Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Slattsy wrote: »
    Apparently this is Javier Manquillo at John Lennon.

BuNmOLNIcAAYmJE.jpg

Lennon is looking well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Liverpool: Mignolet, Kelly, Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Lambert, Sterling

Subs:
    Jones, Toure, Coates, Lucas, Can, Coady, Ibe, Phillips, Robinson, Peterson, Suso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Liverpool: Mignolet, Kelly, Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Lambert, Sterling

Friendly my ass!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

klose wrote: »
    Few papers running cou is in line for a new contract which is good, they mention flanno hendo gerrard and suso too. Coates has hinted he may leave too.

Anything to back any of this up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Would love to have seen Can play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find google great for that!

murpho999 wrote: »
    I find google great for that!

Google shmoogle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good to see Kelly getting a game, crosses fingers!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Do yourself a favour & either 'Like' the Liverpool Fc-The Echo facebook page or else bookmark The Echo & you'll be right up to speed ;)

K-9 wrote: »
    Good to see Kelly getting a game, crosses fingers!

I hate to say this, but I think Johnson offers more than Kelly at full back. Kelly should be shipped out to some premier league team on loan, let them try him out at cb for a season.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Friendly my ass!!:D

Easy tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

An Irishman running Liverpool and his first trophy could be the Guinness Cup. You couldn't make this up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

What channel is this match on lads?

Edit: Got it!! Sky Sports One!!

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    What channel is this match on lads?

Ben

Sky sports 1 pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hope Sterling clatters Valencia tonight, some unfinished business there from back in June.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Hope Sterling clatters Valencia tonight, some unfinished business there from back in June.

It'll be spicy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Liverpool have a boring style of football apparently. Vintage match thread.

If that doesn't get locked I'll eat my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sakho is playing decent tonight as is coutinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I think he was one of these new american supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sakho been superb as have Sterling and Coutinho. Lambert doesn't suit our style of play to start games.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sakho been superb as have Sterling and Coutinho. Lambert doesn't suit our style of play to start games.

Lambert will be an impact sub for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Not a bad half. Who's that no.21 for utd? Seems to be only on the pitch to try and hurt players, done nothing with the ball. Sterling looking as good as ever, should have had two penos.

MD1990 wrote: »

Kind of see why he came back early, he'll come good with time. Still need that striker Rodgers wants.

Coutinho is just my new man crush.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kind of see why he came back early, he'll come good with time. Still need that striker Rodgers wants.

Coutinho is just my new man crush.

Have to agree. Serious man crush on that lad right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sterling is the most exciting liverpool player since suarez. Defenders are terrified of him. Johnson as usual is shocking, please just tear up his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Fooled myself into saying I wouldn't stay up for this, but its manu liverpool :)
    Sakho and the count doing well, sterling just being sterling, awesome. Ibe should shake it up a bit when he comes on. Really missing a link up man to the forwards, I guess Lalanna and Markovic if fit could fill the role.
    Lambert looking a bit off the pace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

rob316 wrote: »
    Johnson as usual is shocking
    I don't think he's playing that poorly and he did play a lovely through ball for the peno.
    rob316 wrote: »
    please just tear up his contract.
    And hand him circa £5m so he can join another club on a free and earn another £2m to £3m this year from them??

BenThere wrote: »
    I don't think he's playing that poorly and he did play a lovely through ball for the peno.

And hand him circa £5m so he can join another club on a free and earn another £2m to £3m this year from them??

Please let West Ham come in for him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Ibe is no right winger, looks really uncomfortable trying to go past players on the outside right.

Ibe is no right winger, looks really uncomfortable trying to go past players on the outside right.

He's no right playing, sure he's only a minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Desperate need of a striker..also need to replace Johnson asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pretty good for the first 60 minutes. Should have been out of sight really. Had a pen not given. Conceded two quick goals just after we missed two or three great chances ourselves and were completely on top.

Last 30 minutes it got a bit messy with all the substitutions. Not to mention we had no striker up front.

I could do with seeing a lot less of Glen Johnson though this season.

Looking forward to seeing our two new Spanish full-backs and getting a good striker in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Have a go at Johnson all we like, and i am not a fan of his either, but to be fair, Kelly is equally as poor. In possession i've rarely seen a right full look so awkward and basically gives the ball away 2/4 times. Not good enough.

Lambert - i wonder how he will fit into our system Gerard was kind to give him that pass and he just looks "heavy"? I fear if we lost Sterling what would happen.

Still just pre-season, no need to panic. We do thrive on a fast attacking style and guys like Heno being like bulls on the field. Can't really be the same in a pre-season friendly. We have a bit to go before we even look match fit.

Coutinho is going to have a great season, i can just feel it - i'd expect a few Coutinho assists for Sterling this season they'll be lethal!

Hope this is a wakeup call for Brendan though to get us a decent striker before the market closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

With Sturridge, Lovren, Markovic, Manquilo and hopefully Moreno and another attacker, we're in grand shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think I read somewhere Can /can play RB I would have him over Johnson if its a way just to have him on the pitch.

With Sturridge, Lovren, Markovic, Manquilo and hopefully Moreno and another attacker, we're in grand shape.

Yeah I'm pretty confident we will be well up there again this season. Need that other striker though for when Sturridge isn't there. And to play with him occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm now even more hoping this Dani Alves and Manquillo as right back options thing is true!

Just not Johnson. Seriously, how has he gotten so bad - was very close to being the best fullback in the league only 2 years ago!

• Advertisement

Johnson might of just shaded Kelly on performance tonight, on overall I would rather Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

We need a striker Lambert isnt good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lol sky pundits talking like the window is shut. Rodgers has said ten times we need another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Lambert more of an impact sub, to offer another side to our game. In desperate need of a good striker though. Remy would've been perfect imo

mikeym wrote: »
    We need a striker Lambert isnt good enough.

Think he'll be fine for certain situations (coming off the bench, starting some cup games). Big difference in mobility though when compared to Sturridge and Suarez last season.

Have a go at Johnson all we like, and i am not a fan of his either, but to be fair, Kelly is equally as poor. In possession i've rarely seen a right full look so awkward and basically gives the ball away 2/4 times. Not good enough.

Lambert - i wonder how he will fit into our system Gerard was kind to give him that pass and he just looks "heavy"? I fear if we lost Sterling what would happen.

Still just pre-season, no need to panic. We do thrive on a fast attacking style and guys like Heno being like bulls on the field. Can't really be the same in a pre-season friendly. We have a bit to go before we even look match fit.

Coutinho is going to have a great season, i can just feel it - i'd expect a few Coutinho assists for Sterling this season they'll be lethal!

Hope this is a wakeup call for Brendan though to get us a decent striker before the market closes.

Seriously though, when we start comparing Kelly to Johnson that's no reflection on poor injury prone Martin. It's starting to get a bit worrying that Glen could still be our first choice RB. He's usually decent at LB but poor tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

That was an interesting game that highlighted our current deficiencies and what needs to be addressed before the season starts. We controlled the game for ~55mins. Two quick goals against and we needed a shake up. We took off our only out and out striker and replaced him with Ibe. After this we never really looked like scoring again.

The one chance we did have was the Henderson cross and there was nobody there to tap it in.

At Lambert's age I still wouldn't be getting on his back just yet. He will probably need right up until the season starts to look get back fully fit. He looked off the pace and his first touch wasn't right.

Another striker is definitely needed. We know this. Rodgers knows this. We will get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think I read somewhere Can /can play RB I would have him over Johnson if its a way just to have him on the pitch.

He played a lot of games at left back last season for leverkusen apparently. Ive no idea how he did when playing there though. Hes right footed so i presume hed be capable of playing right back as well. Its certainly an option, he could only be an upgrade on Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone got a link to that picture that basically shows uniteds first team against pools second team. It's a piece of paper with Yes or No boxes ticked.

One big thing is selling Suarez and replacing him with 14 million of talent Ricky and the Belgian guy won't be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Seriously though, when we start comparing Kelly to Johnson that's no reflection on poor injury prone Martin. It's starting to get a bit worrying that Glen could still be our first choice RB. He's usually decent at LB but poor tonight.

Glen has a few good games in him, usually steps it up a little when he is up against someone decent, he and young seemed to have a little bit of bitterness between them tonight but he was made look average by him, now THATS worrying :D ... i have great sympathy for Martin though, coming back from cruciate is extremely difficult.

Lets hope we seal Moreno ASAP and then sort out the right full. Fingers crossed its the kick in the arse he needs. Amazing how many supporters are a little sick of him but here we are indeed facing into a new season with him as #1 RB!

I defended (pun intended) Glen here for a good while when he went off form, but it must be 12 months later now!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement