Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was laughing at the ridiculousness of the rumour rather than the quality of the player

Your last line would make it appear to be not so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Was laughing at the ridiculousness of the rumour rather than the quality of the player

Well it certainly is a night for uncontrollable laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

aramush wrote: »
    Thought Joe Allen was one of our better players on Monday, don't understand why he gets so much slack sometimes.

He was good towards the end of last season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

aramush wrote: »
    Thought Joe Allen was one of our better players on Monday, don't understand why he gets so much slack sometimes.

I think you were going for stick....or flack...and got caught in the middle? Slack means the exact opposite.

Some slack from fans is something that Allen would probably enjoy. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Seems fair enough. I don't think Joe was ready for the step up to a top 4 club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Seems fair enough. I don't think Joe was ready for the step up to a top 4 club.

Ooh meow :P

I've no idea why Allen would go to UTD anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Top job last night lads, yas had me laughing like a weirdo to myself on the train to work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

5live wrote: »
    What happened now?

Rotherham

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ooh meow :P

I've no idea why Allen would go to UTD anyway

Guaranteed first team football, We have a feeding club in Southampton so now we need a toilet club to dump into.

Guaranteed first team football, We have a feeding club in Southampton so now we need a toilet club to dump into.

Just slap a 50M price tag on Lucas. That should get their attention.

Pity we don't still have Voronin we could have sold him to Utd, he looks a LVG sort of player, runs around not quite sure what to do.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

If only!! alot of talk this morning united are now pushing ahead to land Vidal. Whatever about Di Maria, Vidal would be an be an amazing transfer for them. really hope it doesnt happen. The fact the LVG named dropped hios name afew times in interview recently simialar to what he did with Di Maria, i get the feeling theyll get him.

viper006 wrote: »
    If only!! alot of talk this morning united are now pushing ahead to land Vidal. Whatever about Di Maria, Vidal would be an be an amazing transfer for them. really hope it doesnt happen. The fact the LVG named dropped hios name afew times in interview recently simialar to what he did with Di Maria, i get the feeling theyll get him.

Wont mean anything unless they sign a couple of experienced and good centre defenders. Doesn't matter who they sign this year, fact is they have a bruised ego much like us in 2009 that will take a few years to heal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Wont mean anything unless they sign a couple of experienced and good centre defenders. Doesn't matter who they sign this year, fact is they have a bruised ego much like us in 2009 that will take a few years to heal.

And there is the fear factor. Teams won't worry about United coming to their patch in the way that they used to, teams will get at them, and any fragile confidence will be prayed on.

In the same way that we were viewed for a long time. But not so much anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I agree that top defenders are required but definitely wouldnt say the signings of Di Maria and Vidal mean nothing regardless of who else they sign. Those two are world class players and possibly the best around in their positions, they address serious problem areas for united and are huge signings in relation to their rebuilding process. I really hope they dont get vidal in the last days of the window.

However, it makes me cringe watching united fans defend united ridiculous spending after years of belittling Chelsea and citys success are being “bought” when they are doing the same thing on an even more extreme level.

If united cant challenge for top 4 after the insane level of spending in the last 12 months , it would be fantastic but the sigings of di maria and vidal can only strengthen their cause . Players I would absolutely love at liverpool and loathe seeing going to united.

Fingers crossed the problems at united are so deep rooted they will still struggle but given the commerical clout united have i feel they are better equipped finanically to get out of the trouble than we were when we went through our transitional phase in the last 5 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Here was i looking for some Liverpool updates in the Liverpool thread, silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Here was i looking for some Liverpool updates in the Liverpool thread, silly me.

A bit off thread but here you go....

"He's been into pre-season and he's played three 45-minute games. He might not be up to full match speed, but he's looking fit.

"We've done some analysis on him. The medical and sports science team have worked with him already and he's in very, very good condition.

"He's in to work and he'll be available for the squad for the weekend."

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169601-rodgers-balotelli-could-face-tottenham

You come to the wrong place.

This is the pseudo Man Utd thread for closet fans!

gafferino wrote: »
    A bit off thread but here you go....

"He's been into pre-season and he's played three 45-minute games. He might not be up to full match speed, but he's looking fit.

"We've done some analysis on him. The medical and sports science team have worked with him already and he's in very, very good condition.

"He's in to work and he'll be available for the squad for the weekend."

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169601-rodgers-balotelli-could-face-tottenham

Id love to see him play Sunday, but alongside Sturridge.

Last thing we need is a stroppy attack.

• Advertisement

Everton signing Etoo for 2 years increases there threat IMO.
    Lukaku/Etoo could do quite well together.

Its going to be a difficult task for all those new signings to bed in to Rodgers system in the short term. We were poison against Southampton but the first half against City saw some of the nice play from last season so it could be a bit topsy turvy for a few weeks.

Spurs is a massive game and crucial to building a bit of momentum. Excited to see Mario play now - he should bring that bit of unpredictability and hopefully link nicely with Sturridge. Have been quietly impressed with Lambert on his two cameo appearances so far hes a decent option off the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its going to be a difficult task for all those new signings to bed in to Rodgers system in the short term. We were poison against Southampton but the first half against City saw some of the nice play from last season so it could be a bit topsy turvy for a few weeks.

Someone, possibly here, possibly not reckoned that this season was likely to be the most fraught of the next few as it takes a while for everyone to knit together and this is probably true. It'll be interesting to see if Rodgers will willing to give the new boys significant time or if he'll have a weekly core around which others revolve getting a game here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Everton signing Etoo for 2 years increases there threat IMO.
    Lukaku/Etoo could do quite well together.

Spurs is a massive game and crucial to building a bit of momentum. Excited to see Mario play now - he should bring that bit of unpredictability and hopefully link nicely with Sturridge. Have been quietly impressed with Lambert on his two cameo appearances so far hes a decent option off the bench.

After watching the last two games, I am really hoping to see Ballo up there with Sturridge and Sterling.

Someone, possibly here, possibly not reckoned that this season was likely to be the most fraught of the next few as it takes a while for everyone to knit together and this is probably true. It'll be interesting to see if Rodgers will willing to give the new boys significant time or if he'll have a weekly core around which others revolve getting a game here and there.

There is a decent core there too though which should help, but I still expect us to be somewhat inconsistent until Nov/Dec.

Mignolet

Skrtel Lovren (Not as difficult for him to adapt as a CB)

Henderson Gerrard

Sterling Sturridge

I believe those players will start most games and Allen and Coutinho getting a fair amount too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can't see why Joe Allen would want to take a step down to join Man United even if Rodgers wanted to sell him.

I am sure he'll stick with Lovren and Moreno, not sure who will be the regular starters on the other side though?

Lallana is a likely starter, but with Allen playing well, who does he drop?

And Balo is sure to start most games, once he trains well and is fully fit.

Can, Markovic, Manquillo and Lambert all squaddies for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

We have needed a proper DM ever since Masch left and nothing has changed. If we could sign one I'd fully believe we would be in with a serious chance of winning the league again this year. Without one we will continue to be a shambles defensively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I somehow don't think Joe Allen will be going to United lads.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There defence looks like it needs strengthening we have £50m right back who might suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Twas against Spurs. 4-0 he got sent off I think.

He played RB v Middlesboro once also......we lost that one 2!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'd put Can in at RB this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

MD1990 wrote: »
    Skrtel should be dropped. Loves dropping deep which leaves way too much space between the defence & midfield & makes it very hard for Gerrard & the midfield then get tired having to cover the huge gaps.Mignolet doesn't help being stuck to the line as well & its been said he doesn't communicate either. Lovren & Sakho would be a better pairing who would push up & be aggressive.

If Mignolet was stuck to the line Aguero wouldnt have scored. He touched the ball outside the box on numerous occassions, the problem is that that is not his natural game. He drifts out, forgets where he is and cant move his feet fast enough.

Milkers wrote: »
    I'd put Can in at RB this weekend.

Really? Why?

I'd put Manquillo back in, let him concentrate on defending though, and have Hendo patrolling that side with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Really wouldn't mind getting Cech in for the next year or two, Mignolet has his moments of wonder, both good and bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

He played RB v Middlesboro once also......we lost that one 2!!!
    Skrtel is at his best in a compact back 4, with both CBs on the edge of the box, post width apart and two FBs at the end of the box.

Anything else and he falls to pieces.

He is in panic mode in wide open spaces without someone close by to give him support.

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Really wouldn't mind getting Cech in for the next year or two, Mignolet has his moments of wonder, both good and bad.

If we had Cech he would start IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Cech would start in most teams in the world. If we could get him, it really would be a no brainer.

Could someone remind me where Song used to play for Arsenal as I had thought he'd be great to fill in for/replace Gerrard but I've seen a lot of people saying he doesn't play that position.

Of course Cech would start! Still one of the top 3 keepers along with Courtois and De Gea, IMO.
    But it'll never happen, so no point dwelling on it.

What even happened to Romero and Karius?

Balotelli's post on instagram....

BwCVWB0IcAERwSl.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I can't see why Joe Allen would want to take a step down to join Man United even if Rodgers wanted to sell him.

Would take £30m* for Allen, and then put that towards buying Vidal. :D

*Figure is based on the 2014 transfer window and some of ythe mad prices being banded about.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would take £30m* for Allen, and then put that towards buying Vidal. :D

*Figure is based on the 2014 transfer window and some of the mad prices being banded about.

Sure Allen is the new Vidal, just a teeny bit more reserved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Wouldn't want Cech. The head on him pisses me off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I had a horrible dream last night that we lost 4-0 to some team in League 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Wouldn't want Cech.

Ridiculous. He'd be a massive upgrade. No better keeper in the world available right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

8-10 wrote: »
    Ridiculous. He'd be a massive upgrade. No better keeper in the world available right now.

Didn't say he wasn't better then Mig, just that I wouldn't want him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And I said I think that's ridiculous. :P

I'm a big Petr Cech fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Diego Lopez was the keeper to buy. I can't see why he wouldn't have wanted to join.

I have no confidence in Mig. He doesn't have the nerves or presence to play the game at the very top level.

Assume your joking, can't think of another reason why anyone would refuse an upgrade on any position...

Migs definately needs more competition. City, Chelsea, United and Spurs all have better second choices, real competition. And their first choices are already better than ours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

whats happening with Romero?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I can't see us getting in a GK. We just sold Reina who would have been good backup, yeah his wages were too high but who could you get that would be decent on half Reina's wages?*

*actually I'm talking out my arse, how much was Reina on?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement