Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

NEDDURC wrote: »
    So far we've replaced Suarez with 3 players - Lallana, Markovic and Lambert. Rodgers clearly said he wanted to spread the goals out and give us more depth. We often last year had no options on the bench to change a game and now we can see already we have a load of new options there.

The main concern for me is how Suarez could get a breakthrough goal from nothing. That's the value of a world class player. I'd be abit afraid we'll draw many more matches next year without him. I think everyone would feel more comfortable if we signed one more out and out striker who was an excellent finisher but who fits into our system. Hard to know who that is. I'd sort of like for us to stick with our policy of buy young or forgotten players and give someone a chance. I was impressed with Memphis Depay at WC - would think he could be a good striker for less than £20m. Maybe Pedro would be another option?

For years Liverpool were lacking some flair players especially wingers to score more goals and add pace to the attack, but always had a solid back 4 with good full backs. Appear to be in a reverse situation now where we've an excess of exciting attacking players and need to shore up the defence abit.

I could not watch Pedro throw himself to the ground 15 times a game for an entire season. Would break my heart. He is shocking and refuses to stay on his feet. Also he couldnt play in the Sturridge role

The more time goes on the more I wished we had signed Walcott 18 months ago when we almost did. He would be 110% perfect for us right now.
    Would say the same about Schurle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I could not watch Pedro throw himself to the ground 15 times a game for an entire season. Would break my heart. He is shocking and refuses to stay on his feet. Also he couldnt play in the Sturridge role

The more time goes on the more I wished we had signed Walcott 18 months ago when we almost did. He would be 110% perfect for us right now.
    Would say the same about Schurle

What on earth makes you think Liverpool almost signed Walcott?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Tweets from Ben Smith of the BBC.
    Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin close to joining Spurs as two more Southampton players head for the exit door

My understanding is that Jay Rodriguez has already agreed terms with Spurs after the clubs met in Toronto last week
    thank Christ for the second bit.

RE: the first bit, Spurs obviously got a bit miffed that they couldn't close the deal on our targets before we could. In response, they're just buying the leftovers, assuming we'll be going for the rest of the Southampton team. I'd say they're doing it to fulfil that need to fúck us over.

What on earth makes you think Liverpool almost signed Walcott?

Because he is a lifelong fan and we were linked to him for almost 9 months when he refused to sign a new arsenal deal.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-give-up-theo-3327851

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I am pie wrote: »
    No to jay Rodriguez, or in fact anyone else from Southampton.

We've adopted all your pretty children. You can keep your fat ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Because he is a lifelong fan and we were linked to him for almost 9 months when he refused to sign a new arsenal deal.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-give-up-theo-3327851

Your source is the Liverpool Echo. Ah now.

It was reported in every newspaper in england for 9 months
    Take your pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

The Liverpool Echo is as good a third party source as you can get when it comes to LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool have three players in the England U17s squad for the Nordic Tournament, currently playing Iceland and leading 5-0 with a goal from the much rated 15 year old Yan Dhanda

4261__9658__dhanda517a.jpeg

The other two players are Herbie Kane and Trent Arnold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yan, Herbie, and Trent.

Someone is having a laugh.

• Advertisement

Didn't see it posted. Lovren will wear number 6, taking over from Luis Alberto.

zQtrlME.jpg

Knex. wrote: »
    Yan, Herbie, and Trent.

Someone is having a laugh.

I blame the parents, speaking of which I've spotted Liverpool have yet another bloody Jordan at the club - Jordan Hunter, he's 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Didn't see it posted. Lovren will wear number 6, taking over from Luis Alberto.

zQtrlME.jpg

big-shoes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Personally I dont want a superstar signing such as Benzema or Di Maria
    Id take Reus because he is young and hungry but outside of that I want to see us sign players who are hungry and willing to prove themselves like BR has constantly spoken about.
    We dont need to spend £50m on a player

Not too hungry though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Griezmann off to Atleti for £24m it seems.

Really feel we may have missed a trick not going in for him. He seems like exactly the type of player we should have been trying to attract. He's a few years older than Markovic but still very young, but with a lot of good La Liga experience behind him. Very much a modern forward who could fit into a 4-3-3 - a winger who scores a lot of goals. Really quick and really intelligent player. A good few International caps behind him now.

Experienced, young, proven quality, waiting to make the step up.

He really would have been a signing I could have got excited about, and for a few million more than Markovic I'm not sure why we weren't interested.

On the plus side, at least he's not off to Spurs

Morzadec wrote: »
    Griezmann off to Atleti for £24m it seems.

Really feel we may have missed a trick not going in for him. He seems like exactly the type of player we should have been trying to attract. He's a few years older than Markovic but still very young, but with a lot of good La Liga experience behind him. Very much a modern forward who could fit into a 4-3-3 - a winger who scores a lot of goals. Really quick and really intelligent player. A good few International caps behind him now.

Experienced, young, proven quality, waiting to make the step up.

He really would have been a signing I could have got excited about, and for a few million more than Markovic I'm not sure why we weren't interested.

On the plus side, at least he's not off to Spurs

Maybe Liverpools scouts preferred Markovic, just a pretty obvious thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I wonder is there something else going on behind the scenes regarding Remy's failed medical. It's quite rare for a player to fail a medical. Did Liverpool find something because they wanted to. Someone else becoming available?

Maybe Liverpools scouts preferred Markovic, just a pretty obvious thought.

Yeah probably.

To me it seems a risk.

Now I don't know a lot about Markovic, but i do know that he has barely 1 full season of top level football under his belt. This season appeared to be decent but nothing too phenomenal. From the bits I've seen he looks very 'rough' or 'unpolished' you could say - I have some reservations about whether he will be effective in terms of 'final ball' - whether that be finishing off a chance or choosing the right option, and executing it well for an assist. He's probably under no better than Rodgers to refine this aspect of his play, and lets hope he can go something of the way of how Sterling did last year.

Griezmann on the other hand has probably 2 pretty decent seasons and two very, very impressive seasons (the last 2) under his belt, and has shown enough to be a pretty important part of a French team littered with stars. He's proven that he can score goals.

From what I know and can see, one seems a bit risky with very little experience in the game, and maybe a punt for the future, while the other seems like a player who could fit in straight away and has already proven himself as genuine class.

The scouts or Rodgers may disagree with me but they've been wrong before and they'll be wrong again. Carroll taught me that football people are not infallible and sometimes you do know better.

For me, at similar prices, and for maybe 20 or 30 thousand a week more Griezmann was the wing option we should have persued this summer (or Shaquiri).

Let's hope Markovic lives up to the hype and can make an immediate impact and I'm proven wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fescue wrote: »
    I wonder is there something else going on behind the scenes regarding Remy's failed medical. It's quite rare for a player to fail a medical. Did Liverpool find something because they wanted to. Someone else becoming available?

Falcao maybe?

• Advertisement

There were some murmurings that Borini's decision to stay caused them to pull the plug.

I'd be inclined to believe that the doubts about his injury are the real reason though

Falcao maybe?

Well Real are said to be interested in a loan deal for the guy. Could a hefty cash offer turn Monaco and Falcao's head. Worth a punt. I think Falcao would get through the medical.

I'm genuinely shocked that anyone here would think that LFC would needlessly undermine a players reputation to get out of a deal.

Morzadec wrote: »
    There were some murmurings that Borini's decision to stay caused them to pull the plug.

I'd be inclined to believe that the doubts about his injury are the real reason though

Most probably you are right but say someone like Falcao was suddenly a possibility. Remy's heart problem would give Liverpool the perfect exit plan.

We have about as much chance of signing Falcao as we did/do of signing Reus, Vidal or Kroos.

A very high chance.

I'm genuinely shocked that anyone here would think that LFC would needlessly undermine a players reputation to get out of a deal.

Worst club in football, wouldn't put it past them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Worst club in football, wouldn't put it past them.

Think that's Milwall's territory you're encroaching there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Großkreutz at Dortmund is still pining for a move to LFC. Kicker have an interview with him tomorrow and he mentions going back training early to be ready for the Liverpool friendly as otherwise who knows whether he will ever be at Anfield Road again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I must say it was great seeing Jose Enrique back last night. Saw what he offers defensively last night. We could have done with him last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I must say it was great seeing Jose Enrique back last night. Saw what he offers defensively last night. We could have done with him last season.

Did he do many pirouettes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Shamrok wrote: »
    Großkreutz at Dortmund is still pining for a move to LFC. Kicker have an interview with him tomorrow and he mentions going back training early to be ready for the Liverpool friendly as otherwise who knows whether he will ever be at Anfield Road again.

Is that the guy who got the tattoo of the World Cup on his back despite never playing a game for Germany at the World Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Remember when we wanted Gáston Ramirez. He plays for Southampton now.. :v

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Remember when we wanted Gáston Ramirez. He plays for Southampton now.. :v

He is Southampton now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Question. Are we awarded all 3 points if Southampton are unable to field a team against us on opening day :pac:

Its going to be embarrassing when Southampton win :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mostly irrelevant baseball update:

Red Sox are busy this week clearing house (won the World Series last year but dead last in the division this year so cutting their losses). Already got rid of a starting pitcher and rumours they'll trade their ace in next day or so.

Have no idea what involvement in Liverpool's transfers FSG have, but with the week in it (MLB trade deadline is July 31st), I reckon the focus is on the Red Sox until Friday money-wise.

As I say, probably irrelevant but I've been following the trade activity this week and thought I'd mention in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

8-10 wrote: »

Have no idea what involvement in Liverpool's transfers FSG have, but with the week in it (MLB trade deadline is July 31st), I reckon the focus is on the Red Sox until Friday money-wise.

FSG aren't giving us money anymore for transfers, Liverpool must generate it's own money for transfers. If I remember right.

Okay to get a bit serious, teams have shown you can compete while being a bit thin up top by having an exciting array of midfield talent, while I'm sure LFC will be in for another striker can a case be made for basing the attack on the line behind the striker rather than using those players to feed a striker (as was the case with Torres at Liverpool).

Or could an existing AM be turned into a second striker? It wouldn't take a big leap to imagine Sterling or Markovic playing off Sturridge or Lambert.

I was thinking Sterling could be moved into the Striker role.

He has the talent to play anywhere across the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Shamrok wrote: »
    He would be a handy player for ye, hasnt he said numerous times Liverpool and Dortmund were the teams he grew up wanting to play for

FSG aren't giving us money anymore for transfers, Liverpool must generate it's own money for transfers. If I remember right.

I assume there's a sign off on spending it though?

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    I assume there's a sign off on spending it though?

That would be down to Ian Ayre I would guess as CEO if the budget is there for spending.

That would be down to Ian Ayre I would guess as CEO if the budget if there for spending.

Yep you're probably dead right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

27m is a lot of money for Schneiderlin if the fee is as reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

:eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

For what team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

For what team?

For any team. In this case, Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Whilst everyone has sympathy for Southampton, if Koeman is given a fair wedge of what has came so far he'll have some suitcase of cash at his disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was thinking Sterling could be moved into the Striker role.

He has the talent to play anywhere across the front.

That time he scored a rake of goals for some England youth team he was a central striker i think wasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

27 million for Schneiderlin is madness. As good as he is, he isn't in that bracket...yet.

At this rate Southampton won't be able to field a team at Anfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Mark Hughes still interested in signing Assaidi. Says its an ongoing process and the desire to sign him remains.
    Not sure if the main hold up is the £7m fee or wages
    Either way it'll most likely get done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement