Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Chelsea are willing to let Schurrle go and I really can't believe they are.

I'd be very happy to see the club out bid Atletico for him.

Chelsea do seem happy to sell players if there value for them is matched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The Metro also tells me that Reus can be bought by Liverpool for 20m....The Metro is where truth goes to die.

Throw 30 at him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Liverpool are not replacing Suarez, there not being anyone out there at Liverpool can afford (or would want to play for Liverpool right now).

The club are doing exactly the correct thing to promote sustainable growth, this summer was not designed to get Liverpool to win the league, rather its a development programme for a Top 4 finish.

Indeed, last season was an aberration really, it can be easy to get carried away and forget that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Paid more to sit on the bench than the goalkeeper he is understudy to and most of the starting 11. Not to mention his letter. Can see why the club don't want him around.

That point cannot be understated either though, and Kess summed up why he should be gone too a few days ago.
    I could be very wrong on the timeline of comments, but I got the feeling that Reina was always going to be number 2 once Mignolet was signed, rather than being given a shot at genuinely competing for the jersey. No doubt the Barca interest didn't help matters, but I wonder was Reina told that he wasn't going to be top dog, regardless, hence his alarming change of attitude. Also it has to be said, he was always a Rafa player, rather than a Liverpool player - in my opinion.

If the likes of Diego Lopez or Llloris (Or their ilk of player) became available,then as a CL club, Liverpool should absolutely be in for them. No different to Ospina or Navas. Obviously work permits in certain cases can be issues, but both of those keepers would have been attainable. Also it has to be said, as it was during Reina's time, that Mignolet surely knows he is number 1 so long as he doesn't do a Joe Hart. That cannot be good, because even a sub-conscious drop in mentality is potentially disastrous for a keeper moreso than any other position, and competition, proper competition from a proper rival/understudy will naturally keep standards high.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Knex. wrote: »
    My biggest issue with Bony is his desperate lack of speed, contrasted against Rodgers love for it.

We need a striker, first and foremost. If they can double out wide, all the better, but to be fair, we have enough players who can play well out wide or as a CAM.

It always seems to take us ages to negotiate with teams, which is why I can see how come people are nervous about us not signing a striker in time.

He is not that slow though, people are saying he is Gerrard slow which is far from the truth. What he brings to the team is an aerial presence which we have never had before, think of the damage he would do on the end of Gerrard/Coutinhos dead balls, his link up play is much better than Sturridges and will midfield runners like we have this is almost more important than his ability to make those runs and finally he offers something we havent had since Gerrard played with Torres, someone who can score from distance. He is also 2 footed.
    If he joined he and Sturridge would hit the 40 goals between them mark even with rotation and assuming no major injuries.
    Not sure who else we could sign for that money that would offer the same.
    Certainly Levazzi, Lachette, Munriel etc certainly wouldnt give you that and they would also not be able to fill in for Sturidge when he inevitably misses 10+ games through injury.

Have a look at some of his assists here for what im talking about

• Advertisement

The Metro also tells me that Reus can be bought by Liverpool for 20m....The Metro is where truth goes to die.

See my post above, the source is actually front page of this mornings Bild
    Take what you want from that as they are as erratic as Djbriel Cisses shooting at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Looking at Bony vs Lambert last season:

Bony 14 league goals 4 penalties. ( 2 games where Bony scored 2 goals)

Lambert 12 league goals 3 penalties. (Lambert didn't score more than 1 goal in any game)

I don't see a whole lot of difference really.

If Remy fell through then it should be another striker similar to Remy that we should be going after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tusky wrote: »
    Can't believe the season is a week and a half away and we haven't replaced Suarez. We have a stronger squad, but a weaker first eleven than last season. Considering the money we had to spend, that is shocking.

It's very worrying tbh :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I watched an interview where Jose was saying Chelsea need to reduce thier number of non-home grown players. It would not be one of thier strikers (Torres/Costa/Drogba).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I watched an interview where Jose was saying Chelsea need to reduce thier number of non-home grown players. It would not be one of thier strikers (Torres/Costa/Drogba).

They seem to be playing by the FFP rules as well. They set a value on a player and if it's met they will sell. Mata, Luiz, Lukaku, De Bruyne all in the last 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Apparently Atletico Madrid want Schurrle, still cant see him being sold, it makes no sense. The playuers that were sold werent wanted/needed, Schurrle falls into neither category.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »

Worse comes to worse we just dont register one of the players. We need 4 HG players and at the most 17 non HG players.

The 4 HG to choose from are Cahill, JT, Cesc, Moses, Josh McEchran as players U21 dont have to be registered, whcih means players like Van Ginkel and Salah dont count towards the 17 non HG players.

Worse case scenario someone like Mikel is unregistered or even Schwarzer if we're keeping Cech/Courtois.

The only way Schurrle leaves is if he wants out.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Looking at Bony vs Lambert last season:

Bony 14 league goals 4 penalties. ( 2 games where Bony scored 2 goals)

Lambert 12 league goals 3 penalties. (Lambert didn't score more than 1 goal in any game)

I don't see a whole lot of difference really.

If Remy fell through then it should be another striker similar to Remy that we should be going after.

When you put it like that he doesn't look as good. From the bits I watched of him he was a bit frustrating for me, I don't know if his touch is that great for what we need, and we need a player that has that. I know Sturridge can be a bit selfish but I find his hold up play pretty decent most of the time. Again, I've mentioned before a few times, we don't really use traditional hold up play much, it's generally quick counter attack, and if the options aren't there then hold it up and pass it to the supporting players. Lambert should give us the more traditional hold up play as an option.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool are not replacing Suarez, there not being anyone out there at Liverpool can afford (or would want to play for Liverpool right now).

The club are doing exactly the correct thing to promote sustainable growth, this summer was not designed to get Liverpool to win the league, rather its a development programme for a Top 4 finish.

That's simply not true. Liverpool could afford absolutely anyone this transfer window - something that will not be true in future windows. The club finished second last year and is the Champions League - why would top players not want to come?

And I'm not worried about not winning the league. I'm worried about falling out of the top four.

The attitude seems to be - we're never going to be able to replace Suarez because he's too good, so let's not even try. We may not be able to get someone as good as him, but why not get the best possible player we can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I do understand that playing hardball knocks a few quid off a player's value, but I remain uncomfortable on the basis of our recent record in this regard. We have not demonstrated a competency in closing off drawn out deals to our satisfaction over the past few transfer windows.

That's simply not true. Liverpool could afford absolutely anyone this transfer window - something that will not be true in future windows. The club finished second last year and is the Champions League - why would top players not want to come?

And I'm not worried about not winning the league. I'm worried about falling out of the top four.

The attitude seems to be - we're never going to be able to replace Suarez because he's too good, so let's not even try. We may not be able to get someone as good as him, but why not get the best possible player we can?

How do you know Falcao isn't available or won't come before you put in an £80m offer for example? I read some rumours (maybe bull****) that he's available. We have CL ball, why not offer a pile of cash to player and club and see? Why should we feel we can't have a player like that in our current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

And who's the Best Possible Player, if I may ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Have a look at some of his assists here for what im talking about

To be honest, he looks shocking in that! The odd trick, coming deep to flick on balls, two very average penalties, no obvious pace and looks like he'd rather kick it hard than run with it.
    Well maybe not shocking, but for a season (or 2?) of highlights, that's not good...

He's a compact Djibril Cissé...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Ok first off, Liverpools "unacceptable" policy in the transfer window has shaved £6m off of Morenos transfer price and seen him lower his wage demands according to Tony Barrett.
    If the Swansea press are to be believed it has led to Swansea dropping the £19m release clause in Bonys transfer but we are still not making an offer because the Echo is saying his wage demands are too high.
    If we are actually interested in him, our "unacceptable" strategy will mean we buy him for less than £19m and his wages will be lower than he will have originally demanded. This is a 25 year old player on a 5 year contract, surely to God its worth 4 weeks of haggling to save the club £2/3/4/5/6/7/8m over the course of his contract.
    Is there something in the water that has people panicing with 3+ weeks still left in the transfer window?
    We have a war chest because of Suarez but does that mean we should go throw it away on big money transfers who could turn out to be nothing but mercenaries ? I would think no personally. If it means we sign something like David Villa for 6 months till January (which is possibly but improbable) rather than spluring £30m on another Andy Carroll then I for one would be happy to see the club do that. Paying above the odds is fine if the State of Qatar is your backer but we are not in that bracket.

Personally I don't believe that Moreno will be bought for £6m less than what Sevilla wanted. €6m possibly.
    I don't really understand what you're saying re Bony's release clause and what Liverpool will eventually pay for him. Sorry on that one.

What I deem unacceptable, is with the final throws of pre-season upon us, the club are still ueber-reliant on Daniel Sturridge to score goals. It's that simple. Last season, in my view, Liverpool were incredibly fortunate with injuries and suspensions (obviously Suarez and Enrique excepted). at the moment, they're one hamstring tweak away for being severely hamstrung for the opening portion of the season.
    Sure the club could walk out tomorrow and unveil Huntelaar, Bony, Cerci or whoever. That still leaves 4-8 weeks of a player having to settle in to a new area, new language, schools for kids, source house etc. All the external factors that affect people mentally (or holistically if you prefer), even footballers.
    To add to my quoted post, this is a season whereby the futures of a few clubs could be cemented for the short to mid future. Forget City and Chelsea. Look at Arsenal, Spurs, United, and possibly Everton. United were/are on the ropes, but there is a huge positivity there at present. You would have to expect that they're going to be a force again this season, and are going to have aspirations (however misguided) of the title, nevermind just the CL. Arsenal's squad are quite strong, and they would have to be considered favourites for one of the two remaining CL spaces. Spurs are behind, but not to the degree whereby Liverpool can afford to drop off the pace incredibly. It really is between United and Liverpool for that final spot I feel. United could probably, just about, afford another season out of the CL. Could Liverpool? I don't believe they can. Sterling if he continues his trajectory, is going to be a star. Coutinho is on the way. There is absolutely nothing to say that bids won't be coming in for their likes if Liverpool don't make the CL next season, and all the money in the world won't be able to replace them without the CL.

Sure all of that can be classed as panic, hyperbole and opinion, but sure most of whats posted around here is the same. I just don't feel the urgency is there, at a time when urgency, and the best possible preparations are going to be vital this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

There are numerous reasons for players at the level of Suarez not wanting to come.

Ones that come to mind straight away

-Not been consistent challengers/qualifiers for CL in last 5 years (a 1 season, possible 1 off isn't enough)
    -Location (we can't compete with London based clubs, or PSG or even the big guns in Spain)
    -Wages (we don't offer 200k off the bat , you want to be in that echelon of player at Anfield...you earn it)

Yes we have the transfer funds... we've used them to strengthen the squad and there is money still there, we've gotten all our targets so far apart from Sanchez. Problem now is we don't know who the target is.

Yes there's a gaping hole where Suarez once was , but , as I previously posted I believe Rodgers sees Sterling as the eventual replacement in there.

There are still 3 weeks to go in the window...I'll start panicking if, on the final day we still need a forward and will be apoplectic if Ayre ends up closing up the office at 8pm.

Not worried ...yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Dare to Zlatan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I can see why we don't want him around but also can see why Bayern are willing to pay to have him on the bench. Their goals are obviously bigger than ours, they are more serious about the business of winning the CL than we are ultimately.

Or, they are richer than we are.

When you have limited resources, as we do, they have to be apportioned in the most efficient way possible. Paying our reserve goalkeeper £100K a week makes no sense in that regard. No way is this a lack of ambition on our part. The only party in all this lacking ambition is Reina.

How do you know Falcao isn't available or won't come before you put in an £80m offer for example? I read some rumours (maybe bull****) that he's available. We have CL ball, why not offer a pile of cash to player and club and see? Why should we feel we can't have a player like that in our current situation?

Do you actually want us to pay £80M for Falcao? That is your answer?

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

K-9 wrote: »
    When you put it like that he doesn't look as good. From the bits I watched of him he was a bit frustrating for me, I don't know if his touch is that great for what we need, and we need a player that has that. I know Sturridge can be a bit selfish but I find his hold up play pretty decent most of the time. Again, I've mentioned before a few times, we don't really use traditional hold up play much, it's generally quick counter attack, and if the options aren't there then hold it up and pass it to the supporting players. Lambert should give us the more traditional hold up play as an option.

His hold up play is very good, especially when he drifts deep and wide. Him joining Liverpool was a real eye opener for me because many aspects of his game that I thought were average to poor turned out to be good to very good.

If anything how Sturridge has slotted in at Liverpool makes some of his performances at Chelsea even more puzzling. I remember seeing him having the likes of Mata as part of the same attack as him, and managing to look very average even with that sort of quality around him.

Yet when he came to Liverpool and had players like Suarez, Coutinho, and Sterling hitting form around him, he seemed to be able to mesh very well with players with a lot of technical ability. I know he played on the right side of the attack quite a bit at Chelsea, but when he drifts right for Liverpool he still looks a quality player.

His work rate at Liverpool has surprised me as well because I was not expecting him to be a player who works as hard as he does off the ball.

Makes me wonder if Rodgers is looking for another Sturridge style player as the number two striker or if he will be looking for the anywhere across the front style forward.

Well why didn't we get Sanchez then? I mean we can afford anybody and everything. ;)

Probably because its £80 Million and 200k a week or something.

Stupid unrealistic expectations aside, we have to build a squad and resources aren't infinite, we've a redevelopment of Anfield started so can't just go out and splash £200 Million either. I would say I'm disappointed we didn't go for players like we did with Willian and Mk last season, probably unrealistic then but I'd have though attainable this Summer.

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Dare to Zlatan?

I usually hate him, but I would love that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Sanchez? Location?

Here's a player who is happy to go to a team that has won 1 FA Cup in 9 years, made 1 CL final appearance, 2 league cup final appearances losing both, has not made the top 2 in the league since they won it 10 years ago.

Compared to Liverpool over the same time period made it to two CL finals winning one, have finished 2nd in the league twice, made two league cup final appearances winning one of them, won 1 FA Cup and made another FA Cup appearance.

It's not as simple as offering a s**t load of money to a club. Of course any club will accept the money but if the player doesn't want to come he won't.

I would say I'm disappointed we didn't go for players like we did with Willian and Mk last season, probably unrealistic then but I'd have though attainable this Summer.

But we did - Lallana, Markovic, even Origi. Any probably one more to come.

Kingdom wrote: »
    Personally I don't believe that Moreno will be bought for £6m less than what Sevilla wanted. €6m possibly.
    I don't really understand what you're saying re Bony's release clause and what Liverpool will eventually pay for him. Sorry on that one.

What I deem unacceptable, is with the final throws of pre-season upon us, the club are still ueber-reliant on Daniel Sturridge to score goals. It's that simple. Last season, in my view, Liverpool were incredibly fortunate with injuries and suspensions (obviously Suarez and Enrique excepted). at the moment, they're one hamstring tweak away for being severely hamstrung for the opening portion of the season.
    Sure the club could walk out tomorrow and unveil Huntelaar, Bony, Cerci or whoever. That still leaves 4-8 weeks of a player having to settle in to a new area, new language, schools for kids, source house etc. All the external factors that affect people mentally (or holistically if you prefer), even footballers.
    To add to my quoted post, this is a season whereby the futures of a few clubs could be cemented for the short to mid future. Forget City and Chelsea. Look at Arsenal, Spurs, United, and possibly Everton. United were/are on the ropes, but there is a huge positivity there at present. You would have to expect that they're going to be a force again this season, and are going to have aspirations (however misguided) of the title, nevermind just the CL. Arsenal's squad are quite strong, and they would have to be considered favourites for one of the two remaining CL spaces. Spurs are behind, but not to the degree whereby Liverpool can afford to drop off the pace incredibly. It really is between United and Liverpool for that final spot I feel. United could probably, just about, afford another season out of the CL. Could Liverpool? I don't believe they can. Sterling if he continues his trajectory, is going to be a star. Coutinho is on the way. There is absolutely nothing to say that bids won't be coming in for their likes if Liverpool don't make the CL next season, and all the money in the world won't be able to replace them without the CL.

Sure all of that can be classed as panic, hyperbole and opinion, but sure most of whats posted around here is the same. I just don't feel the urgency is there, at a time when urgency, and the best possible preparations are going to be vital this season.

My point on Bony is that Gary Monk said it would take a huge offer for them to consider selling him, then his charman said they would consider all offers from CL clubs and now apparently they have dropped his release clause and are simply willing to sell him.
    As for the Moreno deal you can believe what you want to be honest but Tony Barrett, the most respected LIverpool journalist, said originally his price was £20m and Sevilla wouldnt budge. Now its £14m with addons according to the same person.

Finally if you were a united fan would you be happy going into a new season with Evans, Jones, Smalling as your back 3 with ZERO strength in depth? If Herrera gets injured they get to replace him with Cleverly, they have Fabio at left wing back should shaw get injured etc. This is the team you are scared of? We sign a decent striker which we will and which Rodgers has said repeatedly is his priority, then I would be confident of us getting fourth if not third this season.

We had a small squad that should have won the league last year, this was not Suarez by himself we have quality players and our main weakness are/have been addressed (defensive most noteably).
    Finally Liverpool had 6 of the top 25 scorers in the premiership in their squad, we are not Spurs who couldnt buy a goal last season.

Dickerty wrote: »

Lallana to an extent, the other two are very inexperienced, Can as well. It could work like Coutinho did or we've another Alberto on our hands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are numerous reasons for players at the level of Suarez not wanting to come.

Ones that come to mind straight away

-Not been consistent challengers/qualifiers for CL in last 5 years (a 1 season, possible 1 off isn't enough)
    -Location (we can't compete with London based clubs, or PSG or even the big guns in Spain)
    -Wages (we don't offer 200k off the bat , you want to be in that echelon of player at Anfield...you earn it)

Yes we have the transfer funds... we've used them to strengthen the squad and there is money still there, we've gotten all our targets so far apart from Sanchez. Problem now is we don't know who the target is.

Yes there's a gaping hole where Suarez once was , but , as I previously posted I believe Rodgers sees Sterling as the eventual replacement in there.

There are still 3 weeks to go in the window...I'll start panicking if, on the final day we still need a forward and will be apoplectic if Ayre ends up closing up the office at 8pm.

Not worried ...yet

I think the point I've bolded is a big sticking point.

Another thing I would add, I would think that players are taking notice of how we play, how exciting it is. They are probably a bit reluctant on signing for us to see if we are still going to play in that manner in the coming season and to see if that works well in the Champions League.
    If it all clicks this year with the new signings, and with the obvious hole left by Suarez, we will be in a much better postion in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We tried to sign Alexis Sanchez, confirmed by the manager. He is probably the best possible replacement we could have got for Suarez. He turned us down.

That's not us not trying.

Do you actually want us to pay £80M for Falcao? That is your answer?

Wow.

Do you want to win? I do.

Those players are not the players you purchase if winning things is a priority imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Dare to Zlatan?

Zlatan has won the league in 11 of his last 13 seasons, if you disregard the Juve match fixing scandal which accounted for two of them.

#OurZlatanOurYear

Jesús wept, are you actually serious ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Lallana to an extent, the other two are very inexperienced, Can as well. It could work like Coutinho did or we've another Alberto on our hands.

can has shown more than Alberto in preseason, enough that I'd consider him to start on the opening day.

Markovic from the short time I've seen him looks like he will be a quality addition.

Lallana is the one I'm worried about...he's a fine player, excellent in fact, I'd just be worried about the transition to a "big" club...we know that plenty have had issues with that in the past. My biggest hope is that if anyone is to fall to that it's Lambert and not Lallana.

Not a hope in hell we could even match the wages Falcao is currently on for very obvious reasons.

The Falcao talk is not new as the French media have been running that he is available on loan (£10m/€13m being the most commonly quoted figure for the loan period not including his massive and currently tax free wages)

Plus given that it looks like his age is about to be contested again, he would be a massively expensive and potentially very short term fix.

Only club that is going to get Falcao this summer, regardless of whether it is on loan for as a purchase, will be one that is a hell of a lot richer than Liverpool FC.

Errrrrr............lol, nah!

Jesús wept, are you actually serious ?

Falcao is absolutely worth £80m and 200k a week. That would be a direct replacement for Suarez (and Suarez was on that amount of wages). Why have you all convinced yourselves that this club isn't deserving of the best? That it doesn't deserve to win trophies.

Are you suggesting that one of the most talented strikers in the world wouldn't be worth that much money?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I don't agree with everything Kingdom is saying, and im not sure i would put it in as strong wirds as he is, but in terms of the general sentiment i am feeling it somewhat too.

We are very very reliant on Sturridge at the moment. I'd almost consider keeping Borini if we are not going to sign someone else even though he probably isn't quite good enough. I can't understand how a CL team can't afford Bony's wages. How much can he possibly be asking for? I wonder is this why Remy fell through?

Overall i have been a bit disappointed with the window. It looks like we won't sign a single player that we couldn't have signed without CL football or without the mountains of cash we find ourselves with.

It's impossible to point fingers as we don't know all the ins and outs - maybe Remy really did fail a medical, maybe Bony's demands were ridiculous, maybe the likes of Griezmann weren't interested etc... we do know that we were interested in Sanchez so we can commend the clubs ambition on that one at least.

But it looks like the thing that will excite me most going into the new season will be watching the progression of exsisting players - Coutinho and Sterling who I'm hoping (and expecting) to show they are amongst the best in the league.

Without pointing fingers at anyone too much, i feel like this will probably end up being a disappointing window, in a window which i had high expectations for and i felt was absolutely vital for the club moving forward.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Transfers are so simple in FIFA and Pro Evo why can't real life be like that?

can has shown more than Alberto in preseason, enough that I'd consider him to start on the opening day.

Markovic from the short time I've seen him looks like he will be a quality addition.

Lallana is the one I'm worried about...he's a fine player, excellent in fact, I'd just be worried about the transition to a "big" club...we know that plenty have had issues with that in the past. My biggest hope is that if anyone is to fall to that it's Lambert and not Lallana.

Oddly enough Lallana is the one I am expecting to be a quality addition, whilst Markovic is the one that I have some concerns over.

Falcao is absolutely worth £80m and 200k a week. That would be a direct replacement for Suarez (and Suarez was on that amount of wages). Why have you all convinced yourselves that this club isn't deserving of the best? That it doesn't deserve to win trophies.

Are you suggesting that one of the most talented strikers in the world wouldn't be worth that much money?

Falcao isn't worth £80m, and he certainly isn't the best. Great player, yes, but give me Benzema or Zlatan over him any day, and they're cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

To be fair Lloyd, Falcao is half the player Suarez is. 80m and 200k a week (e.g. Suarez money)? I don't think so

Yes (that wasn't a go at the qualities of the players), but you were comparing them to Mk and Willian type signings, experienced international and CL players.

Markovic, Can and Origi seem good signings but remember if you get 50% of your signings classed as decent to excellent you are doing all right. I haven't seen much of them and we really have to wait until a few months in before getting a proper idea of how good they are. Even then, given their age, it might take a season or two to get the best from them. Allen and Henderson good comparisons for that.

Right where to even start with this
    First off he is on 200k a week NET because its a tax haven. Thats 400k a week euro.
    Second he just spent 6 months with a very serious knee injury and who knows what kind of player he will be after that. A certain Fernando Torres had a similiar experience after a knee injury.
    Third Monaco have more money that City at this stage thanks to the outrageous money they got for James etc
    Fourth FSG have repeatedly stated their transfer policy is younger players who the club will develop and turn them into superstars. Liverpool dont and have never bought superstars.

And you are asking me do I think we deserve the best, of course, all fans think that of their club. Do we need to spend 2 years of our transfer budget on a 27 year old on astronomincal wages who has just returned from a major injury? Think the answer to that should be pretty obvious. :eek:

Also he gave endless interviews last season saying Suarez should leave LIverpool so he obviously doesnt view us as a big club in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Falcao suffered a Torn Ligament in his Knee, and you want to Buy him for £80m and give him 200k a Week?

What if he was not the same Player as he was once, what then?

I'm sorry, but no. Thank God, you don't run LFC, LL.

Yes he is. But he is taking home close to 200k a week now in Monaco. How exactly do you propose that Liverpool match that in England, a country in which he would have to pay income tax?

Ideal situation for me is, loan a decent striker until January with an option to buy, see how he does. Keep an eye on Bemteke when he returns from injury. He may not be the same player ever again after what happened to him, but if can still cut it, go all out for him in January. He's already played two blinders at Anfield, and he could be a world class striker in the future.

Mkitaryan was not much more proven at the time than Markovic, 4 years in Ukraine whereas Lazar had a year at Benfica and 2 at Partizan. I think they are similar, but this time we got to the player before his stock rose and the vultures circled...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement