Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

noodler wrote: »
    Ah, he was class at Athletico at a time when they were not really anywhere near as strong as they are now.

I will just point out that Ballotelli has 30 goals in his last three seasons and he takes penalties unlike Torres.

I don't use that as an argument to sign Torres, just to point out that maybe we shouldn't get overely excited about Ballo when their records from open play don't seem that different recently!

Much like Rafa, I like to deal in facts:

Fact: Balotelli has 26 in a season and a half with Milan, and 39 over the last three seasons.

Fact: The 26 goals were achieved over 43 appearances.

Fact: Torres has 20 goals over 4 (!) seasons after 110 (!) appearances.

These numbers aren't even scarcely comparable, "their records from open play don't seem that different"?!? A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

In summary: 2014 Torres is muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Marca have just name dropped us as the team to be avoided

No-one likes us

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Marca have just name dropped us as the team to be avoided

Its the logistics of getting all the panda's into stadiums that has them all scared :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fact: Balotelli has 26 in a season and a half with Milan, and 39 over the last three seasons.

These numbers aren't even scarcely comparable, "their records from open play don't seem that different"?!? A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

not arguing your point at all, but just out of interest - how many of Balotelli's goals were penalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's a fúcking beautiful day, isn't it?

greendom wrote: »
    not arguing your point at all, but just out of interest - how many of Balotelli's goals were penalties?

It's a good question, been trying to figure it out myself - this is closest I could get. Perhaps somebody else knows a proper answer though, as this gives an incomplete picture:

"These figures can be boosted and Liverpool create a lot of chances from inside the area. Balotelli has an excellent long range shot but would probably need to reduce his number of shots far more in line with El Pistolero's if he is going to continue with this shot monster approach and up his frequency of shooting in the area. His shot accuracy is comparable to the other three strikers so if he can alter his approach then he could experience a far better goal tally and finally break past 14 league goals in a season though he scored 12 goals in 13 Serie A matches after he arrived at AC Milan in January 2013 and would surely have scored at least 20 league goals over a full season in 2012/13 with such form and figures."

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

6 of the 12 in 13 were penalties, 3 or the 14 last season were. 9 in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agreed, I had heard the 30 over three seasons stat alot and didnt realise the last season at City was counted.

Still though, no need to be a dick about it! Rafa deals in humility as well!

Don't know if its been mentioned before but saw a clip of a press conference of when Balotelli joined AC and a s*n journalist identified himself and before he could finish or ask a question Mario interrupt him and said he refused to speak to him or that paper as they wrote nothing but bad things about him from day one of his time in England. Even got a bit of clap :D

Thought that might be appreciated in here.

noodler wrote: »
    Agreed, I had heard the 30 over three seasons stat alot and didnt realise the last season at City was counted.

Still though, no need to be a dick about it! Rafa deals in humility as well!

You're right, I was a bit of a dick there actually! Sorry. I started on the theme of Rafa and facts and warmed to it... it didn't start off as prickly as it ended up!

0.43 non-penalty goals per 90 minutes in 13/14 season for Balo, which isn't brilliant of course (fwiw, I was/am against the signing, though fully acknowledge we absolutely do need a second striker). He goes as high as 0.68 non penalty goals per 90 in 2011-12 for City, so the real question is: can we get him there, or at least to 0.5+ range?

• Advertisement

Actually if we inlcude ALL COMPs, wiki says Torres has 44 in 154 in the last three seasons so a 0.29% ratio

Ballotelli has 33 in 74 in his last three seasons so a 0.45% ratio.

At least 9 of Ballotelli's goals were penalties (I'd wager one or two of his last three with City were as well) so that takes him down to 24 open play goals from 74 games which is a ratio of 0.32%

tl:dr?

In all comps last three seasons Ballotelli has a GPG record of 0.45% or 0.32% without penalties (although this may be lower as I don't know about his last three City goals)

Torres has an equivalent ratio of 0.29%.

So I take back my apology above and say again that their open play records are not that different at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Ah look, you also have to consider Chelsea's far greater quality in midfield, creating far more chances for a player.
    More effective to look at conversion % or goals per minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

All this Torres talk has me ruminating, What drives a player more do people reckon, trophies you played little part in winning or personal accolades? With hindsight of course would Torres trade all the medals he's won with Chelsea to have been a valuable cog in our push for the title last year, to be loved by the fans and feared by the opposition once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Sturridge scored 26 in 96 games (0.27%) before joining Liverpool and he didn't turn out too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Completely agree. In the final half season, he scored 8 in 26 appearances for us: dreadful by his standards.
    In fairness to him, Roy Hodgson's Liverpool was not setup to score goals. He scored 3 goals in his last 4 games under Dalglish which would suggest he still had his scoring touch when the team actually played football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just curious lads. How does one purchase champions league tickets.

Is it the same as premier league matches or is it with Uefa? Definitely intend on getting to one match this season.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Ah look, you also have to consider Chelsea's far greater quality in midfield, creating far more chances for a player.
    More effective to look at conversion % or goals per minute...

https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/football/consistency-key-balotelli-liverpool

Best stats for Balotelli here. Some good stuff in it - mystified about what happened in his final half season at City - it's such a weird temporary fall off a cliff before recovering fine at Milan for second half of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

tok9 wrote: »

Is it the same as premier league matches or is it with Uefa? Definitely intend on getting to one match this season.

Same system as prem league matches
    Used to get priority for group matches (or qualifying) if you had matches from last season but obviously that can't be used this year

Priority for later rounds to people who went to group matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Can't wait to see who we get in get draw. Bring on the big boys I say. They will not want to play us on a cold November night in Anfield :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

noodler wrote:
    Actually if we inlcude ALL COMPs, wiki says Torres has 44 in 154 in the last three seasons so a 0.29% ratio

noodler wrote:
    Ballotelli has 33 in 74 in his last three seasons so a 0.45% ratio.

means nowt when you ain't using minutes played rather than appearances. FWIW kun aguero is the king in that statistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Same system as prem league matches
    Used to get priority for group matches (or qualifying) if you had matches from last season but obviously that can't be used this year

Priority for later rounds to people who went to group matches

Best go to a couple group matches so, so you've a chance of getting tickets for the final.

sweetie wrote: »
    means nowt when you ain't using minutes played rather than appearances. FWIW kun aguero is the king in that statistic.

Another time!

Anyway, on the face if it, and given he won't be taking penalties, Balotelli has a battle on his hands if he wants to be as prolific for Liverpool as Torres has been for Chelsea!:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

tok9 wrote: »

I've already scouted out flights for some of the intended group dates, intend on booking ASAP after the draw if there's an away game in Spain, Portugal, Germany or France.....anyone with me?

How to get tickets I have NO IDEA! But I figure I'll get the flights booked first then trawl the internet for the best place to get away match tickets. Worst case scenario I'll get home team tickets (ok worst case scenario I watch in a local bar), but I'd be very interested in knowing how to get Liverpool section tickets without using the tout websites (not likely to consider those)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

We've apparently just drawn Real Madrid and Juventus in the rehersal

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Talisman wrote: »
    In fairness to him, Roy Hodgson's Liverpool was not setup to score goals. He scored 3 goals in his last 4 games under Dalglish which would suggest he still had his scoring touch when the team actually played football.
    For me, the above has to be tempered with the fact that he knew he was going to look for a move so had to put himself in the shop window.

In short, Torres, meh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The people who keep mentioning Torres, did they actually watch him at Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Is it 5pm yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Whats with all the Torres chatter? We've closed this chapter. May as well be pining after Aquillani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Still at 4.30, like it was on the last page and the page before that. :D

Does it even occur to you that maybe I didnt see the last page and the page before that? Take your f*ckin sarcasm somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

What time is the draw at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kess73 wrote: »
    Strange move by Bayern if it comes off as Xabi has faded quite a bit over the last 12 to 18 months.

Admittedly I don't watch La Liga but his performances n the semi finals and final of last seasons Champions League semis was top drawer. He might be aging but he's still got a lot to offer IMO.

His wage demands are probably huge so it's unlikely we would have met that for a player who is 33 this November. I still would have loved to seen him back at Anfield for two seasons, his CL experience would be invaluable for tough away games on the continent.

The people who keep mentioning Torres, did they actually watch him at Chelsea?
    ush wrote: »
    Whats with all the Torres chatter? We've closed this chapter. May as well be pining after Aquillani.

Nothing worse than posts like these!

You know exactly what was being discussed.

Don't like - don't comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Fescue wrote: »
    What time is the draw at?

I do believe its at 5.45CET.
    says so right here.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Does it even occur to you that maybe I didnt see the last page and the page before that? Take your f*ckin sarcasm somewhere else

Since you recognised it as sarcasm, and I put a smiley face on it, I don't think the aggression is necessary...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

What time is the draw at pal?

This is what's it's all about.

Roll on the draw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Did someone p!ss all over your cornflakes this morning? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Since you recognised it as sarcasm, and I put a smiley face on it, I don't think the aggression is necessary...

The sarcasm wasnt necessary either, hardly my fault dont be on this thing 24 hours of the day and i didnt see the previous pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The sad thing about Torres is that he just doesn't even looked bothered anymore. If Rafa couldn't get the best out of him, then no one can.

Tbh his confidence is so shot I think there are times he doesn't want to be on the pitch.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

jimmymal wrote: »
    I do believe its at 5.45CET.
    says so right here.

Yeah I wouldn't have the time to go through all that. It's easier for me to log on here, ask the question, wait for a few minutes and check for the response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

More like pms.murphy...amiright? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

were gonna get barca, i would love that tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Was it? Could have sworn it was on RTE, what game am I thinking of on RTE?
    All I can say is that I'm a sap.

The season before RTE showed delayed coverage of Liverpool v Arsenal at Anfield on a Saturday, it was Fowler's League debut I think (defo home league debut) and it finished 0-0. Liverpool wore the same kit so maybe that's why you were getting confused!

The sarcasm wasnt necessary either, hardly my fault dont be on this thing 24 hours of the day and i didnt see the previous pages

Sarcasm is never 'necessary', it's a form of humour. I answered the question all the same!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Tomorrow at 11am is the draw pal. Just like previous years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Imagine what it is going to be like hearing that music at Anfield, if we're all this excited about a boring CL draw!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Did someone p!ss all over your cornflakes this morning? :P

More like PMS.murphy, am I right guys?

Am I right?

Guys?

Ahh screw ye, ye miserable bastards.

Edit: Damn you Gallagher! I'd have had it if I didn't multiquote the wrong post first... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Jaysus, people are getting very tense waiting for this draw :P

I personally don't care about the draw results.

If we get big teams it'll be great to see us against them, if they're weaker teams then we have a better chance of going through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Knex. wrote: »
    More like PMS.murphy, am I right guys?

Am I right?

Guys?

Ahh screw ye, ye miserable bastards.

Edit: Damn you Gallagher! I'd have had it if I didn't multiquote the wrong post first... :mad:

Failing at life again I see ya sap.

• Advertisement

Failing at life again I see ya sap.

Its a tough life, hangballs, its a tough life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement