Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Manquillo (loan)---- 2m
    Lambert
    4m
    Origi
    6.5m (now)
    Can
    9.8m
    Lovren
    20m
    Moreno (nearly)
    20m
    Lallana
    22m
    Markovic
    19.8m
    _________________104.1m

Suarez
    70m
    +others
    30m
    Capital
    60m
    _________________160 m

Offski from Borini, Assiadi, Lucas, Agger, Toure, Kelly, Coates Coady and Reina. Hard to imagine all the defenders will go even if one can make a case for each not being good enough. I've underlined the ones I think will go.

Doubt Toure will be going. He is more than capable for 1st choice and happy to sit on the bench. Good to have around such a young squad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MR NINE wrote: »
    I think im in the minority, but I dont particularly rate Rickie Lambert and would rather see Borini starting games ahead of him. I agree this season would probably be his last chance to make an impact for liverpool but in all fairness hes barely had his first chance to make an impact for Liverpoo, hes only started five league games for liverpool, and they were the five opening games of Rodgers first campaign where the team struggled and we faced some tough opposition. Axeing Borini and bringing in Lambert is similar to Chelseas decision to axe lukaku and bring in Drogba except its far less profitable. It feels like a short sighted move.

Whilst I agreed with you on keeping Borini, I would totally disagree on him being a better option than Lambert. Lambert is a very good back up option imho, and is quite a well rounded player. He is good technically and also scores well on the physical side of things. He comes acorss as quite a clever player on the pitch as well as he seems to spot runs and read the play quite well.

Think Lambert is exactly the sort of experienced back up forward we needed, but I do think we need at least two good to very good options ahead of him. Right now we have Sturridge, so we need another added.

Borini I would see as a different sort of option to Lambert, and would see him as a player who could benefit from being around Lambert, during games and in training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

mosstin wrote: »
    Keeping Borini isn't going to improve him as a player or us as a team. There is no way the club will leave us with just Sturridge and Lambert as our only striking options. Hasn't worked for him or the club - thanks and goodbye.

He had one season, being played in a different position to his natural one and suffered with injuries. Ridiculous to write him off already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Borini would a smaller more versatile player, where as I see Lambert as an enforcer up the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get why people are criticising Lambert all the time.

I think he will do a good job for us and will get goals if played in the right system.

Good business for the price we paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Kess73 wrote: »
    Whilst I agreed with you on keeping Borini, I would totally disagree on him being a better option than Lambert. Lambert is a very good back up option imho, and is quite a well rounded player. He is good technically and also scores well on the physical side of things. He comes acorss as quite a clever player on the pitch as well as he seems to spot runs and read the play quite well.

Think Lambert is exactly the sort of experienced back up forward we needed, but I do think we need at least two good to very good options ahead of him. Right now we have Sturridge, so we need another added.

Borini I would see as a different sort of option to Lambert, and would see him as a player who could benefit from being around Lambert, during games and in training.

Hey we cant agree on everything! I dont think Lambert is a bad player, and in an ideal world I'd like to see us keep Lambert and Borini and sign another good forward, but if its a choice between Lambert and Borini, Id rather we kept Borini. I feel like Lamberts lack of pace will make him stick out. Everything we did last season was based on extremely quick breaks and lots of tireless running with and without the ball. Im not sure Lambert fits that mould, though I guess theres no harm in having a different option. I feel like we may regret letting Borini go if he manages to stay injury free and keeps up some of the form he showed last season whilst we have a 34 year old Rickie Lambert instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get why people are criticising Lambert all the time.

I think he will do a good job for us and will get goals if played in the right system.

Good business for the price we paid.

Think he'll be good too. What would be great for him would be to score a few goals quickly which would seriously ease any pressure.

Think strikers can quickly get written off when not scoring. Can become abit of a vicious cycle as their playing time will probably drop too which makes it harder to score. I'd say Borini and Aspas are examples of this. Good thing for Lambert is the price we paid will mean people are more patient with him.

That's one positive of not blowing all the Suarez cash on one / two players as teh price paid can often weigh heavily on a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I don't think Borini has ever shown he has the quality to play for a top level team. There is a lot to like about the guy but I think he has too many shortcomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

The lads after the match against City

Bt9rNv2IQAAJNQe.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The club left us with just Suarez and Borini two years ago, theres certainly a chance it could happen again. If we bring in another body or two up front then fair enough celebrate his departure if youre not a fan of him, but whilst we only have two other forwards I won't be too happy to see him leave

I'm not celebrating his departure, just looking forward to an upgrade. Borini, for all his much vaunted movement, has never struck me as someone who would be prolific.

• Advertisement

Also, few bit's of stats comparing the 2 RB's we've been linked with along with Johnson.

League Only Javier Manquillo Juanfran Glen Johnson

Tackles Per Game 4.7 2.1 2.2

Fouls Per Game 1.3 0.8 0.8

Tackles Per Foul 3.5 2.7 2.8

Interceptions Per Game 1.0 2.0 1.7

Possessions Won Back Per Game 5.7 4.1 3.9

Cjs21 wrote: »
    The lads after the match against City

Bt9rNv2IQAAJNQe.jpg:large

Another pic from the same night.

Bt9DlYPIYAAtyCQ.jpg

He had one season, being played in a different position to his natural one and suffered with injuries. Ridiculous to write him off already.

I'm not writing him off. I just don't think he's he right fit for Liverpool. If we get 14 million for him and can recruit someone who'll convert the chances we'll inevitably make, that's a no brainer. Not ridiculous at all.

Fescue wrote: »
    Another pic from the same night.

Bt9DlYPIYAAtyCQ.jpg

Reus looks like he's after getting big headed since signing for us, maybe we shouldn't of giving him the No.7 shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fescue wrote: »
    I don't think Borini has ever shown he has the quality to play for a top level team. There is a lot to like about the guy but I think he has too many shortcomings.

I would take half of what is being quoted for him. We do not need him.

ebbsy wrote: »

Eh?

ebbsy wrote: »

£14 million for Borini is a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Theres a video on the clubs youtube page of sakho, lucas and coady speaking to some kids and sakhos english is actually pretty good which is good to see, not perfect obviously but well able to converse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Reus looks like he's after getting big headed since signing for us, maybe we shouldn't of giving him the No.7 shirt!

I've never been a fan of giving the LB/RB the No.7 jersey anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hey we cant agree on everything! I dont think Lambert is a bad player, and in an ideal world I'd like to see us keep Lambert and Borini and sign another good forward, but if its a choice between Lambert and Borini, Id rather we kept Borini. I feel like Lamberts lack of pace will make him stick out. Everything we did last season was based on extremely quick breaks and lots of tireless running with and without the ball. Im not sure Lambert fits that mould, though I guess theres no harm in having a different option. I feel like we may regret letting Borini go if he manages to stay injury free and keeps up some of the form he showed last season whilst we have a 34 year old Rickie Lambert instead

Which is pretty similar to how Southampton played. They pressed when they did not have the ball, and were able to attack at pace when they had the ball. Lambert fitted in quite well in that system, and was able to link play very well for the quicker players on his team.

What I like about Lambert is that he makes up for a lack of blistering pace through having what seems to be a very quick footballing brain. I compared him in the past on here to Teddy Sheringham in some ways, and I think he will provide that sort of role for us.

I think with players like Coutinho, Sterling, and Lallana around him, that he will have the sort of ball playing players that he seems to thrive on, and he is no bad passer of the ball himself. Don't be surprised to see him involved in a lot of neat little triangles if his link ups with Lallana & Co from the past season or two are anything to go by.

I am not expecting him to set the world on fire, but I am expecting him to be good enough to fit into our team when needed and be able to be a functioning part of a team that for the most part is very comfortable on the ball.

Plus he comes with the added bonus of being able to mix it up against robust defenders when he has to.

Think he might prove to be a nice surprise to folk. Not as nice as surprse as I think Lallana will prove to be to some, but a smile creator nonetheless.

And you have added a couple of years onto the poor guy, he just cannot catch a break from ya today :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Which is pretty similar to how Southampton played. They pressed when they did not have the ball, and were able to attack at pace when they had the ball. Lambert fitted in quite well in that system, and was able to link play very well for the quicker players on his team.

What I like about Lambert is that he makes up for a lack of blistering pace through having what seems to be a very quick footballing brain. I compared him in the past on here to Teddy Sheringham in some ways, and I think he will provide that sort of role for us.

I think with players like Coutinho, Sterling, and Lallana around him, that he will have the sort of ball playing players that he seems to thrive on, and he is no bad passer of the ball himself. Don't be surprised to see him involved in a lot of neat little triangles if his link ups with Lallana & Co from the past season or two are anything to go by.

I am not expecting him to set the world on fire, but I am expecting him to be good enough to fit into our team when needed and be able to be a functioning part of a team that for the most part is very comfortable on the ball.

Plus he comes with the added bonus of being able to mix it up against robust defenders when he has to.

Think he might prove to be a nice surprise to folk. Not as nice as surprse as I think Lallana will prove to be to some, but a smile creator nonetheless.

And you have added a couple of years onto the poor guy, he just cannot catch a break from ya today :P

Ha the last part was unclear on my part, I was speaking hypothetically a couple years down the line, I obviously didn't make it very clear at all though, my bad.

You make some pretty good points to be fair, soton did play a similar style, though they were nowhere near as explosive or good. I don't have anything against Lambert, I just struggle to see him fitting into our style of play for some reason. I certainly hope I'm wrong as he's a fairly likeable player and by no means a donkey. It's mainly just his lack of pace that worries me I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

On Flanagan; I'd still be very concerned about how easily he can be beaten one on one at times, kind of the opposite to Enrique. Maybe that will improve with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Milkers wrote: »
    On Flanagan; I'd still be very concerned about how easily he can be beaten one on one at times, kind of the opposite to Enrique. Maybe that will improve with experience.

That's is true but then you also have to consider if a player beats Flanagan he seems to try and actually get back and stick in another challenge ! Johnson is beaten and that's it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

At first I was like Whaa? when we signed Lambert, but in the grand scheme of things he adds something different, loves the club and is a decent player.

Saying that he has been awful in pre season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

joe123 wrote: »
    At first I was like Whaa? when we signed Lambert, but in the grand scheme of things he adds something different, loves the club and is a decent player.

Really don't think he or any player should be judged in pre season. It's all about fitness and experimenting.

He also has to adapt to new players, management, tactics and style etc.

Wait till season starts properly before assessing players.

Playing well in pre-season is no indication of greatness either I might add.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Voronin and Aspas both looked great pre-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

joe123 wrote: »

Hes been alright but pre season is all about fitness rather than performance. Lambert knows his body and I'm sure he'll be 100% and raring to go in two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

If you consider where we want to be ( Top 4) you have to ask yourself would Lambert have been even considered at either Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs and even Everton.

The answer is more than like a no for all of them with possibly the exception of Everton.

As I stated earlier we're behind Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal in the strikers department. Everton closed the gap by signing Lukaku.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If you consider where we want to be ( Top 4) you have to ask yourself would Lambert have been even considered at either Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs and even Everton.

The answer is more than like a no for all of them with possibly the exception of Everton.

As I stated earlier we're behind Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal in the strikers department. Everton closed the gap by signing Lukaku.

Lambert as a backup striker is absolutely fine with me.

Not many teams can say they have a backup that scores as much as him.

Spurs and Everton?? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Depending on whether Sanchez plays up front Liverpool have better strikers than Arsenal. Sturridge is better than Giroud and neither side have much depth there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ya but a lot of players we bought wouldn't have been considered at the time by those teams and probably still don't.

Examples.

Mignolet/Sakho/Lovren/Markovic/Lallana/Henderson/Coutinho/Sterling/Sturridge

Hell even Suarez wasn't considered by any of the top 4 either before we signed him.

BR is building a squad that is greater than the sum of its parts. No one signing should be viewed so simplistically.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Lambert as a backup striker is absolutely fine with me.

Not many teams can say they have a backup that scores as much as him.

Spurs and Everton?? Lol

Do you not think Spurs would believe they are above Lambert?

And what would be wrong with having that mentality.

Lambert outscored Soldado last season. Goals win games not fancy names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lambert is a 1 in 2.5 PL goal scorer and is what will probably be 3rd choice striker I see nothing wrong with that.

He can play the way Brendan Rodgers wants to, But he can also be the plan B type player if needed the big man up front.

AdamD wrote: »
    Depending on whether Sanchez plays up front Liverpool have better strikers than Arsenal. Sturridge is better than Giroud and neither side have much depth there

Arsenal - Sanchez, Giroud, Walcott, Podolski

Is better than

Liverpool - Sturridge, Lambert, Borini

Is better than

I'd argue only Giroud is the only striker out of those 4 Arsenal players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Spurs are signing Jay Rodriguez

NukaCola wrote: »
    Lambert outscored Soldado last season. Goals win games not fancy names.

In fairness Soldado flopped last season for spurs, but prior had done very well in La Liga. Far better than 1 in 3

Lambert has 2 seasons in top flight, lets not get too carried away here.

Is better than

If you are going to put Walcott & Sanchez as strikers then you need to add Sterling and Markovic as strikers at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just take a look at the teams Lambert scored against last season. Not a lad for the big games at all, but should do well for us against the likes of Leicester, West Brom, Villa etc.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=16995&season_id=143

In fairness Soldado flopped last season for spurs, but prior had done very well in La Liga. Far better than 1 in 3

I'm sure that's great consolation to Spurs and the £30 million they spent on him.

Spurs are signing Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez compares to Lambert in only that they both played for Southampton.

As a possible 3rd striker?

No I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

tritium wrote: »
    Up to now there's a few possibilities

Getting Lovren

Getting a mega fee for Luis after bitegate3 (probably more down to Ayre)

We all now that the triple signing of Vidal, Reuss and Isco will top everything though

It wasn't a mega fee for Suarez.
    Jako8 wrote: »
    Someone found Jordan Henderson's Bebo Account. Give him your luvs, lads.

SCARED OF NOTHING.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just take a look at the teams Lambert scored against last season. Not a lad for the big games at all, but should do well for us against the likes of Leicester, West Brom, Villa etc.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=16995&season_id=143

Sure Suarez couldn't do it against the big either ;) So he should do just fine then.

Is better than

Walcott and Sanchez aren't strikers

Last season

Podolski and Giroud got 24 goals between them.

Your getting a bit carried away I think. Lambert signing was a relatively low risk, low fee, low wage and decent backup. He can do a job as 3rd choice as many have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Jay Rodriguez compares to Lambert in only that they both played for Southampton.

And that they are both decent. One cost 4m and will provide backup. The other will cost a fortune probably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He's a back up striker for God's sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement