Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

What's the bets he ends up moving on from brondby in January to a decent club for a decent profit to the Danes. Surely they/he wouldn't pull a stunt like that?

I doubt it tbh, he could have that now if he wanted.

It could easily be something along the lines of depression/ill parents that make him want to be closer to home. Can't imagine he's going back to Brondby for the football, unless he's a mad loyal fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Don't spell it with an E ya sap. Also I'm off the painkillers.

Ha! Says the guys who insists on calling me 'Irvine'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mario should be made captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Ha! Says the guys who insists on calling me 'Irvine'!

We'll start calling you 'Eddie' if you're not careful.... Capisce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Agger might have something personal going on and that's why he only wanted to move back home.

I'll always have a soft spot for the guy, a man who stayed loyal through the worst of times i.e. Woy when he could have gone anywhere he wanted.

Anyone happy to see him go is a clown tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I doubt it tbh, he could have that now if he wanted.

It could easily be something along the lines of depression/ill parents that make him want to be closer to home. Can't imagine he's going back to Brondby for the football, unless he's a mad loyal fecker.

I'd say it's something like this alright .

Best of luck to the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So....Agger has a tearful meeting with BR saying he wants to leave LFC. But will only go to Brondby. So we accept a figure of at least half of his value and pay him a chunk of his 2 year contract off to boot? And some people are happy about this?

The only way this makes sense is if Agger is having serious problems where a move back will help him. Otherwise I have no idea what the point of this transfer is.

Letting Agger go while keeping Toure is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Toure will gladly sit and wait for another year, picking up a few cameo appearances on the way. Agger obviously doesn't fit that profile. Seems a little strange though a move to Brondby when he was linked with a few clubs that would be higher profile.

Mixed feelings about Agger, granted a decent servant for the club over the years, i think that people have such mixed emotions on him is cause he COULD have been a more pivotal figure for us if he'd been able to stay fitter but always struggled to make that final push.

Should be making a few quid more on him.

• Advertisement

May I remind everyone that we have 8 central defenders on our books who would all expect to start at some level in the Premier League? This isn't bloody Pokemon, when you bring players in, you have to make room by moving others out.

Agger should be 3rd/4th choice at the very worst.

8 CB that include Coates who will never play for us for any extended period of time, Toure who is awful, Ilori/Wisdom who are loaned out but wont be ready anyway and Skrtel/Sakho/Lovren that make up our starting CB's.

We are playing the likes of Real Madrid in the CL and have a long campaign on all fronts, are you happy with 4 CB's of Toure/Skrtel/Sakho/Lovren. I hope we never have to rely on Toure is all I'm gonna say to that.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Letting Agger go while keeping Toure is ridiculous.

Its ok rarnes, we'll get 120k off the wage bill vs Toures 60k or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

United are apparently buying Daly Blind for £14m.
    That'll bring their spending to £215M since Fergerson retired last summer

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its ok rarnes, we'll get 120k off the wage bill vs Toures 60k or whatever.

Toure is better fun too!

In all seriousness though I'm not too bothered about Agger leaving as his best days are behind him.

However, I'd still rate him ahead of Toure and on a par with Skrtel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Toure is better fun too!

In all seriousness though I'm not too bothered about Agger leaving as his best days are behind him.

However, I'd still rate him ahead of Toure and on a par with Skrtel

Ya I think at the end of the day most of us can accept that. I guess it is the fact that he is going on the cheap that is niggling at me. I thought we had some backbone now in the market and were playing tough. That's why I said maybe there is something else behind the scenes that we are missing.

He will be missed. Poor fella was injury prone but only wanted to play for us for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

The Most i can find He was on was 90 k 120 seems Too high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Really disappointed to see us offloading Agger and can't believe its for as little as 3 million.

I still think he is a quality player :(

Seeing this Remy to Chelsea news too is hard to take. I just don't understand what happened there with ourselves and Remy. Rumours of a failed medical, but why is every other club able to pass him?

Bizarre. That one could come back to haunt us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

joe123 wrote: »
    Really disappointed to see us offloading Agger and can't believe its for as little as 3 million.

Seeing this Remy to Chelsea news too is hard to take. I just don't understand what happened there with ourselves and Remy. Rumours of a failed medical, but why is every other club able to pass him?

Remy is good, but is he better than Balotelli? Don't see how it will come to haunt us.

Regarding Agger, he is 4th choice CB, rightly or wrongly the managers sees Lovren, Skrtel and Sakho ahead of him. Centre backs are almost never rotated and rarely substituted. It's hard to see the 3rd choice play much unless there are injuries, let alone the 4th choice. Toure is perfect 4th choice, as he is kind of competent, but also won't kick up a fuss being on the bench all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So have I got this right..

There must be something personal with Agger he hasn't been the same player in the last two years injuries or something going on at home. Well thats ok we all love Agger and it's ok to let him go on the cheap and with a huge pay off.

Glen Johnson on the other hand he is just sh1t that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

if Agger is leaving for some sort of personal reason then I highly doubt he is getting a huge payoff, maybe some kind of loyalty bonus, which he thoroughly deserves but not 2 years pay or anything like that. His contract is probably being terminated by mutual consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

One rumour I seen posted on Twitter was that he had failed a drugs test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Fescue wrote: »

if that was true you'd expect Chelsea would be the last team to be going for Remy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

11 am LFC U18s

Fulton, Whelan, Hart, Brewitt, Roberts, Phillips, Wilson, Marsh, Sinclair, Kent, Canos.

Subs: Polgar, Firth, Maxwell, Nicholas, Travis.

United u18 v Liverpool

Henderson, Riley, Tuanzebe, Williams, Warren, CBJ (who!), Dearnley, Redmond, McTominay, Rathbone, Mitchell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

United are apparently buying Daly Blind for £14m.
    That'll bring their spending to £215M since Fergerson retired last summer

Get used to it. Given their revenue, they can easily afford to do that on a regular basis, certainly they can afford to drop what they have since ferguson left far more then we can affor what we've spent in the same time frame

BMJD wrote: »
    if Agger is leaving for some sort of personal reason then I highly doubt he is getting a huge payoff, maybe some kind of loyalty bonus, which he thoroughly deserves but not 2 years pay or anything like that. His contract is probably being terminated by mutual consent.

Torres apparently waived a contractual pay off to get his move to Milan, I'd imagine it's something similar here with Agger if he's forcing this particular move over another where the club would get a higher transfer fee.
    Contract termination would mean no transfer fee.

Mickalus wrote: »
    if that was true you'd expect Chelsea would be the last team to be going for Remy.

They did alright out of Mutu. Money back wasn't it?

There's definitely something up with Remy. Too quiet from his camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I see we are seemingly to become Brondy's "parent" club for between six and ten years as part of the Agger deal, and as such will have the first option on all their top talent during that period.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    They did alright out of Mutu. Money back wasn't it?

There's definitely something up with Remy. Too quiet from his camp

They'd hardly want to go through all that hassle again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Fescue wrote: »

Well he once said this:

Loic Remy:"I chose QPR not for money but so I could win the league with them and play in Europe next season"

So obviously he has been high as a kite since the start of 2013 :eek::pac:

Mickalus wrote: »
    They'd hardly want to go through all that hassle again though.

Certainly not, didn't mean to imply that.

They fought their corner well with mutu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

A good read on this blog.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/08/regaining-spark/

Good review of the City game.

After watching that game and reading this thread now and again I've been wondering why Liverpool went out and bought more attacking players than defensive ones? Last season our attack was excellent while our defence not so good. Surely we should have spent more on improving our defence? I don't mean spending lots of cash, I mean buying world class defenders. The thoughts of facing Real Madrid fills me with dread, although I am over the moon to be able to watch European matches again, especially at Anfield.

Maybe ye have already discussed this topic over the last week but I haven't been following the forum so much. Only have a quick look here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Give it to Reus

Seriously?

The reserve LB as vice captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Remy replacing Borini and still having purchased Balotelli would have been an even better window.

We still need a quality 2nd keeper, hope it happens soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Blondie919 wrote: »

After watching that game and reading this thread now and again I've been wondering why Liverpool went out and bought more attacking players than defensive ones? Last season our attack was excellent while our defence not so good. Surely we should have spent more on improving our defence? I don't mean spending lots of cash, I mean buying world class defenders. The thoughts of facing Real Madrid fills me with dread, although I am over the moon to be able to watch European matches again, especially at Anfield.

Maybe ye have already discussed this topic over the last week but I haven't been following the forum so much. Only have a quick look here and there.

Have to admit to being terrified of the prospect myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Blondie919 wrote: »

We've signed a Lb, Rb and Cb and realistically we could see a completely different back 4 to the majority of last season with sahko in there too. That's a pretty big overhaul as it is. It's going to take a few games before they properly gel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'd said before that our back problems is not a personnel issue it's a tactical one. This is arguably Rodgers' biggest challenge this season.

11 am LFC U18s

Fulton, Whelan, Hart, Brewitt, Roberts, Phillips, Wilson, Marsh, Sinclair, Kent, Canos.

Subs: Polgar, Firth, Maxwell, Nicholas, Travis.

United u18 v Liverpool

Henderson, Riley, Tuanzebe, Williams, Warren, CBJ (who!), Dearnley, Redmond, McTominay, Rathbone, Mitchell

3-0! I hope you're watching this, brilliant third goal.

One of our biggest problems is that so often we are caught either with an attack coming full force at our back four with no protection, or else Gerrard is stuck trying to cover the back four and essentially its Gerrard plus our two Center backs against an attack.

Id say Allen will told be sit in beside Gerrard for that Real game. But thats for another day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

if the agger thing is true then its the club showing its class. surprised barca didn't bite though instead of vermaelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Kess73 wrote: »
    I see we are seemingly to become Brondy's "parent" club for between six and ten years as part of the Agger deal, and as such will have the first option on all their top talent during that period.

We can do what chelsea do with vitesse aswell and loan a load of our young talent out to them each season.

Edit: dimarzio running falcao to man city that would be ridiculous on top of what they already have.

• Advertisement

So looks like Skrtel has broken his fibula according to reports.

Sakho and Lovren so? Both players prefer to play on the left side of defence so it wouldnt suprise me to see Kolo in. Id still expect Sakho though...surely!

rob316 wrote: »
    We can do what chelsea do with vitesse aswell and loan a load of our young talent out to them each season.

Edit: dimarzio running falcao to man city that would be ridiculous on top of what they already have.

One would hope anyway. Would love to see us develop ties like that with a number of clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Could Agger be underwriting the move himself? Forgoing the money owed to himself to pick where he wants to go . He doesn't have to leave for anywhere to allow the club "to cash in". He has what ? Two years left on 120k a wk to bargain with. The club have paid net 2.8m plus wages for his time with them, that's not bad.
    Whatever, their happy, he's happy, fair play to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's gone club just confirmed. Wish him well, great pro it's just his time was up with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Grand so, life goes on :)

If this Falcao to City loan is true then Negredo is the one who will surely move on. Worth a punt? There's money left in the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Was always a huge fan of Daniel Agger. Great player and seemed to really love the club. Best of luck Daniel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Good servant to the club but his time was up!
    Wish him every success at Brondby

So looks like Skrtel has broken his fibula according to reports.

Sakho and Lovren so? Both players prefer to play on the left side of defence so it wouldnt suprise me to see Kolo in. Id still expect Sakho though...surely!

Lovern can play equally well on the right or left of a CB pairing. He has done for so Lyon, Southampton and for his country. Would have no worries at all aout him being played on the right and Sakho beside him on the left.

Would love to see a Lovern/Sakho combo get an extended run of games so that they could develop a partnership in the centre of the back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Absolutely gutted. Daniel Agger stuck by us and rejected Barcelona twice and Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jaysus, where'd this Skrtel news come from?! Bit shocked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement