Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Actually just thinking a bit more about Martinez for £27m.

Think I would prefer to take a lesser figure and see Aubameyang at Dortmund or Son Heung-min at Leverkusen would be gettable. Both can play in a number of attacking positions, and could see either being able to slot into the team at the same time as Sturridge also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's going to be more competitive than your average pre-season game. Of course the result won't have any bearing on anything but you will gauge more from the performances in this game than any other friendly fixture.

You can instruct players to take it easy but there will be an overriding will to win the game on both sides.
    The Community Shield has thrown up some cracking games over the years because more often than not it's between 2 rival clubs. I'm expecting a proper game tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

#LFC & Dortmund are interested in Jackson Martinez, who has a €40m buy out clause, as a replacement for Lewandowski & Suarez. (Marca)

Looks like ye got there before me
    Outrageous pace, so prolific
    Please let this be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Meanwhile the Express continue to nail their mast to Lavezzi

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/495538/Paris-Saint-Germain-tell-Liverpool-to-pay-16m-for-Ezequiel-Lavezzi
    Reports last week suggested that Lavezzi, formerly of Napoli, is open to the idea of a return to Serie A, with Juventus, Inter and Milan also interested in his services.

However, that hasn't deterred Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers, who is eager to improve his squad ahead of this season's Champions League campaign.

And now reports in Italy claim that a bid of £16m will be enough to land Lavezzi this summer

Yeah right. Probably the same people who reported Baliotelli was being signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hoki wrote: »
    Don't get this attitude tbh , fair enough its only the final of a pre season tournament but it would be nice to win it and especially against one of our main rivals for the league/champs league spots. Would be good to bring Utd back down to earth and put a seed of doubt into their mindset for the start of the season.
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    cant believe people are saying they dont care about the game tonight. its still liverpool v manchester united. wouldnt it be good to a united side whos gaining huge momentum under van gaal? wouldnt it be good for our players to gain some confidence instead of losing a game to one of our biggest rivals?

I honestly dont care about the result tonight. Another chance for fringe players to impress and others to get their fitness up.

If people believe that a bad result for either team will effect them for the coming season then I think your getting a bit carried away. We drew with Manchester City and nobody cared really.....so we should care now because its Manchester United in a preseason game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would be very happy to see the club try for him, but would have to wonder if Martinez would want to move to a club where he would be playing second fiddle.

Second fiddle is one way of looking at it with any striker coming in.

Another way to look at is top class competition for the striking position with may rasie both players games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Looks like ye got there before me
    Outrageous pace, so prolific
    Please let this be true.
    You talking about Martinez? He has decent pace but isn't lightening. Very good striker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Not sure why everyone is saying a new striker coming in would be playing second fiddle; the main formation used last year was the 4-4-2 diamond. Granted I think Rodgers does favour the 4-3-3 by default but having a second top striker might change his mind again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NukaCola wrote: »
    I honestly dont care about the result tonight. Another chance for fringe players to impress and others to get their fitness up.

If people believe that a bad result for either team will effect them for the coming season then I think your getting a bit carried away. We drew with Manchester City and nobody cared really.....so we should care now because its Manchester United in a preseason game?

The American's did, they don't allow draws!

Second fiddle is one way of looking at it with any striker coming in.

Another way to look at is top class competition for the striking position with may rasie both players games.

We as supporters would look at it as the latter, but would have to think that the player himself would not want a move to a team where he is not being bought to go straight into the first team.

Would boil down, imo of course, to whether a player like Jackson Martinez, who turns 28 this year, would want to move to a club where he would be starting off as the number two striker.

Maybe he would, and he would have enough confidence in his own abilities that he would think/expect that he could make himself the number one choice, but think that an Aubameyang or a Son Heung-min might be more gettable (and at a lower price) along with being a little more willing to tak ethe number two slot at the club.

Course if we did get Martinez I would be bloody delighted with the signing.

• Advertisement

Milkers wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is saying a new striker coming in would be playing second fiddle; the main formation used last year was the 4-4-2 diamond. Granted I think Rodgers does favour the 4-3-3 by default but having a second top striker might change his mind again.

That is a good point. Rodgers could well want to go with two strikers, and as such would need a player of quality to partner Sturridge.

My own gut feeling is that Rodgers will go with one striker more often than not, but that the formation around/behind that striker is what will be flexible. It might be wingers, wide forwards, a second striker, an AM and so on that get used from game to game alongside/behind Sturridge rather than him having a regular partner as part of an attacking duo.

Rodgers played Suarez and Sturridge together when he could, but Suarez is not exactly an out and out striker. The guy pretty much has everything in his attacking play and he would roam around the attacking third with the confidence of a guy who knew he could excel anywhere in that third of the pitch.

My one fear regards Sturridge is not that he won't score goals it's his injury history.

If he get injured and as much as I think Lambert is a clever buy I would much prefer someone along the lines of Martinez at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

My one fear regards Sturridge is not that he won't score goals it's his injury history.

If he get injured and as much as I think Lambert is a clever buy I would much prefer someone along the lines of Martinez at the club.

I can't say I've seen much of Martinez. Slightly concerned he couldn't get in the Columbian world cup team though, especially considering the guy who was playing was pretty average.

Fescue wrote: »
    I can't say I've seen much of Martinez. Slightly concerned he couldn't get in the Columbian world cup team though, especially considering the guy who was playing was pretty average.

He did get in the Columbian team and he scored twice in the World Cup as well.

He has also scored 60 goals in 90 games for Porto.

He is an out and out CF I really couldn't see him playing either side of a front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Very happy we have added quality to our defense. Dejan Lovren and Alberto Moreno will really improve our squad. Don't know a whole lot about Javier Manquillo but a bit more competition for Johnson and Flanagan will be decent.

Hard to know what type of striker that Rodgers is looking for. With Loic Remy he could play up top or on the wing a little. Someone like Lavezzi would be great. Marco Reus will be the icing on the cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We'd get limnited resale value after 3 to 4 seasons and for that reason I think we won't bid for him. We don't make those sort of signings anymore, 27+ yrs old with a high fee.

Not the FSG way.

He did get in the Columbian team and he scored twice in the World Cup as well.

He has also scored 60 goals in 90 games for Porto.

He is an out and out CF I really couldn't see him playing either side of a front three.

He wasn't first choice though for Columbia but I guess there could be some other issues behind that. Would probably opt for Bony on the basis he has proved himself in the Premier League, plus he is 2/3 years younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kess73 wrote: »
    That is a good point. Rodgers could well want to go with two strikers, and as such would need a player of quality to partner Sturridge.

My own gut feeling is that Rodgers will go with one striker more often than not, but that the formation around/behind that striker is what will be flexible. It might be wingers, wide forwards, a second striker, an AM and so on that get used from game to game alongside/behind Sturridge rather than him having a regular partner as part of an attacking duo.

Rodgers played Suarez and Sturridge together when he could, but Suarez is not exactly an out and out striker. The guy pretty much has everything in his attacking play and he would roam around the attacking third with the confidence of a guy who knew he could excel anywhere in that third of the pitch.

Said similar a while back, I do think Rodgers would like the option of going 2 up front at times, basically plenty of choices which shows why he often goes for versatile players.

Last year was often a case of getting Suarez and Sturridge on the pitch with the best formations to suit, often limited because of injuries and squad depth. Not that simplistic obviously but it's a bit like LVG, get Mata, RVP and Rooney on the pitch as effectively as possible and work from there!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Said similar a while back, I do think Rodgers would like the option of going 2 up front at times, basically plenty of choices which shows why he often goes for versatile players.

Last year was often a case of getting Suarez and Sturridge on the pitch with the best formations to suit, often limited because of injuries and squad depth. Not that simplistic obviously but it's a bit like LVG, get Mata, RVP and Rooney on the pitch as effectively as possible and work from there!

I think Sterling could be effective as a second striker behind Sturridge. Let him drift about finding space and running at defenders. His finishing is getting better also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Not so fussed about Bony nor Martinez.

I'm with Kess, that if we're going to get another Striker in, it would have to be someone like Abumeyang or Lacazette.

Players that can play out wide if Sturridge is in, or Central if he is Injured.

Though it'd be nice to have our own Dzeko in the Team. We sadly can't Waste that Kind of Money for someone that Sits on the Bench, for the Majority of our Fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No doubt i'll get scoffed at, but I actually reckon for the right wages and fee, Hulk would be a good acquisition. Back in the 30million quoted days it would obviously have been stupid, but at ~10m, he'd tick a lot of boxes. Extremely experienced, knows where the goal is, and can play centrally or wide if needed. Zenit bought Rondon a few months ago too, so might be willing to let him go.

Played in a decent attacking system he'd be a hell of a lot more effective than he was for the laborious Brazilians, and even as it was he often looked one of their better players. I have a lot of time for Hulk to be honest - not always pretty, but he's ok with doing the dirty work, and I reckon he'd be happy to get the **** out of Russia now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Not so fussed about Bony nor Martinez.

I'm with Kess, that if we're going to get another Striker in, it would have to be someone like Abumeyang or Lacazette.

Players that can play out wide if Sturridge is in, or Central if he is Injured.

Though it'd be nice to have our own Dzeko in the Team. We sadly can't Waste that Kind of Money for someone that Sits on the Bench, for the Majority of our Fixtures.

Could Lambert not be our Dzeko?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Obviously they wont sell him but jovetic would suit us perfectly.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    No doubt i'll get scoffed at, but I actually reckon for the right wages and fee, Hulk would be a good acquisition. Back in the 30million quoted days it would obviously have been stupid, but at ~10m, he'd tick a lot of boxes. Extremely experienced, knows where the goal is, and can play centrally or wide if needed. Zenit bought Rondon a few months ago too, so might be willing to let him go.

Played in a decent attacking system he'd be a hell of a lot more effective than he was for the laborious Brazilians, and even as it was he often looked one of their better players. I have a lot of time for Hulk to be honest - not always pretty, but he's ok with doing the dirty work, and I reckon he'd be happy to get the **** out of Russia now.

That'll sort out our free kick situation too.

During Pre-Season it's been Hendo taking the frees, nearly all of them have hit the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Could Lambert not be our Dzeko?

Even with his Goalscoring Record in the Prem, he gets Scoffed at.

He's simply not Glamorous enough, for some here. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

His hair is dreadful, tbh:pac:

I think the word is English :D

Before people jump on my back, I mean Lambert is the most English looking bloke of a footballer I've ever seen. I can't explain anymore :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

The Lads.
    10563104_778077375575759_8175273755607424338_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Suarez ban has been upheld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^ = Lambert!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

billy2012 wrote: »
    The Lads.

Looks a bit creepy with no shadows. Especially Rush.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

billy2012 wrote: »
    The Lads.
    ... off to a Reservoir Dogs themed party. They'll make Robbie be Mr Pink.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Suarez ban has been upheld.

By FIFA.

Now he goes to CAS to try and get it overturned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

By FIFA.

Now he goes to CAS to try and get it overturned.

In future i plan to read the articles with 'Breaking News'. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Has there been any word on who's available for selection tonight? Did I hear sturridge has flown home already? What about markovic? I presume we're not likely to see him in action given he was deemed unfit two days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MR NINE wrote: »
    Has there been any word on who's available for selection tonight? Did I hear sturridge has flown home already? What about markovic? I presume we're not likely to see him in action given he was deemed unfit two days ago

It has been a bit disappointing this pre-season. Only really seen Can and Lambert of the new signings. Suppose we'll see Lovren against Dortmund.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

K-9 wrote: »
    It has been a bit disappointing this pre-season. Only really seen Can and Lambert of the new signings. Suppose we'll see Lovren against Dortmund.

Yeah I was hoping to see more of Markovic, a shame he got injured. For some reason I have a horrible feeling he might go the way of Aquilani/Lamela etc this season where he misses chunks through injury and fails to nail down a starting place as a result. I'm basing this on pretty much nothing, just a wild pessimistic hunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Sturridge is missing again and markovic??

Is that any talk of their return.. A bit worrying having Sturridge, lallana and markovic injured already on this tour.

Some of the Spanish media saying that the Moreno deal is now done (medical allowing of course) and will be announced in the next day or so. The clubs supposedly agreed on a transfer fee + add ons earlier today.

viper006 wrote: »
    Sturridge is missing again and markovic??

Is that any talk of their return.. A bit worrying having Sturridge, lallana and markovic injured already on this tour.

Rodgers said the other day that Sturridge was expected back for the Dortmund game this coming weekend.

• Advertisement

Marokovic is still in america so one would hope hes fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Apparently this is Javier Manquillo at John Lennon. Some lad spotted him.

Know nothing about him, but deal seems on anyway.
    (sorry if posted already, im just back from cinema. Went to see the new Planet of the Apes, i'd give it 6/10, some very slow bits but good cgi. Had nachos, with salsa and extra jalepenos, washed down with a large coke. Good evening)

Anyway here's the pic !!

BuNmOLNIcAAYmJE.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Slattsy wrote: »

Know nothing about him, but deal seems on anyway (sorry if posted already, im just back from cinema. Went to see the new Planet of the Apes, i'd give it 6/10, some very slow bits but good cgi. Had nachos, with salsa and extra jalepenos, washed down with a large coke. Good evening) Anyway here's the pic !!

BuNmOLNIcAAYmJE.jpg

Really? A solid 8.5/10 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Slattsy wrote: »

Know nothing about him, but deal seems on anyway.
    (sorry if posted already, im just back from cinema. Went to see the new Planet of the Apes, i'd give it 6/10, some very slow bits but good cgi. Had nachos, with salsa and extra jalepenos, washed down with a large coke. Good evening)

Anyway here's the pic !!

BuNmOLNIcAAYmJE.jpg

They don't look like apes. I call shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is he any use ??

Few papers running cou is in line for a new contract which is good, they mention flanno hendo gerrard and suso too. Coates has hinted he may leave too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Looks a bit creepy with no shadows. Especially Rush.

The lad on the far right of that pic looks even creepier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya good one Slattsy... I won't be fooled that easily.

I'm going to wait until I see some leaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hopefully Rodgers first trophy tonight. Very Nervous:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any lineups yet?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement