Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What are peoples thoughts on Etoo as a signing to replace Remy
    Would cost just his wages, would be a 1 year deal and has endless endless experience
    Similiar style as Sturridge and he would obviously be happy not to play every game.
    9 goals in 21 games for a very very defensive Chelsea, a number of them as a sub too

I think it would be a v shrewd bit of business if we did it

Only if he apologizes to Hendo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

martyos121 wrote: »
    Even if we signed Bony, he couldn't possibly get it. There's a lot of history behind Liverpool's number 7 shirt, and only a big, marquee signing (Reus) OR a player developed by the club (Sterling) should get it, IMO. The new striker should take number 11.

Sterling in number 7 would be a massive confidence boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If Reus' buy out clause kicks in next season at 35 million (euro?) then it would need to be an offer between 40 and 50 million this season to get him.

Can we really see the club spending that much on one player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Even if we signed Bony, he couldn't possibly get it. There's a lot of history behind Liverpool's number 7 shirt, and only a big, marquee signing (Reus) OR a player developed by the club (Sterling) should get it, IMO. The new striker should take number 11.

Something about that number screams inconsistency to me in recent years, Assaidi, Maxi, Mark Gonzalez, Riera....Yossi probably being the most solid of them.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sterling in number 7 would be a massive confidence boost.

I agree, irrespective of whether we get a marquee signing or not, Sterling should get the number 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If Reus' buy out clause kicks in next season at 35 million (euro?) then it would need to be an offer between 40 and 50 million this season to get him.

Can we really see the club spending that much on one player?

Well let's say we agree a fee of €45 million, which seems very fair. That's only 35 million when you convert to pounds, and in this economy with these inflated transfer fees, that is an absolute steal for a player of his calibre. Wouldn't give it a second thought if I was Rodgers, no harm in trying at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Well let's say we agree a fee of €45 million, which seems very fair. That's only 35 million when you convert to pounds, and in this economy with these inflated transfer fees, that is an absolute steal for a player of his calibre. Wouldn't give it a second thought if I was Rodgers, no harm in trying at least.

I would imagine all these things are well sussed out before any sort of interest is formally declared. The club would know whether Reus is interested.

It might please fans to see the club lodging a bid for the player but if they know he doesn't want to join why would they.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Lads.. we're not getting Reus.

tok9 wrote: »
    Lads.. we're not getting Reus.

Well arent you a: Buzz_Killington.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Johnson is muck but on form he would still be our best RB. The lack of competition hasn't helped him as he has been a guaranteed starter due to Flanagan having to cover LB for all the season.

Defensive options look really good

Moreno - Sakho - Lovren - Flanagan

or

Enrique - Skrtel - Lovren - Manquillo/Johnson or even Kelly.

I rate Enrique has a very solid LB so him and Moreno duking it out for a starting spot will be great. Lovren is defender I see as a nailed on starter everyone else will have to make there mark.

• Advertisement

I'd have Flanagan in at RB instead of Johnson without question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

rarnes1 wrote: »

If we sign Manquillo we'll be overloaded with right backs. Realistically you only really need 2 to cover that spot and we'd have four (Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan and Maquillo) and Widom on loan.

Haven't heard it discussed at all but now would be a good time to show Johnson the door!! He'd be on high wages so I'd imagine FSG would see him as the one to leave.

I think Flanagan getting into the England sqaud for Brazil was a major confidence boost to him. I'd be expecting to see him improve greatly this year.

I would too. I think he's being underrated by some.

It's not like he's in the Stephen Wright bracket! :o

His application last season reminded me of Henderson. His position in the club was under threat, he got the head down and got stuck in.

I don't see the same commitment say from Jack Robinson or Martin Kelly both who, if they stay this season will definitely be gone the next.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Can't believe people are still calling Johnson our best RB. The past 18 months he has been abysmal. Time to cut our losses on him and show him the door. Flano should be starting the Southampton game at RB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well arent you a: Buzz_Killington.jpg

2011_7_24_best-of.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is it possible that Rodgers could help Johnson find some form again?

He still England's best right back, if he can keep it simple he can do a very good job.

Two weeks tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oranage2 wrote: »

He still England's best right back, if he can keep it simple he can do a very good job.

Because his competition is worse, Walker ffs. Flanagan is my starting right back next season he proved it on the left last season, if Kelly could put his injuries behind him he's another who could push for it also.

I think Kellys ship has sailed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He's not even Liverpool's best England right back.

Flanagan is more reliable than him. They are both fairly ineffective going forward, but Flanagan is a more disciplined defender and keeps possession better. I'd probably say the same about Wisdom.

I think Kellys ship has sailed

Yeah, he looked out of place against City the other night. Disappointing, because he'd just had a brilliant 45 minutes in that match against United were he got injured. Injuries have taken their toll, unfortunately.

Yeah, he looked out of place against City the other night. Disappointing, because he'd just had a brilliant 45 minutes in that match against United were he got injured. Injuries have taken their toll, unfortunately.

It is a big pity as he looked like a guy with great potential and backed it up with some very good performances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone else post this? It seems to illustrate why the Moreno deal has taken time.

Mike Bernard @mikebernard_fsg · Jul 23
    Ian Ayre negotiated the deal whilst in Spain and signing off the paperwork for Iago Aspas to join Sevilla on a season's loan deal (4/4)

Sevilla insisted upon this arrangement as they wish to give him a send off in front of the fans having brought him through the academy (3/4)

Alberto Moreno will join LFC on Wednesday 13 August following the European Super Cup Final against Real Madrid in Cardiff on 12 August (2/4)

News on Alberto Moreno. Sevilla and LFC have agreed upon a fee for the transfer of Moreno who will join the club on a 5 year deal (1/4)

EDIT - withdraw your thanks - this fella is another twit on twitter 77 followers !

Anyone else post this? It seems to illustrate why the Moreno deal has taken time.

Ian Ayre negotiated the deal whilst in Spain and signing off the paperwork for Iago Aspas to join Sevilla on a season's loan deal (4/4)

Sevilla insisted upon this arrangement as they wish to give him a send off in front of the fans having brought him through the academy (3/4)

Alberto Moreno will join LFC on Wednesday 13 August following the European Super Cup Final against Real Madrid in Cardiff on 12 August (2/4)

News on Alberto Moreno. Sevilla and LFC have agreed upon a fee for the transfer of Moreno who will join the club on a 5 year deal (1/4)

Classy from Seville if true

I'd be happy enough with that. Enrique should start the season as first choice anyway. He is solid and experienced. Moreno can be bedded in slowly the way it should be.

• Advertisement

Makes sense to not lose your best LB before facing Real.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I see rumours of Lavezzi appearing again today. Make this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I see rumours of Lavezzi appearing again today. Make this happen.

new coffee machine at the training ground?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Johnson has gone backwards since Rodgers took over, he had a brief spell in 12/13 where he looked like he was back to his best but he has just been so poor since its hard to see him turning it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

greendom wrote: »
    new coffee machine at the training ground?

Lost out on Costa, no hope of Lavezzi - but at least we have Dunkin Donuts

• Advertisement

And Pepe ends up giving him a long term injury. Can see it happening to us!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Old rumour at this stage (all of 3 days) but what are peoples thoughts on this ?

A lot of assists in the French league last season

Same source also saying IBE will be going out on loan this season.
    He would be like a new signing next season if he had a years playing time under his belt
    Mike Bernard @mikebernard_fsg · Jul 27
    There is also interest in Lucas Moura who could be on the move if Di Maria joins PSG next week. Liverpool have asked to be kept informed.

OH SWEET JESúS YES
    This is the single greatest thing to happen in the transfer window if true
    David Zoller ‏@DavidZollerNBC 4h
    Reports here in Boston that #LFC will offload Johnson for £4m now that Moreno & Manquillo are in the bag, one year before he goes for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Big mistake by Scolari in not picking him for the WC. Brilliant dribbler with fantastic pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Said a few days ago that I think Lucas Moura is the ideal signing for us. Would absolutely love this to be true. A front line of Sterling, Sturridge and Lucas Moura would terrify any defence. THINK OF THE PACE! :D

OH SWEET JESúS YES

Off to QPR? Lets hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

OH SWEET JESúS YES

Fake account going by what you read.

Off to QPR? Lets hope so!

I could see Harry Redknapp saying that he failed the medical just to spite us!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

We have talented Attacking Mids and Wingers. We need a goalscorer.

I don't think Sturridge is up to the amount of goals we need up front.

We have plenty of people to deliver quality balls and set up a goal but no options other than Sturridge to stick it in the back of the net.

joe123 wrote: »
    Fake account going by what you read.

Im actually heartbroken!
    Goddamn fake accounts are the bain of twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

How is this in any way news.

Coutinho T-Shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I thought I recognised that mikebernard name from somewhere. He posted this on 23rd July, interesting to see if it comes to pass.

https://twitter.com/mikebernard_fsg/status/492064772171763712

Football 365 just dumped in their transfer blog that we're in for:

Ogenyi Onazi, Reus and Lavezzi.

I love where we're at right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Stop quoting rubbish from Tw@tter!

What ever happened to all the rumours about Will Hughes last January ?
    People were raving about him and what he could be
    Now it seems that its completely gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ilori on a season long loan to Dortmund is out there now.

Let the conspiracy theorists take it from there :pac:

The Mirror not twitter.

Why on earth would we loan Ilori to Dortmund? Surely the point of a loan is to get him as much first team experience as possible, and they have Hummels and Subotic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Cjs21 wrote: »
    I don't think Sturridge is up to the amount of goals we need up front.

How many goals do you think we need from one player, that you think Sturridge can't get?

Sturridge has scored 31 goals in 43 games for us, and scored 21 last season, the second highest scorer in the league. A fair few of them where when Suarez wasn't on the pitch. That's more goals last season than RvP, Rooney, Touré, Aguêro, Giroud etc. etc.

I get that Suarez is a big loss, and there's no guarantee that Sturridge will score over 20 again, but he's clearly more than capable of it, and I just don't understand the lack of faith in him that quite a few Boardsies seem to have. I think it is the Suarez effect, if we never had Suarez and Sturridge got his 21 goals last season, he'd be a hero and we'd be delighted to have him leading the line this season. Instead he's almost viewed as also-ran.

J.

Why on earth would we loan Ilori to Dortmund? Surely the point of a loan is to get him as much first team experience as possible, and they have Hummels and Subotic

They want Ilori if Hummels goes to United. If it screws up United's transfer plans then I say don't loan!!

On the other hand it could be part of the Reus deal!! :D

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »

On the other hand it could be part of the Reus deal!! :D

Thats the Pipe Dream :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement