruel barstewards the lot of ya.

*Runs off to hide photos from the 1980's and 1990's*

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

raheem.jpg

The classic Half Sideburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

raheem.jpg

41qydu5512L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Kess73 wrote: »
    Cruel barstewards the lot of ya.

*Runs off to hide photos from the 1980's and 1990's*

:D

Ah go on Kess stick one up for the laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Pelligrino and Paddy Berger both had a fine head of hair.

Any chance of a signing?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any chance of a signing?!

Austin Powers & James Bond :D

gxR7lnF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

The lads look to be having a good time on the tour.

Bt4mZeCIQAEkGvx.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

raheem.jpg

Always reminds me of Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds for some reason...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I thought of this immediately

red_dwarf_cat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Austin Powers & James Bond :D

gxR7lnF.jpg

Jimmy Bond has seen better days, we'll be looking for a new one soon I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Last 15 mins of the game v Man City when Liverpool really cracked it up a notch.
    Worth a look

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k2Pnw2C0tjRYVR8tasE?start=13

I feel a bit bad right now and yet quite good as I've just realised I won't have to sit on my hands when Suarez scores a goal for Liverpool next season.

Cos he's left......:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

And for me its the Cat..

red_dwarf_cat.jpg

Ah go on Kess stick one up for the laugh

What happened to my barnet in the late 1980's stays in the late 1980's :D

Let's just say that having very long hair and getting a bit of a perm done was not a good look. :pac:

Was like a teenage version of what Marty Friedman looked like in 1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

I feel a bit bad right now and yet quite good as I've just realised I won't have to sit on my hands when Suarez scores a goal for Liverpool next season.

[...]

Cos he's left......:o

OK I'll bite (pun intended :D), 2 questions....

1. Why were you sitting on your hands before?
    and 2. How can you be so sure he'll score for Liverpool? You, him and Michel got some side bets about fixing the Champs league draw and O.G.'s or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Let's just say that having very long hair and getting a bit of a perm done was not a good look. :pac:

Fairly handy on the guitar, Kess? Poor aul Marty and his J pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ah we all have haircuts we regret ! I had a Torres inspired mullet so your not the only one who has had a rubbish haircut !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

skywalker wrote: »
    The lads look to be having a good time on the tour.

Bt4mZeCIQAEkGvx.jpg:large

Hendo well posed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

£71M just to finance their debt, never mind the astronomical wages that a top level football club has to shell out. Other than Arsenal (believe their payments are 1/3 of United's) - none of the other top clubs have to worry about revenue being diverted to debt repayment.

This year is make or break for United, the Board know this and that is why they're selling shares. The club simply cannot afford to miss out on the CL again. That cash will be used to finance the glut in spending this Summer and they're bringing in the best manager they can get. If all that spending doesn't materialize into CL football, then with their increased wage bill, you can definitely see United in trouble.

Too much misinformation in this post to let it slide.
    • Utd annual interest repayments ~£20M.
    • 12/13 FY, Utd spent £71M on interest and bond buybacks. Not an annual occurrence.
    • The Glazers are selling 5% of their shares. They still will have over 80% ownership. The Glazers will pocket the money and most likely split it equally between each other.
    • Utd's wage to turnover ratio has traditionally been very healthy compared to other clubs. I don't know the current ratio off the top of my head but with the growth in revenue being so strong, Utd can easily offer the big wages necessary for top talent.
    • Even if Utd took a 30% hit on the kit deal, they're still receiving more money per year than the previous kit deal. Not a bad problem to have tbh.

No doubt CL football is a priority this season because it will help maximise revenue streams but Utd operating below par on the pitch does not change the fact they generate massive amounts of money off it (relative to other football clubs) and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

TheTownie wrote: »
    Utd's wage to turnover ratio has traditionally been very healthy compared to other clubs. I don't know the current ratio off the top of my head but with the growth in revenue being so strong, Utd can easily offer the big wages necessary for top talent.

Just to add on your point.

In 2013 Uniteds wage to turnover ratio was 50%.

Arsenal at 54%, West Ham at 62% and Liverpool 64% made up the best ratios. Not current but a good indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NukaCola wrote: »
    Just to add on your point.

In 2013 Uniteds wage to turnover ratio was 50%.

Arsenal at 54%, West Ham at 62% and Liverpool 64% made up the best ratios. Not current but a good indication.

Ours was up near 90% at the end of H & G IIRC, big improvement in that by Henry et al.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If you look at our wage turn over now that player who left won't be getting 200K a week.

That is being used to pay maybe 4 players wages, ok it still 200k a week outlay but from a financial point of view(maybe not a football one) it's would be seen as a better use of the money.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Fairly handy on the guitar, Kess? Poor aul Marty and his J pop.

Only ever played Bass. Guys like Frankie Bello, and Joey Vera were/are my bass inspirations on the rock/metal front, and got really into guys like Charles Mingus, Fred Baker, Jaco Pastorius, Art Davis and so on as the years went by and my own tastes grew.

Some of Marty's recent releases have been pretty good though. You should check out Inferno from a few months back if you liked him on Rust In Peace.

Also if you want to check out some really good gutar work that goes between rock-blues and blues- rock, maybe check out some Philip Sayce or some Lincoln Durham. The former puts the likes of Joe Bonamassa to shame in terms of technical ability imho, and the latter makes some of the finest rootsy sounding noise you could ever wish to hear.

So in an attempt to drag my own post back into soccer related things........ who does everyone want to see us sign next? :D

• Advertisement

who does everyone want to see us sign next? :D

Messi or Ronaldo will do me :pac:

Jackson Martinez and Clyne would be my choices.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement