Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

marno21 wrote: »
    Barrett reporting on Twitter than Agger is on his way back to Brondby
    This has to be the most bizarre transfer of the entire window. I know it's his club, but there's no reason why he needs to move there at this age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Letting Agger go for £3m :eek: and paying him off to leave as well :eek::eek:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-daniel-agger-looks-7692767

and we still don't have a centre half capable of keeping a clean sheet :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good to see the club letting a loyal player through the years like agger get the move he wants even if it leaves us receiving significantly less than what he's worth. Man will i miss him, my favourite centre half since hyypia left.

mosstin wrote: »
    The Chelsea medical is much less stringent. It involves frantically waving a plastic flag whilst wearing one of those foam fingers.
    Maybe Remy failed the leaning test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Remember last summer when people were saying 20 million for Agger to City was a realist price?

Football....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-daniel-agger-looks-7692767

Liverpool rejected an offer of £20million from Manchester City for Agger in 2012 and £15million from Barcelona 12 months ago.

:o:o:o

Knex. wrote: »
    Here's hoping we don't regret it. Chelsea do need another striker, though, especially with Costa injured.

Remy who ? :D
    Remy would have seen lots of pitch time with Liverpool, I'm happier to see Mario in his place. He'd play a bitpart at Chelsea.

Over the 8 years service he gave the club it's probably palatable if he's insisting on going nowhere else, appalling lack of ambition on his part though unless there are personal reasons for heading home now.

I can see Bondby being gazumped here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Agger is different than your average player not motivated by money. Wish him all the best been a great servant for LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

BMJD wrote: »
    LOL gotta be a joke, right?

wasn't a dodgy heart one of the rumoured reasons why Remy failed the medical, if indeed he actually did fail it?

You don't need a heart to join Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MD1990 wrote: »
    Agger is different than your average player not motivated by money. Wish him all the best been a great servant for LFC.

He wants to be paid off his last 2 years of his contract before leaving. I think that is motivated by money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Bit of a **** up financially selling Agger for such a low fee. Good luck to him, good servant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Would have thought he'd get 10m at least. I mean Jesus, Luiz went for 50m!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

He wants to be paid off his last 2 years of his contract before leaving. I think that is motivated by money.

The club won't be that naive in fairness as much as we think Ayre is incapable.

Theres no way the club would be accepting such a low bid unless the player agreed to forgo a fair bit financially himself.

Paying him off the last 2 years of his contract and letting him go for £3m there is more to this story than meets the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The £20million signing of Dejan Lovren last month knocked him further down the pecking order and the frustrated 29-year-old signalled his intention to move on.

He has been linked with Atletico Madrid and Napoli but Agger informed Liverpool he had no interest in playing for anyone else other than Brondby in his homeland.

The transfer has been complicated by the fact that Brondby aren't in a position to pay anywhere near the market value for Denmark's captain.

is the important bit, I guess at some point he was going to go back home its just happened about 5/6 years sooner than expected. Sure the pay off is an expense but so is keeping on a player at about 70k a week who may not start a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He deserves it imo. He will be on a huge drop at Brondby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Will miss Agger, he had a deep affinity for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Stupid move letting Agger go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Doubt that, hes always been a bit of a different kettle of fish. Think its nice the way he wants to go back to Brondby but its waaaay too soon.

Can do a job for someone at a very high level.

Doubt that, hes always been a bit of a different kettle of fish. Think its nice the way he wants to go back to Brondby but its waaaay too soon.

Can do a job for someone at a very high level.

Well thats what the echo is reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

is the important bit, I guess at some point he was going to go back home its just happened about 5/6 years sooner than expected. Sure the pay off is an expense but so is keeping on a player at about 70k a week who may not start a game.

£120k/week according to that Echo article. Will probably be closer to half of that over the rest of his contract in a payoff.

Is it not customary for players who don't hand in transfer requests to get a portion of their remaining contract paid off.? I remember being fairly outraged when i heard caroll apparently got a pay off when he left iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Would have thought he'd get 10m at least. I mean Jesus, Luiz went for 50m!

Agger simply doesn't have good hair like Luiz.

Its clear that Rodgers prefers players with great hair or potentially great hair.

If Agger was going to have great hair, it would have shown itself before now.

At least the move is perm-anent, i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Stupid move letting Agger go

Why? What meaningful contribution will he make or has he made in the last 18 months. He has gone into terminal decline like Reina did.

Not to mention he is on 120k a week. I was against him been sold to man city at the time but we should of drove him to Barcelona.

rob316 wrote: »
    Why? What meaningful contribution will he make or has he made in the last 18 months. He has gone into terminal decline like Reina did.

Not to mention he is on 120k a week. I was against him been sold to man city at the time but we should of drove him to Barcelona.

We only kept 10 clean sheets last season and Agger started for 8 of them, the best record of any of our defenders last season, the season before he played in 15 of our 16 or so clean sheets.

Every defensive partnership that hasn't included Agger has leaked far more goals than than when he plays

Is anyone shocked or even mildly surprised other than regarding his destination?

I think we all figured he was off somewhere.

Skrtel/Lovren/Sakho/Coates/(Toure for training purposes) and Lloyd Jones this season as I imagine Coates will stay now. Next summer Ilori back and Toure off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MD1990 wrote: »
    He deserves it imo. He will be on a huge drop at Brondby.

How is his decision Liverpools problem? If he wants to go to a club that can only pay significantly less than hes on that's his choice . Its not a bloody charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

At the end of the day Liverpool is a business so there must be something else involved with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Brondby are strapped for cash as well, they can barely raise 3m, apparently the owner is stumping up the funds
    Great servant to the club and loyal to a fault, but injury prone , I wish him the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

redzerdrog wrote: »
    We only kept 10 clean sheets last season and Agger started for 8 of them, the best record of any of our defenders last season, the season before he played in 15 of our 16 or so clean sheets.

Every defensive partnership that hasn't included Agger has leaked far more goals than than when he plays

Would be interesting to see who those clean sheets were against last season.

I just don't think he has been good enough and dare I say overrated imo. I like Agger I like his style and his commitment but due to injuries he hasn't been able to get a consistent run in the side. He just can't be depended on.

His body is knackered I'd imagine which is why he is eager to go home to a lesser league which will help him extend his career.

Brondby are strapped for cash as well, they can barely raise 3m, apparently the owner is stumping up the funds
    Great servant to the club and loyal to a fault, but injury prone , I wish him the best

I thought they had a sugar daddy who was underwriting Aggers return.

rob316 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see who those clean sheets were against last season.

I just don't think he has been good enough and dare I say overrated imo. I like Agger I like his style and his commitment but due to injuries he hasn't been able to get a consistent run in the side. He just can't be depended on.

His body is knackered I'd imagine which is why he is eager to go home to a lesser league which will help him extend his career.

to be honest i dont think it matters who they were against as we have been leaking goals against every tom dick harry.

He was a very gifted player who showed huge commitment to the club and tbh Im slightly saddened to see some of the reaction on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

With Agger's move being imminent, who would you guys like to see be given Vice-Captain? Personally I'd like to see Hendo be given it. Passion and always shows 100% commitment when on the pitch. Amazing how's he's turned around so fast as a player.

With Agger's move being imminent, who would you guys like to see be given Vice-Captain? Personally I'd like to see Hendo be given it. Passion and always shows 100% commitment when on the pitch. Amazing how's he's turned around so fast as a player.

Bet its Skrtel or, wait for it... Glen Johnson.

Assuming Lucas is going to be sold, that is.

• Advertisement

Id go for Henderson. The lad just seems to be growing and growing and this would give him a huge boost

Give it to Reus

Johnson wont get it as hes in the last year of his contract and hes sh!te anyways so hopefully he wont be playing much, think it will be between skrtel and hendo, wouldnt be mad on skrtel getting it tbh, hendo i think fits best. Could throw a curveball and give it to lovren or sakho perhaps? In the short term it will be fairly meaningless as gerrard will play the majority of games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Paying him off the last 2 years of his contract and letting him go for £3m there is more to this story than meets the eye.

I wonder have the club decided that he is too injury prone to keep on the books so they are letting him go ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Coates or Toure should be the ones to get the chop over Agger.

Paying off his contract and letting him leave for such a pittance just doesn't seem logical.

If he was 33, you'd understand it, but at 29 he's still got plenty to offer.

Will be very sad to see him go.

• Advertisement

I don't think people will ever be happy.

All we heard last year was that the defence was sh!t, the defence was sh!t, the defence was sh!t.

Rodgers has went out, and actually bought a brand new defence (Lovren, Moreno, Sakho, Manquillo) and now people are actually complaining because we're moving an old defender on?! May I remind everyone that we have 8 central defenders on our books who would all expect to start at some level in the Premier League? This isn't bloody Pokemon, when you bring players in, you have to make room by moving others out.

daRobot wrote: »

Paying off his contract and letting him leave for such a pittance just doesn't seem logical.

If he was 33, you'd understand it, but at 29 he's still got plenty to offer.

Will be very sad to see him go.

Could also look at it like we paid 6 mill for him and got 8 years of service out if him and was a model pro. He is out of favour and wants to return to denmark, id be sick of we ended up forcing him to some club he doesn't want to go to.

daRobot wrote: »
    It doesn't work that way. You simply cannot have four player in Agger, Skrtel, Sakho and Lovren in a squad. You can just about managed to rotate between 3 very good central defenders, but if you throw the likes of Agger into the mix, then someone will end up practically having no game time. Sakho and Lovren weren't signed to start 4-5 games a season. We know Skrtel will not tolerate starting 4-5 games a season.

Just about every other top team has the same system. They have 3 good central defenders, and then usually a veteran who is happy to be rotated and some kids to provide cover. It's an impossibility to keep Agger happy with the current options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Augmerson wrote: »
    More in the series: How I imagine OwaynOTT and Kess73

Owayn
    simon-pegg-spaced_200s.gif

Pffft, you can shove that dual analogue controller where the sun don't shone jimmy boy. Now if it was a Snes or a GameCube controller, I might agree.
    For Owayne, not enough acid.

That kid is nuts.

Don't spell it with an E ya sap. Also I'm off the painkillers.

Agger leaving in these circumstances makes sense in the context of this article.
    http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/chris.deeley/1155356/tears-flow-as-daniel-agger-begs-to-leave-liverpool

The Mirror have reported that Daniel Agger had a tearful conversation with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, in which he asked for his boss to let him leave Anfield.

The 29-year-old vice-captain is said to have had the conversation with Rodgers in the dressing room during the side's pre-season tour.
    It's said that Rodgers was understanding of Agger's plight, before the Danish national captain broke down in tears and was comforted by his team-mates.

He then asked to be allowed to fly home from the tour, which Rodgers agreed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It does seem something else is at play, I'd have to guess injuries. Would have thought Napoli or somebody else would be interested.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Pffft, you can shove that dual analogue controller where the sun don't shone jimmy boy. Now if it was a Snes or a GameCube controller, I might agree.

Don't spell it with an E ya sap. Also I'm off the painkillers.

Was on my phone, it loves that way of spelling it, and who am I to argue with it?

Painkillers. Fun times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

K-9 wrote: »
    It does seem something else is at play, I'd have to guess injuries. Would have thought Napoli or somebody else would be interested.

He must be banjaxed.

He could've gone to two dozen more high profile clubs across Europe and then gone to Brondby 2 or 3 years from now.

There must be a reason he's struggled to stay fit all these years. So much needs to go right for a footballer to succeed at the highest level. It's always felt like a struggle with Agger.

It's good to see that he and the club could come to an agreement.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

mosstin wrote: »
    The Chelsea medical is much less stringent. It involves frantically waving a plastic flag whilst wearing one of those foam fingers.

That might be it but if it's Eva Carneiro dancing in front of you and you don't have heart problems, surely that's a fail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Agger leaving in these circumstances makes sense in the context of this article.

Agger: "I'm so upset, please let me leave and join my preferred club for a fraction of what was offered last year "

Rogers: " ok Daniel, this is clearly the best course of action"

Agger: " oh one more thing, even though I want to go and on my terms, I want a hefty chunk of my contract in cash too"

Piss off.

What's the bets he ends up moving on from brondby in January to a decent club for a decent profit to the Danes. Surely they/he wouldn't pull a stunt like that?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement