Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Kess73 wrote: »

So in an attempt to drag my own post back into soccer related things........ who does everyone want to see us sign next? :D

I honestly don't know. We need a striker. And despite Sturridge saying he wants to be the lone striker his fitness leaves a lot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mickalus wrote: »
    OK I'll bite (pun intended :D), 2 questions....

1. Why were you sitting on your hands before?
    and 2. How can you be so sure he'll score for Liverpool? You, him and Michel got some side bets about fixing the Champs league draw and O.G.'s or something?

Not sure about point 2 but point 1 was a reference to last summer - I wanted him sold and said that I'd have to sit on my hands whenever he scored as I couldn't celebrate the goals of someone who was agitating to leave and was a nutter. Obviously I didn't expect him to score so many goals. I now have FHS - Flat Hands Syndrome.

In other news the U21s League fixtures and fittings are out. Its another arse up with just 22 games and one game in Nov/Dec.
    August
    Monday, 18. Sunderland (A) 7pm, at Eppleton Colliery Welfare Ground.
    Friday, 22. Manchester United (H) 7pm, at Anfield.

September
    Friday, 12. West Ham United (A), 7pm, at Upton Park.
    Monday, 22. Manchester City (H) 7pm, at Anfield.
    Monday, 29. Everton (A) 7pm, at Southport FC.

October
    Friday, 17. Southampton (H), 7pm, at Kirkby Academy.
    Monday, 27. Fulham (A) 7pm, at Craven Cottage.
    Friday, 31. Tottenham Hotspur (H), 7pm, at Langtree Park, St Helens.

No league fixtures in November.

December
    Wednesday, 17. Norwich City (A), 7pm, at Carrow Road.

January 2015
    Monday, 5. Chelsea (H), 7pm, at Anfield.
    Monday, 12. Sunderland (H), 7pm, at Anfield.
    Monday, 26. Manchester United (A), 7pm, at Leigh Sports Village.

February
    Saturday, 7. Manchester Cty (A), 3pm, at Manchester City Academy.
    Monday, 23. West Ham United (H), 7pm, at Langtree Park.

March
    Monday, 9. Everton (H), 7pm, at Kirkby Academy.
    Monday, 16. Southampton (A), 2.30pm, at Staplewood training ground.

April
    Monday, 6. Fulham (H), 7pm, at Langtree Park.
    Monday, 13. Leicester City (A), 7pm, at King Power Stadium.
    Friday, 17. Tottenham Hotspur (A), 7pm, at White Hart Lane.

May
    Monday, 4. Leicester City (H), 7pm, at Kirkby Academy.
    Monday, 11. Norwich City (H), 7pm, at Langtree Park.
    Friday, 15. Chelsea (A), 7pm, at Stamford Bridge.

England U17s thumped 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

skywalker wrote: »
    The lads look to be having a good time on the tour.

Bt4mZeCIQAEkGvx.jpg:large

hey home boys!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Lads who else do we play in this Guinness tournament thing in the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Kess73 wrote: »
    Only ever played Bass. Guys like Frankie Bello, and Joey Vera were/are my bass inspirations on the rock/metal front, and got really into guys like Charles Mingus, Fred Baker, Jaco Pastorius, Art Davis and so on as the years went by and my own tastes grew.

Some of Marty's recent releases have been pretty good though. You should check out Inferno from a few months back if you liked him on Rust In Peace.

Also if you want to check out some really good gutar work that goes between rock-blues and blues- rock, maybe check out some Philip Sayce or some Lincoln Durham. The former puts the likes of Joe Bonamassa to shame in terms of technical ability imho, and the latter makes some of the finest rootsy sounding noise you could ever wish to hear.

So in an attempt to drag my own post back into soccer related things........ who does everyone want to see us sign next? :D

patrick-bateman.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Augmerson wrote: »
    Lads who else do we play in this Guinness tournament thing in the US?

AC Milan Saturday, could tear them apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

KingJamsie wrote: »
    AC Milan Saturday, could tear them apart!

Watch us lose on peno's.

A point well earned in my books

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Watch us lose on peno's.

A point well earned in my books

Would the club want us to qualify for the final as it could disrupt The Rodgers plans for the rest of pre-season? Maybe the club have already planned for either scenario, I'm sure they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I say they go for it now a get into the habbit of winning trophies even pre-season ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

TheTownie wrote: »
    Too much misinformation in this post to let it slide.
    • Utd annual interest repayments ~£20M.
    • 12/13 FY, Utd spent £71M on interest and bond buybacks. Not an annual occurrence.
    • The Glazers are selling 5% of their shares. They still will have over 80% ownership. The Glazers will pocket the money and most likely split it equally between each other.
    • Utd's wage to turnover ratio has traditionally been very healthy compared to other clubs. I don't know the current ratio off the top of my head but with the growth in revenue being so strong, Utd can easily offer the big wages necessary for top talent.
    • Even if Utd took a 30% hit on the kit deal, they're still receiving more money per year than the previous kit deal. Not a bad problem to have tbh.

No doubt CL football is a priority this season because it will help maximise revenue streams but Utd operating below par on the pitch does not change the fact they generate massive amounts of money off it (relative to other football clubs) and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Can you post any sort of credible link to any of that?, im just curious.

Its just that last summer im 100% positive i read on Reuters or some other website that United paid £46m in year to date interest for 9 months, thats just over £5m a month. Then United announced they had shaved 10m a year off of this interest per year. By my maths thats 2 months interest off the previous annual.

Perhaps im missing something here.

Edit........nevermind. Got it myself, hadnt read up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I say they go for it now a get into the habbit of winning trophies even pre-season ones.

Exactly, we need that winning mentality heading into a big season. Also, a cup final against Man United is FAR too good an opportunity to waste. Good luck calling that a "friendly", I imagine the stretcher will be out more than once, hopefully on Johnson with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

martyos121 wrote: »
    Exactly, we need that winning mentality heading into a big season. Also, a cup final against Man United is FAR too good an opportunity to waste. Good luck calling that a "friendly", I imagine the stretcher will be out more than once, hopefully on Johnson with a bit of luck.

if the stretcher comes out then the players are fcuking idiots imo. Id rather Redknapp signs Johnson than him getting injured. As a player he needs replacing but i wouldn't wish injury on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

if the stretcher comes out then the players are fcuking idiots imo. Id rather Redknapp signs Johnson than him getting injured. As a player he needs replacing but i wouldn't wish injury on him.

Yup. Wishing injury on your own player is bad shît.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

:eek: Please please please please tell me you are ITK ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

brevity wrote: »

Doesn't really tell us anything we dont know. All it highlights is ...it's been too long since we heard that music on Tuesday and Wednesday nights

Alright, that might've been going a bit too far, but Rodgers has made it absolutely clear in pre-season that Johnson is his favoured option at RB, when he's just a massive liability. We really need him gone at this stage, hopefully 'Arry will shell out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Diego Lopez most likely leaving Madrid. He is a GK I think we should target. Wouldn't be on huge wages either. Would be huge competition for Mignolet who I am think has his flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

on that rational won't barcelona be weakened by the arrival of suarez?

Doesn't really tell us anything we dont know. All it highlights is ...it's been too long since we heard that music on Tuesday and Wednesday nights

And it could be a while again should we not sign some experienced players...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

MD1990 wrote: »
    Diego Lopez most likely leaving Madrid. He is a GK I think we should target. Wouldn't be on huge wages either. Would be huge competition for Mignolet who I am think has his flaws.

Good shout. Might they be interested in Reina I wonder or are Navas & Casillas going to duke it out for the No. 1 jersey? Plus I suppose he has more allegience to the other side of Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

And it could be a while again should we not sign some experienced players...

?? We got to it with a group of inexperienced players. Even Suarez had limited CL experience.

If anything we have a young squad who will be determined to improve on last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm getting sick of reading the Moreno link, just buy the fecker already and move on!! :o

Rumours swirling around again that we could be back in for Konoplyanka, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

The only reason the move failed to materialise in January was because of payment issues. Dnipro wanted £16 million cash upfront, but we couldn't afford it, and they rejected our follow up offer of paying for him in Southampton vouchers.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

?? We got to it with a group of inexperienced players. Even Suarez had limited CL experience.

If anything we have a young squad who will be determined to improve on last season.

Hell, we won it with a squad with limited CL experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm glad other fans are writing us off from getting top 4 again and making progress in the CL.

No pressure, just go out and play the game as we did last season. Everyone is focussing on how we won't be the same without Suarez.

Id say Rodgers can't wait for the season to start so he can show the world that at Liverpool it's now about the team, not one player.

I've no problem with having a young squad, buying young players and improving them...but we cannot go into the Champions League without having players that have experience of playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Would be really happy if we went for konoplyanka again, impressed me anytime I have seen him. Could definitely be a first xi player.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Where are we going to play Vidal? Or will we just use him as an impact sub late in games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

martyos121 wrote: »
    Rumours swirling around again that we could be back in for Konoplyanka, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

The only reason the move failed to materialise in January was because of payment issues. Dnipro wanted £16 million cash upfront, but we couldn't afford it, and they rejected our follow up offer of paying for him in Southampton vouchers.

Who in the club will have the Kahuna's to fly to the Ukraine? It may be safer for Ayre to go over land on his bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Where are we going to play Vidal? Or will we just use him as an impact sub late in games?

Perhaps in the hole behind Reus? :p
    He will inter-change with Gerrard I imagine, lot of games to get through and Vidal is well capable. Full retard time here if we signed him, it goes without saying

garra wrote: »
    Perhaps in the hole behind Reus? :p
    He will inter-change with Gerrard I imagine, lot of games to get through and Vidal is well capable. Full retard time here if we signed him, it goes without saying

Ara now, I can't see some random buck from Chile coming in and taking game time off our main man, Lucas Leiva. Has he ever even played in the PL? Nope, that gives Lucas the edge.

I know this goes against everything that I've mentioned in the last hour or so but this Martin Odegaard (just spotted the name on twitter) is creating a bit of buzz...he's expensive, but he's also a Liverpool fan...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2711812/Martin-Odegaard-The-15-year-old-teen-sensation-Norway-eyed-Real-Madrid-12million.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

patrick-bateman.jpg

Ignore the plastic on the floor and sit here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Looks like we're getting two lovely new fullbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like manquillo and moreno are on, happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fescue wrote: »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-closing-double-swoop-7546066

In the Echo and all. Off I go to youtube....

PLEASE GOD LET THIS BE TRUE

cristiano-ronaldo-621-praying-to-god-during-a-soccer-match-in-2013.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

DaveSuarez wrote: »

Left back of course, frees up Reuss for the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dont think he'd fit into the philosophy BR is trying to produce, anyways we have Sterling and I-be.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »

exc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Isn't Kono out of contract in the next 6-12 months? Over 10 million is a lot of money to spend if that's the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't want to deal with them after the way they screwed us in January anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

If we get those two across the line and bring in a forward, I guess that will be it for this summer. I have a feeling the identity of the forward will be important for a lot of people, those who talk about a big name signing.

For me, it's been good work all round this summer at the club as it stands. Well played.

A quite ludicrous article in the Mirror - Dortmund to sell Hummels to Manchester Utd for 20m but only if BvB can get Tiago Ilori on loan!

I'm not linking it as it'll only generate a few hits it doesn't deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Great news if true.

After that we need a Gerrard replacement and a striker.

If we were to get all of that I'd actually be really confident regarding this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If Manquillo arrives with one of his legs in his suitcase he'd still be an improvement on Glen Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The young talent (under 24) we have is amazing & hopefully get Moreno & Manquillo
    Ibe 18
    Sterling 19
    Origi 19
    Markovic 20
    Can 20
    Manquillo 20
    Suso 20
    Moreno 21
    Flanno 21
    Ilori 21
    Coutinho 22
    Hendo 24
    Sturridge 24
    Sakho 24
    Allen 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

MD1990 wrote: »
    The young talent (under 24) we have is amazing & hopefully get Moreno & Manquillo
    Ibe 18
    Sterling 19
    Origi 19
    Markovic 20
    Can 20
    Manquillo 20
    Suso 20
    Moreno 21
    Flanno 21
    Ilori 21
    Coutinho 22
    Hendo 24
    Sturridge 24
    Sakho 24
    Allen 24

You included ilori, but not Coates. Not having a go or anything, but there seems to be a Pacheco size hard on for ilori on here the last few weeks that I just don't understand. The lad has actually done nothing in a red jersey yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Could do with Alan Hansen coming out with his You'll never win anything with kids remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Hopefully moreno will get sorted out but why are we signing manquillo who has little or no first team experience and zero Pl experience. Can't see him featuring much to be honest.

We have spent a huge amount of money to date, almost the 2nd or 3rd highest in Europe and still no where near replacing the gaping void left by suarez. In the past when we lost great strikers we always managed to unearth another gem but we need to seriously bring some proper signing up front or in midfield. We need to spent the rest on quality not quantity

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement