Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Would the signing of Song mean we could move Stevie up the field slightly?? Surely his quarterback style play that he employs today would be better used with a man pressing behind and in front of him and he can then really dictate from the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

noodler wrote: »
    No I remember Friday morning draws as well.

Maybe its just for later rounds?

I'm not crazy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    Probably the heart ruling the head, but I would have preferred him to Ballotelli. Really think he would have been reinvigorated to a degree being back at Anfield.

Torres is finished. Bringing him back would be a mistake. He's lost nearly everything that made him great with us. I enjoyed watching him play and he won us many points and games. He had his time with us.

One thing that will always grate with me is he left when the club needed him the most but I know thats fanboy stuff, we did get a massive fee for him. To watch him (at his peak) and Suarez play together in last seasons attacking setup would be stuff of dreams. But back to reality and Sturridge and Balotelli could be amazing also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Vanolder wrote: »
    Would the signing of Song mean we could move Stevie up the field slightly?? Surely his quarterback style play that he employs today would be better used with a man pressing behind and in front of him and he can then really dictate from the middle?
    Nope, Gerrard doesn't have the legs to be charging up the pitch and the defensive role suits him fine. If he joined us, I think we would probably see him rotating with Gerrard at times, or often playing alongside Gerrard in a slightly more central role when we're playing decent opposition. He was tried out in central defence at Barcelona and the whole episode turned into a train wreck, so for me, I think his best position will be in the central role.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Torres is finished. Bringing him back would be a mistake. He's lost nearly everything that made him great with us. I enjoyed watching him play and he won us many points and games. He had his time with us.
    The sad thing about Torres is that he just doesn't even looked bothered anymore. If Rafa couldn't get the best out of him, then no one can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I am honestly not exaggerating when I say I would probably prefer Lambert or Borini as options to Torres.

Would have been livid if we'd signed him. So far short of the quality we needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

20 Years ago today :D I feel so old now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

NukaCola wrote: »

One thing that will always grate with me is he left when the club needed him the most but I know thats fanboy stuff, we did get a massive fee for him. To watch him (at his peak) and Suarez play together in last seasons attacking setup would be stuff of dreams. But back to reality and Sturridge and Balotelli could be amazing also.

Completely agree. In the final half season, he scored 8 in 26 appearances for us: dreadful by his standards. It wasn't even just the scoring record, a lot of his pace had gone from his game - it was the same at WC2010, without the goals, he was just so languid and slow to watch, and was rightly criticised in Spain. in the latter part of that 09-10 season, he had knee surgery which ruled him out of the end of the season. I think this hastened his demise a bit.

His game had started to fall apart, and we cashed in at the right time. The reality is, we had already started to lose Torres. Or, at least, the Torres we had enjoyed watching up until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Dickerty wrote: »
    If we signed Song, he'd want assurances that he's get his game regularly.
    I am not sure he would...

I'm comfortable with us lying to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Nope, Gerrard doesn't have the legs to be charging up the pitch and the defensive role suits him fine. If he joined us, I think we would probably see him rotating with Gerrard at times, or often playing alongside Gerrard in a slightly more central role when we're playing decent opposition. He was tried out in central defence at Barcelona and the whole episode turned into a train wreck, so for me, I think his best position will be in the central role.

I get that, and i'm not looking for Gerrard to go charging around the place.. At the moment he's not doing a job defencively and he never will, it's not his game. His passing and ability to launch an attack are still badly needed but he is not a holding midfielder.. Lallana/Henderson and Song can do the pressing. I just still think he is one of our best attacking options and i'd like to see him slightly more advanced but youre right, it won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That was the very first Liverpool match I saw proper, I saw that hat trick and said from then on that's who I want to support, my cousin was always giving me hand we down Liverpool jerseys much to the dislike of my Manchester born father :D but that was the first time I proper watched a match.

My cousin was my hero, he was 8 years older than me and was the biggest LFC fan I have ever known, took me to my first Anfield game and many more. Unfortunately I say was because himself, me and his friend were in a car crash 6 years ago, he was killed instantly, his friend was paralysed and I got away with a few broken bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

rob316 wrote:
    My cousin was my hero, he was 8 years older than me and was the biggest LFC fan I have ever known, took me to my first Anfield game and many more. Unfortunately I say was because himself, me and his friend were in a car crash 6 years ago, he was killed instantly, his friend was paralysed and I got away with a few broken bones.

Jesus man, that's tough, sorry for your loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

rob316 wrote: »
    That was the very first Liverpool match I saw proper, I saw that hat trick and said from then on that's who I want to support, my cousin was always giving me hand we down Liverpool jerseys much to the dislike of my Manchester born father :D but that was the first time I proper watched a match.

That's awful, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Must be horrendous to have been in such a bad accident. Something like this happened to two friends of mine. I bet he would be glad you still follow Liverpool, that's something you will always have.

YNWA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    Torres I felt was always abit overated. Was always lacking a little bit technically. Outside of his Liverpool from 2007-2010 he has not had a top class scoring record. Benitez & Gerrard suited Torres perfectly & he will never reach that level again.

Ah, he was class at Athletico at a time when they were not really anywhere near as strong as they are now.
    Defo heart ruling head there!
    He has completely lost it - as spectacular a fall from grace as a player every had. He was the best striker in the world (out and out striker, unlike Leo and CR), and now he is barely an adequate bench option.

In 3.5 years at Chelsea, he's scored 20 league goals. 20!!!
    It not as if he's played out of position. He had 65 in less games at Liverpool.

He's a busted flush, 100%...

I will just point out that Ballotelli has 30 goals in his last three seasons and he takes penalties unlike Torres.

I don't use that as an argument to sign Torres, just to point out that maybe we shouldn't get overely excited about Ballo when their records from open play don't seem that different recently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

My expectation form Balotelli isn't 20+ goals a season

With his physicality, speed and hold-up play I expect him to have a 'cat among the pigeons' effect on defenses taking some focus off sturridge/sterling and allowing them more chances on goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

x43r0 wrote: »

With his physicality, speed and hold-up play I expect him to have a 'cat among the pigeons' effect on defenses taking some focus off sturridge/sterling and allowing them more chances on goal

Definitely. Initially, I will be delighted if he can just create more room for Sturridge.

England squad out.

Johnson dropped.

Henderson, Sterling, Lambert and Sturridge our representatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

England squad out.

Johnson dropped.

Johnson is injured more so than dropped surely.

If Balotelli scores 10 to 15 goals this season I will be very happy.

If his off the ball distrations lead to Sturridge coming any way close to his form last season and getting 20 goals then Balotelli will have done his job and been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

England squad out.

Johnson dropped.

Lallana dropped as well then yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

x43r0 wrote: »

Spot on, that's why Suarez was so great, he had 2 if not more defenders tracking him and still managed to get rid of them off his back and score

Balotelli will be a different player to what we've seen before I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Is the CL draw being shown on TV? Cant find it in the listings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

gafferino wrote: »

Sky Sports News and Sky Sports 5 from 4:30pm

RTE are showing it live on their website I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Augmerson wrote: »
    That's awful, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Must be horrendous to have been in such a bad accident. Something like this happened to two friends of mine. I bet he would be glad you still follow Liverpool, that's something you will always have.

YNWA.

Thanks lads,

Ya know the crash happened so quickly I thankfully don't have much of a memory of it, I hit my head and was out cold, I just remember waking up in hospital been told he was gone and what happened.
    He left behind a young son, who will be 10 next season, so the grooming of him to be a liverpool fan is in full swing, Im bringing him to Anfield for his 10th Birthday for the first time, just like his dad did for me.

**** me this is soppy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

**** me this is soppy stuff.

Fair play for sharing. And I am sure the kid appreciates everything people do for him, that is father isn't around to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If Balotelli scores 10 to 15 goals this season I will be very happy.

If his off the ball distrations lead to Sturridge coming any way close to his form last season and getting 20 goals then Balotelli will have done his job and been worth it.

My minimum expectatons for the main front men this season would be one in two from Sturridge and somewhere between one in two and one in three from Balotelli.

See no reason why they could not hit that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Lallana dropped as well then yeah?

Dont mind that so much, given hes returning from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'll never forget that game. Watching it on RTE and sitting on the floor in front of the tele. Myself, my mother, stepbrother (Aresnal fan)' and stepfather (Utd fan).
    Utd fan says that Arsenal are going to stuff Liverpool, cue that hat trick.

Henderson, Lambert, Sterling and Sturridge named in the England squad for next weeks friendly V Norway.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169714-reds-quartet-named-in-england-squad

• Advertisement

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fcs-glen-johnson-relaxed-7681670

His £110,000 per week salary makes him one of Liverpool’s highest earners and the club have no intention of matching those terms for a player who turned 30 last weekend.

“I’m very relaxed about my contract,” Johnson told the ECHO.

“There are no talks going on with the club at the moment. There were minor talks towards the end of last season but nothing else.

“I’ve loved playing my football here from day one. I’m more than happy here. But obviously I can only talk to the club about it when they want to speak to me.”

“ In January I could (talk to other clubs), but I’ll worry about that when January comes,” he added.

“At the minute I’m playing for Liverpool and I’m happy here. I’m more than willing to stay. “I’ll just concentrate on things here week by week. The manager has picked me so far. That shows he wants me here.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'll never forget that game. Watching it on RTE and sitting on the floor in front of the tele. Myself, my mother, stepbrother (Aresnal fan)' and stepfather (Utd fan).

You obviously have forgotten the game cos it wasn't on RTE, it was a Sunday Sky game at 4! :pac:

skywalker wrote: »
    Dont mind that so much, given hes returning from injury.

That was more a comment on that Johnson had been 'dropped' despite being injured...same as Lallana.

His £110,000 per week salary makes him one of Liverpool’s highest earners and the club have no intention of matching those terms for a player who turned 30 last weekend.

“I’m very relaxed about my contract,” Johnson told the ECHO.

Of course he's very relaxed, he gets paid no matter how he performs.
    He SHOULD NOT be relaxed, he should be busting a gut to prove he deserves to stay, and not bottling every 50/50 (or 60/40!) for fear of getting a knock...

??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Im bringing him to Anfield for his 10th Birthday for the first time, just like his dad did for me.

Wow, I remember bringing my own son to Anfield for the the first time when he was around 9 and it was one of those milestone events neither of us will ever forget. He's 13 now and in 2nd year and only yesterday he reminded me of the first time we went over to Anfield.

What you are doing for your friends son is exactly what I'd want my friend to do if I wasn't around for my son, fair play to you. It will be a poignant trip but one which should also be very enjoyable. Your friend is resting in peace knowing his son is being taken care of so well. RIP and YNWA.

Ben

Henderson, Lambert, Sterling and Sturridge named in the England squad for next weeks friendly V Norway.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169714-reds-quartet-named-in-england-squad

I'd imagine if Lallana was fit, Gerrard hadn't retired they'd be in the squad too.

Was going to mention Johnson too but he is just muck and offers little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Anyone know what time the draw is on?

Looks like we are in for another CB. Eder Balanta.

Ian Ayre at it again! A new Harley for the man.:D
    River’s £8million price tag on the player.

However, the club has now confirmed that they’re willing to accept just £4.3million, clearing the way for Liverpool to now swoop in.
    Liverpool want Balanta as a replacement for Daniel Agger, with the Dane likely to depart before the end of the transfer window.

A centre back who can play at left back or in midfield, Balanta is famed for his strength and power.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/28/liverpool-get-green-light-to-finally-complete-eder-balanta-transfer-for-4-3million-4848754/

• Advertisement

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the draw is on?

Still at 4.30, like it was on the last page and the page before that. :D

Looks like we are in for another CB. Eder Balanta.

Metro though. Shame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

kfallon wrote: »
    You obviously have forgotten the game cos it wasn't on RTE, it was a Sunday Sky game at 4! :pac:

Was it? Could have sworn it was on RTE, what game am I thinking of on RTE?
    All I can say is that I'm a sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

OK!, I get it, We don't like Johnson, Can we just stop now its getting very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'll never forget that game. Watching it on RTE and sitting on the floor in front of the tele.

Pfft....pretending you watched the game, what a sap

OK!, I get it, We don't like Johnson, Can we just stop now its getting very boring.

god-no-meme.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's a fúcking beautiful day, isn't it?

Bolton no longer interested in Ibe apparently. Hopefully that paves the way for Derby County to come in for him.

Bolton no longer interested in Ibe apparently. Hopefully that paves the way for Derby County to come in for him.

Otherwise knows as Ibe saying he'd rather go to Derby...

Otherwise knows as Ibe saying he'd rather go to Derby...

Yep, either way good news. Don't think Ibe is going to learn much from Spearing pointing all around him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Marca have just name dropped us as the team to be avoided

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement