Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just in case everyone forgot, it's Tuesday not Monday. No need for the meltdown haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Lads, there's 4 weeks left in the transfer window and Rodgers has already stated they are looking at bringing a few more players in. There's no panic whatsoever at this stage. We are in a good place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

This all illustrates how tactically flexible Rogders is being, shift a player or two and the emphasis with it

Mignolet
    Johnson Lovren Sahko Moreno
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Allen
    Coutinho
    Sterling-Sturridge

Mignolet
    Johnson Lovren Sahko Moreno
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Coutinho
    ---Sterling
    Markovic
    Sturridge

Absolutely I was just about to post something similar, even without changing a player it is tactically flexible which will be a massive help throughout games

4-3-3
    Gerrard

Henderson----Coutinho
    Sterling
    Struddge
    Markovic

Can easily become a 4-4-2 diamond or 4-1-2-1-2

Gerrard

hendo
    Inho

Markovic

Sterling--Sturridge

or a 4-2-3-1

Gerrard----Henderson----
    Sterling
    coutinho
    Markovic
    Sturidge

And I think we will see that a lot this year with fluidity in changing shape and position that we certainly wont be set to a rigid formation and sometimes it will be just about getting our best players on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Pepe to Bayern as backup for Neuer
    You would think at his age he would want to be a starter so this seems strange to me
    According to reports in the Italian media Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina is set to join German champions Bayern Munich. The Spanish international has been on loan with Napoli for the past twelve months.

TMW have reported this afternoon that a deal has been put in place for the veteran goalkeeper to move to Germany for around €2m. Pep Guardiola wants to bring in Reina as a back up to German international Manuel Neuer for next season and a deal is looking likely to be finalised today between the two clubs. There has been speculation in the past few months were the Spaniard’s future lay after he has become surplus to requirements at Liverpool.

The Merseyside club brought in Simon Mignolet from Sunderland last summer as is now seen Brendan Rodgers’ number one in the team. When the Belgian international joined Liverpool Reina was straight away loaned out to Napoli for the season where he helped the team to the Coppa Italia title and third place in the league. There was talk that he could remain with Rafa Benitez in with Napoli but in looks it seems now he will be signing for Bayern Munich. Napoli was unable to offer the wages Reina was looking for to remain in Serie A and therefore talks broke down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Pepe to Bayern as backup for Neuer
    You would think at his age he would want to be a starter so this seems strange to me

Someone has to warm up the crowd when they arrive back in Munich with the European Cup.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pepe must have really really pee'd off the club with his actions. I'm pretty sure that he must have been told that he has absolutely no future with us.

He's been linked with Milan and now Bayern, both of which he would be a #2 keeper. With us, I could see him jostling with Mig to be #1. But the club dont seem to be entertaining that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Story in the mail about Alonso being up for sale as he seems out of shape in pre-season and has dropped down the pecking order.

If he did move I'm sure he'd like to go somewhere where he's play regularly but would love to see him back at LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Story in the mail about Alonso being up for sale as he seems out of shape in pre-season and has dropped down the pecking order.

If he did move I'm sure he'd like to go somewhere where he's play regularly but would love to see him back at LFC.

Purely sentimental, doesn't fit our transfer policy, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree with you. It hurt when he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pepe must have really really pee'd off the club with his actions. I'm pretty sure that he must have been told that he has absolutely no future with us.

He's been linked with Milan and now Bayern, both of which he would be a #2 keeper. With us, I could see him jostling with Mig to be #1. But the club dont seem to be entertaining that at all.

That open letter was a huge smack in the face to Rodgers and the club. It only further justified Rodgers decision to get rid at the time. Was really surprised at him with that carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

martyos121 wrote: »
    Purely sentimental, doesn't fit our transfer policy, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree with you. It hurt when he left.

I actually think he'd be better suited to the Gerrard role than Gerrard!!!

He's a better passer and reads the game really well. Also well able to break up play if it was needed. Overall, a better back up to Gerrard than Lucas (not been the same player since his injury).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

rob316 wrote: »
    That open letter was a huge smack in the face to Rodgers and the club. It only further justified Rodgers decision to get rid at the time. Was really surprised at him with that carry on.

....well we have welcomed players back for worse. I reckon there is something else that is covered up by the club which is preventing him from playing for us again.

I actually think he'd be better suited to the Gerrard role than Gerrard!!!

He's a better passer and reads the game really well. Also well able to break up play if it was needed. Overall, a better back up to Gerrard than Lucas (not been the same player since his injury).

Its sounds ridiculous for a player of his calibre but I don't think he would have the legs for Rodgers style. In this system even Rodgers has to do a fair bit of pressing, Alonso wouldnt be able for it.

Its sounds ridiculous for a player of his calibre but I don't think he would have the legs for Rodgers style. In this system even Rodgers has to do a fair bit of pressing, Alonso wouldnt be able for it.

I think his playing days are long over... :pac:

martyos121 wrote: »
    I think his playing days are long over... :pac:

Haha that's what you get for staying up to watch that match last night :D

Gerrard I meant

Haha that's what you get for staying up to watch that match last night :D

I know the feeling, I haven't slept at all with the dissapointment of losing the prestigious Guinness Cup :( Also had something to do with me getting absolutely grilled for a certain post I made...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Could someone pm me a link where I can watch the a replay of the match? Football origin is skipping for me.

Cheers!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

billy2012 wrote: »
    Could someone pm me a link where I can watch the a replay of the match? Football origin is skipping for me.

Cheers!!!

Dunno how you could do it to yourself lad, I couldn't watch it again. Crushing stuff. So close to glory and then.....denied.

Lads, there's 4 weeks left in the transfer window and Rodgers has already stated they are looking at bringing a few more players in. There's no panic whatsoever at this stage. We are in a good place.

I know what you're saying but I'd like if we had our squad sorted for opening day.

We have a tough start.

Messing about the last few days of the transfer window just doesn't work out for us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I know what you're saying but I'd like if we had our squad sorted for opening day.

We have a tough start.

Messing about the last few days of the transfer window just doesn't work out for us

Has it ever happened that all our business was done before the first league game? Has it happened for any big premier league team in the last 15 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

"Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m
    Liverpool have accepted an offer from Bayern Munich for Pepe Reina."

Looks like he's off so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great to get Reina out the door. Hopefully we can find a buyer for Johnson now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fuck though...I know his wages are high, but it's such a shame to see him go to be second choice elsewhere. Would have rathered we kept him as competition, with a genuine chance at staking a claim. Given the money being spent this summer anyway, a loss of his wages and this 2 million euros doesn't seem too bad for 2 quality keepers.

I dunno, just sad this is the way it's ending.

Good enough for Bayern but not Liverpool, right :(

I would have kept him around as he would be much needed competition for Mignolet and aswell as that, he would have helped Moreno and Manquillo settle in a bit quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Has Reina given up on playing football?

Has Reina given up on playing football?

Hes obviously not wanted at the club. It's a shame to see his career with us end like this, as 3rd choice behind Brad bloody Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hes obviously not wanted at the club. It's a shame to see his career with us end like this, as 3rd choice behind Brad bloody Jones.

Strange that he would go to Bayern though. He has no chance of usurping Neuer

If he was as good as we all remember him then there would be a queue of clubs for him
    There isnt, far from it and now he is going to play second fiddle to the best goalie in the world. Says a lot about his lack of ambition if you ask me. Pick up a few handy german league medals and play a few cup games. Sad end for him. Money talks at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

If he was as good as we all remember him then there would be a queue of clubs for him
    There isnt, far from it and now he is going to play second fiddle to the best goalie in the world. Says a lot about his lack of ambition if you ask me. Pick up a few handy german league medals and play a few cup games. Sad end for him. Money talks at the end of the day

Hopefully it spurs us on to get a good keeper in. Wouldn't say no to an upgrade on Mignolet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Strange that he would go to Bayern though. He has no chance of usurping Neuer

He'll be the new club mascot and pic taker on aircraft journeys, oh and play DFB Pokal games.

He's gonna have the weirdest career haul...a whole bunch of incredible medals, almost none of which he'll have actually played a part for.

His only earned titles of any note will likely be the 2006 FA Cup and the 2012 League Cup. (I'm not counting his intertoto cups...)

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's gonna have the weirdest career haul...a whole bunch of incredible medals, almost none of which he'll have actually played a part for.

His only earned titles of any note will likely be the 2006 FA Cup and the 2012 League Cup. (I'm not counting his intertoto cups...)

Nearly as bad as Torres in that regard! Stealing a living! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Reinas departure seemed inevitable for a while. Id say Lucas, Agger and Borini will be following him out the door. Reina, Lucas, Agger and Johnson have all been getting worse over the past couple years. They were all good players for the club at one time, but only Johnson has an important role at the club nowadays. Lucas has really become a shadow of his former self and its a real shame how much damage injuries did to his career. He was developing into an excellent centre mid and was the first name on the teamsheet circa 2011/12. If we were to receive anything near 10m for him now itd be daylight robbery.

We can add a keeper to the list of necessities. Two full backs, a forward and a keeper and I think we're in good nick for the season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Classy display from Alberto.

Saw that vid earlier, while its only a pre-season friendly he looks pretty smooth, that he was the designated corner/dead ball taker may be an indicator that his loan is being taken seriously by Mallagas manager. Hopefully he has a good season and fetches a decent price - I suspect he won't be back. A pity but the No 10 role is overstocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

rossie1977 wrote: »
    anthony le tallec in this piece talks about how going on loan killed his career http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/1512568/anthony-le-tallec-regrets-leaving-liverpool-for-loan-moves
    Loans didn't kill his career - his attitude did. Le Tallec was a Grade A muppet - a very talented individual but he wasn't prepared to apply himself and his career suffered. Benitez questioned his work ethic, Le Tallec's response was to ask to go on loan. Mick McCarthy had similar issues with him while he was on loan at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Rumours on twitter that the Moreno deal has gone tits up.

brevity wrote: »

Ha, practically been waiting to hear that!

To be honest, i'm not terribly worried with the left side anyway...if we get Manquillo and Alves done for the right, i'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Agree the right side needs more sorting than the left right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any reason as to the tits up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

brevity wrote: »

There's rumours on twitter that Beyonce is a man and that the Scorpion Men are taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Coppa Italia 2014?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fuck though...I know his wages are high, but it's such a shame to see him go to be second choice elsewhere.
    Notwithstanding the way he treated the club, can you imagine what it would do to morale in the squad if you had your first choice keeper on £50k a week while your bench warmer is on £100k?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any reason as to the tits up?
    It's Twatter, there doesn't have to be a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Saw that vid earlier, while its only a pre-season friendly he looks pretty smooth, that he was the designated corner/dead ball taker may be an indicator that his loan is being taken seriously by Sevilles manager. Hopefully he has a good season and fetches a decent price - I suspect he won't be back. A pity but the No 10 role is overstocked

Malaga. :p

Can't find a single thing on twitter about Moreno deal "collapsing".

JustLFC @JustLFC_ · 2h

Dirk Kuyt rejected Van Gaal's offer to join United because he "couldn't turn his back on Liverpool fans.

Oh yes today 2009 Xabi Alonso joins Real Madrid

We can only accommodate one ageing world class midfielder in the squad.

Notwithstanding the way he treated the club, can you imagine what it would do to morale in the squad if you had your first choice keeper on £50k a week while your bench warmer is on £100k?

Actually he is on 110k a week which is £5.2m a year which is not far off what we paid for Coutinho! Just to put it in context!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Saw that vid earlier, while its only a pre-season friendly he looks pretty smooth, that he was the designated corner/dead ball taker may be an indicator that his loan is being taken seriously by Sevilles manager. Hopefully he has a good season and fetches a decent price - I suspect he won't be back. A pity but the No 10 role is overstocked

Hopefully it's being taken even more seriously by the Malaga manager for whom he is actually playing for :pac:

I dont like when I see this sort of stuff, makes me nervous even if it is twitter
    Tony Wareing ‏@Tony_The_Red 1h
    Reckon the LFC Band of Journos will report bad news about Moreno tonight or tomorrow if what's coming from Spain is true. #LFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I dont like when I see this sort of stuff, makes me nervous even if it is twitter

I think Marca and the likes are going on about Suso being part of the deal.

There's as much point in trusting them as the Fail so we'll just have to wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement