Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We have spent a huge amount of money to date, almost the 2nd or 3rd highest in Europe and still no where near replacing the gaping void left by suarez. In the past when we lost great strikers we always managed to unearth another gem but we need to seriously bring some proper signing up front or in midfield. We need to spent the rest on quality not quantity

Maybe that's already happened - Sturridge is the new Owen/Torres with Sterling as the new Gerrard and Markovic as the new "utility" forward who grabs more than a dozen goals in all comps - a pretty Dirk Kuyt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Maybe that's already happened - Sturridge is the new Owen/Torres with Sterling as the new Gerrard and Markovic as the new "utility" forward who grabs more than a dozen goals in all comps - a pretty Dirk Kuyt!

Markovic Markovic, he looks like Cavani but plays like Lago Aspas, Markovic Markovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

You included ilori, but not Coates. Not having a go or anything, but there seems to be a Pacheco size hard on for ilori on here the last few weeks that I just don't understand. The lad has actually done nothing in a red jersey yet.
    Good point but I think there's been a bit more hype around Ilori based on him doing quite well for Grenada against Barca last season - it was pretty much the only game I saw him in, as I'm sure might well be the case for a few others on here, and he looked fairly impressive. At least I thought so. I understand it was a relatively successful loan spell overall - he's learning and CB is a tough place to learn.

I think part of the hype is also due to the fact he was on a Sporting youth team that tore LFC to shreds in the NextGen. Sporting are known for producing young talent - moreso attacking albeit, yet he apparently beat Ronaldo & Nanis speed test scores at the academy so that's got to be worth a little bit of expectation.

There's a decent report on his loan here that's worth a skim over

I think, like a few others here, that he's got potential and hopefully we get to see him realise it in time. Granted the same may have been said for Pacheco, but posters here will feel the same way about Ibe, Sterling, Rossiter, Flanagan and the other youths coming through. It's always nice to see young talent coming through in clubs in the PL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

We have strengthened some positions and got some great depth now for sure. I'm not expecting every signing to be a blockbuster signing but will be gutted if we don't bring in top quality striker in partnership with Sturridge or a top replacement for Gerrard as he edges towards retirement. We won't have this money again to spend any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

viper006 wrote: »
    but why are we signing manquillo who has little or no first team experience and zero Pl experience. Can't see him featuring much to be honest.

kid has made 6 la liga appearances. another luis alberto who had 7 la liga apperances when he joined. have to laugh at people here thinking manquillo will be picked ahead of johnson.
    We have spent a huge amount of money to date, almost the 2nd or 3rd highest in Europe and still no where near replacing the gaping void left by suarez. In the past when we lost great strikers we always managed to unearth another gem but we need to seriously bring some proper signing up front or in midfield. We need to spent the rest on quality not quantity

no matter who the manager liverpool seemed to be obsessed with signing fringe squad players year after year instead of looking for players better than the ones already in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

brevity wrote: »

Knex has me afraid to click on links posted in here, so I will assume that the article talks about how liverpool not being in the champions league last year explained their good form last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

According to danish newspaper Ekstrabladet @DanielAgger is set to move to his former club Brøndby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

According to danish newspaper Ekstrabladet @DanielAgger is set to move to his former club Brøndby

I would be shocked if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That has to be bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Agger still 1/3 to go to Barca. Bronby rumours are complete rubbish I'd say.
    Also, I don't know where this came from, but the odds on Reus joining Liverpool have been shortened again, from 15/8 to 11/8. All from Sky Bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

martyos121 wrote: »
    Also, I don't know where this came from, but the odds on Reus joining Liverpool have been shortened again, from 15/8 to 11/8. All from Sky Bet.

The odds change depending on what people bet on. If I put a million quid on Reus to join Liverpool the odds would be cut right down.

The odds change depending on what people bet on. If I put a million quid on Reus to join Liverpool the odds would be cut right down.

Yeah I'm aware of how they work, but the odds have been slowly shortening on Reus with the last few weeks. Not long ago, he was 12/1, then that became 3/1, and they've been steadily shortening since, so there might be a group of people who are ITK, hope to God there's something to it anyways, no better player we could sign than Reus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Reus would be incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nuri's turning in his grave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

These markets mean nothing. Last I checked, they weren't even offering a price on him staying put.

• Advertisement

These markets mean nothing. Last I checked, they weren't even offering a price on him staying put.

The short odds don't mean he's definitely going or anything, it just basically means that if he goes anywhere, it'll probably be Barca. There is absolutely no value to be found on transfer betting though, unless you make a good call and get in early, like I nearly did on Remy at 10/1. So f**king sickened over that one.

Most places don't offer odds on a player staying anymore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

If Manquillo arrives with one of his legs in his suitcase he'd still be an improvement on Glen Johnson.

The suitcase would be an improvement on Glen Johnson.

Jaysus, even in the team pictures, Johnson is out of position! Look closely...

lmao.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SSN running with the Moreno story too..

Must. not. get. excited

Also, why are we only asking for Manquillo on loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Vicxas wrote: »
    SSN running with the Moreno story too..

Must. not. get. excited

Also, why are we only asking for Manquillo on loan?

Manquillo has very limited experience. So its a 2 year loan with option to buy at 6m I believe and a buyback for Atletico if he progresses as they expect.

• Advertisement

Manquillo has very limited experience. So its a 2 year loan with option to buy at 6m I believe and a buyback for Atletico if he progresses as they expect.

Well thats not too bad actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Problem I see with Manquillo is that he is not being bought as a starting right back. That leaves Johnson as first choice.

Where does this leave Flannagan?

I see left back being Moreno, Enrique.

Right back Johnson, Manquillo.

Flannagan, after the great progress he made last year looks to be third choice full back for both positions which I think is unfair on the lad.

If Manquillo is third choice right back behind Flannagan what's the point of the loan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Problem I see with Manquillo is that he is not being bought as a starting right back. That leaves Johnson as first choice.

Where does this leave Flannagan?

I see left back being Moreno, Enrique.

Right back Johnson, Manquillo.

Flannagan, after the great progress he made last year looks to be third choice full back for both positions which I think is unfair on the lad.

If Manquillo is third choice right back behind Flannagan what's the point of the loan?

Moreno / Enrique at left back.

Flanagan / Manquillo for the right side.

Johnson to West Ham / QPR with any luck.

Johnson to West Ham / QPR with any luck.

Ideally yes but I just don't see it happening.

People keep going on about our lack of CL experience in the squad and Johnson is one of the players who has it.

I see him being kept on.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Ideally yes but I just don't see it happening.

People keep going on about our lack of CL experience in the squad and Johnson is one of the players who has it.

I see him being kept on.

He is the main problem in our first team right now. I hope for our sake he isn't first choice in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Well I for one am delighted with our transfer business so far.
    A decent striker and ill be a happy bunny come Southampton in two weeks
    Leave a pretty full kitty for January for our push for the treble
    Happy days

Cmon BR and sign Martinez please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Liability or not, johnson is still currently our best rb some of the comments here about him are pathetic tbh

Happy days

Would Martinez be gettable?

Happy days

I have to agree with this. I haven't had a chance to post about the signings and Suarez due to an enforced break from the forum but as of right now, I am delighted with how our summer has gone. If Moreno and Manquillo also sign then it will have been the perfect transfer window.

I dont think we'll see a new striker for one reason and one only, Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Could be completely wrong but I'd see it as Flanagan and manquillo is what Rodgers wants, however, with the question marks over how manquillo will do we'll keep Johnson this season.

If all goes to plan and over the next year or two were happy with the progress of manquillo we can get rid of Johnson then and have two fright backs were happy with.

• Advertisement

Could be completely wrong but I'd see it as Flanagan and manquillo is what Rodgers wants, however, with the question marks over how manquillo will do we'll keep Johnson this season.

If all goes to plan and over the next year or two were happy with the progress of manquillo we can get rid of Johnson then and have two fright backs were happy with.

I think his contract could be up next summer, open to correction on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Liability or not, johnson is still currently our best rb some of the comments here about him are pathetic tbh

Flanagan is a more reliable player than him based on last season.

I find the prologed defending of him by some bizarre. His performance in pre season has been a continuation of last season. Absolutely awful

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

With the full backs been Flanno/Enrique/Moreno/Manquillo/Glenjo there is competition for places so none of them are guaranteed starters really. They have to work for their places so it might light a fire under Glenjo's ass.

He offers nothing to the team. He's a defender who can't defend, constantly out of position. As an attacking threat, he is borderline pathetic nowadays, he offers nothing going forward at all.

His best days are very much behind him.

What are peoples thoughts on Etoo as a signing to replace Remy
    Would cost just his wages, would be a 1 year deal and has endless endless experience
    Similiar style as Sturridge and he would obviously be happy not to play every game.
    9 goals in 21 games for a very very defensive Chelsea, a number of them as a sub too

I think it would be a v shrewd bit of business if we did it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Would cost just his wages, would be a 1 year deal and has endless endless experience
    Similiar style as Sturridge and he would obviously be happy not to play every game.
    9 goals in 21 games for a very very defensive Chelsea, a number of them as a sub too

Not a bad shout

His wages would be astronomical I'd say.

On paper I think it would be good but he seems to be a bit mercenary and I can't see him buying into the team spirit that Rodgers is trying to instill.

I don't think Rodgers is afraid of big name players but those players have to have the right attitude for him.

His wages would be astronomical I'd say.

They would indeed be v high, if he scored 15 goals though would it not be worth it ?
    People were happy for us to pay 10m for a Falcao loan deal a few weeks back plus his wages, so Etoo would be substantially less than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

He's really not though, hes easily our weakest starting player by some distance. He is awful.

klose wrote: »
    He's really not though, hes easily our weakest starting player by some distance. He is awful.

Agreed, saw it a lot against City where he could not be arsed to get back after he made a muck pass or made a sh!tty tackle and gave away a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I get why people like Flanagan. He done a good job and done far better than i would have thought. However, we need an upgrade on him. He can do a job as backup.

Realistically Moreno/Enrique leaves us in a good position at LB and Johnson/Flanagan/Manquillo gives us bodies but not real quality at RB. If thats the business done for RB then Johnson will start 90% of games he is fit to play. I dont see the need for Manquillo as Flanagan seems a better fit for RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

They would indeed be v high, if he scored 15 goals though would it not be worth it ?
    People were happy for us to pay 10m for a Falcao loan deal a few weeks back plus his wages, so Etoo would be substantially less than that

People weren't happy to pay 10m for Falcao on loan

On an unrelated topic, who do we think takes the number 7 jersey now that Suarez has left? New signing or a current LFC player?

If our transfer business is finished after signing Moreno, Manquillo and a striker, I'd give it to Sterling without question. What do ye reckon lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No thanks. To get anything out of him, you'd need to be playing him in most games and he's far too inconsistent to be doing that.

• Advertisement

On an unrelated topic, who do we think takes the number 7 jersey now that Suarez has left? New signing or a current LFC player?

If our transfer business is finished after signing Moreno, Manquillo and a striker, I'd give it to Sterling without question. What do ye reckon lads?

Didn't Reus get it?

jonny24ie wrote: »
    With the full backs been Flanno/Enrique/Moreno/Manquillo/Glenjo there is competition for places so none of them are guaranteed starters really. They have to work for their places so it might light a fire under Glenjo's ass.

My only problem with this is we won't have a settled defence which we really need after last season.

I guess we're waiting for our new Striker first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Probably be Bony, rumours we are back in for him.

Gmol wrote: »
    Probably be Bony, rumours we are back in for him.

Even if we signed Bony, he couldn't possibly get it. There's a lot of history behind Liverpool's number 7 shirt, and only a big, marquee signing (Reus) OR a player developed by the club (Sterling) should get it, IMO. The new striker should take number 11.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement