Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd like an upgrade on Mig if the truth be told.

He's better than current Reina but still a bit off Reina at his peak.

He'll need to move up a level this season.

Reina at his peak was class.

I don't think Mignolet is as ad bas what people are making out, let see how he gets on next season with a hopefully a more settled defense in front of him.

Having a proper defense in front of him would certainly be beneficial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Rodgers from the Echo article:
    “Yes. Getting another striker in is crucial for us,” he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

For some reason I decided to download Being Liverpool last night and watched a couple of episodes.....Brendan Rodgers says 'Ok' a lot in his team talks!

That's my 'Bank Holiday Nugget' for ye all today!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

kfallon wrote: »
    For some reason I decided to download Being Liverpool last night and watched a couple of episodes.....Brendan Rodgers says 'Ok' a lot in his team talks!

That's my 'Bank Holiday Nugget' for ye all today!

He also uses the word outstanding at least once every 4 sentences
    FYI Brendan, the weather is never outstanding
    But I couldnt care less what he says because the results speak for themselves

He also uses the word outstanding at least once every 4 sentences
    FYI Brendan, the weather is never outstanding
    But I couldnt care less what he says because the results speak for themselves

I would say he prob doesn't use either word that much anymore, it may have been just a few nerves at the start of his tenure.

Have to say it was very poor form to thrust a warts n' all documentary on a new manager like that, he was prob under enough pressure as it was without having to deal with that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Just read about the Roy Curtis article. What an absolute hack.

joe123 wrote: »
    Just read about the Roy Curtis article. What an absolute hack.

Lets not even give him a namecheck!

Lets just buy Falcao, he looked the business yesterday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Have to agree, would hope that its a case of he needed a season to find his feet and that his second season will be a lot more impressive.
    I posted this here before but this is simply appalling.

Keeper-Errors.png

He was single handedly at fault for 10% of our goals last season!

As a follow up Reina v Mingolet

pr-sm-errors.jpg

That is a bit unfair. The start of last season, we struggled to get the results. Got them yes but it was a panic. Only for mignolet, we would have lost/drawn a whole lot more games. He pulled off quite a few last minute stops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

billy2012 wrote: »
    Lets just buy Falcao, he looked the business yesterday!!

God, if only. There's your 30 goal a season replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reus will be in Liverpool Sunday, reckon we'll just go balls out to impress him ;)

10501747_777967428920087_2669182956950242728_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Well thats my new computer screensaver sorted
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrghh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

He scares the life outta me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

billy2012 wrote: »
    10501747_777967428920087_2669182956950242728_n.jpg

I'm disappointed he didn't nail down a starting position for us, he always impressed me with Lyon.

I really can see Sakho and Lovren being beast for us next season.

Moreno defensively is a slight worry IMO, hence why 3 at the back wouldn't surprise me. There is no doubt that LWB would suit his game alot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Vicxas wrote: »
    Reus will be in Liverpool Sunday, reckon we'll just go balls out to impress him ;)

We'll leave the balls out to lvg he's got previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Re Mig.
    If there's one weakness I'd like to see improvement on its coming for crosses. Heart in mouth stuff at times last season when he'd come for a corner. His hesitancy can't be good for defenders either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I honestly couldn't care about tonight's result at all . Let's hope everyone that plays makes it through and there are no fresh injury worries at all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I honestly couldn't care about tonight's result at all . Let's hope everyone that plays makes it through and there are no fresh injury worries at all !

First fan I've seen say that :pac: very much a fully competitive, derby-like fixture tonight imo. Can't wait for it!!

First fan I've seen say that :pac: very much a fully competitive, derby-like fixture tonight imo. Can't wait for it!!

I want a win on the 17th more then tonight . At this stage the league and champions league are more important to me anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I want a win on the 17th more then tonight . At this stage the league and champions league are more important to me anyway .

True that. Would still love some early bragging rights over United tho

I have also been told that we do have an interest in Lavezzi but wages could be a problem. Rodgers likes him. #LFC

— Dean martin (@gerrardnum8) August 4, 2014

Hmmmmmm, Twitter salt at the ready

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I have also been told that we do have an interest in Lavezzi but wages could be a problem. Rodgers likes him. #LFC

I wouldn't trust Dean Martin. I've seen a film about him and he was always gargled. Great singer, ****e itk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Couldn't give a ****e about the game tonight. It will have no bearing on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wouldn't trust Dean Martin. I've seen a film about him and he was always gargled. Great singer, ****e itk.

Worse again - his contact within the club is Jerry Lewis! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

NukaCola wrote: »
    Couldn't give a ****e about the game tonight. It will have no bearing on anything.

Don't get this attitude tbh , fair enough its only the final of a pre season tournament but it would be nice to win it and especially against one of our main rivals for the league/champs league spots. Would be good to bring Utd back down to earth and put a seed of doubt into their mindset for the start of the season.

NukaCola wrote: »

Liverpool against UTD is always a big game for me regardless if it's preseason or not. I thought most fans would of been the same. Maybe not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'd like to see players in the shop window and players who might have a chance of pushing into the first team play. I don't watch football for bragging rights, if someone wants to take comfort in a makey uppey pre-season win they might end up with egg on their face at the end of the season, applies to both sets of fans.

The only value for us is growing our US fan base, fitness and the chance to get a good look at some of the maybes and sell on some of the lads who wont feature in BRs plans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nest summer I want to see Liverpool stay at home and play all the NWBs before the new season -

Preston NE - Shankly Cup

Bury
    Bolton Wandrs
    Blackpool
    Blackburn Rvrs
    Burnley

plus one glamour tie against a continental side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Nest summer I want to see Liverpool stay at home and play all the NWBs before the new season -

Preston NE - Shankly Cup

Bury
    Bolton Wandrs
    Blackpool
    Blackburn Rvrs
    Burnley

plus one glamour tie against a continental side

Isle of Man FC

True that. Would still love some early bragging rights over United tho

Ah don't get me wrong I would like to see Liverpool beat them also but cementing a champions league place next season and a good run in the champions league this season is more important . So please no injuries tonight .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

cant believe people are saying they dont care about the game tonight. its still liverpool v manchester united. wouldnt it be good to a united side whos gaining huge momentum under van gaal? wouldnt it be good for our players to gain some confidence instead of losing a game to one of our biggest rivals?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    cant believe people are saying they dont care about the game tonight. its still liverpool v manchester united. wouldnt it be good to a united side whos gaining huge momentum under van gaal? wouldnt it be good for our players to gain some confidence instead of losing a game to one of our biggest rivals?

I care as much about it as the Milan and City matches, i. e, not at all.

Win lose or draw it doesn't matter one bit

I care as much about it as the Milan and City matches, i. e, not at all.

Win lose or draw it doesn't matter one bit

would you rather win the game and gain even a little confidence or lose to your biggest rivals? i know its a pointless tournament. being so close to the season, id like to win.

i am really loving the fact we played top teams this pre-season..dortmund to come also!..we usually play malaysian XI's and other mickey mouse teams

would you rather win the game and gain even a little confidence or lose to your biggest rivals? i know its a pointless tournament. being so close to the season, id like to win.

i am really loving the fact we played top teams this pre-season..dortmund to come also!..we usually play malaysian XI's and other mickey mouse teams

Couldn't care less about the result. Just want no injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If we win I'll be quite happy i suppose...won't lose the run of myself tho. If we lose I won't be cutting my wrists or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I don't see why people are saying they couldn't care less. Everyone understands it's a pre season friendly and getting through the game with a clean bill of health is the priority, but it doesn't mean I don't want Liverpool to win. I've been celebrating their goals so far in pre season, and this game has a little bit more to it imo. It's a final and it's against our biggest rivals before a season where there's question marks over both sides credentials. Id ****ing love a win, would be a great way to round off our American tour. I also disagree that itll have no bearing on our season, it'd be a big confidence boost if both sides were full strength and we won comfortably. It doesn't put points on the board for the upcoming season but a win would certainly feel better than a defeat. It would also be nice to take a bit of wind out of the united sails, id say the whole club is feeling sky high right now given how well their pre season has gone and how good a manager they have compared to last seasons atrocity. A glance in the united thread tells you their boards.ie fan base are certainly sky high, again that alone counts for nothing, but I'm sure the feeling in the utd camp is also sky high right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I be fairly concerned if we're to lose by a few goals, not so much if its the usual dodgy refereeing decision. All in all, I want a win.

• Advertisement

Couldn't care less about the result. Just want no injuries.

surely you want a proper tough game to prepare for the challenging season ahead? we may aswell not play and not be match fit if the players share your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

There is both a cup and substantial prize money on offer here - of course you should want a win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Umaro wrote: »
    There is both a cup and substantial prize money on offer here - of course you should want a win!

What's the reported prize money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Also last season real madrid started the season by winning the icc and finished it by winning the cl, perhaps it's an omen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

surely you want a proper tough game to prepare for the challenging season ahead? we may aswell not play and not be match fit if the players share your opinion

The game against Dortmund next Sunday is a more important game as far as preseason games go this summer.

It will be the first game this summer that most, but not all, of the new signings will be able to be started in along with the most likely first team starters that we already have.

The Man U game is as important as the AC Milan, Roma, or the Man City games. As it will be a preseason game against a team of good standard. Good for honing fitness as it will be against good players.

It is not a do or die game, and it is not a game that will matter a damn if we lose it.

Now I would like to win the game, but as there is nothing of worth at stake, and certainly no real bragging rights at stake, then as long as the Liverpool players get a good run out and avoid injury I am going to be happy.

We can go do or die against Man U when league points are at stake or if it is a proper cup match. Some pre season game in America? Not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Umaro wrote: »

The cup means nothing, absolutely zero. Some made up pre-season nonsense worth less than a charity shield.

A pre-season win against Utd or vice versa Liverpool, albeit inconsequential, would please some fans so would be slightly more valuable than nothing.

We're already 2m up in prize money but the real value is expanding the supporter base. The actually prize money isn't going to make or break either club the season financially or from a sporting perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jackson Martinez buyout clause has been reportedly lowered to £27m down from £50m in his new contract.

Bony at £20m or Martinez at £27m I know which one I'd want the club all over.

Jackson Martinez buyout clause has been reportedly lowered to £27m down from £50m in his new contract.

Sign him up?

Sign him up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would be very happy to see the club try for him, but would have to wonder if Martinez would want to move to a club where he would be playing second fiddle.

• Advertisement

A good workout is all that it's about. Getting fit and avoiding injuries is the name of the game.

Never cared much for pre season the last 20 plus years, not gonna start now just because of the opposition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement