Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Augmerson wrote: »
    Just been moping all day really. Can't believe we lost the final last night.

Gutted.

It's alright buddy, we go again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Hopefully Markovic will play this weekend against Dortmund and will be in contention then against Southampton. Once Sturridge and Markovic are fit to start the season I think we shoudl have enough players to be covered.
    If both were out and Lallana too I think we'd be very stretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I like Fabio but I'd rather Hernadez for his goals.

Im worried, can I not be worried? I know there are days left in the market but I also remember the last few transfer windows and I'm not expecting a huge amount in the next month.
    I believe Rodgers is a good manager and we have some good players but other clubs have players and managers of a similar calibre and some have better.

Even though we have added good depth to the team and some good additions in lallana and Louvren , I still cant help but feel disappointed by the window so far. Suarez leaving and not being able to get sanchez even was such a big blow, going to arsenal on top was disaster really . The fact we haven’t been able to bed in or have a look at most of new transfers prob just increases the doubt about the success of this window also.

At the end of day ,You dont change what isn’t broken but losing suarez and with so many new players to bed in, I think BR has a huge challenge on his hand to replicate last season.It will be a very different team.

My main concern we don’t bring in an attacker to play with sturridge like suarez did but rather bring in a striker in reserve. If we go one up forward I think well lose so much of the threat we had last season. A top quality striker to complement sturrdige is very important, whether we can attract or afford that is another question. Still unsure whether id be happy with Bony or not… I really thought we would use the funds to replace suarez with a top top striker but just cant see this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I am pie wrote: »
    If any "fans" turn on Rogers based on a shaky start to the season they should be handed season tickets for Bootle FC and told not to come back.

We'll never replace "Aldridge/Rush/Keegan/Torres/Fowler/Owen/Torres"
    doc_17 wrote: »
    I hope we'll all be able to tell the difference between those who have an agenda and those who raise legitimate concerns! I would still be wary of Rodgers' record in the transfer market for example. Whether it is him or FSG signing some of the players is probably up for debate but some mistakes have made there and it'll be really important that they are not repeated this month.

If we're in the middle of December trading at 1.3ppg and out of the CL then you can expect there to be an ever rising wave of criticism and heated debate after every loss ala 2010 or 2012. Rodgers may be granted another crack at it where Dalglish and Benitez were not, but make no mistake - he won't survive two 2012 / 2013 type seasons in succession.

You can choose to label some or all of the detractors in such a scenario as those with an agenda if you choose. Some of the anger in such a negative scenario will of course be directed at FSG and focus back to our transfer business. But this is a results business. Football changes, that reality doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Can looks to be a good signing. Lallana if he plays to his level at Southampton will be a good addition (a bit pricey like Allen and he is an Allen like signing). Lambert was for peanuts and is grand as an option but I hope we don't end up relying on him consistently. A CB was needed and Lovern came in. Markovic is a potential siging, hopefully he fulfils that at Liverpool.

For 20m I'd hope he's a lot more than potential. I can see him starting alongside Sterling and Sturridge more often than not. Might be stating the obvious here...but I have a feeling that Rodgers sees Sterling as the eventual replacement for Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

MarkY91 wrote: »
    but happily sell mata to united

United wouldnt really be title challengers, so Chelsea probably don't mind selling to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

United wouldnt really be title challengers, so Chelsea probably don't mind selling to them

A la sturridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

A la sturridge?
    Yup.

They were so unhappy with the success of Sturridge that they wouldn't even sell us Bertrand in case he became good;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

For 20m I'd hope he's a lot more than potential. I can see him starting alongside Sterling and Sturridge more often than not. Might be stating the obvious here...but I have a feeling that Rodgers sees Sterling as the eventual replacement for Suarez

And he really is. There is very little he can't do. He can score, he beats players for fun, he can play the killer pass, he can cross - hell, he's probably our best Right Back as well!

I think if you played him up top, with his pace and finishing, he'd get you 20+ in a season...

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    Just been moping all day really. Can't believe we lost the final last night.

Gutted.

Imagine how Man City fans feel. Season over before it even begins

5live wrote: »
    Yup.

They were so unhappy with the success of Sturridge that they wouldn't even sell us Bertrand in case he became good;)

Who:P suppose they only sell players they dont rate too highly to huge title contenders like pool;)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Imagine how Man City fans feel. Season over before it even begins

And Real Madrid, heard Rodriguiez is considering going back to Monaco in January already over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If only he could shoot.

eW2T2oT.gif

In all seriousness, it's good no more injuries were picked up.

Will Sturridge and Lazar definitely be ready for 1st game?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    In all seriousness, it's good no more injuries were picked up.

Will Sturridge and Lazar definitely be ready for 1st game?

Ah, you could say that for every game ever!

Anyway, who's Will Sturridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If only he could shoot.

eW2T2oT.gif

Supremely talented footballer, if he had been at Liverpool all along instead of Inter we would be looking at an even better player now, his development really stalled there. There was a couple of moments last night that were just pieces of breath taking skill.

Its not even hyperbole to say he could go on to be one of the finest playmakers in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

rob316 wrote: »
    Supremely talented footballer, if he had been at Liverpool all along instead of Inter we would be looking at an even better player now, his development really stalled there. There was a couple of moments last night that were just pieces of breath taking skill.

Its not even hyperbole to say he could go on to be one of the finest playmakers in the world.

There was more than a couple!
    Sublime stuff

For what its worth Fabio Borini favourited @SunderlandAFC's confirmation of Jack Rodwell's signing.

Sublime stuff

Aye 2:16 they show the replay of 2:00 , ridiculous ball control.

Sublime stuff

That one on 2 mins is fantastic. He's perpetual motion - a front 6 containing him, Sterling, Lallana, Markovic and Sturridge would be a nightmare to play against...

• Advertisement

This would be negative for us as Pepe Reina has been linked with a move to Milan for the past number of weeks

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/2cos94/milan_are_in_talks_with_real_madrid_for_diego/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Reddit. Not a nice sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Dickerty wrote: »
    That one on 2 mins is fantastic. He's perpetual motion - a front 6 containing him, Sterling, Lallana, Markovic and Sturridge would be a nightmare to play against...

I keep reading Markovich's name being mentioned alongside Sterling and Sturridge and how no one will be able to cope.

The truth at the moment is, hardly any of us have seen him play more than 90 minutes of football. If he had been signed for 10 million, people would be saying hes "one for the future" "a luis alberto type signing".

His price tag has brought an expectancy but in no way should a title chasing team be relying on someone like Markovich yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Are we a title chasing team?!? It's a nice dream but I think we're a top 4 chasing team. Right now we still can't compete with the cash that city or Chelsea can splash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Starting 11 for Southampton:

4-2-3-1
    Mignolet
    Flanagan Sahko Lovren Moreno
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sterling Coutinho Markovic
    Sturridge

4-1-3-2
    Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Henderson Coutinho Markovic
    Sturridge Sterling

4-3-3
    Mignolet
    Henderson Gerrard Can
    Markovic Sturridge Sterling

I know Johnson will still be here and start at RB and probably due to lack of pre-season with the squad Skrtel will start ahead of Lovren. Also for same reason I think Enrique will start as LB.

Any thoughts?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Are we a title chasing team?!? It's a nice dream but I think we're a top 4 chasing team. Right now we still can't compete with the cash that city or Chelsea can splash.

Well aim for the top and see where you get, but after last season even without suarez I would hope we are aiming to finish Top 3. It will be much more difficult than last season, united unfortunately will be right back up there. They may struggle with new formations and tactics and a they will throw up a few bad results but nothing like last season.

I am pie wrote: »
    Reddit. Not a nice sauce.

The source is Sky Italia which is pretty credible

dogbert27 wrote: »

4-2-3-1
    Mignolet
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sturridge

4-1-3-2
    Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Sturridge Sterling

4-3-3
    Mignolet
    Henderson Gerrard Can

I know Johnson will still be here and start at RB and probably due to lack of pre-season with the squad Skrtel will start ahead of Lovren. Also for same reason I think Enrique will start as LB.

Any thoughts?

If we cant beat a Southampton team who has sold 6 or so of its best players from last season then its going to be a very disappointing season for us.
    I reckon 3-1 to Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

This would be negative for us as Pepe Reina has been linked with a move to Milan for the past number of weeks

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/2cos94/milan_are_in_talks_with_real_madrid_for_diego/

We should be all over Diego Lopez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

joe123 wrote: »
    I keep reading Markovich's name being mentioned alongside Sterling and Sturridge and how no one will be able to cope.

The truth at the moment is, hardly any of us have seen him play more than 90 minutes of football. If he had been signed for 10 million, people would be saying hes "one for the future" "a luis alberto type signing".

His price tag has brought an expectancy but in no way should a title chasing team be relying on someone like Markovich yet.

True, it's hard to know with him and Can. At least we've squad options for a change so there'll be less pressure on him to do well straight away.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

in no way should a title chasing team be relying on someone like Markovich yet.

Have you seen enough of him to know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

4-2-3-1
    Mignolet
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sturridge

4-1-3-2
    Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Sturridge Sterling

4-3-3
    Mignolet
    Henderson Gerrard Can

Any thoughts?

If another forward has not been signed by the opening game I think Rodgers will go with the familiar

Mignolet
    Johsnon Lovren Sahko Moreno
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Allen
    -Sterling-Sturridge--Coutinho

Jones, Flanno, Skrtel, Can, Lucas, Lambert, Markovic

If we cant beat a Southampton team who has sold 6 or so of its best players from last season then its going to be a very disappointing season for us.
    I reckon 3-1 to Liverpool

True. On the flip side though with a new manager and new players it would be like playing a newly promoted team on the opening day of the season which can always be a banana skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

4-2-3-1
    Mignolet
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sturridge

4-1-3-2
    Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Sturridge Sterling

4-3-3
    Mignolet
    Henderson Gerrard Can

Any thoughts?

Option A please

The 4-1-2-1-2 Worked well at times last year with

gerrard

henderson
    Coutinho----
    sterling
    Loved Coutinho in that role as he seemed to get on the ball a lot.
    but that had Suarez and Sturridge up top not sure it would be as successful with Lambert but if Rodgers wants to use that formation it shows the importance of bringing in at least one other striker maybe even two if Borini goes

If another forward has not been signed by the opening game I think Rodgers will go with the familiar

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Allen

I think you're right with Johnson. I guess Rodgers can't have circa 60 million pounds worth of defenders and not play Lovren, Sahko and Moreno!

I'd be disappointed to see that midfield to be honest.

Also do you think he'll still be here?

Maybe for the opening game but with Gerrard, Henderson and Can I think it's between Lucas and Allen as to be surplus to requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I dont think lovren or moreno will start given theyve never trained with the team and one of hasnt been signed yet. Id say youre right that he'll go with the familiar though. My guess is

Mig

Enrique
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Johnson

Allen
    Hendo
    Gerrard

Sterling
    Coutinho
    Sturridge

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Option A please

gerrard

henderson
    Coutinho----
    sterling
    but that had Suarez and Sturridge up top not sure it would be as successful with Lambert but if Rodgers wants to use that formation it shows the importance of bringing in at least one other striker maybe even two if Borini goes

With that diamond you could swap Markovic with Coutinho and Coutinho with Sterling.

Put Sterling up front with Sturridge and have Coutinho supplying them through balls to run on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I agree Coutinho excelled in the deeper central role last season. I think thats where hes at his best. I like the idea of two of coutinho,lallana and henderson playing in front of gerrard in a midfield three. They all offer high energy pressing and great composure in possession, could be a fairly dynamic midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

With that diamond you could swap Markovic with Coutinho and Coutinho with Sterling.

Put Sterling up front with Sturridge and have Coutinho supplying them through balls to run on to.

Don't think Markovic would be suited to playing so deep to be honest if playing sterling up front and coutinho at the tip of the diamond then either Can/Allen would come into the middle

• Advertisement

Don't think Markovic would be suited to playing so deep to be honest if playing sterling up front and coutinho at the tip of the diamond then either Can/Allen would come into the middle

Yeah, I suppose he'd need a bit more defensive discipline in that area.

Haven't you said the opposite, how we cannot expect anything, whereas others are expecting too much?

He was a key player for the Portuguese champions last season, and has CL and International experience. He's not a kid we are risking everything on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We haven't signed Moreno yet. You would think ppl would learn from the Remy deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lads, there's 4 weeks left in the transfer window and Rodgers has already stated they are looking at bringing a few more players in. There's no panic whatsoever at this stage. We are in a good place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Allen

MR NINE wrote: »
    I agree Coutinho excelled in the deeper central role last season. I think thats where hes at his best. I like the idea of two of coutinho,lallana and henderson playing in front of gerrard in a midfield three. They all offer high energy pressing and great composure in possession, could be a fairly dynamic midfield.
    Option A please

gerrard

henderson
    Coutinho----
    sterling

This all illustrates how tactically flexible Rogders is being, shift a player or two and the emphasis with it

Mignolet
    Johnson Lovren Sahko Moreno
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Allen
    Coutinho
    Sterling-Sturridge

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Coutinho
    ---Sterling
    Markovic
    Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wouldn't rule out a few outings of the 3-5-2 that LVG invented earlier this summer.

Mignolet

Skrtel
    Lovren----Sakho

Johnson
    Moreno

Gerrard----Henderson

Coutinho

Sterling----Sturridge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

MD1990 wrote: »
    We haven't signed Moreno yet. You would think ppl would learn from the Remy deal.

No way man. I'm never learning from anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If we're in the middle of December trading at 1.3ppg and out of the CL then you can expect there to be an ever rising wave of criticism and heated debate after every loss ala 2010 or 2012. Rodgers may be granted another crack at it where Dalglish and Benitez were not, but make no mistake - he won't survive two 2012 / 2013 type seasons in succession.

You can choose to label some or all of the detractors in such a scenario as those with an agenda if you choose. Some of the anger in such a negative scenario will of course be directed at FSG and focus back to our transfer business. But this is a results business. Football changes, that reality doesn't.

Cup run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

This all illustrates how tactically flexible Rogders is being, shift a player or two and the emphasis with it

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Allen
    Coutinho
    Sterling-Sturridge

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Coutinho
    ---Sterling
    Markovic
    Sturridge

I like the look of those two teams. I'd like to see us trying the more attacking option at home against some of the weaker teams. However, I think as the season goes on we might find that Gerrard shoudl naturally drop out against weaker teams as if we play more attacking he could be exposed in the middle whereas Can / Henderson / Allen migh have better fitness to deal with that.

Our most costly summer signing (Lallana) isn't even included above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

ush wrote: »
    Cup run?

We're already out of the cup man :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ush wrote: »
    Cup run?

There was no cup run in 2012 / 13. And 2012 demonstrated that cup runs alone won't save you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement