Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I dont like when I see this sort of stuff, makes me nervous even if it is twitter
    Tony Wareing ‏@Tony_The_Red 1h
    Reckon the LFC Band of Journos will report bad news about Moreno tonight or tomorrow if what's coming from Spain is true. #LFC

Seriously who the hell is Tony Wareing?

You'll find anything on Twitter if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Few people saying it on twitter now, Spanish papers saying the deal has more or less been done and that its for £16m not the £20m originally and also that Moreno has lowered his wage demands. If thats the case they Ayre really deserves a hell of a lot of credit.
    If the deal falls through ill naturally call for his head ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I dont like when I see this sort of stuff, makes me nervous even if it is twitter

That tweet is from someone who's twitter following is approximately 5% of that enjoyed by @anfieldcat

@Tony_The_Red is a spoofer.

Trevor Francis comments being quoted everywhere
    Pretty critical of Lambert and saying we need a £30m striker

Trevor Francis says Brendan Rodgers needs to sign a £30million striker after watching Rickie Lambert’s struggles in pre-season.

England international Lambert arrived from Southampton at the start of the summer in a £4million deal and is the only new striking option in the squad ahead of a Premier League season in which the club are looking to replace the goals of the departed Luis Suarez.

The 32-year-old failed to find the net in any of Liverpool’s International Champions Cup matches in America and after missing a glorious opportunity in the 3-1 defeat to Manchester United in Monday’s final, Francis says Rodgers may be alarmed by his form.

“He would have expected more from Lambert,” said the Sky Sports pundit.

Man Utd 3-1 Liverpool highlights
    “He will try and gloss over it in the best way possible because he wants to keep his confidence high, but this is a player who at the moment is struggling.

“I’ve watched him in three or four games and in one game he was taken off at half-time and today he struggled throughout. He didn’t look comfortable playing in those surroundings.

“He is desperate for a goal. Steven Gerrard scored the goal from the penalty spot and I wish that had been Lambert because he needs a goal. The quicker he gets it, the better for him.

“He’s got an important role to play there.”

Liverpool have splashed the cash following the sale of Suarez with the likes of Emre Can, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Lazar Markovic arriving, while Divock Origi was signed from Lille for £10million and loaned back to the French club.

"There’s £100million spent and only £4million put aside for a striker, that being Lambert. I just think that somewhere along the line the balance is not right."
    Trevor Francis
    Rodgers expects two more signings before the window closes and Francis insists one of those must be a top-level centre forward.

He added: “If they get the left-back Alberto Moreno then I think that’s going to cost close to £20million and that will take the spending up to £110million and £10million of that was spent on Divock Origi who has gone back on loan to Lille.

“So forget the young Belgian player for the moment, there’s £100million spent and only £4million put aside for a striker, that being Lambert.

“I just think that somewhere along the line the balance is not right. He needed a £30milion striker. Don’t ask me who because that’s not my job – that’s why he is in the job and why he has got scouts all over the world looking to try to bring somebody in.

“Ultimately it might come back to bite him. Whatever he’s going to do, he has got to be positive and I believe he’s got to do it before the transfer window closes at the end of August."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Trevor Francis comments being quoted everywhere
    Pretty critical of Lambert and saying we need a £30m striker

It's only pre-season I wouldn't judge him too much, but I'd agree we need to bring in another striker, Ricky Lambert wasn't brought in to replace Suarez, he was brought in to give us another option. Presuming Borini is off, himself and Sturridge are the only two out and out strikers in the squad so if Sturridge were to get injured there would be a lot of pressure on Lambert, which isn't really fair on the guy.

He could be decent, he could be rubbish, but he is never going to replace Luis Suarez. Another striker is badly needed, Rodgers knows it as much as we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Absolutely pointless comments from Francis really...I mean;
    “So forget the young Belgian player for the moment, there’s £100million spent and only £4million put aside for a striker, that being Lambert."

That just completely ignores the fact that Rodgers has already said we're looking for another striker, and the fact that we flew one over who failed a medical.

It's hyperbole and panic for the sake of saying something...anything.

Games like yesterdays are not what Lambert was bought for. Where he'll be useful is when we're piling on the pressure looking for the breakthrough. Those games last season where we dominated, but couldn't find the breakthrough and looked out of ideas in the final 30 minutes. He's never going to work well on the break for us as anything other than a fulcrum.

For our usual game of quick attacking, Remy would have been perfect - and is obviously the type of player Rodgers is looking for.

It's a case of horses for courses, and unfortunately Lambert was the only fit horse yesterday.

Also, have to laugh at Francis commenting that Lambert "in one game was taken off at half time" - It's fuckin' preseason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

But but but but Trevor Francis was Englands first million pound player surely he knows what he is talking about:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Have to say, im surprised by the level of criticism towards Reina.

I guess most of it is down to him just not being as good as he was because to be honest, he was one of the last of the foreign players to want to leave us during the 'dark years'. And that was for a club like Barca.

Just a rhetorical point here, would ye take Mascherano back today if it was an option?. I'd say most everyone would, i would, man went virtually on strike to leave us, must be his level of form then, because he wouldnt deserve anything less than Reina imho.

Yet, i'd roll out the red carpet if it was possible.

Anyway, i wont be getting into any debate over that. All im saying is i cant really criticise a guy for something i would 100% do myself, that includes the Barca stuff and the wages stuff. I would like to play for my dad's team and i'd also hold out for the best $ if i was a player in my 30's.

It's a nice move for Reina and suits everyone at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Reina off to Bayern 2m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

When's the Champ League group draw take place?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Augmerson wrote: »
    When's the Champ League group draw take place?

Around the 29th or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I was listening to Francis live, there is a reason he covers pre season and 2 in the morning.

From Sturridge's Facebook. :)

Studgie G...

10583931_530548567046216_4637780519441382424_n.jpg

Such a pity this isnt true!

dtpKvLS.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AlL the talk of Lavezzi and people here seem to be happy enough with him.

He's scored 23 goals in 90 games in 2 seasons for PSG.

Also, he's 29 year old.

Is that what we're looking for?

murpho999 wrote: »

Also, he's 29 year old.

He is not what I want, too erratic and not an out and out striker

Elsewhere this is a great read on Reina v Mingolet
    Too long to post so link here
    http://basstunedtored.com/2014/08/05/mignolet-vs-reina-201314/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

murpho999 wrote: »

Also, he's 29 year old.

No, I wouldn't be happy with him.

But a number of fans just want a big name signing, it doesn't matter what his record is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

daithijjj wrote: »
    Have to say, im surprised by the level of criticism towards Reina.

I guess most of it is down to him just not being as good as he was because to be honest, he was one of the last of the foreign players to want to leave us during the 'dark years'. And that was for a club like Barca.

Just a rhetorical point here, would ye take Mascherano back today if it was an option?. I'd say most everyone would, i would, man went virtually on strike to leave us, must be his level of form then, because he wouldnt deserve anything less than Reina imho.

Yet, i'd roll out the red carpet if it was possible.

Anyway, i wont be getting into any debate over that. All im saying is i cant really criticise a guy for something i would 100% do myself, that includes the Barca stuff and the wages stuff. I would like to play for my dad's team and i'd also hold out for the best $ if i was a player in my 30's.

It's a nice move for Reina and suits everyone at this stage.

Masch left when the club was an absolute mess and Hodgson was in charge.

He was right to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

djPSB wrote: »

He was right to leave.

He could have been a proper professional and played against City. Beaten three nil that night iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

lavezzi is a big name but doesnt live up to it. id have much rathered balotelli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I like Lavezzi a lot, but regardless whether we were to sign him or not, the striker issue remains the same.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    lavezzi is a big name but doesnt live up to it. id have much rathered balotelli.

Bony isn't fancy enough for some but I guarantee he would score more than Lavezzi and Balotelli combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Id take Lavezzi as long as we still brought in a centre forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

djPSB wrote: »

He was right to leave.

I'd have to agree, that was a dark period for LFC. It reminds me of Robbie Fowlers description of Leeds & how he was advised to get out ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

The Chilean manager has come out saying United are in for vidal but his injury causing the hold up.

Had hoped this was all paper talk all along but this is a credible interview all but saying vidal wants to leave and United are in for him as long as injury doesn't hold it up. I'd be absolutely gutted if they get him. Looks like it's only a matter of time. One of the best box to box midfielders going to a our rival at a time we have money to burn also. He's be a a huge player for us. On top of sanchez, cesc and Costa going to rivals and us losing our best player it's bloody depressing we can't bring in the same calibre of player and all our rivals can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Fescue wrote: »
    Bony isn't fancy enough for some but I guarantee he would score more than Lavezzi and Balotelli combined.

id take bony too. 20 odd goals last season for swansea..hard to find faults with that

MarkY91 wrote: »
    id take bony too. 20 odd goals last season for swansea..hard to find faults with that

With the amount of chances that Coutinho, Sterling et al create, a pure goal scorer would surely prosper. Someone in the box waiting for opportunities.

I could see him playing with Sturridge too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There's not going to be a photoshop of that now is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Pity we never signed Costa!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

Reina signs for Munich according to SSN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I always liked Coates, think he has the potential to be very good. Has been unfortunate with injuries.
    Liverpool defender Sebastian Coates says he is hoping to stay and impress at Anfield after returning from injury, but admits the decision may not be down to him.

The 23-year-old, who joined in 2011, failed to make a single Premier League appearance last season as a knee injury kept him sidelined, before returning on loan to former club Nacional in January.

Coates is yet to truly establish himself on Merseyside and has featured just 24 times in all competitions during his three-year stay with the Reds.

"I would like to stay at Liverpool and play, but that doesn’t depend only on me. It depends on the manager and the club."

Sebastian Coates

The Uruguay international has been linked with a departure this summer following the arrival of Dejan Lovren from Southampton, but he plans on fighting for a place in the side despite the increased competition in defence.

"Last season was really difficult. I had a bad injury and after being out for so long, it's great to be back fit," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"I try always to give my best and I know I need to improve more on the other years that I've been in England.

"The manager is watching me closely - like he is with all the other players - and I need to keep performing well.

"I would like to stay at Liverpool and play, but that doesn't depend only on me. It depends on the manager and the club.

"They will decide what happens. After being out for so long, I need to play. If I do stay I want to play more than I did in the other years."

Uruguay team-mate Luis Suarez has already exited the club to join Barcelona this summer, but Coates insists that move will have no bearing on his own future.

"Just because Luis has gone, that doesn't mean that I want to go," he said.

"He's a different player and a different person. I must take care of my own future."

Peach!!

8-10 wrote: »
    There's not going to be a photoshop of that now is there?

We live in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bit surprised reina is going to a club knowing full well he will be strictly back up there, tis nice to get a fee for him and get him off the books too. Its best for both parties to part ways at this stage, best of luck pepe.

do we bring in a number 2 who is an upgrade on jones or do we wait a year and see how mignolet gets on as we could be looking at needing a new number 1

redzerdrog wrote: »
    do we bring in a number 2 who is an upgrade on jones or do we wait a year and see how mignolet gets on as we could be looking at needing a new number 1

I'd look at bringing in a replacement for Mignolet. Most of that is based on his distribution. How many times can a goalkeeper kick the ball out of play?

• Advertisement

Reina will have a nice medal collection as a back up keeper when he retires if Munich win as much over the next few seasons as they did over the last few seasons.

The reason people don't want Bony is quite simple, it's because he plays for Swansea. His record over the last few years is phenomenonal and he would be a great signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lille through to the final qualifying round for the Champions League. Would be great to see them progress, Origi might get some vital experience.

The reason people don't want Bony is quite simple, it's because he plays for Swansea. His record over the last few years is phenomenonal and he would be a great signing.

I saw someone on Twitter say if Bony had scored 16 goals for Valencia or a team in Spain and we were offering £19 million for him, people would be falling over themselves with excitement.

• Advertisement

I want Arda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No it's been discussed at length he doesn't fit the current playing style. He isn't versatile enough to play across the front 3 which is why remy was better suited.

But if rodgers reckons he can fit in, I'm all for it as he has a very good record in a poor Swansea side and the Dutch league.

I saw someone on Twitter say if Bony had scored 16 goals for Valencia or a team in Spain and we were offering £19 million for him, people would be falling over themselves with excitement.

It's true too.

Soldado being the perfect example, an awful lot of Liverpool fans wanted him based on his record in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's nothing to do with fanciness.

We want to play Sturridge up front as our central striker because he's better than Bony or anyone else we're likely to get.

That means our new attacker has to either be able to play alongside Sturridge in the wide positions (as Sanchez and Remy could have) or be cheap enough in fee and wages and have the right sort of attitude to sit on the bench.

Bony fulfills neither of those conditions.

rob316 wrote: »
    No it's been discussed at length he doesn't fit the current playing style. He isn't versatile enough to play across the front 3 which is why remy was better suited.

We need a STRIKER apparently, not someone who can play across the front 3. There are few better than Bony available at that price who won't be annoyed spending time on the bench throughout the season.

Btw, I'd rather sign someone who can play the positions you mentioned but Rodgers has stated he wants a striker. There are few I can think of I would prefer to Bony.

I'd look at bringing in a replacement for Mignolet. Most of that is based on his distribution. How many times can a goalkeeper kick the ball out of play?

id give Mignolet another season to be honest and then reasses, it a pity about Reina as he would have been good competition but i dont see us bringing in someone to compete more likely a young back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Lille through to the final qualifying round for the Champions League. Would be great to see them progress, Origi might get some vital experience.

Can he play against Liverpool if drawn in the same group?

Gbear wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with fanciness.

We want to play Sturridge up front as our central striker because he's better than Bony or anyone else we're likely to get.

That means our new attacker has to either be able to play alongside Sturridge in the wide positions (as Sanchez and Remy could have) or be cheap enough in fee and wages and have the right sort of attitude to sit on the bench.

Bony fulfills neither of those conditions.

I agree Sturridge should be the main man. But he seems to miss a lot of games through injury. Why not have another centre forward at the club. Chelsea, United and City have at least two proper centre forwards.

I think there will be enough games for 2 quality strikers. Especially given Sturridges injury problems.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    id give Mignolet another season to be honest and then reasses, it a pity about Reina as he would have been good competition but i dont see us bringing in someone to compete more likely a young back up

I'd love a bid for Cech

I'd love a bid for Cech

don't think he is a realistic target but id deffo take him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement