Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Oh and the shoulder on Balotelli might be some revenge thing too as he scored against Germany to knock them out of Euro 2012. Germans don't forget things like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Not the first time Can has nudged a player off the ball with ease in pre-season. Think he did the same to Richards against Man City. Seems to have very quick feet too. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Can will be the much needed muscle we have been missing in midfield since Mascherano left.

He looks like he will be a very top box to box midfielder is he keeps learning and improving under Rodgers.

There won't be many midfields around Europe that will cover as much ground as ours with Henderson, Lallana & Can in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

tok9 wrote: »
    Posts like this should be bookmarked.

The amount of times I or someone else has said this most be close to the bull**** transfer stories we hear.

Twitter isn't a source it's a medium. Plenty of good people to follow on it Barrett, Smith, pearce etc. Just ignore the Anfield mole, indykalia and anyone called agent or self confessed itk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

In terms of risk versus potential rewards, I would be all over Balotelli.

The risk is far too great IMO.
    He has been shipped out of 3(including Milan, prematurely maybe) big clubs already. There is something seriously wrong in the lads head and I don't think any manager will be able to bring it under control. It would be akin to signing Ravel Morrison in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It would be akin to signing Ravel Morrison in my eyes.

I would take the risk on him too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Even after being arrested last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

So, Arsenal lose the cup they invented and Chelsea got beat 3-0 by Werder Bremen...well then :rolleyes:

So, Arsenal lose the cup they invented and Chelsea got beat 3-0 by Werder Bremen...well then :rolleyes:

Our year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wouldn't take Morrisson or Balotelli at this stage.

Morrisson looks talented, but has a terrible attitude and we are fully loaded in the positions in which he operates. Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana are better than him, Markovic probably is too.

Balotelli is a good player, but don't think he is as crazy talented as some people are making out. If we can't find anyone else, I wouldn't mind going back in for Remy on a season long loan.

• Advertisement

And either Liverpool or Utd will loss on monday night and City got knocked out of that cup.

So what I take from all these friendlies is who ever wins on monday wins the PL come next May. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Someone (maybe Can) will have to give Gerrard a nice big bump tackle before the season starts ;)

I'm already sold on the German, he'll be a right crowd rouser, crash! bang! wallop! out of defence, pass forward to Sterling jinking pass to Sturridge goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best fans in the world :o

Morisson is a criminal. He has the world at his feet and would prefer to be a gangster. Big difference between him and balotelli.

In terms of risk versus potential rewards, I would be all over Balotelli.

I take it you are not a very good gambler?

Sterling was in court after being arrested this time last year for assault as well lets not forget.

Yes the charges were dropped.

Maybe the same will happen with Morisson and he will change his life around like Sterling.

I wouldn't want Morisson at the club as we have better players in the same age bracket and we need an experienced forward player.

I wouldn't have morrisson near the club he's a nasty piece of work. He was arrested last week for assaulting 2 women and wasn't even granted bail. He has also been involved in witness intimidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sterling was in court after being arrested this time last year for assault as well lets not forget.

Yes the charges were dropped.

Maybe the same will happen with Morisson and he will change his life around like Sterling.

I wouldn't want Morisson at the club as we have better players in the same age bracket and we need an experienced forward player.

Sterling never needed to change his life around. He's never really been in trouble before. Morrison has a history of bad behaviour and having a poor attitude. His situation is close to Sterling.

I think Can will be the much needed muscle we have been missing in midfield since Mascherano left.

He looks like he will be a very top box to box midfielder is he keeps learning and improving under Rodgers.

There won't be many midfields around Europe that will cover as much ground as ours with Henderson, Lallana & Can in it.

Am not sold on Can yet. Watched him last night and he is impressive in 50:50s with his size, but still not sure about his ability to change direction quickly and to distribute under pressure, two assets that Allen / Henderson / the Count have - this allows quick interchange from front to back on the ground. He's not in tune passing wise or closing down, but i suppose its his pre -season also.. Let's wait and see what he's got when it matters.

Sterling never needed to change his life around. He's never really been in trouble before. Morrison has a history of bad behaviour and having a poor attitude. His situation is close to Sterling.

He was twice charged with assaultwhich leads me to believe he was in trouble before and was heading the wrong way if he didn't change his life around.

I rememebr Kess saying he was seen in Liverpool hanging out in the wrong areas and mixing with people who were not good for him.

What we forget is these guys are millionaires nearly before they are 18 if they don't have the right people around them alot of bad things can happen.

garra wrote: »
    Am not sold on Can yet. Watched him last night and he is impressive in 50:50s with his size, but still not sure about his ability to change direction quickly and to distribute under pressure, two assets that Allen / Henderson / the Count have - this allows quick interchange from front to back on the ground. He's not in tune passing wise or closing down, but i suppose its his pre -season also.. Let's wait and see what he's got when it matters.

He is 20 years old and far from the complete package that's why I said if keeps learning and improving under Rodgers who has shown himsef to be a very good coach of young players he can (pun not intended) become a top midfielder.

I think there could be a lot of Can/ can be going on in the next while :pac:

• Advertisement

He was twice charged with assault that leads me to believe all is was in trouble before and was heading the wrong way if he didn't change his life around.

I rememebr Kess saying he was seen in Liverpool hanging out in the wrong areas and mixing with people who were know good for him.

What we forget is these guys are millionaires nearly before they are 18 if they don't have the right people around them alot of bad things can happen.

I remember that also, he had come to a cross-roads in his life with a young kid and he himself was just a kid too.. he realised what was important and knuckled down, he's got a lot of balls that lad. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rumour ilori is off on loan to deportivo, good move. I would expect a clear out of defenders soon enough when manquillo and hopefully moreno signs. Robinson and kellys time at the club is probably coming to an end. Be interesting to see what happens with agger/toure and coates. Ideally we will keep one to be 4th choice behind sakho/lovren and skrtel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tiago Ilori off to Deportivo de La Coruña subject to Liverpool signing it off.

Kelly for the sake of his own career needs to move on. Robinson I don't think will make the grade for a CL team.

Agger looks like he is on his way and I think everyone will wish him the besta nd I hope he gets his move to Barca.

I would keep Coates if he wants to stay he has had a good pre season and has in the past showing good potential as a footballing CB.

Sell Renia as well.

Moreno, Manquillo, Flanagan, Enrique, Johnson, Skrtel, Coates, Sakho & Lovren.

I'd like to add a RB like Clyne to those and I'd be happy enough with those players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He was twice charged with assaultwhich leads me to believe he was in trouble before and was heading the wrong way if he didn't change his life around.

I rememebr Kess saying he was seen in Liverpool hanging out in the wrong areas and mixing with people who were not good for him.

He needed to avoid hanging around with liars, that's about it. Morrison was convicted of witness intimidation and has been unwilling to dedicate himself to football as well. Sterling never a problem on the field or in training which is a big difference. Morrison doesn't really seem that bothered about football.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd like to add a RB like Clyne to those and I'd be happy enough with those players.

Surely Johnson, Manquillo, Flanagan + Clyne would be overkill at RB?

Kelly for the sake of his own career needs to move on. Robinson I don't think will make the grade for a CL team.

Agger looks like he is on his way and I think everyone will wish him the besta nd I hope he gets his move to Barca.

I would keep Coates if he wants to stay he has had a good pre season and has in the past showing good potential as a footballing CB.

Sell Renia as well.

Yep I would have Clyne or similar instead of Johnson, get his wages off the books and his apathy / lack of focus / lack of confidence off the pitch.

I would wish him well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Clyne in would be Johnson out I imagine. Not that Clyne is being signed as Soton have taken out a restraining order on Ian Ayre.

I can't see Manquillo being a starter.

Flanagan can be used as cover for both left and right.

Johnson well I won't go there :pac:

Clyne would be my choice if we went looking for another right back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Augmerson wrote: »
    Roy Curtis....Jesus. How is he a journo?

In the Gerrard retires from International thread TheDoc posted the Curtis position on Gerrard almost verbatim. He is a journalist because football fans are generally not the most objective or discerning bunch, and agendas and strong opinions will always find a home along partisan lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Tiago Ilori off to Deportivo de La Coruña subject to Liverpool signing it off.
    Season long loan before people start giving out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

garra wrote: »
    I take it you are not a very good gambler?

Don't gamble with money myself.

Balotelli in particular will likely become less of a gamble as he gets older and matures a bit.

Losing Suarez is a massive deal. He causes chaos on the pitch and it is very hard to replace a player who has that effect when he gets on the ball.

If he was a CB or MF, I would be a whole lot more hesitant about Balotelli but given he is a striker, I really do think he is worth the risk once you factor in just what he can bring.

I can't believe I'd forgotten the chemistry between Coutinho and Sturridge while Suarez was out. Those 2 were on the exact same wavelength and played very well together, looking forward to seeing more of it this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dortmund bet some team 10-0 earlier.

Next Sunday should be fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't gamble with money myself.

Balotelli in particular will likely become less of a gamble as he gets older and matures a bit.

Losing Suarez is a massive deal. He causes chaos on the pitch and it is very hard to replace a player who has that effect when he gets on the ball.

If he was a CB or MF, I would be a whole lot more hesitant about Balotelli but given he is a striker, I really do think he is worth the risk once you factor in just what he can bring.
    Agree completely. If we're going to try and replace Suarez, we're not going to do it with a player like Remy. When you look at Sturridge and Coutinho, both were players who had not done the business at their respective clubs. Balotelli is another one of these players, except we know that he has world class ability. If Rodgers can straighten him out, then we have a player who could be a potential legend at this club and may even go close to replacing Suarez.

• Advertisement

Agree completely. If we're going to try and replace Suarez, we're not going to do it with a player like Remy. When you look at Sturridge and Coutinho, both were players who had not done the business at their respective clubs. Balotelli is another one of these players, except we know that he has world class ability. If Rodgers can straighten him out, then we have a player who could be a potential legend at this club and may even go close to replacing Suarez.

I hope you don't mind me asking and I don't mean any offence but what has he done throughout his career to justify this kind of praise? He has always looked a very ordinary player who has a great game every now and again. His off field antics far outweigh his on field performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Balotelli would be a terrible influence on our team. He doesn't take the sport seriously, he's clearly more concerned about dollar signs, and he couldn't be a worse fit for our system. No thanks, I'd rather stick with our 2 strikers than this clown coming in.

I hope you don't mind me asking and I don't mean any offence but what has he done throughout his career to justify this kind of praise? He has always looked a very ordinary player who has a great game every now and again. His off field antics far outweigh his on field performances.

You're entitled to your opinionI suppose, but saying Balotelli has always looked 'very ordinary' is pure nonsense. It has always been clear that he is an immense talent (physically and technically) with screws loose.

People on here talk about youth and value all the time. The prices being quoted for Balotelli represent huge value. Most definitely a risk I'd be willing to take anyway. Having that X Factor in your squad can be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Rodgers just said we are not in for Balotelli. End of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Rodgers just said we are not in for Balotelli. End of!

Thank God, and source?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinionI suppose, but saying Balotelli has always looked 'very ordinary' is pure nonsense. It has always been clear that he is an immense talent (physically and technically) with screws loose.

People on here talk about youth and value all the time. The prices being quoted for Balotelli represent huge value. Most definitely a risk I'd be willing to take anyway. Having that X Factor in your squad can be huge.

14m on Balotelli or 14m on Konoplyanka? It's no contest in my mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

martyos121 wrote: »
    Balotelli would be a terrible influence on our team. He doesn't take the sport seriously, he's clearly more concerned about dollar signs, and he couldn't be a worse fit for our system. No thanks, I'd rather stick with our 2 strikers than this clown coming in.

All his flaws he has many, The bit in bold is 100% not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Ballotelli may be getting close to the realisation that he's going to end up somewhat unbuyable and finish up in a mid-table Italian team, if he doesn't sort out his act soon.

And part of me can see that it might be a good time to take a chance on him now due to this.

But his attitude as a professional has been disgraceful thus far, and great man managers such as Mourihno have failed with him, so you just have to wonder if he's beyond repair.

14m on Balotelli or 14m on Konoplyanka? It's no contest in my mind.

lol, as I say - you're entitled to an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Id take Balotelli for 14m in a heartbeat. It's pure moneyball; his ability and potential are huge, and even if he's hot and cold, he'll outperform other strikers for the same money. We'd probably have to give Steve Peters a raise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Perhaps Liverpool would have a hugely positive influence on him??

Lads, if we signed him for 14m and he reverts back to type what do we do then? He could end up sitting at the club for years being a drain on expenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Is that Hulk lad still available, throw £45m at it, now's the time to get aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lads, if we signed him for 14m and he reverts back to type what do we do then? He could end up sitting at the club for years being a drain on expenses

Even if he reverted to type, I'll be delighted for 14m, tbh. His 'type' is below, FYI:

Man City 10/11: 17 games, 6 goals
    Man City 11/12: 23 games, 13 goals
    Milan 12/13: 13 games, 12 goals
    Milan 13/14: 30 games, 14 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Thank God, and source?

He just did a presser with Hendo on LFCTV GO

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement