Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd have no problem with Toure staying at the club wth his experience and maybe he could be made captain of the League Cup team of younger players.

Let him pass his experience on in training and League Cup games and FA Cup games.

He really should only be 4/5th choice CB for the PL & CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Coates get a chance over Toure tbh as I think the latter is finished and a complete liability.

snap

redzerdrog wrote: »
    snap

Rhythm is a dancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yan Dhanda showboating while on U17 duty. Yes, he is our player.

https://vine.co/v/ME2wqxAKXn2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

What time is the game today lads?

What time is the game today lads?

I think it at 23:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I think it at 23:30

Thanks.

If we win that and I imagine we will cos Milan have been awful so far do we have to play Man Utd in the final? That'll be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really don't think he or any player should be judged in pre season. It's all about fitness and experimenting.

He also has to adapt to new players, management, tactics and style etc.

Wait till season starts properly before assessing players.

Playing well in pre-season is no indication of greatness either I might add.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Thanks.

If we win that and I imagine we will cos Milan have been awful so far do we have to play Man Utd in the final? That'll be fun.

Yeh as far as I know

I dont think the internet can handle such a match so early in the season though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yeh as far as I know

I dont think the internet can handle such a match so early in the season though

United still have to top their group. Don't know about you lads but I think it would be good for both teams. Possibly the only preseason fixture that you could actually gauge anything from as there'll be no quarter given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I wouldn't keep Coates if we want him to develop and be a contender for the first team. He needs games and lots of them. Get him off to a PL team to play30 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I wouldn't keep Coates if we want him to develop and be a contender for the first team. He needs games and lots of them. Get him off to a PL team to play30 games.

I can definitely see him doing well on loan at Villa if Vlaar is sold. It's a move that makes sense for both parties. I think Sunderland or Southampton would also be good moves where he'd be pretty much guaranteed to play week in, week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I would offer him to Southampton for the year . Plus he would have a mate there in Ramirez so it would make a lot of sense .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He is a talented footballer and has skill, not sure dc is his position, maybe he could be a tall makelele for someone. Has the athleticism and likes to get his body in the way but I currently shudder when I think of him being our last line of defence. Maybe experience will help his confidence and a go at a pl club where he is relied upon is the way to go. Handy for us as well when we have to play them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Lavezzi wants Juve instead of us and more Balotelli links, this makes me very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Balotelli for around £15m as the price quoted would be worth the risk I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Lavezzi wants Juve instead of us and more Balotelli links, this makes me very happy.

An aul source wouldnt go amiss. Even if its someone on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cjs21 wrote: »
    joe123 wrote: »

All the proof you need! :p

Brendan Rodgers confirms interest in Liverpool transfer target Mario Balotelli

feel free to throw eggs at Metro Sports Reporter Jamie Sanderson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's a broken record at this stage but if balotelli cops on he can be the best. If rodgers could tame him it would be a huge bargain at £15m. I would be concerned on how disruptive he would be to the squad though he is a looper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ideal replacement for Suarez in more ways than one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

greendom wrote: »
    Ideal replacement for Suarez in more ways than one

Aye without suarez we are missing that figure of hate for rivals fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

joe123 wrote: »

Had the link copied but never pasted :pac:

Heres another one

Star

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If Balotelli can be got for 20m eurodollars then we should do it. I'm not really gone on him but Sturridge and Lambert aren't enough firepower for the season the club is facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Vicxas wrote: »
    I dont rate him at all, not after his WC performance.

Its lazy journalism at its best.

You mean being the main CB on the World Cup winning team? Yeah, what a donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

rob316 wrote: »
    Aye without suarez we are missing that figure of hate for rivals fans.

Wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure one can be found!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Augmerson wrote: »
    If Balotelli can be got for 20m eurodollars then we should do it. I'm not really gone on him but Sturridge and Lambert aren't enough firepower for the season the club is facing.
    :confused:

If Balotelli is as good as people are saying then why is he only going for a few bob more than Borini?

When he is good he is great but when he isn't its like playing with 9 men. I just can't see him tracking back much and when he does, i see a lot of frees conceded on the edge of the box.

I just can't see BR signing such a potential disruption to the team ethic he has worked so hard to achieve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

5live wrote: »

If Balotelli is as good as people are saying then why is he only going for a few bob more than Borini?

When he is good he is great but when he isn't its like playing with 9 men. I just can't see him tracking back much and when he does, i see a lot of frees conceded on the edge of the box.

I just can't see BR signing such a potential disruption to the team ethic he has worked so hard to achieve.

How much was Sturridge again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

How much was Sturridge again?
    £12m;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Liam O wrote: »
    You mean being the main CB on the World Cup winning team? Yeah, what a donkey.

Pretty sure he was talking about Lavezzi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

We still need a top quality attacker - someone who has the potential to go on to be a Torres, Suarez, Aguero, Van Persie, Drogba type player. And I don't mean the potential to achieve that level in the next four or five years, someone who is already nearly there. They would cost money, but that shouldn't be an issue for us, and it's the only way to replace Suarez.

We can't rely on Sturridge (injury prone), Coutiniho (inconsistent), Sterling (still only 19), Markovic (untested) etc. We have lots of good players and a really exciting team, but we will fall short without a reliable game changer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wouldn't want to see Balotelli at the club for any price! The guy is a liability and an utter nutjob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I always defended Balotelli until one game where he was just an absolute disgrace. I think it was actually against Man Utd, where Mancini took a punt by starting him when at a time he was under immense pressure.

Ended up being subbed at HT or just after it in a game he was lucky not to have been sent off in. He's not worth a punt at any cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

5live wrote: »

It's more a matter of Borini being overvalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

djPSB wrote: »
    It's more a matter of Borini being overvalued.

And Balotelli's lack of effort (for all the talent he has) causing his value to drop.

There's a reason City , Inter and Milan have let / are willing to let him go. He's trouble off the pitch and a waste of undeniable talent on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would be delighted to see Balotelli playing at Anfield again, as long as it was for the opposing team.

The guy does have have the ability to get fans on their feet, but only after he has had them pulling their hair out for many games on end beforehand. He is more entertaining off the pitch than he is on the pitch imho.

Reckon he only got a mention from Rodgers due to the game tonight, and that a few journos are trying to turn it into a "Mario to Liverpool" bit of tabloid fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If Milan are willing, I'd love to take Balotelli on loan until January, with an option to buy in that window. He's just not worth the risk of paying £14m for him, so it would be great to see if Rodgers and Steve Peters can sort his head out and get the best out of him, before splashing out. Doubt Milan would allow it, though.

martyos121 wrote: »
    If Milan are willing, I'd love to take Balotelli on loan until January, with an option to buy in that window. He's just not worth the risk of paying £14m for him, so it would be great to see if Rodgers and Steve Peters can sort his head out and get the best out of him, before splashing out. Doubt Milan would allow it, though.

An Italian club on the wrong end of a loan deal? Not sure if that is scientifically possible.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Did I hear something about Steve Clarke working with the club again?

I reckon BR could get the best out of Balotelli......the guy could be amazing, but not sure we need to risk a transfer like that. His influence could be really disruptive to a young squad such as ours.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    I reckon BR could get the best out of Balotelli......the guy could be amazing, but not sure we need to risk a transfer like that. His influence could be really disruptive to a young squad such as ours.

Stuff his influence on the squad. What about his influence on the city? Folks would go out at night not knowing whether they would be coming home with a 20k watch in their pocket or some fireworks stuck to their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

NukaCola wrote: »

Mancini was supposedly quite close to Balotelli and still got treated like garbage. I'm not sure even BR would be able to weave his magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

For in an around 14M I would definitely take a chance on the Balotelli lad. Always been a huge fan and definitely think Rodgers could get the best from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Mancini was supposedly quite close to Balotelli and still got treated like garbage. I'm not sure even BR would be able to weave his magic.

If we sign Balotelli I will take that as a signal that Rodgers recent success has gone to his head.. This is the only possible reason why Balotelli would be taken on, as a trophy "player turn-around" of the highest order. I dont think Rodgers has lost the run of himself yet so I'm quite calm about this rumour today, I can compartmentalize it without any panic attacks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Kess73 wrote: »
    Stuff his influence on the squad. What about his influence on the city? Folks would go out at night not knowing whether they would be coming home with a 20k watch in their pocket or some fireworks stuck to their heads.

So....just a normal night out in Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

garra wrote: »
    If we sign Balotelli I will take that as a signal that Rodgers recent success has gone to his head.. This is the only possible reason why Balotelli would be taken on, as a trophy "player turn-around" of the highest order. I dont think Rodgers has lost the run of himself yet so I'm quite calm about this rumour today, I can compartmentalize it without any panic attacks :)

In fairness, he has 18, 15 and 17 goals each of the last 3 seasons and that as a very young player. He is a good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

garra wrote: »

Wow ! That's abit much ! Ballotelli could be world class if he came to a club like Liverpool .
    BR is the type of manager mario needs . I get the feeling mario is the type of person that likes people to put the arm around him and BR seems to have that about him . So yeah I would take Ballotelli . If you get him for the rumoured price tag he could be bargain of the last 10 years .

Its a risk I wouldn't take. Thats not to say BR wont though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Balotelli is like the antithesis of Suarez in attitude and application. No thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Augmerson wrote: »
    Did I hear something about Steve Clarke working with the club again?

:(

Bt8yKRWIMAA_c2s.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Wow ! That's abit much ! Ballotelli could be world class if he came to a club like Liverpool .
    BR is the type of manager mario needs . I get the feeling mario is the type of person that likes people to put the arm around him and BR seems to have that about him . So yeah I would take Ballotelli . If you get him for the rumoured price tag he could be bargain of the last 10 years .

I prefer Rodgers without grey hair and a world-weary pained expression. Neither would match his teeth.

Roberto_Mancini_2440105b.jpg

Balotelli has issues from his early days of adoption and seems unable or unwilling to address those issues. Dude will let you down, talented as he is. I love talented players with personality flaws (a la Suarez) but any comparison is essentially flawed as Balotelli does not have the hunger to succeed and to be a great team player just focused on the next game for his team. I will leave you with these words from Mancini who ultimately failed but gave it everything he had for Mario..

"I told him, if you played with me 10 years ago I would give you every day maybe one punch in your head. There are different ways to help a guy like Mario. I don't speak with him every day, otherwise I would need a psychologist, but I speak with him because I don't want him to lose his quality. If Mario is not one of the best players in the world it will be his fault, because he has everything. Mario can be one of the top players in Europe. I don't want him to lose his talent."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement