Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Niang was the only Milan player to impress me last night.

He's going to be a real good player in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

murpho999 wrote: »
    Oh yes of course it's his excellent movement that you probably like.

Boronias is not good enough for a team with title aspirations. Simple as that.

What's that they say about opinions being like assholes?

I'll stick by Borini until he is sold or has had a sustained run in his favoured position and hasn't performed. He has never started a game up front for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I like Borini but it looks like even Rodgers doesn't rate him highly enough. Barring Sturridge I don't know if there's enough goals in the rest of the team, Sterling could get more than 10 PL goals, Lambert maybe as well, after that Gerrard, Coutinho and Lallana should chip in with a few. I'd prefer another attacking player with an eye for goal.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I feel bad for Coates, when he signed for us I thought he would be starting for 10 years but he just isn't suited to England at all and I don't ever see that changing no matter how many times he impresses in pre season.

Can, I think is going to shock a lot of people this season with his physicality and all round play. It wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be our best signing from this summer.

Rodgers best business this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Vicxas wrote: »
    Anyone have highlights of the match?

short highlights but here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Jamie Carragher ‏@Carra23 5m
    More
    Like the look of Can physical presence and looks good in possession he should do well wearing the 23!!

He has looked very impressive so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If last night showed us anything it is how badly we need another striker to say otherwise is delusional. Sturridge cant be relied upon to stay fit for the season and the lambert/Borini are not good enough to be second choice

OK enough is enough.

Everyone here seems to be under the impression we need a second striker because Sturridge cant be relied upon..

Who do you want signed, a realistic signing who will be happy to spend a lot of time on the bench this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

redzerdrog wrote: »
    If last night showed us anything it is how badly we need another striker to say otherwise is delusional. Sturridge cant be relied upon to stay fit for the season and the lambert/Borini are not good enough to be second choice

Agree it's a shame the Remy deal fell through as he was a perfect fit for filling in up top if sturridge was injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

OK enough is enough.

Everyone here seems to be under the impression we need a second striker because Sturridge cant be relied upon..

Who do you want signed, a realistic signing who will be happy to spend a lot of time on the bench this season.

A second striker. You make that sound like a big ask.

Agree it's a shame the Remy deal fell through as he was a perfect fit for filling in up top if sturridge was injured.

Wilfried Bony. We'll be back in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Personally I was glad the Remy deal fell through. Never liked him as a player, going back to his Marseille days. Not surprised he was never picked up by a Top 4 club over the years, despite being linked constantly. Also he is 27 now.

ush wrote: »
    A second striker. You make that sound like a big ask.

Name him.

OK enough is enough.

I would see it more as a signing that can play wide as part of a front 3 and fill in centrally if sturridge is out. Sanchez and Remy the two players we have gone for would have filled that role.

I would see it more as a signing that can play wide as part of a front 3 and fill in centrally if sturridge is out. Sanchez and Remy the two players we have gone for would have filled that role.

They would be my choice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

And who starts if both are fully fit?

We don't need another striker.

You gotta be joking...right??!!

We don't need another striker??

What if Sturridge is injured?

Even if he was to stay fit the whole season he can't play every minute of every game. Lambert / Borini are no more than 3rd and 4th choice.

I would be soooo worried if we don't sign a top quality striker this window.

We need to be signing a potential 1st choice striker to genuinely compete with Sturridge.

Sturrudge, Lambert and Borini and you don't think we need to another striker? Seriously!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did we not learn when we sold Carroll and didnt have a backup how well that went.

We need a second striker, and I reckon that's what will be after Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

OK enough is enough.

Enough is enough what type of bull**** is this!

I want a striker signed that is an improvement on Lambert/Borini preferably one which can play wide also but this isnt imperative because Sturridge can do so. There will be plenty of gametime for a second striker because even is Suarez stayed we should have made improvments such as Markovic anyway, it is a squad game and with Champions league football aswell another striker is a must.

As for who that may be, I have no idea who is available but thankfully I don't get paid by the club to scout and sign these players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Think another attacker is needed, but it does not have to be an out and out striker.

As some have suggested, a new wide forward who can play anwhere across the attacking line may be what fits the bill.

But would prefer for us to complete any other signings for the first team first at this stage. Get the full back signing sorted and maybe a CM signing.

Do think that Rodgers wants Lallana to play in a similar role to Henderson (in terms of starting position and movement), but if Rodgers has ideas about using Lallana in a more attacking position, be it central or wide, then a new quality midfielder may be looked at.

The depth of quality in the squad is starting to look pretty decent now, and a couple more signings could leave us being pretty happy with the squad we have come the end of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Long Shot but would love to see us go for Cavani. What are the chances?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Absolutely. This is exactly what we need.

Sanchez would've been perfect.

That's the nain thing that would put me off Bony. He's really just a centre forward.

Another option could be that Lacazette chap. Looks like predominantly a centre forward but definitely pacy and skillful enough to play out wide too (a bit like Sturridge actually). O know very little about him, im only going off stats and a youtube video, but he could have the versatility and quality and goal contribution we're looking for.

Balotelli is another who would fit the bill. Most would be against the signing. I'm not sure where I'd stand.

Then im sure there's plenty of other options throughout Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think another attacker is needed, but it does not have to be an out and out striker.

As some have suggested, a new wide forward who can play anwhere across the attacking line may be what fits the bill.

But would prefer for us to complete any other signings for the first team first at this stage. Get the full back signing sorted and maybe a CM signing.

Do think that Rodgers wants Lallana to play in a similar role to Henderson (in terms of starting position and movement), but if Rodgers has ideas about using Lallana in a more attacking position, be it central or wide, then a new quality midfielder may be looked at.

The depth of quality in the squad is starting to look pretty decent now, and a couple more signings could leave us being pretty happy with the squad we have come the end of the window.

I don't think we'll be in for another CM.

Feels like we've a load at the moment.

Long Shot but would love to see us go for Cavani. What are the chances?

All the no's in the world wouldnt cover how much I wouldnt want him at Liverpool.

Name him.

Bony.

They would be my choice too.

Wide forward? Lavezzi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jackson Martinez, Lacina Traore or Alexandre Lacazette for me. All realistic options and offer something different to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

That vine of Emre Can bullying Balotelli off the ball is brilliant..

billy2012 wrote: »
    You gotta be joking...right??!!

We don't need another striker??

What if Sturridge is injured?

Even if he was to stay fit the whole season he can't play every minute of every game. Lambert / Borini are no more than 3rd and 4th choice.

I would be soooo worried if we don't sign a top quality striker this window.

We need to be signing a potential 1st choice striker to genuinely compete with Sturridge.

Sturrudge, Lambert and Borini and you don't think we need to another striker? Seriously!!

If Sturridge is injured? He will be injured.

And if he doesn't get injured, he'll get himself into knots thinking everything depends on him.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Jackson Martinez, Lacina Traore or Alexandre Lacazette for me. All realistic options and offer something different to the team.

Martinez would be tasty!

Would put that transfer saga to an end (After how many years?) :p

• Advertisement

Sterling, Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho, Ibe, Suso.

Think we have a fair few players who can play out wide. IMO what we lack is an attacker who is primarily a striker but who is capable of playing out wide if needed. We need a player who can step up and score the goals if / when Sturridge ain't available. Remy was perfect IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Vicxas wrote: »
    Martinez would be tasty!

Would put that transfer saga to an end (After how many years?) :p

Out of the three I've named, he's definitely the one I'd love us to sign. Also, have Porto ever sold a bad player? Really can't remember anyone moving from there and doing badly, must be a good sign surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gary Monk is not inclined to let Bony go according to stuff as reported this morning on the interweb.

I'll tell you where Liverpool should be looking and its been mentioned before - Shakhtar Donetsk. Luis Adriano

Pedro probably not realistic this window with suarez banned and neymar possibly still injured.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Absolutely. This is exactly what we need.

Sanchez would've been perfect.

That's the nain thing that would put me off Bony. He's really just a centre forward.

Another option could be that Lacazette chap. Looks like predominantly a centre forward but definitely pacy and skillful enough to play out wide too (a bit like Sturridge actually). O know very little about him, im only going off stats and a youtube video, but he could have the versatility and quality and goal contribution we're looking for.

Balotelli is another who would fit the bill. Most would be against the signing. I'm not sure where I'd stand.

Then im sure there's plenty of other options throughout Europe

If we are going down the route of looking for an attacker with pace, who is somewhat unproven but looks like he might be ready to make a jump up in class then would put the name of Luis Murial beside that of Lacazette.

But both would be a gamble along the lines of Markovic imo. As in they all look to have high ceilings and bucketloads of potential, but have not quite shown their quality on a consistant basis as of yet.

Much as I love seeing us go for really good young talent, I would be happier to see us bring in a player with a bit of a track record, over a few seasons, of getting goals in a decent league.

Muriel isn't really that prolific.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Sterling, Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho, Ibe, Suso.

Think we have a fair few players who can play out wide. IMO what we lack is an attacker who is primarily a striker but who is capable of playing out wide if needed. We need a player who can step up and score the goals if / when Sturridge ain't available. Remy was perfect IMO.

None of those are wide forwards though, which is what I said I would like to see.

Remy is a good example of a guy who is as effective as a wide forward as he is as a striker.

I would like to see us get an attacker who can play across the forward line. That way he could play with Sturridge as well as in place of Sturridge.

Lacazette, Murial, and players like them would be able to fill that role if we wanted to go with potential. If we were to try and shop at a much higher level, then guys like Benzema would be able to do it (but highly unlikely a Benzema level player could be got to play second fiddle to Sturridge)

ush wrote: »
    Muriel isn't really that prolific.

No he is not, which to be fair is why I said he would be unproven and a gamble, along with me saying he would be more potential than finished product at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I know its only youtube but for 10m id def have kono here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R-m1CAbaf4

Would do well for us in the CL as i feel.

• Advertisement

None of those are wide forwards though, which is what I said I would like to see.

Remy is a good example of a guy who is as effective as a wide forward as he is as a striker.

I would like to see us get an attacker who can play across the forward line. That way he could play with Sturridge as well as in place of Sturridge.

Lacazette, Murial, and players like them would be able to fill that role if we wanted to go with potential. If we were to try and shop at a much higher level, then guys like Benzema would be able to do it (but highly unlikely a Benzema level player could be got to play second fiddle to Sturridge)

I would be inclined to consider them all capable of playing wide forward. When I say forward , I mean wide attackers what would play of the main Striker. ie - Sturridge.

But you wouldn't really want any of them as a main striker.

We have a number of players who can play off the main striker, whether it be out wide off him or just behind but a lack players who can be the main striker.

Martinez would prob me my number one choice.

Sturridge injured already albeit a slight one.

Really hope we get more quality into the club up top asap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Danny sent home injured ? Hopefully it forces the clubs hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Could we buy Suarez back for €85 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

You gotta laugh at the twitter panic and on here a bit with the talk of ohh we need a top striker etc.
    I agree we need another striker but there is nearly a month left in the window. If the situation is the same on deadline day then we can panic and moan.
    We gotta trust BR and the transfer committee. I was listening to TAW and they has a top football agent on it who has players in la liga, bundesliga, etc.
    He said LFC have the best if not one of the best scouting networks in the world. They have agents everywhere, and that when ppl talk about Rues et al he said LFC prob knew about Reus 5+ years ago and it's the same with any player. There is not a player these top clubs don't know about.
    Take Origi for example, most ppl only heard of him at WC, LFC knew about him for the past few years and they got their man. It's prob the same with Can & Markovich.
    I'm looking forward to seeing who else we bring in that's right for the club and fits the profile, not just spending £30m on a player for the sake of it or to appease fans :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Maybe we can get Soldado? He's a sexy Spaniard with a big name, what could go wrong?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ladies and gentlemen,Roy Curtis.

BuHQ4cKIYAA00lE.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Roy Curtis....Jesus. How is he a journo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You gotta laugh at the twitter panic and on here a bit with the talk of ohh we need a top striker etc.
    Best to just completely avoid Tw@tter.

We have 6 players who've signed on the dotted line with hopefully another 2 defenders that'll be tied up tomorrow, or very early this week. That leaves us with the entire month to bring in another striker. After that, we're set for the season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement