Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

mikeym wrote: »
    Its a pity we didnt get Lukaku.

I don't think Chelsea would have sold him to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mikeym wrote: »
    Its a pity we didnt get Lukaku.

For that money? Wouldn't touch him...

martyos121 wrote: »
    Hope we stay away from him. He's been declining at an alarming rate since he joined PSG.

I agree.

Didn't really impress me at the world cup either.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Generally I agree with farming out young players on loan. But I suppose I don't like seeing players we signed for significant money, also in their 20s, spending too much time on loan. But it does have its benefits I suppose. We wouldn't have got £14m for Borini, assuming he goes, otherwise.

There should be an age threshold. If you are 22 and haven't broken through yet, only loan with an option to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd be happy to have Lavezzi. He blows hot and cold but when he's on it he can be unplayable. He'd fit with what we're doing too.

Lavezzi
    Sturridge
    Sterling

would be pretty elite. We'd still need a Remy type purchase along with that though to cover when Sturridge misses his 25% of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Augmerson wrote: »
    Apparently:

Liverpool have made an £18m offer to Paris St-Germain for Argentine forward Ezequiel Lavezzi, 29. Tuttosport (in Italian)

From the BBC Sport Gossip Column, 18m sterling is prob only 14 or 15m euro? That'll hardly get Lavezzi in if true.

EDIT: sorry! Sterling is worth more than Euro. So it's probably 23 or 24m euro. *throws calculator away*

Somebody educate me here please

Would Lavezzi seen as partway to filling some of the goal-gap?

I only ask because he hasn't scored more than 10 league goals in a season since his debut season in 03-04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Really is a shame about Remy. He ticks the boxes for what we need right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

x43r0 wrote: »

I only ask because he hasn't scored more than 10 league goals in a season since his debut season in 03-04

No, he struggles for goals in a soft enough league. Wouldn't cut it in England, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I don't think Chelsea would have sold him to us.

but happily sell mata to united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

x43r0 wrote: »

If Borini / Assaidi are off then your depth chart for front three positions is currently like:

Sterling / Ibe / Coutinho
    Sturridge / Lambert
    Lallana / Markovic / Coutinho

As a consequence I can definitely see an argument for bringing in a wing forward AND a striker. And one of those acquisitions being an 'X Factor' signing, i.e. an elite CL player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Origi will be better than Lukaku, let Everton spend 30 million on him.

Lavazzi would be a good CL player to have, plus as I said before he unlocks chances for others, so Sterling, Lallana, Sturridge, etc would all benefit.

New U21 Euro League competition is not being taken up by Liverpool. I guess with the CL U19s, the U21 domestic league and the likely number of loans coming up they have decided it would be stretching things needlessly thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lavezzi would be good for a year or 2 until Origi is back from lille

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't think we should worry too much regarding last nights result. Just remember we were missing Lallana, Markovic and Sturridge in attacking options.

Assuming we have the wing back positions sorted, A stiker and CM to replace Gerrard is all we need to make it a good window imo.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    but happily sell mata to united

Fair point!

I think we would have been made to pay more than Everton did though which he wouldn't have been worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't think we should worry too much regarding last nights result. Just remember we were missing Lallana, Markovic and Sturridge in attacking options.

Assuming we have the wing back positions sorted, A stiker and CM to replace Gerrard is all we need to make it a good window imo.

We don't need to be thinking about that until next summer. This will probably be Gerrard's last big year for us, with the return of CL football and a deep squad who could mount a title challenge, he has a huge role to play. Next summer, we should be dipping into the war-chest for a top, top midfielder so we can phase Stevie G out of the team. Next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Seems to me that if Origi had joined us he most likely would have gotten quite a few games (unless we sign a new striker soon!!).

I'd like a natural goal scorer / finisher if possible sort of like Hernandez (utd.) or would Rossi (Fiorentina).

Leandro Damião looked like a world beater at the Olympics but has disappeared since.

Sometimes it's worth taking a risk on out of form players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

martyos121 wrote: »
    We don't need to be thinking about that until next summer. This will probably be Gerrard's last big year for us, with the return of CL football and a deep squad who could mount a title challenge, he has a huge role to play. Next summer, we should be dipping into the war-chest for a top, top midfielder so we can phase Stevie G out of the team. Next summer.

When I said replace I didn't necessarily mean this season. But I think it's best to have the cover in now as we need someone who is able to play the same role.

We have players who can play in the position but aren't suited to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Knex. wrote: »
    Really is a shame about Remy. He ticks the boxes for what we need right now.

Suppose it depends on who we end up with. Tbh a lot of it was down to his price. Personally and I think I wrote on here, we still would have needed a striker even after signing him. It would have been a good squad, but lacking that little bit of quality along with Sturridge.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would like us to bring in Konoplyanka if we are signing just 1 more striker. I would probably buy 2 strikers. Bacca from Sevilla could be a decent option. Aubameyang would probably be the best option atm though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a striker is paramount, and Rodgers has said clearly that he's main objective for the rest of the window.

i have no doubt we will see someone come in.

Lavezzi would be fine, but he's into the stages of looking to agree his last big contract. it's not going to happen unless he really wants to join us, and is willing to take some sort of pay cut IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

MARCA are claiming that Suso will be part of the Moreno deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

You know I don't speak Spanish, in English please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You know I don't speak Spanish, in English please.

Google Translate.
    Liverpool move record to try to close once and for all Alberto Moreno incorporating their ranks. After several months of follow-up by the British and some scores between clubs since last May, the squad would even be willing to lower the claims of his earlier agreement with the Reds for negotiation between the English club and get to Sevilla fruition this time.
    Ie win would accept a little less change to clarify definitively its sport at this point in the season situation.
    Liverpool is planning a new proposal to Sevilla today. The intention in principle remains include Suso in an operation that eventually exceed 20 million euros.Liverpool is planning a new proposal to Sevilla today. Remains The intention in principle include Suso in an operation Eventually That Exceed 20 million euros.

Read more: Alberto Moreno has deal to go to Liverpool - MARCA.com
    If realized output Lefty, Alberto Moreno will be in Liverpool this week with Javier Manquillo. The right side yesterday traveled to Liverpool with permission to spend today Atlético medical examination prior to signing his new contract.
    Rodgers, patient
    's main supporter of the signing of Alberto Moreno by Liverpool's reds coach Brendan Rogers. The preparer referred yesterday to the choices you have strengthened its team with the two Spanish sides, but showed a lack of prudent officialdom. "There is nothing yet," was the answer of Rodgers, who admits: "We still have a few places we would like to strengthen the team stronger, but are not defined names."
    Liverpool already has Manquillo and today could also close the arrival of Alberto Moreno, who put the finishing touch to your planning.

Leer más: Alberto Moreno has deal to go to Liverpool - MARCA.com

pinchofsalt-carousel.jpg

Probably means a loan deal.

Presumably on loan? Good club to join, play decent football, a definite step up from Almeria...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I know I will probably get killed here but for a striker how about we try for Hernadez if Utd are selling him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I know I will probably get killed here but for a striker how about we try for Hernadez if Utd are selling him

No point, they wouldn't sell him to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm worried about the season ahead.

Suarez is gone and I'm worried that we can't compete in the market to try and at least directly fill his void. The club have opted for trying to fill his place with a few signings and I think this is a better option as I cannot see any truly elite Champions league type player come to Liverpool as we stand, Sanchez being proof of this and Micky Ryan last year.
    The signings that have came in to to try and replace Suarez, don't fill me with loads of confidence either - they are all gambles to an extent, as are all transfers, but in this case we need a couple of them to be hits for the strategy to pay off. Rodgers and the clubs track record since FSG came in isn't exactly great despite the one or two signings that have come good.
    I read a lot that we don't need to replace Suarez' goals if we tighten up at the back. I don't buy into to that. The team needed a better goal conceded record whether Suarez stayed or left. The defence was a shambles at times last year, any might of pressure had me worried and all too often the defence was left exposed to such pressure. I'm expecting Cissokho to improve on his performance in the CB position from last year and that means we will have an excellent defender. Didn't see Southampton too much last year, so I can't comment too much on Lovern but he sounds like he will be a good signing. The defence will likely be improved on last year but Johnson needs replacing and Kelly and Flanno are not the solution. Kelly needs to be moved on for his own good as he has hit a wall at Liverpool due to injuries and Flanaghan is an excellent covering player and a very good option for the occsional rotation next year but at this stage isn't quite good enough if we want to improve on last year. Having said that if we keeps on improving like he has been, he will be an excellent player for us over the next decade.
    The biggest aspect of having Suarez that we will miss is the panic he sowed in the opposition defence, he ran defences haggard and as a result those defenders made mistakes leading to goals that Suarez wasn't directly involved in. As much as we all like Sturridge, apart from Knex, he doesn't have the same effect on defences and can go missing in games. I think Sterling will have the same effect on defences as Suarez but that's a lot of responsibility for such a young and still in many ways inexperienced player.
    I worry about expectations after last year and the pressure that will be on the team. I don't expect the team to replicate last year and would be extremely happy with fourth to stabilise the club and then push on but Rodgers had a hard time getting accepted and I think if the team goes through a bad run fans might get on top of the team and Rodgers.
    I'm not expecting much from the Champions League but keep reading that people will be happy with getting to the knock-out stages. I don't see that happening, at all. Man City struggled in the group stages in the last couple of years and had a better squad and more depth. Europe is a big step up and Rodgers hasn't done that well in the cups so far, with some terrible performances along the way.
    I'd be happy with just giving the group a good tilt and winning one or two and showing some good performances. All depends on our group though, hopefully we get a weak one.
    I'd be happy with fourth, better progression in domestic cups and a good showing in Europe. Fifth wouldn't be a disaster either but would make the next season harder again but unless we completely collapse Rodgers should be giving another year.
    Bit of a rambling post there guys, so apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Borini is as good as him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

doc_17 wrote: »
    Generally I agree with farming out young players on loan. But I suppose I don't like seeing players we signed for significant money, also in their 20s, spending too much time on loan. But it does have its benefits I suppose. We wouldn't have got £14m for Borini, assuming he goes, otherwise.

Or Assaidi, assuming he goes too. To be turning a profit on players we signed for millions but who we have subsequently deemed not good enough to be a part of the team is no mean feat.

joe123 wrote: »

I think Henandez is more clinical but its a moot point anyway as we don't do business with United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Forward Target List (budget up to 50 million - remaining cash plus player sales to come)

Alexandre Lacazette
    Will Bony
    Roberto Firmino
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
    Kevin Volland
    André-Pierre Gignac
    Alessio Cerci
    Carlos Vela
    Aritz Aduriz
    Jackson Martínez

anyone got any more (plausible) names?

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just a bit on the epic scouting mission that bought Origi to Liverpool.

from www.insidefutbol.com
    "It is really something….I also saw [Daniel] Sturridge, who was very friendly."

Origi, who scored five goals in 30 Ligue 1 games for Lille last term, was also astonished with the lengths Liverpool had gone to to check on him and for just how long they had been tracking his progress.

"Liverpool followed me for a long time.

"When I arrived at the offices they showed me tapes of me when I was younger than 15!

"Everyone knew me, I could not believe it."

And Liverpool will be keeping a close eye on Origi throughout his year at Lille, with Rodgers having promised to send a scout to France and explaining to the striker just how highly he is rated at Anfield.

"He wants me to be one of the best players in the world", the Belgian added.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'm worried about the season ahead.

Suarez is gone and I'm worried that we can't compete in the market to try and at least directly fill his void. The club have opted for trying to fill his place with a few signings and I think this is a better option as I cannot see any truly elite Champions league type player come to Liverpool as we stand, Sanchez being proof of this and Micky Ryan last year.
    The signings that have came in to to try and replace Suarez, don't fill me with loads of confidence either - they are all gambles to an extent, as are all transfers, but in this case we need a couple of them to be hits for the strategy to pay off. Rodgers and the clubs track record since FSG came in isn't exactly great despite the one or two signings that have come good.
    I read a lot that we don't need to replace Suarez' goals if we tighten up at the back. I don't buy into to that. The team needed a better goal conceded record whether Suarez stayed or left. The defence was a shambles at times last year, any might of pressure had me worried and all too often the defence was left exposed to such pressure. I'm expecting Cissokho to improve on his performance in the CB position from last year and that means we will have an excellent defender. Didn't see Southampton too much last year, so I can't comment too much on Lovern but he sounds like he will be a good signing. The defence will likely be improved on last year but Johnson needs replacing and Kelly and Flanno are not the solution. Kelly needs to be moved on for his own good as he has hit a wall at Liverpool due to injuries and Flanaghan is an excellent covering player and a very good option for the occsional rotation next year but at this stage isn't quite good enough if we want to improve on last year. Having said that if we keeps on improving like he has been, he will be an excellent player for us over the next decade.
    The biggest aspect of having Suarez that we will miss is the panic he sowed in the opposition defence, he ran defences haggard and as a result those defenders made mistakes leading to goals that Suarez wasn't directly involved in. As much as we all like Sturridge, apart from Knex, he doesn't have the same effect on defences and can go missing in games. I think Sterling will have the same effect on defences as Suarez but that's a lot of responsibility for such a young and still in many ways inexperienced player.
    I worry about expectations after last year and the pressure that will be on the team. I don't expect the team to replicate last year and would be extremely happy with fourth to stabilise the club and then push on but Rodgers had a hard time getting accepted and I think if the team goes through a bad run fans might get on top of the team and Rodgers.
    I'm not expecting much from the Champions League but keep reading that people will be happy with getting to the knock-out stages. I don't see that happening, at all. Man City struggled in the group stages in the last couple of years and had a better squad and more depth. Europe is a big step up and Rodgers hasn't done that well in the cups so far, with some terrible performances along the way.
    I'd be happy with just giving the group a good tilt and winning one or two and showing some good performances. All depends on our group though, hopefully we get a weak one.
    I'd be happy with fourth, better progression in domestic cups and a good showing in Europe. Fifth wouldn't be a disaster either but would make the next season harder again but unless we completely collapse Rodgers should be giving another year.
    Bit of a rambling post there guys, so apologies.

There is so much wrong with this post i dont even know where to start

1) We havent mis-spent any of the Suarez money mainly because we havent spent a penny of it. BR already confirmed all the signings he has made until now would have been made whether Suarez went or not
    2) Cissoko doesnt play centre half and has been released from his loan so wont be playing for LIverpool this year
    3) We have signed/Almost signed 2 new full backs which will replace or put pressure on flanagan/johnson etc. We are also linked to alves to totally replace johnson
    4) Fans would turn on Rodgers? Are you actually crazy. Most fans view his as the second/third/fourth incarnation of Jesús. Unless we get relegated this season there will be no fans turning on him considering the amazing job he has done.
    5) CL progress will depend almost entirely on our draw. Fans will base their expectations on the group we are drawn in.
    6) Every fan would be happy with 4th, but 5th would be a disaster simple as that.

Finally there are 26 days left of the window. What on earth are people stressing about? We have the money to sign 99% of the players on the planet, relax and lets see how things go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Was fairly happy with the performance last night. For 60 minutes anyway. The last 30 got very messy due to all the substitutions. 3-1 to United was in no way reflective of a game that Liverpool controlled for quite a lot of it. Probably should have been out of sight before United got their two quick goals. Mata's deflected shot going in and Sterling's deflected shot going inches past the post kinda summed up the game.

Sterling and Coutinho were excellent. So was Sakho. Lambert looked a bit lost up front with all these nippy little lads buzzing around him. He will be useful in certain situations but his lack of mobility was in stark contrast last night to those around him.

Full-backs were a problem yet again. Johnson continues to play like he's on drugs. Kelly won't make it as a full-back at the top level. Both of them left too many crosses come in from their wings.

Put in Sturridge, Markovic, Lallana, Lovren, Moreno, etc and I would be fairly confident that we will be well up there again this season. Need to get a good second striker in though. Remy sadly would have been perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

1) We havent mis-spent any of the Suarez money mainly because we havent spent a penny of it. BR already confirmed all the signings he has made until now would have been made whether Suarez went or not
    2) Cissoko doesnt play centre half and has been released from his loan so wont be playing for LIverpool this year
    3) We have signed/Almost signed 2 new full backs which will replace or put pressure on flanagan/johnson etc. We are also linked to alves to totally replace johnson
    4) Fans would turn on Rodgers? Are you actually crazy. Most fans view his as the second/third/fourth incarnation of Jesús. Unless we get relegated this season there will be no fans turning on him considering the amazing job he has done.
    5) CL progress will depend almost entirely on our draw. Fans will base their expectations on the group we are drawn in.
    6) Every fan would be happy with 4th, but 5th would be a disaster simple as that.

Finally there are 26 days left of the window. What on earth are people stressing about? We have the money to sign 99% of the players on the planet, relax and lets see how things go

:pac:

"Liverpool followed me for a long time.
    When I arrived at the offices they showed me tapes of me when I was younger than 15!

Eh...I hope there is nothing illegal in there!

"And this is you when you went to that summer camp in Bruges. Yes, I was the overly-attentive janitor...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If we sign Moreno as expected and sell Borini and Assaidi as expected we will have a NIL net spend for the summer.

List all players in world
    Filter - strikers
    Filter - players who are interested in coming to Liverpool.

We should be able to afford every single one of them.

joe123 wrote: »

I like Fabio but I'd rather Hernadez for his goals.

1) We havent mis-spent any of the Suarez money mainly because we havent spent a penny of it. BR already confirmed all the signings he has made until now would have been made whether Suarez went or not ---- I never mentioned the Suarez money but I don't think we have either replaced him directly(impossible to do and any attempt could be fatal with the monies invloved) and we havn't done enough to replace his worth to the team with a few players either.

Sahko/Cissokho , it's a running joke and as such I was reffering to Sahko (if only he was better on the ball :p)

3) We have signed/Almost signed 2 new full backs which will replace or put pressure on flanagan/johnson etc. We are also linked to alves to totally replace johnson We are linked with a lot of players, links are worth dust. Almost signing tow full backs is useless as well and one of those signings will be an Alberto type punt (with Manello?) but at least this time we are only loaning him. Moreno sounds good (but is he better than Shaw) hadn't signed him though and he is a left back which we don't need as much as a right back. Enrique is back and Flanno is a very capable player at left back. Johnson needs to be replaced.

4) Fans would turn on Rodgers? Are you actually crazy. Most fans view his as the second/third/fourth incarnation of Jesús. Unless we get relegated this season there will be no fans turning on him considering the amazing job he has done. ---- He is on a tightrope. A bad start in the league and a poor showing in Europe and the pressure will be immense

5) CL progress will depend almost entirely on our draw. Fans will base their expectations on the group we are drawn in. --- Of course progress depends on the draw but I hadn't read anything but fans expecting getting through the group as acceptable.

6) Every fan would be happy with 4th, but 5th would be a disaster simple as that. ---- A disaster that can likely happen. City, Chelsea will get top four, Aresnal and Utd are our competition and they are as good as us and it will be very tight for fourth anyone thinking different is deluded. And you wrote above that unless we get relegated no fans will turn on Rodgers but then go on to say that fifth is a disaster, will fans began to turn on him with that disaster or will they be content. Football fans in my experience aren't happy with disaster.

we have money and have spent a lot so far. Last time I checked we were still recovering to some extent from Hicks and Gilette and we are also moving on the stadium front. We aren't as flush as some of the other big clubs. We aren't as an attractive proposition as a lot of clubs either, we can't offer the wages a lot of clubs can so can't sign a good few % of those 99% you mentioned.

Im worried, can I not be worried? I know there are days left in the market but I also remember the last few transfer windows and I'm not expecting a huge amount in the next month.
    I believe Rodgers is a good manager and we have some good players but other clubs have players and managers of a similar calibre and some have better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The problem is this window is always going to be considered a disappointment. There was nobody currently as good as Suarez available to us.

Our defense should be better than last season.
    Our midfield should be about as good as last season

Our attack - minus Suarez
    plus - Coutinho and Sterling are a year older and should be even better than last season. If you believe some folk (like Tor-Kristian Karlsen) Markovic has the potential to be in Suarez's class. Lallana is a good, versatile addition. We will also be adding another striker into the mix so will have a level of depth in attacking areas (the most important place to have depth) that we have never had before.

• Advertisement

Im worried, can I not be worried? I know there are days left in the market but I also remember the last few transfer windows and I'm not expecting a huge amount in the next month.
    I believe Rodgers is a good manager and we have some good players but other clubs have players and managers of a similar calibre and some have better.

The fact there is 4 weeks left to buy makes me less nervous.
    Other clubs will realise where their gaps are, or have injuries, or get through qualifiers and many will need to sell to buy.
    So we have plenty of time to do what we need to do, and plenty of money in the bank...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

1) We don't know how much the budget is and it depends on the way you look at it. It could be said we've spent near enough the Suarez money an we'll have maybe £50/60 Million on top.

2)Sakho plays LB. ;)

5)Totally agreed, the draw is crucial.

4 and 6 seem totally contradictory to me. Rodgers has earned his place here but us finishing 5th will be a disaster? Disappointing yes, but given the competition for the top 4 not totally unexpected or unplanned for.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The problem is this window is always going to be considered a disappointment. There was nobody currently as good as Suarez available to us.

Our defense should be better than last season.
    Our midfield should be about as good as last season

Our attack - minus Suarez
    plus - Coutinho and Sterling are a year older and should be even better than last season. If you believe some folk (like Tor-Kristian Karlsen) Markovic has the potential to be in Suarez's class. Lallana is a good, versatile addition. We will also be adding another striker into the mix so will have a level of depth in attacking areas (the most important place to have depth) that we have never had before.

Defense needs less Johnson though.

I still think we need another quality midfield option to sit further back.

Depth is important all right but as it stands we don't have it up front. We need another two attacking options.

3-4 more signings and I'd be happy, still worried however but less so than I am.

Dickerty wrote: »
    So we have plenty of time to do what we need to do, and plenty of money in the bank...

I agree with this. Previous years we would of had to sell to buy and other clubs knew it.

With 4 weeks and cash in hand we can find the right player.

K-9 wrote: »
    1) We don't know how much the budget is and it depends on the way you look at it. It could be said we've spent near enough the Suarez money an we'll have maybe £50/60 Million on top.

2)Sakho plays LB. ;)

5)Totally agreed, the draw is crucial.

4 and 6 seem totally contradictory to me. Rodgers has earned his place here but us finishing 5th will not be a disaster? Disappointing yes, but given the competition for the top 4 not totally unexpected or unplanned for.

Jeez K-9, did I not just say all that. Shouldn't have stayed up all night watching that uber important game.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If any "fans" turn on Rogers based on a shaky start to the season they should be handed season tickets for Bootle FC and told not to come back.

We'll never replace "Aldridge/Rush/Keegan/Torres/Fowler/Owen/Torres"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Defense needs less Johnson though.

I still think we need another quality midfield option to sit further back.

Depth is important all right but as it stands we don't have it up front. We need another two attacking options.

3-4 more signings and I'd be happy, still worried however but less so than I am.

We signed Can, we have Allen & Gerrard playing that position, we won't be signing another Midfielder for that position.

We need a striker and the LB/RBs are on the way. Job done...maybe another GK. How many strikers do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I am pie wrote: »
    If any "fans" turn on Rogers based on a shaky start to the season they should be handed season tickets for Bootle FC and told not to come back.

We'll never replace "Aldridge/Rush/Keegan/Torres/Fowler/Owen/Torres"

I hope we'll all be able to tell the difference between those who have an agenda and those who raise legitimate concerns! I would still be wary of Rodgers' record in the transfer market for example. Whether it is him or FSG signing some of the players is probably up for debate but some mistakes have made there and it'll be really important that they are not repeated this month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Just been moping all day really. Can't believe we lost the final last night.

Gutted.

I am pie wrote: »
    We signed Can, we have Allen & Gerrard playing that position, we won't be signing another Midfielder for that position.

We need a striker and the LB/RBs are on the way. Job done...maybe another GK. How many strikers do you want?

Who came on for Lambert last night? Borini doesn't look like he will be staying Sturridge is injury prone, so two more attck minded players would be very welcome and options that can push or even replace what we have now.

What RB are we signing that can offer a replacement on Johnson?

Can looks to be a good signing. Lallana if he plays to his level at Southampton will be a good addition (a bit pricey like Allen and he is an Allen like signing). Lambert was for peanuts and is grand as an option but I hope we don't end up relying on him consistently. A CB was needed and Lovern came in. Markovic is a potential siging, hopefully he fulfils that at Liverpool.
    Looks like we still need a RB and a LB would be nice but RB is needed more.
    We need at least two more attacking threats and players that aren't potential signings would be nice. I'm not looking for the club to go mad but just players with some experience and quality would be nice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement