Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

redzerdrog wrote: »
    id give Mignolet another season to be honest and then reasses, it a pity about Reina as he would have been good competition but i dont see us bringing in someone to compete more likely a young back up

I don't see his distribution improving, he just isn't great with his feet. But there aren't too many options out there as far as I'm aware.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

redzerdrog wrote: »
    don't think he is a realistic target but id deffo take him

Hes going to be available in January I would imagine and stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

8-10 wrote: »
    Can he play against Liverpool if drawn in the same group?

Fairly sure that he can

Edit..but don't worry we have photos of him when he was 15 that he won't want published

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Fescue wrote: »
    Bony isn't fancy enough for some but I guarantee he would score more than Lavezzi and Balotelli combined.
    There's not going to be a photoshop of that now is there?
    We live in hope.

8M2y3XR.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'd love a bid for Cech

Only if he gets rid of that stupid fcuking skull cap....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

EWsnR5D.jpg

Lavezzotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like lavezzi is pretty good in and around the box if twitter is anything to go by should add a few mill onto his price tag....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I agree Sturridge should be the main man. But he seems to miss a lot of games through injury. Why not have another centre forward at the club. Chelsea, United and City have at least two proper centre forwards.

I think there will be enough games for 2 quality strikers. Especially given Sturridges injury problems.

I believe it can be harder for strikers more than any other position to maintain a high level of consistent form over the course of the season, and I also believe that it's absolutely vital that you have a striker in your team who you can count on in every match to put goals in.

It would be too much to expect that not only does Sturridge stay injury-free, but that he is always firing on all cylinders week in week out. You have to expect a period where things might not quite go for him.

Sturridge, another, and Lambert is not overkill in the striking department imo, and is in fact very necessary, especially when you consider the extra games. It gives us far more leeway in terms of formation change as well - the diamond becomes a real possibility again.

I stand firmly on the side of Striker in the Striker vs Wing-forward debate. With Ibe showing some promise and considering the options we have in midfield might push Lallana into a wide midfield role, I believe this is a less pressing area of the team. Getting a Centre-forward who could also function out wide would be a bonus, but I no longer feel a necessity (remember Sturridge can play this role if needs be). I would deal on a striker who can bring a lot of goals to the team, can play backup with Sturridge, compete with Sturridge, or play alongside Sturridge.

Would I be happy with Bony as that player? I wouldn't be deliriously excited, but I do believe he's around the level we should be looking at and has a real proven track record of bringing goals to the table. I can't think of many more realistic options that I'd be clamoring for ahead of him. I made a case earlier for Lacazette, given that he looks like he can play wide too and looks a very impressive player. but the slight problem would be that he is maybe a little bit of a risk having just 1 standout season under his belt, and I believe we may have already played our potential/risk card with Markovic.

Bony seems a very solid option - you should know what you're getting. You could be confident that he would surely bring goals to the team and we definitely need them. For this reason and because of the lack (as far as I can see) of many viable alternatives, I would gladly see him on board even if he is slightly less versatile than we would like in an ideal world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

ratracer wrote: »
    Only if he gets rid of that stupid fcuking skull cap....

I don't think he wears it as a fashion statement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Re Morzadec above

That's why nabbing Firmino would be attractive, he is an attacking midfielder but who has played as a second striker while Volland scores as a right sided attacker. Either of them would be a great addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Saw that vid earlier, while its only a pre-season friendly he looks pretty smooth, that he was the designated corner/dead ball taker may be an indicator that his loan is being taken seriously by Mallagas manager.

Step up from being the designated driver for the lads on the tear in Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Phoenix wrote: »
    If ye buy Cech off us part of the deal is you take Moses and Torres for good haha :pac:

He's not that good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Phoenix wrote: »
    If ye buy Cech off us part of the deal is you take Moses and Torres for good haha :pac:

Moses is a saboteur, ye keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

klose wrote: »
    Looks like lavezzi is pretty good in and around the box if twitter is anything to go by should add a few mill onto his price tag....

Looks like a real captain as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As an aside, on strikers, Heerenveen once again have a ridiculous goalscorer on their hands in Alfred Finnbogason. Those guys do a hell of a job unearthing ridiculous strikers, especially considering the size of the club.

He's got 53 goals in 65 games so far. Dutch league obviously, but it seems like more often then not the guys with incredible records there, were unearthed by Heerenveen. Their stand-out guys actually tend to go on to be successful elsewhere too - Jon Dahl Tomasson, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Ruud Van Nistlerooy for example. The notable exception being Afonso Alves.

I frankly know shag all about the guy, other than that he's composed as **** in front of goal. They seem to inject ice into the veins of their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    As an aside, on strikers, Heerenveen once again have a ridiculous goalscorer on their hands in Alfred Finnbogason. Those guys do a hell of a job unearthing ridiculous strikers, especially considering the size of the club.

He's got 53 goals in 65 games so far. Dutch league obviously, but it seems like more often then not the guys with incredible records there, were unearthed by Heerenveen. Their stand-out guys actually tend to go on to be successful elsewhere too - Jon Dahl Tomasson, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Ruud Van Nistlerooy for example. The notable exception being Afonso Alves.

I frankly know shag all about the guy, other than that he's composed as **** in front of goal. They seem to inject ice into the veins of their players.

Not good enough for Liverpool I'd say

Huntelaar, I'd take ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Is he not gone to real sociedad anyways or was that the other icelandic striker in the eredevisie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

He is a life long man u supporter ,how much would he cost

Is he not gone to real sociedad anyways or was that the other icelandic striker in the eredevisie?

Hadn't heard that but not surprised, it's time for him to move. Other player you're thinking of is Sigthorsson who might go to QPR. Would have thought a team like Southampton would be a better fit but QPR is the strong link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah apparently he has, hadn't realized. Wasn't necessarily talking about signing him anyway, just find it interesting how some clubs have this knack for spotting forwards before anyone else. Same goes for Porto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Hadn't heard that but not surprised, it's time for him to move. Other player you're thinking of is Sigthorsson who might go to QPR. Would have thought a team like Southampton would be a better fit but QPR is the strong link

Think Tadic is a very good signing for Southampton. You like him?

billy2012 wrote: »

Was actually just about to mention him in reference to the post above yours mentioning Porto!

I was going to make the point about FC Groningen being another club who seem to have a good eye for talent. Koeman himself started there and more recently they produced Arjen Robben as well as bringing Luis Suarez and Tadic to Holland.

I like Tadic from what I've seen and can see him being Lallana's replacement as everybody's reporting him as. To be honest I'm more interested in seeing Pelle in the EPL, he'll either be incredibly prolific or completely bomb. He should be great but my concern is adapting to the league at his age.

Tadic I've seen maybe 3 times and is good value. Main worry would be that Southampton team overall. He's one of those players where if his team plays well you'll remember him from the game doing well. If they're poor then maybe he'll be anonymous.

I think a Southampton or Newcastle to replace a Lallana or Cabaye is the sort of level that's right for him. Those are the same types of players that you feel made the difference when you see a good team performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I wouldn't mind the club going for Adebayor. Fair enough he can switch off at times but when he is on he is top class. We realistically only need him for a year or so, it could be worth a punt. I'd say we'd get him for a decent price too. Him and Sturridge on form could be lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I wonder what wages Reina has agreed at Bayern to be their #2? I can't see them paying him £100,000 a week on the off chance that Neuer is injured?? Surely they aren't that flush? Wouldn't a 34/35 year old experienced keeper past his best but still good for 10-15 games a season if needed or a 21 year old up and coming happy to learn and take their chance if it comes make more sense both of whom would be happy with £30,000 a week?

I don't get why Reina is, at 31 years of age, happy to throw in the towel on his career (this time last year he was working towards replacing Valdes as Barcelona's #1) unless he is indeed getting close to the £100,000 a week he was getting at LFC and Bayern are giving him a 3 year contract and if so I don't get why Bayern are actually prepared to spunk £15m over three years on a back up keeper!!!

Confused.com to say the least :confused:

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I wouldn't mind the club going for Adebayor. Fair enough he can switch off at times but when he is on he is top class. We realistically only need him for a year or so, it could be worth a punt. I'd say we'd get him for a decent price too. Him and Sturridge on form could be lethal.

Not for me. He causes disruption wherever he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I wouldn't mind the club going for Adebayor.
    Wash your mouth out!!! Adebayor is toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

BenThere wrote: »
    Surely they aren't that flush?

I think the have something like a couple of hundred million in cash reserves.

But I still can't see them paying Reina a 100k a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Absolutely pointless comments from Francis really...I mean;

That just completely ignores the fact that Rodgers has already said we're looking for another striker, and the fact that we flew one over who failed a medical.

It's hyperbole and panic for the sake of saying something...anything.

Games like yesterdays are not what Lambert was bought for. Where he'll be useful is when we're piling on the pressure looking for the breakthrough. Those games last season where we dominated, but couldn't find the breakthrough and looked out of ideas in the final 30 minutes. He's never going to work well on the break for us as anything other than a fulcrum.

For our usual game of quick attacking, Remy would have been perfect - and is obviously the type of player Rodgers is looking for.

It's a case of horses for courses, and unfortunately Lambert was the only fit horse yesterday.

Also, have to laugh at Francis commenting that Lambert "in one game was taken off at half time" - It's fuckin' preseason!

Less talk of horses please, big old Andy is still fresh in the memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Suarezistheman whatever else you do in your life please think very carefully about your next name change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

BenThere wrote: »
    Wash your mouth out!!! Adebayor is toxic.

I'd take him purely to piss off Spurs fans.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Suarezistheman whatever else you do in your life please think very carefully about your next name change!

Maybe johnsonistheman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I want Arda!

I want scarlet Johansen.

But I need to perfect my rohypnol gun first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Disappointed to see Reina go. He's a better keeper than Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Vicxas wrote: »
    I want scarlet Johansen.

But I need to perfect my rohypnol gun first.

great banter, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

billy2012 wrote: »

there's an absolute dearth of players that I can get excited about us signing in this position. I mean they don't have to be superhuman and Suarez, but just meet certain criteria: youngish but not unproven (so, 22-27), has consistently performed (~15 goals per season), is pacey (successful dribble % would probably do, or low dispossession %), can play in a relatively interchangeable front line...

Bony actually ticks a lot of these boxes, though is more "physical" than pacey. Has been over 15 goals per season for last two seasons, but his last season (16 goals) was very mixed with long barren spells... while he technically ticks the boxes, I'd be inclined to rule him out as I don't think he'd be interchangeable with others, and I don't class him as pacey so much as strong. Dusan Tadic would've theoretically fit the model, and may well be a good signing for Southampton but I'm not 100% confident... as someone rightly points out here, if the team around him isn't faring well, he may come off looking badly.

Ben Yedder fits the criteria reasonably nicely. I think he's probably the closest match I can think of to the criteria I'd want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Can't believe the hate for Lavezzi...quality player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

there's an absolute dearth of players that I can get excited about us signing in this position. I mean they don't have to be superhuman and Suarez, but just meet certain criteria: youngish but not unproven (so, 22-27), has consistently performed (~15 goals per season), is pacey (successful dribble % would probably do, or low dispossession %), can play in a relatively interchangeable front line...

Bony actually ticks a lot of these boxes, though is more "physical" than pacey. Has been over 15 goals per season for last two seasons, but his last season (16 goals) was very mixed with long barren spells... while he technically ticks the boxes, I'd be inclined to rule him out as I don't think he'd be interchangeable with others, and I don't class him as pacey so much as strong. Dusan Tadic would've theoretically fit the model, and may well be a good signing for Southampton but I'm not 100% confident... as someone rightly points out here, if the team around him isn't faring well, he may come off looking badly.

Ben Yedder fits the criteria reasonably nicely. I think he's probably the closest match I can think of to the criteria I'd want.
    I agree with you about Bony, he plays at a pedestrian pace but technically he would be a good fit.

Giuseppe Rossi is the kind of player the club should be going for. Fiorentina picked him up for a bargain price of €11M in 2013. He was the top scorer in Serie A before he got injured in January. He's a goal machine and is versatile - could play as the central striker or either of the wide positions. Unfortunately his knees may never pass the medical at Liverpool but he is certainly worth taking a chance on.

Alexandre Pato is also available and could play the role. He has never been a prolific scorer but he has Champions League experience from his time at Milan and is still relatively young at 24.

I think that Rodgers wants Jay Rodriguez and is prepared to wait until January to get him, he won't be fit until then anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

SlickRic wrote: »
    y

Whaddya mean why?

Its our year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Think its his goalscoring return, or lack that people are against

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Lots of talk this morning that A. Madrid are about to bid £25m for Schurrle
    Ive said it before but he really could be an outstanding player in a year or two
    He can play across the front 3, has lightening pace and can score (at times)
    He reminds me of Henry before he joined Arsenal, endless potential but missing the end product at times. Showed what a player he was in the WC. I personally would be over the moon if we got him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ive said it before but he really could be an outstanding player in a year or two
    He reminds me of Henry before he joined Arsenal, endless potential but missing the end product at times. Showed what a player he was in the WC. I personally would be over the moon if we got him

Didn't schurrle just sign last year?

If so I'd say his fee would be higher no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

This Reina deal is a bit of a funny one.
    He has obviously lost his edge and is settling for the security of money and "involvement" at a top club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The Argentinian Dirk Kuyt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Dammit. I've just wasted 45 mins of my life trying to get a damn table into this!

Basically was showing Bony's record for last season and overall 24 goals in all competitions. 16 goals in the League with 4 penalties.

Not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Jose seems to rate Schurrle a lot, can't see him going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

The Argentinian Dirk Kuyt!

Kuyt actually scores more goals per game than Levazzi has throughout his career

Kuyt
    Liverpool 51 in 208 (0.24)
    Fenerbache 18 in 63 (0.28)
    Holland 24 in 103 (0.23)

Levazzi
    PSG 12 in 60 (0.2)
    Napoli 38 in 156 (0.24)
    Argentina 4 in 37 (0.1)

I personally have no idea why we would be so excited by the prospect of him joining, is not an out and out striker, doesnt score enough goals, is 29 and would demand a huge wage. Pass to be honest. Kuyt could play up front, as a RW as a RWB and probably as a RB at this stage. He would cost a fiver

We could find a much better player for that money if you ask me when wages are factored into the equation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jose seems to rate Schurrle a lot, can't see him going anywhere.

And Chelsea will never do business with us again unless It is for way over the odds. Jose views us as a direct rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I personally have no idea why we would be so excited by the prospect of him joining, is not an out and out striker, doesnt score enough goals, is 29 and would demand a huge wage. Pass to be honest. Kuyt could play up front, as a RW as a RWB and probably as a RB at this stage. He would cost a fiver

I said the same yesterday, definate pass. If he wasn't an Argie playing at PSG, we wouldn't be talking about this. He has ability, but he doesn't score half enough in a free scoring team/league. He'd need to be a regular starter to keep up fitness and keep him happy, which means driving someone like Coutinho or Lallana to the bench - no way.

At least with Bony, he'd accept that he won't start every game, he's see the bigger picture that comes with stepping up to a big team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

This Reina deal is a bit of a funny one.
    He has obviously lost his edge and is settling for the security of money and "involvement" at a top club.

Nah, I think Reina not getting Barca last year made him give up. He'll spend a few seasons with Bayern, pick up a few medals and then go to MLS or Qatar, wherever he'll pick up a bigger pay check and then retire from football where he'll become a pundit.

Great career path.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement