Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Jamie Carragher: Luis Suarez 'bullied' Daniel Sturridge at times last season for Liverpool

Weird
    Jamie Carragher has backed underrated Daniel Sturridge to step out from Luis Suarez's shadow.

Suarez's blockbuster move to Barcelona has threatened to leave Liverpool short up front, with Loic Remy's collapsed transfer leaving one out-and-out centre-forward on the club's books.

And Liverpool legend Carragher reckons this season will be time to shine for the under-appreciated Sturridge, even claiming that the Engand man was "bullied" at times by his former strike partner:

“I don’t think he gets enough credit, I’ve mentioned it before," he said.

“He’s not Suarez, we know that. I remember times last season when I was in the Main Stand. In the Everton game he and Suarez were going hammer and tongs at each other, they were still arguing at the halfway line and the manager brought Sturridge off.

"I’d have done the other one.

“I felt at times that Suarez bullied him a little bit. I know with strikers there’s sometimes a little bit of a jealousy thing there, if someone’s scoring.

“I felt for him at times. I think he got the rough end of the stick at times with him and Suarez.

“I’m not saying they never got on, but they both wanted to be the main man scoring. Now there’s no doubt he’s the man."

With 21 goals in 26 league starts last season, Sturridge dazzled in his first full season on Merseyside, and Carragher reckons the 24-year-old has everything in his armory to become one of the best forwards on the continent.

He added: “Look at his record: I think I’m right in saying he’s got more goals after 50 games than any Liverpool player ever. If you look at the strikers Liverpool have had that’s an unbelievable achievement… He could be the best striker in the league.”

“Think of the ability he’s got to get goals: He’s got class, he’s got pace, he scores all sorts of different goals, he’s cool when he’s going through on goal, he’s England’s main striker now and he could be one of the best in Europe.”

Jamie Carragher was talking exclusively to the Anfield Wrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

tibor wrote: »
    Surely the transfer committee have better backup striking options than Jay Rodriguez?
    Someone like Firmino would be more flexible while still providing the goal threat?

Are we really going to pay Southamption > £50m in a single transfer window??
    The owners only paid £14m for the whole club 5 years ago!
    The owners poured multiples of that into that club to get it where it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

Jamie Carragher: Luis Suarez 'bullied' Daniel Sturridge at times last season for Liverpool

Weird

Don't agree with Carragher there. Sure, there were occasions when Sturridge got a good bollocking from Suarez, but a lot of the time it was deserved. Sturridge can be a bit greedy and myopic at times.

The owners poured multiples of that into that club to get it where it is now.

That 14m thing is a serious red herring thats being bandied about
    You could probably buy leeds united for £1 yet they just sold a player for £11m
    No mention of debt levels, cost to improve squad etc etc

Atletico's squad cost less than what Chelsea paid for Torres. Hasnt stopped people throwing money at them to try get their players though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

MarkY91 wrote: »
    25 goals in 48 games...absolute SHOCKING stats from him :rolleyes:

"But what if he's a one-season wonder?"

53 in 73 for Vitesse, 30 goals in 75 at Sparta Prague before that. He's a decent option. The only problem I would have is he doesn't have the guile or trickery that Suarez brought to the team. But very few players do. He won't be a like-for-like swap, so a partnership with Sturridge may not flourish in the same way, but he gets goals and plenty of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tony Barrett saying Rodgers wants 2 full-backs and another forward before the window closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Spurs going in for a double swoop off Southampton for Rodriguez and Schneiderlin.

Seems like Rodriguez might not be on the market for much longer. Bony looking more and more likely with every transfer......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Daniel has a phenomenal goal scoring record with us and I have no doubt he could be our main man, its just his fitness worries me. Suarez could be depended on week in week out (when he wasn't banned).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Spurs going in for a double swoop off Southampton for Rodriguez and Schneiderlin.

Jaysus Southampton will be giving Blackpool a run for there money on who has the smallest squad soon.

• Advertisement

Liverpool v Southampton first game of the season
    Really couldnt be a better time to play them all told

Very sad whats happening at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say Katharina Liebherr is taking the money and running.

I can see Southampton being put up for sale sooner rather than later.

They have lost her father who had the love for Southampton not her.
    They have lost Nicola Cortese the man who did amazing things to get the club back up on its feet after administration.
    They lost there Manager and now have lost 5 players with probably 3 more leaving bringing in over £100m.

Sad to see but shows how much money can be made in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I hope Barrett is right in what hes reporting. I honestly believe some guys in here have rose tinted specs on when it comes to Liverpool.

Im not one to go for knee jerk reactions (hell I defended Hodgson for a time), but seriously anyone that thinks we don't need to add to Sturridge, Lambert and Borini are kidding themselves.

I feel people are really underestimating just how big of a loss Suarez is. Not only his goals, his assists, his ability to keep defenders distracted freeing up space for the likes of Sterling and Sturridge, his aggressiveness and will to win. He is an astronomical loss.

If you look at the squad, an injury to Sturridge, a drop in form (no one there to compete against him) we are in serious trouble and definitely a side that does not resemble a team going for the Premier League.

Borini and Lambert are sound players to have on the bench, but could you imagine having to rely on those two over the course of 5/6/7 fixtures?

Bony at 20 million definitely isnt the answer. Hes a good finisher but does not fit our style at all and to be honest I am not sure who does. I loved the idea of Remy coming in but thats done and dusted. The only two that realistically come to mind now are Lacazette and Martinez.

Its times like this you would miss Nuri around these parts to throw up a good list. :(

As far as Full backs go, anyone that watched the match last night will see that Johnson is still awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ardent wrote: »
    Don't agree with Carragher there. Sure, there were occasions when Sturridge got a good bollocking from Suarez, but a lot of the time it was deserved. Sturridge can be a bit greedy and myopic at times.

How can any of us possibly have an opinion, without being involved with the squad on a daily basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Knex. wrote: »
    How can any of us possibly have an opinion, without being involved with the squad on a daily basis?

I would say all of us!
    Is that the right answer?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

We're being linked with Vermaelen now

Do we need another centre back? Or is this maybe a pre-cursor to Agger's departure? Or just paper sh1te :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    I hope Barrett is right in what hes reporting. I honestly believe some guys in here have rose tinted specs on when it comes to Liverpool.

Im not one to go for knee jerk reactions (hell I defended Hodgson for a time), but seriously anyone that thinks we don't need to add to Sturridge, Lambert and Borini are kidding themselves.

I feel people are really underestimating just how big of a loss Suarez is. Not only his goals, his assists, his ability to keep defenders distracted freeing up space for the likes of Sterling and Sturridge, his aggressiveness and will to win. He is an astronomical loss.

If you look at the squad, an injury to Sturridge, a drop in form (no one there to compete against him) we are in serious trouble and definitely a side that does not resemble a team going for the Premier League.

Borini and Lambert are sound players to have on the bench, but could you imagine having to rely on those two over the course of 5/6/7 fixtures?

Bony at 20 million definitely isnt the answer. Hes a good finisher but does not fit our style at all and to be honest I am not sure who does. I loved the idea of Remy coming in but thats done and dusted. The only two that realistically come to mind now are Lacazette and Martinez.

Its times like this you would miss Nuri around these parts to throw up a good list. :(

As far as Full backs go, anyone that watched the match last night will see that Johnson is still awful.

A list you say, here are the main players we have been linked to in that position on twitter.

Lacazette
    Vela
    Bony
    Shaqiri
    Heung-Min Son
    Volland
    Aubameyang
    El Shaarawy
    Muniain
    Ljajic
    Muriel
    Dos Santos
    Icardi
    Ferreyra

Also not sure why you think anyone would be happy with the 3 strikers you have mentioned. Everyone on here and BR have all said we need a third striker who has quality. Borini wont be at the club in a month and we will have a 3rd quality option instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

x43r0 wrote: »
    We're being linked with Vermaelen now

Do we need another centre back? Or is this maybe a pre-cursor to Agger's departure? Or just paper sh1te :rolleyes:

I'd far prefer to keep Agger, than splash out on him.

Makes zero sense.

And 12m? Feck that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would it not be a good idea to wait until the transfer window closes until passing judgement.

A deal has just fallen through and no doubt another one will be lined up.

Sometimes it's just best to wait and see.

People on Twitter are hilarious at times

10469437_608643075901330_3746982065897953063_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We should try & get Clyne now to replace Johnson. Here is a list of players who I think we could realistically target

- Aubameyang
    - Bony - Wouldn't want him though
    - Bacca
    - El Shaarawy
    - Balotelli - Mental problems
    - Lacazette
    - Vela
    - Firminio
    - Yilmaz

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Would it not be a good idea to wait until the transfer window closes until passing judgement.

A deal has just fallen through and no doubt another one will be lined up.

Sometimes it's just best to wait and see.

It wouldnt be much of a discussion forum if we all just followed the "wait and see" line. :D

Secondly, its not very progressive if you take a wait and see stance on these type of things. Imagine if we decided to "wait and see" on Suarez and someone came in and signed him at the time?

Of course Im speaking as if we dont bring in someone or sign the likes of Bony. Sure for all we know we could go out and sign Reus tomorrow.

We are signing Reus tomorrow. #Believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd far prefer to keep Agger, than splash out on him.

Makes zero sense.

And 12m? Feck that!

I think you'll find it'll be €12,000,001 for LFC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd say Katharina Liebherr is taking the money and running.

How easy is that though. Could she personally pocket the money raised from these sales easily?

It wouldnt be much of a discussion forum if we all just followed the "wait and see" line. :D

Secondly, its not very progressive if you take a wait and see stance on these type of things. Imagine if we decided to "wait and see" on Suarez and someone came in and signed him at the time?

Of course Im speaking as if we dont bring in someone or sign the likes of Bony. Sure for all we know we could go out and sign Reus tomorrow.

We are signing Reus tomorrow. #Believe

A united squad that finished 7 last year have signed 2 players despite losing most of their defence
    We finished second and have signed 5 players and are likely to sign 3 more.
    Im more than happy with how the window is going so (ignoring the giant elephant in the room that was the Suarez sale)

A list you say, here are the main players we have been linked to in that position on twitter.

Lacazette
    Vela
    Bony
    Shaqiri
    Heung-Min Son
    Volland
    Aubameyang
    El Shaarawy
    Muniain
    Ljajic
    Muriel
    Dos Santos
    Icardi
    Ferreyra

Also not sure why you think anyone would be happy with the 3 strikers you have mentioned. Everyone on here and BR have all said we need a third striker who has quality. Borini wont be at the club in a month and we will have a 3rd quality option instead

Thats not true. I have seen plenty of people saying they would be happy with what we have.

Regards your list, Id love to know how many of those you have seen play? Me personally I have seen most of them play once or twice, some not at all so its hard to accurately judge.

A problem with that list though is Dos Santos, Muniain, Ljajic (afaik) and Shaqiri don't play as a striker.

A united squad that finished 7 last year have signed 2 players despite losing most of their defence
    We finished second and have signed 5 players and are likely to sign 3 more.
    Im more than happy with how the window is going so (ignoring the giant elephant in the room that was the Suarez sale)

Pretty big factor you are ignoring there.

Just out of curosity why are people so set against Bony?
    For me he is
    Quick
    Powerful
    Can play as a lone striker well
    Solid link up play, he had 87% passing stats in the WC
    Swansea play a similiar system to us
    He has a brilliant goal scoring record and had a good world cup after a fantastic season for Swansea.
    He scores a lot from outside the box

Given the money flying around the premiership im not sure how spending £20m on a very predictable talent is so horrifying to so many people.

How easy is that though. Could she personally pocket the money raised from these sales easily?

I'm sure it would be easy enough if she owns the club outright whatever money is brought in can be used whatever way the owner wants.

If that's to pay off club debt or to go in her bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MD1990 wrote: »
    We should try & get Clyne now to replace Johnson. Here is a list of players who I think we could realistically target

- Aubameyang
    - Bony - Wouldn't want him though
    - Bacca
    - El Shaarawy
    - Balotelli - Mental problems
    - Lacazette
    - Vela
    - Firminio
    - Yilmaz

A blast from the past there! Lacazette and Firmino are the two names that scream out for me along with Muriel (as mentioned above) but he has stated he wants to stay with Udinese.

Just out of curosity why are people so set against Bony?
    For me he is
    Quick
    Powerful
    Can play as a lone striker well
    Solid link up play, he had 87% passing stats in the WC
    Swansea play a similiar system to us
    He has a brilliant goal scoring record and had a good world cup after a fantastic season for Swansea.
    He scores a lot from outside the box

Given the money flying around the premiership im not sure how spending £20m on a very predictable talent is so horrifying to so many people.

I think the same people who are against Bony were probably against Sturridge signing too.

• Advertisement

Thats not true. I have seen plenty of people saying they would be happy with what we have.

Regards your list, Id love to know how many of those you have seen play? Me personally I have seen most of them play once or twice, some not at all so its hard to accurately judge.

A problem with that list though is Dos Santos, Muniain, Ljajic (afaik) and Shaqiri don't play as a striker.

Ah you asked me for a list of attackers we were linked to and I provided one.
    Now you are asking me if I have seen them play?

Plenty of people, myself included, would have been happy with our attacking options had Remy signed. He hasnt so to use the now immortal Stevie phrase "we go again"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

We should just go the whole way and sign Ronald Koeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think the same people who are against Bony were probably against Sturridge signing too.

How could you possibly know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

DrumSteve wrote: »
    We should just go the whole way and sign Ronald Koeman.

His free kicks aint what they used to be.

Konoplyanka & Yarmolenko or 1 top Striker.

Rodriguez & Shaqiri

Clyne & a Keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sweeping generalisations.....don't ya know they are always correct!

T-K-O wrote: »

They werent half bad though to be honest

Class is permanent.

They werent half bad though to be honest

That link is bad but I agree anyway.

Edit, it's working, I definitely agree.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Class is permanent.

What are you? Head of the QPR transfer committee?

Well I could look up old posts.

The point is that people here are expecting a big name marquee signing and just dissing all other possibilities.

Players like Bony could be perfect for Liverpool and ready to make the next step up.

People though want a Benzema, di Maria etc and ignore issues like wages and how the team will play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Origi deal is done since Saturday according to Sven Claes, Belgian football journo and opportunely Origis father

https://twitter.com/svenclaes/status/493678653440786432

https://twitter.com/svenclaes/status/493078079888424960

https://twitter.com/svenclaes/status/493078049874010112

Well you have definitely just pulled that from your arse! :D You really love assuming things.

Anyways my reasoning for not wanting Bony is mainly down to his pace. He is a great finisher and good in the air, but he is one slow slow man. Painstakingly slow anytime I have seen him. In my mind he just doesnt fit in with what Rodgers has built this team into, an aggressive, high pressing, fast team that can counter attack at will.

Bony at 20 million would look like a square peg being put in a round hole. We have Lambert to play that type of role for us.

Another issue I would have with Bony is that for any game that Rodgers would want to play a 4-3-3, Bony would either have to sit on the bench or Sturridge would have be pushed out wide.

So much of what makes Liverpool dangerous is that our front three can switch positions with each other. Bony definitely isn't a wide man.

At the end of the day I have every faith in Rodgers doing the right thing so if he believes Bony is right then Ill back him. You would always worry that its another committee signing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

kfallon wrote: »
    Sweeping generalisations.....don't ya know they are always correct!

It's a well known fact that all generalisations are false.....

and that 73.6% of all statistics are made up....

Personally I dont want a superstar signing such as Benzema or Di Maria
    Id take Reus because he is young and hungry but outside of that I want to see us sign players who are hungry and willing to prove themselves like BR has constantly spoken about.
    We dont need to spend £50m on a player

• Advertisement

Ah you asked me for a list of attackers we were linked to and I provided one.
    Now you are asking me if I have seen them play?

Plenty of people, myself included, would have been happy with our attacking options had Remy signed. He hasnt so to use the now immortal Stevie phrase "we go again"

Well Nuri would have seen them play. Youre not Nuri! I HATE YOU!

I dont really hate you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I agree completely on Bony. I want us to buy players to fit the way we are playing. Remy would have suited that - a pacy replacement for Sturridge. Bony wouldn't imo.

We looked absolutely lethal at times on the break last night. 3 pacy frontmen and 2 energetic midfielders (2 from Henderson, Allen, Can and Coutinho) and we are really in the faces of the opposition. Must be a nightmare to play against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

So far we've replaced Suarez with 3 players - Lallana, Markovic and Lambert. Rodgers clearly said he wanted to spread the goals out and give us more depth. We often last year had no options on the bench to change a game and now we can see already we have a load of new options there.

The main concern for me is how Suarez could get a breakthrough goal from nothing. That's the value of a world class player. I'd be abit afraid we'll draw many more matches next year without him. I think everyone would feel more comfortable if we signed one more out and out striker who was an excellent finisher but who fits into our system. Hard to know who that is. I'd sort of like for us to stick with our policy of buy young or forgotten players and give someone a chance. I was impressed with Memphis Depay at WC - would think he could be a good striker for less than £20m. Maybe Pedro would be another option?

For years Liverpool were lacking some flair players especially wingers to score more goals and add pace to the attack, but always had a solid back 4 with good full backs. Appear to be in a reverse situation now where we've an excess of exciting attacking players and need to shore up the defence abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Was looking at it for fantasy football purposes and was surprised that we picked up 20 pts in the 9 league games suarez missed through suspension and Sturridge had 9 goals in those 9 games.

What are you? Head of the QPR transfer committee?

Just take of the first team.... for now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement