Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Augmerson wrote: »
    I can't see us getting in a GK. We just sold Reina who would have been good backup, yeah his wages were too high but who could you get that would be decent on half Reina's wages?*

*actually I'm talking out my arse, how much was Reina on?

100k apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

daRobot wrote: »
    Diego Lopez was the keeper to buy. I can't see why he wouldn't have wanted to join.

I have no confidence in Mig. He doesn't have the nerves or presence to play the game at the very top level.

Absolutely Lopez is top class, Madrid have forced out there best keeper and for a pittance, we should have been all over that one. We had CL to offer and he would have been our number 1 in no time. It would have given Mignolet the kick up the arse then.

I don't buy this back up keeper, no player should be back up they should be competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

100k apparently.

P2nMqyF.gif

Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

BwCnfHYCIAA491L.png

Hopefully the start of a beautiful partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Any word on Moreno fitness or pictures of him training?

It has to be Sturridge, Ballotelli and Sterling this weekend.

Sturridge and just Sterling as main support isn't enough. Sturridge getting marked out of games and when he does go wide to pick up the ball there's not much support in the middle.

Lambert coming on in both games made a positive difference to Sturridges game.

Back to square 1 if Balotelli /Sturridge gets injured though. That's why I'd like to see another forward brought in

rarnes1 wrote: »

Sturridge and just Sterling as main support isn't enough. Sturridge getting marked out of games and when he does go wide to pick up the ball there's not much support in the middle.

Back to square 1 if Balotelli /Sturridge gets injured though. That's why I'd like to see another forward brought in
    Sterling could up with with Sturridge too imo

_________Sterling___________Sturridge_________
    _________________Lallana/Markovic____________
    ___________Coutinho_______Henderson_________
    _________________Gerrard_________________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    BwCnfHYCIAA491L.png

Hopefully the start of a beautiful partnership.

Only there 2 days and already has mis-matched boots on... :mad:

#daretobalo

We have to play with 2 strikers IMO. In the last 2 games the difference has been huge when Lambert has come on he created so much space for Sturridge and Sterling in the box.

Balotelli will be great to start he will give the Spurs defence so much to think of. We put 9 past Spurs last year without reply they will be desperate to show they are much improved so its going to be a very tricky game.

Lambert is perfectly capable of starting more games, he started 35+ last season for a top half team. I think these 3 compare favourably to any of the other top sides...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Augmerson wrote: »
    I had a horrible dream last night that we lost 4-0 to some team in League 1.

Good man, now that you said it out loud it won't happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

gafferino wrote: »
    Any word on Moreno fitness or pictures of him training?

playing FIFA with Suso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would not be overly keen on Cech tbh if we are talking about a replacement for Mignolet.

In recent seasons he has played in front of a far more settled defence than Mignolet, but for me he has had as many fluff moments as Mignolet has had (which to be fair to both keepers is not an awful lot when compared to points winning saves that get made)

If Mignolet was to be replaced, and I don't think there is a chance in hell of that happening this summer or during the next window, then we would need to be looking for a keeper who at worst can match the best aspects of Mignolet's game, and who then beats every other aspect of Mignolet's game.

The best sweeper keeper in the game today also happens to be the best all rounder imho, but that guy would not be available to us and to pretty much any team who looks at him.

The next set of guys who would be on the tier above Mignolet are mostly at big clubs already and not really realistic targets.

Names like Begovic get thrown around a lot when folk talk about replacing Mignolet. Now I think that Begovic is a smashing goalkeeper (and I also think Mignolet is) but if Mignolet had performed like Begovic has done in his first two games this season and like Begovic was doing towards the end of last season, people would be calling for his head.

What I really like about Mignolet is that he is a big moment player. He is the type of keeper who for every time he costs his team points in a game he will have three or four games in which he is the one who stops a win turning into a draw or a draw turning into a loss.

He got stick over Aguero's goal the other night, but we were already 2-0 down at that point and those playing in front of hm were hardly covering themselves with glory when it came to their defensive duties.

To be honest I would be very hard pushed to come up with an attainable goalkeeper who would almost certainly be a big upgrade on Mignolet as opposed to naming some keepers who might be an upgrade on him.

For my money the back line in front of Mignolet needs to be sorted and settled first. Not much good criticising Mignolet when we get instances like we got on Monday night where Johnson and Skrtel were holding a very different line to what Lovern and Moreno were doing.

I would love to see Lambert start a few games, he has got a lot about him and has plenty to offer, he shouldn't be considered just an option from the bench, he creates and scores goals, really enjoyed watching him the last 2 years.

Sturridge is first choice currently there is no question about that but Lambert shouldn't be considered nailed on 3rd choice either.

Victor Valdes should be a keeper we are looking at. On a free & would surely accept a drop in wages coming back from a serious injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

BwCpl0JIMAAAPDs.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

With less than a week to go in the window, and with 9 players bought (albeit with one sent out on loan again), does anyone here think we'll actually buy anyone else? I'm fairly certain we won't, I don't think any more targets (positions if not names) have been mentioned by Rodgers, or am I wrong?

I'm kinda assuming that we won't get anyone else in, though a few might go out...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Steve Clarke not in running for crystal palace job anymore. Would love to see him brought in as defensive coach. Something we need badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

The team I'd like to see on Sunday against Spuds playing a diamond 4-4-2.

Mignolet

Manquillo Lovern Sakho Moreno (if not fit Enrique)

Gerrard

Henderson Coutinho

Sterling

Balotelli Sturridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Could they not give Mario a jacket rather than a bib.
    He obviously has issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kess73 wrote: »

Still hasn't learned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Would have loved for us to get Fernando at the start of the window. (to think City got him for 12m!!!) I think we badly need a sitter in front of the back four, someone defensively minded who'll sweep up, track runners etc etc.

Mignolet

Gerrard

Henderson Coutinho

Sterling

Balotelli Sturridge

Skrtel instead of Sakho and Allen instead of Coutinho for me.

Kess73 wrote: »

Sakho having a problem with his bib? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

hadepsx wrote: »
    Steve Clarke not in running for crystal palace job anymore. Would love to see him brought in as defensive coach. Something we need badly

What tangible evidence is there that he's any good?

While he was part of a successful Chelsea set up, he was also part of a failed Liverpool & West Ham one.

I'm not saying that he's not good, just that with the exception of his time at West Brom, it's near impossible to rate him either way as nobody (outwith those who have worked with hin) is privy to the quality of his input.

We can rate managers and players on what we see, but assistants and coachs? I think it's all speculation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Mignolet

Gerrard

Henderson Coutinho

Sterling

Balotelli Sturridge

Allen for Coutinho for me.

0028673 wrote: »
    Allen for Coutinho for me.

Second that. Coutinho hasn't hit the ground running yet, and Spurs have a physical midfield, we will someone who can put themself about a little more than Phil...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Lambert is perfectly capable of starting more games, he started 35+ last season for a top half team. I think these 3 compare favourably to any of the other top sides...

He is but imo he's just back up otherwise you're just taking Suarez out and Lambert in.

He's in as 3rd/4th striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this may be a 'siege mentality' thing on my part, but i'm getting sick and tired of the amount of people who expect us to be the ones to drop out of the top 4 this year.

Chelsea and City are nailed on, that's fine.

you could even claim Arsenal too, considering their record in getting into the CL over the last 17 years.

but i don't think the Liverpool team, or the squad that has been built, is given near enough credit - both by rival fans, and by the media. we have a damn fine fúcking team, off the back of a brilliant season last year.

there is absolutely nothing to suggest, bar the lack of Suarez obviously, that we should all of a sudden plummet. i also think the Champions League "fixture congestion" thing is a bit of a fallacy and an excuse. it's a minimum of 6 extra games, all near the start of the season when the team should still be quite fresh. the bigger squad is very welcome, and will combat whatever congestion is there, but I don't think it needs to be a big deal.

the team deserves some credit IMO. i don't think we should be favourites for the league, and i don't think people should automatically have us as a cert for top 4 or anything, but I am bewildered by the level of expectancy around that Liverpool are simply destined to drop out of the top 4, and most likely to Utd because van Gaal's 'genius' will inevitably shine through.

bollocks to that. the team needs to exhibit a bit of arrogance in how they approach the season. they are good, and they should know it. they should go into games expecting to beat teams. they should ignore everyone else's expectancy that they'll fall to 5th or lower, and go out and make them eat their words.

bring on another season where we prove all the doubters wrong, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Skrtel instead of Sakho and Allen instead of Coutinho for me.

I would have Can above Allen and I would go with Skrtel . I think you need a big physical presence in the centre of midfield for Sunday and that's why I would go with Can .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Coutinho tends to struggle in Away games. No harm to bench him and he is a great option to bring on.

This game is more important then the City game. Don't think we have a chance of winning the league but staying in the Top 4 is vital.

Spurs recruits have had a year to bed in and despite the managerial problems they still finished with an impressive points tally in the league. Added to that Poccetino is a quality manager and I expect them to be a big threat this year.

Psyched for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Get Sakho back in there for the weekend.

Drop Allen? No way. Coutinho should be the one out, would like to see Can play, just to be nosey.

I would have Can above Allen and I would go with Skrtel . I think you need a big physical presence in the centre of midfield for Sunday and that's why I would go with Can .

Can hasnt started, or finished, a game for us yet. He didnt cover himself in glory when he came on against City the last day...and could easily have been sent off. Allen was probably our best midfielder on the night. Can has that physical presence alright but I think Allen's ball retention and distrubition is whats going to be required Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

SlickRic wrote: »

but i don't think the Liverpool team, or the squad that has been built, is given near enough credit - both by rival fans, and by the media.

I agree that we are being written off but we were too last season. I think it will be an annual thing until we establish ourselves as a top 4 team again.

I mean, yes Arsenal have got the top 4 for 17 years but recently they have just been scraping over the line and even with their 40 million signing last summer still did their usual February collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Would have loved for us to get Fernando at the start of the window. (to think City got him for 12m!!!) I think we badly need a sitter in front of the back four, someone defensively minded who'll sweep up, track runners etc etc.

It's the biggest problem with our current formation. And the added complexity is that there is already somebody in that location on the pitch who is not doing that job.

I'd love to know how we are going to become defensively sound, i.e. what formation/selection is going to work for us. I don't think we have the option of a DM really, as long as Gerrard is playing the "quarterback" role, and occupying the space a proper DM should be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What's the craic with Assaidi these days? Is he staying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal fan here guys! Just been reading that Neil Warnock has been appointed the new Crystal Palace manager. In 2008 Benitez fielded a weakened team in the league as they lost 1-0 to Fulham and sent Sheffield United down! Completely forgot about that! Imagine if Rodgers does something similar! :pac:

DenMan wrote: »
    Arsenal fan here guys! Just been reading that Neil Warnock has been appointed the new Crystal Palace manager. In 2008 Benitez fielded a weakened team in the league as they lost 1-0 to Fulham and sent Sheffield United down! Completely forgot about that! Imagine if Rodgers does something similar! :pac:

That's always a sticky one. It should be down to a manager to decide what team they play, particularly when you have a lot of games coming up.
    Mick McCarthy got fined for it!!
    But unless the losing team/manager have something to gain from it (money, usually), it should be entirely at the manager's discretion...

I'd be happy not to see Skrtel play for the first team again tbh.

Get Sakho in and let him and Lovren be our first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I'd be happy not to see Skrtel play for the first team again tbh.

Get Sakho in and let him and Lovren be our first choice

I know they're both LCB aren't they? How much of a difference is it for someone to play RCB?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Yeah, get Sakho in IMO, he's the future, the longer he's kicking his heels on the bench the sooner he might want to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Only there 2 days and already has mis-matched boots on... :mad:

#daretobalo

Really?

That's the way Puma do that boot now. You didn't see every second player at the World Cup wearing them?

puma_tricks_arsenal_players_img1.jpg

That's always a sticky one. It should be down to a manager to decide what team they play, particularly when you have a lot of games coming up.
    But unless the losing team/manager have something to gain from it (money, usually), it should be entirely at the manager's discretion...

I agree. The manager has his whole squad at his disposal. They are there to be called upon if needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I know it's a different Spurs but Coutinho was the best player in the 2 games against them last season IMO. Every time he got the ball he caused panic and drew in 2 or 3 players, whether with a surging run or an incisive pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The good news is the the PL changed their views on player selection and managers won't get punished for picking and choosing.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/14166038

Brendão wrote: »
    Really?

That's the way Puma do that boot now. You didn't see every second player at the World Cup wearing them?

puma_tricks_arsenal_players_img1.jpg

Mertesacker - "Slow down lads!!!" #knackered

(Is that Ray Parlour Jr in the middle?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeah, get Sakho in IMO, he's the future, the longer he's kicking his heels on the bench the sooner he might want to leave.

Good point. He really didn't want to leave PSG but decided he had to in the end as he wasn't getting enough game time.

Brendão wrote: »
    Really?

Please tell me that you knew I was joking!!!

Did that REALLY need a ;) or a :D ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

Mertesacker - "Slow down lads!!!" #knackered

(Is that Ray Parlour Jr in the middle?)

I think it's Austin Lipman, one of our academy players. That was a pre-season pic as Bendtner is there. He's on loan at Boreham Wood.

http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/austin-lipman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement