Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

K-9 wrote: »
    I defended (pun intended) Glen here for a good while when he went off form, but it must be 12 months later now!

Its the memory. On his day in full flight, he can be awesome, obviously those games are where we are going forward alot more than defending. Last season he was dreadful when he picked up a knock, came back and looked much better, but was never able to do it for 90 mins. Its sad to see him decline so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anyone know if Moreno can play right back too? Could prove very useful if can, because I like our options at left back already with Enrique and Flanno.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Johnson might of just shaded Kelly on performance tonight, on overall I would rather Kelly.

I thought Kelly was a painful weak link, it wasn't even close. Kelly was being targeted all game.

I don't see why the focus would be on Johnson in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

dfx- wrote: »
    I thought Kelly was a painful weak link, it wasn't even close. Kelly was being targeted all game.

Get with the program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hard to know if Kelly will be even with us this season. It really is a sign of how bad Johnson has got if he's been compared to a lad who ha been injury plaqued for a about 5 years now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Johnson might of just shaded Kelly on performance tonight, on overall I would rather Kelly.
    I would have to disagree strongly - Johnson was terrible again, Kelly wasn't bad. A defenders first role is to defend - a task that Johnson fails at miserably.

Usually when selected a left back he defends better because he has to concentrate, tonight he didn't concentrate. It was no coincidence that the cross for the first goal came from a position you would expect the left back to be occupying. Did the third goal come from a cross from the same wing or did I imagine it?

Unfortunately Johnson was caught out of position for the first goal - Sakho raced to close down the cross while Johnson jogged to fill the central defender's position. There is a distinct lack of urgency to his game when it comes to doing the defensive work but he's very eager to contribute going forward.

Maybe the atmospheric conditions (28C, >90% humidity) contributed to his inability to concentrate - the Irish national team suffered their share of defensive brain farts when they played in Orlando during the 1994 World Cup, but he has been consistently poor for more than a year.

In contrast Kelly did not look a defensive liability and also made some positive contributions at times when he went forward. He may not offer the same 'threat' as Johnson in the final third of the pitch but he can defend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

K-9 wrote: »
    Hard to know if Kelly will be even with us this season. It really is a sign of how bad Johnson has got if he's been compared to a lad who ha been injury plaqued for a about 5 years now.

It's a skewed comparison though. There should be a big gap between them as you say and in that game there was. Especially if you started them the other way around with Kelly as left back.

One is a fullback you can work with on either side, the other is clearly not a fullback even on his favoured side.
    Talisman wrote: »
    I would have to disagree strongly - Johnson was terrible again, Kelly wasn't bad. A defenders first role is to defend - a task that Johnson fails at miserably.

Not really. Centrebacks definitely, fullbacks not really - as much as it is the striker's role to defend from the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Oranage2 wrote: »
    One big thing is selling Suarez and replacing him with 14 million of talent Ricky and the Belgian guy won't be good enough.

Never thought of that, dont think it has ever been mentioned here either......I better pass this info on to BR so he can adjust our transfer targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm baaaaack!
    So, anything interesting happen in the last month???
    Just kidding...

No problem with last night's result given that we were without Sturridge, Borini, Lallana, Markovic, Lovren and the planned new striker. We did concede a few with our best defenders on the pitch though, which is poor (particularly the first). The deflected goal shows that we cannot let midfielders shoot from distance with only a CB in the way, where are the midfielders giving cover?

Pre season has been a revelation for Sterling (our new #7 I hope), Can, Allen and Ibe. 2 starters and 2 great rotation options.
    Lambert needs to take off some pressure on him to score and get back to being a nuisance.
    Looking forward to seeing Lovren and Sakho together, but still no idea what we are doing at FB...

Good to be home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dickerty wrote: »
    I'm baaaaack!

Good to be home!

Who is this guy?! eh? he?

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The more I think about the Origi signing and being loaned back out again, the more I feel he was bought for when the Lambert sentimentality fades by the end of this season. The Lambert signing is a kin to God's second coming and Robbie Keane playing for his boyhood club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

One of the guys who got banned for talking out of turn would be my guess.

So, football, eh? What about them reds :D?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I personally think we need two more strikers. An injury to Sturridge and we're screwed.

Remy and someone else would have been ideal.

One of the guys who got banned for talking out of turn would be my guess.

The terms of my release forbid me from discussing it! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Could someone post on the highlights if they find them.

Last night being a school night.... we can't all stay up :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

daRobot wrote: »
    I personally think we need two more strikers. An injury to Sturridge and we're screwed.

Remy and someone else would have been ideal.

That might be overkill.

Mostly, we will probably play one striker, so you're then left with 3 strikers on the bench (including Lambert).

If we do play 2 strikers up front, we then have a heap of attacking midfielders all of whom won't be getting their game - we could only play one/two from Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I didn't stay up last night but had a quick skim of the end of the match thread

There are some sensible posters (on both sides of the Utd/Lpool divide) whose posts I enjoy seeing, and some who just continually come out with the same type childish dribble time after time despite having pretty old accounts - You'd think maturity came with age but it seems that isn't the case

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What way did we set up last night. 4 3 3 or a diamond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pretty much everyone after a while has boarded the glen johnson is ****e train, i would hope rodgers does not see him as a starter now. Im hoping flanno starts rb while manquillo settles in and let them challenge each other for a starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Another of Rarnes accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Just wondering lads, outta curiosity and i suppose maybe for FPL but do you think Flanagan will get much game time this season? I'm not an LFC fan so apologies for being a bit clueless. Considering your problems i.e. Glen Johnson do ya's think he's likely to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I would like to see less of Allen and more of Can now. Can is the player we need more, a physical presence in midfield, Henderson is also a big lad but his is there more for his pressing and energy.
    Very disappointing that we had so many injuries in pre-season especially Lallana who I see been a big player for us.

Two starting full backs are a must still, with Moreno to come in and I would welcome the Dani Alves rumour with open arms, we would then have Enrique, Manquillo and Flanagan to cover, presuming Johnson and Kelly are moved on.
    Rodgers isn't blind, he knew Reina wasn't up to it anymore and will see the same with Johnson. Johnson doesn't even have a place in the squad he is poison on the pitch. Feel for a Kelly, a very talented player but injuries have killed his career, no longer a kid, time to move on.
    Excited for Lovren to come in, he is that leader we have missed since Carra.

In addition to a new striker I would like to see another attacking player, Konoplyanka would still be a great buy if they will do business with us. Ibe will probably go out on loan so there is a space for one more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I know it's pre-season but is anyone else concerned that Lambert is way out of his depth? Even at Southampton he was used from the bench a lot and he just doesn't seem suited to our game - he is not bad on the ball but lacks the mobility we require from players in our front three - a strange signing.

and yes I am aware that I am jumping to conclusions but I just can't see what he is going to bring to the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

donfers wrote: »
    I know it's pre-season but is anyone else concerned that Lambert is way out of his depth? Even at Southampton he was used from the bench a lot and he just doesn't seem suited to our game - he is not bad on the ball but lacks the mobility we require from players in our front three - a strange signing.

and yes I am aware that I am jumping to conclusions but I just can't see what he is going to bring to the table

Not concerned as he will not be our main striker and he will adapt to how Liverpool play, just give it time.

• Advertisement

I think we will get the two full backs and a striker, looks like Bony's fee has been dropped (Swansea maybe realising they cannot get £19M for him after all?). I would take him for £14M or so, a straight swap for Borini (who updated his Twitter pic to one of him scoring in a Sunderland shirt?).

- I think Johnson would rather leave than be reduced to a nothing role like Cole/Downing were before they left.
    West Ham have already taken Jenkinson on loan at RB, so won't be going home...
    - Agree on Kelly, I cannot see how he can become evey a regular squad player for us now, so best for all if he leaves.
    - I still expect Ilori, Robinson, Teixeira and McLoughlin to go on loan for the full season.
    - I think they will keep Ibe and Suso around as regular bench players and occasional starters.
    - Can has looked very good, but let's see how he goes in the real thing in 2 weeks. Until Lallana is fit, I would start -

Gerrard
    ---Henderson---Can----
    -Sterling
    Coutinho-
    Sturridge

Subs: Lucas, Allen, Markovic, Lambert

No idea of the defence until we finish our ins and outs...

(I see Alberto has started his loan well, two good goals already, I hope he has a great season.)

Not entirely true, he started 31 PL games last season, and played the full 90 mins in 22 of those. He was very much a starting player in a very good side...

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think we will get the two full backs and a striker, looks like Bony's fee has been dropped (Swansea maybe realising they cannot get £19M for him after all?). I would take him for £14M or so, a straight swap for Borini (who updated his Twitter pic to one of him scoring in a Sunderland shirt?).

- I think Johnson would rather leave than be reduced to a nothing role like Cole/Downing were before they left.
    West Ham have already taken Jenkinson on loan at RB, so won't be going home...
    - Agree on Kelly, I cannot see how he can become evey a regular squad player for us now, so best for all if he leaves.
    - I still expect Ilori, Robinson, Teixeira and McLoughlin to go on loan for the full season.
    - I think they will keep Ibe and Suso around as regular bench players and occasional starters.
    - Can has looked very good, but let's see how he goes in the real thing in 2 weeks. Until Lallana is fit, I would start -

Gerrard
    ---Henderson---Can----
    -Sterling
    Coutinho-
    Sturridge

Subs: Lucas, Allen, Markovic, Lambert

No idea of the defence until we finish our ins and outs...

(I see Alberto has started his loan well, two good goals already, I hope he has a great season.)

Would agree with the above bar the bolded bit - while its true Sterling flourished as the season went on its very hard to see Ibe or Suso getting sufficient game time so I'd pack both of them off to maybe promoted sides (Burnley and Leicester both play decent football) or Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's a skewed comparison though. There should be a big gap between them as you say and in that game there was. Especially if you started them the other way around with Kelly as left back.

One is a fullback you can work with on either side, the other is clearly not a fullback even on his favoured side.

Not really. Centrebacks definitely, fullbacks not really - as much as it is the striker's role to defend from the front.

Kelly when at his best is a good defensive RB. His touch wasn't the best last night but he'l be 3rd choice at best, maybe sold so it isn't that concerning at all. It's comparing a first choice international RB to a guy who, no harm to him, is a sick note. Yep Johnson was LB but it isn't as if his form is a one off or even a temporary thing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Philippe Coutinho offered new Liverpool contract

Speaking after Liverpool’s 3-1 defeat to Manchester United in a pre-season friendly in Miami, Rodgers confirmed the club have put a new deal for the 22-year-old on the table.

“I am not sure when it will be done. I haven’t spoken to any of the directors in the last few days so I am not sure where we are on that, but obviously he is someone we want to tie up for a period of time,” he is quoted in the Daily Mail as saying.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/08/philippe-coutinho-offered-new-liverpool-contract/

Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I am certain we will sign another striker so lambert as 3rd choice is as good a option who is happy to be 3rd choice. Hes much more than a target man and is a good creator so I think he will be a valuble asset this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I know it's pre-season but is anyone else concerned that Lambert is way out of his depth?

the scary thing is that aspas looked half decent in pre-season last year :eek:

lambert looking so far out of his depth he makes sean dundee look a top forward..
    Would agree with the above bar the bolded bit - while its true Sterling flourished as the season went on its very hard to see Ibe or Suso getting sufficient game time so I'd pack both of them off to maybe promoted sides (Burnley and Leicester both play decent football) or Swansea.

if liverpool were benefitting from sending players out on loan then sure but name a single player that became a top star at liverpool after going out on loan?

anthony le tallec in this piece talks about how going on loan killed his career http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/1512568/anthony-le-tallec-regrets-leaving-liverpool-for-loan-moves

Didn't see the match last night but our attack has looked a little blunt so far this pre-season. The exception being the Olympiakos match were Sturridge, Sterling and Markovic looked dangerous.

Obviously we are missing Suarez, but Lallana, Markovic and Sturridge returning should make a big difference. One more attacking option, if it's the right player, could really transform us though.

Forward Target List (budget up to 50 million - remaining cash plus player sales to come)

Alexandre Lacazette
    Will Bony
    Roberto Firmino
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
    Kevin Volland
    André-Pierre Gignac
    Alessio Cerci
    Carlos Vela
    Aritz Aduriz
    Jackson Martínez

anyone got any more (plausible) names?

I was thinking that, maybe as the season progresses, either could go out on loan for a short spell. But imagine what they would learn from training with Raheem, Stevie, Danny, Lallana, Markovic...I would give that a few months.

We also need to cover injuries. With Lallana, Marky Mark and Sturridge injured, both would be on the bench as things stand...

Forward Target List (budget up to 50 million - remaining cash plus player sales to come)

Alexandre Lacazette
    Will Bony
    Roberto Firmino
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
    Kevin Volland
    André-Pierre Gignac
    Alessio Cerci
    Carlos Vela
    Aritz Aduriz
    Jackson Martínez

anyone got any more (plausible) names?

What about John Byrne? Or Mark Smith? They are far more plausible than the above list of makey-upey names you've come out with...

:D

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lambert looking so far out of his depth he makes sean dundee look a top forward..

Last pre-season and continuing into the first couple of months of the season Liverpool looked a) poor in attack b) solid at the back. How did that pan out over the rest of the season?

Give Lambert a break FFS. He is clearly feeling the pressure at the minute. No player can ever be at their best when they are short on confidence. The best in the world can look rubbish under those circumstances.
    if liverpool were benefitting from sending players out on loan then sure but name a single player that became a top star at liverpool after going out on loan?

anthony le tallec in this piece talks about how going on loan killed his career http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/1512568/anthony-le-tallec-regrets-leaving-liverpool-for-loan-moves

Do you think Thiago Ilori benefited more sitting on our bench the first half of last season or starting in La Liga against Barca and Real in the second half of the season?

Loaning these players is our only choice. They will not develop at Liverpool because they won't get the games. This is the first time we have ever really had several players on loan at a very high level. Likely that Origi, Suso, Ilori and Alberto will all be playing top flight football on loan next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Last night kinda showed that Lambert is not a first port of call striker

Vicxas wrote: »
    Last night kinda showed that Lambert is not a first port of call striker

It was never the intention tbf.

He should be 3rd striker at the very most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Was pretty happy with the performance last night despite the result. 2nd goal which decided it was a bit unlucky and I certainly don't think we 'deserved' to lose (in the sense of control of the game, chances etc...).

Main positives were Sakho who I thought was very good and Coutinho/Sterling who look like they should at the very least continue their form from the tail end of last season, if not come on even further.

IF (and it's a big if) Lovren can settle in quickly then we could have a really superb CB partnership. It's a pity he hasn't been able to play preseason but it's one area of the team I'm feeling really positive about. Plenty of good backup too.

Coutinho and Sterling were both magnificent and are a joy to watch for different reasons. I'm not sure who I find more exciting but they are both incredible talents and amongst the best in the league for their age IMO.

As has been said, last night probably again highlighted the need for another CF. I'm not sure if Lambert's going to be a huge success, and I'd prefer if he was a bit further down the pecking order. Would also be nice to have the option to play 2 up top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

BMJD wrote: »

Fantastic news. One of our most important players and a nailed on starter IMO.

I really rate this guy. He's just turned 22, a season and a half at Liverpool under his belt. This year could be the year he pushes on and shows the kind of consistency that would put him in the bracket of the top creative midfielders in the league.

He has it all IMO, except for consistency with his shooting. I'm expecting an improvement in this area, and I'm expecting a lot from him in general this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

rossie1977 wrote: »

In fairness to him, he's put his hand up and said it was his own fault for not staying and fighting for his place.

Still remember his sublime flick to Garcia for the first goal against Juve. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Still need a striker
    Still need a fullback
    Still need to complete offload of some players surplus to requirements

STILL NEED TO SIGN SOMEONE WHO CAN FILL SOME OF THE VOID OF SUAREZ'S DEPARTURE

Lots of work to do, 26 days to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Still need a striker
    Still need a fullback

Hopefully that can be rectified soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Apparently:

Liverpool have made an £18m offer to Paris St-Germain for Argentine forward Ezequiel Lavezzi, 29. Tuttosport (in Italian)

From the BBC Sport Gossip Column, 18m sterling is prob only 14 or 15m euro? That'll hardly get Lavezzi in if true.

EDIT: sorry! Sterling is worth more than Euro. So it's probably 23 or 24m euro. *throws calculator away*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Still need a striker
    Still need a fullback

Its a pity we didnt get Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Last pre-season and continuing into the first couple of months of the season Liverpool looked a) poor in attack b) solid at the back. How did that pan out over the rest of the season?

Give Lambert a break FFS. He is clearly feeling the pressure at the minute. No player can ever be at their best when they are short on confidence. The best in the world can look rubbish under those circumstances.

Do you think Thiago Ilori benefited more sitting on our bench the first half of last season or starting in La Liga against Barca and Real in the second half of the season?

Loaning these players is our only choice. They will not develop at Liverpool because they won't get the games. This is the first time we have ever really had several players on loan at a very high level. Likely that Origi, Suso, Ilori and Alberto will all be playing top flight football on loan next season.

Generally I agree with farming out young players on loan. But I suppose I don't like seeing players we signed for significant money, also in their 20s, spending too much time on loan. But it does have its benefits I suppose. We wouldn't have got £14m for Borini, assuming he goes, otherwise.

Is Lavezzi what we need? He is a player who will score 7/8 league goals a season. We probably need someone who can find the net a little more regularly. He is a really good player, but we are better stocked in the wide positions than in the centre-forward position.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Apparently:

Liverpool have made an £18m offer to Paris St-Germain for Argentine forward Ezequiel Lavezzi, 29. Tuttosport (in Italian)

Not a classic forward, has about a 1 in 4 scoring record, and not FSG's type of player at all (29 and expensive), and no guarantee he's settle in England.
    I don't see it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Augmerson wrote: »
    Apparently:

Hope we stay away from him. He's been declining at an alarming rate since he joined PSG.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement