Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Falcao is absolutely worth £80m and 200k a week. That would be a direct replacement for Suarez (and Suarez was on that amount of wages). Why have you all convinced yourselves that this club isn't deserving of the best? That it doesn't deserve to win trophies.

Are you suggesting that one of the most talented strikers in the world wouldn't be worth that much money?

LL you're a great poster even if I don't agree with some of the things you say...but that's mad.

Falcao is not in the 80m class not after the injury he's just had. That'd be a punt of enormous proportions which would have a huge possibility of backfiring.

I understand the sentiment...we should be after the best, problem is the very best are going where the oil money is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Morzadec wrote: »
    To be fair Lloyd, Falcao is half the player Suarez is. 80m and 200k a week (e.g. Suarez money)? I don't think so

Would not go that far. Falcao is probably the best striker in the game today. There are better players than him, Suarez being one of them, but as a striker I don't think there is anyone better than him right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

martyos121 wrote: »
    Falcao isn't worth £80m, and he certainly isn't the best. Great player, yes, but give me Benzema or Zlatan over him any day, and they're cheaper too.
    To be fair Lloyd, Falcao is half the player Suarez is. 80m and 200k a week (e.g. Suarez money)? I don't think so

Half the player Suarez is, maybe. A lessor player than Benzema or Zlatan? No way. You can build a challenge for anything you like around a Falcao. His last season at Athletico demonstrated his immense capabilities.
    Falcao suffered a Torn Ligament in his Knee, and you want to Buy him for £80m and give him 200k a Week?

What if he was not the same Player as he was once, what then?

I'm sorry, but no. Thank God, you don't run LFC, LL.

He could be fully recovered. The potential upside would be huge. A player like that could sustain another shot at the league, or fire you deep into the CL.

And money is not an issue if the player is the right player and he's willing to come. The Suarez fee; his wages off the books; the increased TV deal; the new CL cash = ability to fund a deal like this. It isn't 2012 anymore. People have to stop pretending that we couldn't be involved in a mega deal if we wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would not go that far. Falcao is probably the best striker in the game today. There are better players than him, Suarez being one of them, but as a striker I don't think there is anyone better than him right now.

Ahhhh? Suarez?

Falcao is a 35m player, he is not in the bracket of Zlatan, Lewandowski, Suarez etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't agree with everything Kingdom is saying, and im not sure i would put it in as strong wirds as he is, but in terms of the general sentiment i am feeling it somewhat too.

We are very very reliant on Sturridge at the moment. I'd almost consider keeping Borini if we are not going to sign someone else even though he probably isn't quite good enough. I can't understand how a CL team can't afford Bony's wages. How much can he possibly be asking for? I wonder is this why Remy fell through?

Overall i have been a bit disappointed with the window. It looks like we won't sign a single player that we couldn't have signed without CL football or without the mountains of cash we find ourselves with.

It's impossible to point fingers as we don't know all the ins and outs - maybe Remy really did fail a medical, maybe Bony's demands were ridiculous, maybe the likes of Griezmann weren't interested etc... we do know that we were interested in Sanchez so we can commend the clubs ambition on that one at least.

But it looks like the thing that will excite me most going into the new season will be watching the progression of exsisting players - Coutinho and Sterling who I'm hoping (and expecting) to show they are amongst the best in the league.

Without pointing fingers at anyone too much, i feel like this will probably end up being a disappointing window, in a window which i had high expectations for and i felt was absolutely vital for the club moving forward.

That would be me as well, a bit underwhelming so far.

I've no problem with the areas they are targeting, makes perfect sense to me, but we seem to be going for long term young players and then Lallana, Lovren and Lambert.

I wanted a striker, attacking additions, a CM, 2 FB's, a CB and a reserve keeper. It's looking like we will get all those assuming Reina will be replaced, so no problems there. Just disappointing that we haven't bough a player a level or 2 higher. I can see the logic but it could take a season or 2 for it to bear fruition, and we're left playing exciting football with a young squad with loads of potential, but missing out on CL next season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I would want to see how Falcao recovers from that injury before I'd class him as the best striker in the game today. 6 months ago definitely...

As for Lallana and Markovic..my only concern with Lallana is will he buckle under the fee? It's his first real move, he's grown naturally in an environment that he was used to in a side/system which he was an integral part - he doesn't have those safety nets anymore

Markovic has moved, been a success and pushed on and is still young enough to have 1 poor season and get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is benzema gettable? Surely surplus with the arrival of James?

Ahhhh? Suarez?

Falcao is a 35m player, he is not in the bracket of Zlatan, Lewandowski, Suarez etc

Falcao a 35m player? Not a chance. If he comes back dstrong from his injury, he will go back to being a top tier player.

He is probably the most natural number 9 that I have seen since Fowler first burst onto the football scene, but unlike Fowler Falcoa is as good with his "bad" foot as he is with his good foiot, and unlike Fowler he seems to have avoided a lot of the less healthy options that often tempt a footballer when young.

But not a chance that a fully fit and sharp Falcao is a 35m player. He is far too good to go for that price.

The only thing that I could see reducing his value (assuming he comes back 100% from the injury) is if the age issue gets confirmed and it is not in his favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Looking at Bony vs Lambert last season:

Bony 14 league goals 4 penalties. ( 2 games where Bony scored 2 goals)

Lambert 12 league goals 3 penalties. (Lambert didn't score more than 1 goal in any game)

I don't see a whole lot of difference really.

If Remy fell through then it should be another striker similar to Remy that we should be going after.

Can anybody provide chance conversion stats on Bony? I imagine they're better than Lambert's but that's just my assumption

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Is benzema gettable? Surely surplus with the arrival of James?

Don't think he would come unless he was going to be a starter every week, but would love the club to at least find out if that was the case or not.

The guy has a hell of a lot of ability and can play in the wide forward roles as well as any of the striker roles (be it as a lone striker or part of a pairing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He could be fully recovered. The potential upside would be huge. A player like that could sustain another shot at the league, or fire you deep into the CL.

If he's Fully Recovered, even then I have Doubts that he'd help us Win the League or CL.

But if he's not, then you're left with a massive Black Hole in your Financials. Since, Falcao at that Age and with that Salary, will be Unsaleable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

To draw a dietary analogy - the main part of a squad should be made up of long grains and slow release carbs not soft drinks and sweets. It seems a few here want the pyramid inverted to get that sugar rush of a "marquee" signing.

Falcao a 35m player? Not a chance. If he comes back dstrong from his injury, he will go back to being a top tier player.

He is probably the most natural number 9 that I have seen since Fowler first burst onto the football scene, but unlike Fowler Falcoa is as good with his "bad" foot as he is with his good foiot, and unlike Fowler he seems to have avoided a lot of the less healthy options that often tempt a footballer when young.

But not a chance that a fully fit and sharp Falcao is a 35m player. He is far too good to go for that price.

The only thing that I could see reducing his value (assuming he comes back 100% from the injury) is if the age issue gets confirmed and it is not in his favour.

I would argue that at 28 given his injury record and the wages he would demand that the days of him in the stratosphere of transfer fees is gone.
    He is not going to get any better. A year playing in a mickey mouse league wont have helped his development and the giant elephant in the room of his knee would mean he is not going to be in the superstar bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I really don't see us signing a 'top tier' forward, in the mold of Cavani, Benzema, etc. Not since Sanchez deal went under.

Someone like Lacazette, who looks to be on the cusp of becoming great, is probably much more in our target range.

However, when you look at the youth in our squad, and you see the likes of Origi to come back next year, I'd be all for that Falcao loan. I said it myself when it was first mentioned in here a few weeks back.

Seems far fetched that he'd join, but I'd not be against the finance involved to get him here for the year.

No way would I want us to, or believe that we can, sign him, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

To draw a dietary analogy - the main part of a squad should be made up of long grains and slow release carbs not soft drinks and sweets. It seems a few here want the pyramid inverted to get that sugar rush of a "marquee" signing.

If fans got everything they wanted the club would be a diabetic

• Advertisement

Would agree that trying to get the right player is the most important thing regardless of price or player status, but getting a player of proven quality does, in theory at least, increase the chances of getting the "right" player.

It is what I like about the transfer window so far, we look to have gotten the right sort of players more often than not this summer, and for me having a stronger squad (along with some first team improvements, of which there are hoefully one or two more to come) going into the new season is the smarter move over buying one or two mega names for mega bucks.

Would I like to see a Reus, Benzema, or Falcao arrive? Of course I would, but not at the expense of the kind of strengthening that could see the club maintain CL status for more than a season or two at a time.

Knex. wrote: »
    I really don't see us signing a 'top tier' forward, in the mold of Cavani, Benzema, etc. Not since Sanchez deal went under.

Someone like Lacazette, who looks to be on the cusp of becoming great, is probably much more in our target range.

However, when you look at the youth in our squad, and you see the likes of Origi to come back next year, I'd be all for that Falcao loan. I said it myself when it was first mentioned in here a few weeks back.

Seems far fetched that he'd join, but I'd not be against the finance involved to get him here for the year.

A year on loan with Falcao would cost us in the region of 30m (now if we only paid half his wages that'd drop to 20m...)

If he was fully fit and firing, then yes get him on loan for the season, get to the 2015/16 CL and that 20-30m is well worth it. But spending £80m now + his wages...not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Off-topic but that food pyramid is hugely disputed (yer slow-release carbs bit) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

A positive if such a loan move for Falcao was to take place would be to show a big name player coming in and if (a big if) we can repeat last years performances doing well in the league and the CL then I think next summers transfer window will see us as a very attractive option for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

martyos121 wrote: »
    Zlatan has won the league in 11 of his last 13 seasons, if you disregard the Juve match fixing scandal which accounted for two of them.

#OurZlatanOurYear

Looks like he's gonna get the No.7 shirt instead of Reus

• Advertisement

Looking at the figures being banded about for the past few weeks with regards to a loan deal.

For an english club to get him, it would cost close to £30m (£10 being the reported loan fee, and the rest would be to match his current wages once tax is taken into account) for the 10 month loan. That kind of money would be way too much for a loan deal imho.

Would prefer to take that money, maybe add to it, and put it towards the transfer fee and wages of a good player that we get to use for the next four to five years.

I think Falcao is a genuine world class player, but he is top tier in terms of cost as well, and that makes him the kind of player the mega wealthy clubs can get (unless he was prepared to take a substantial pay cut)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All this talk of replacing Saurez, there is only 2 players who could replace him and Liverpool would not have a chance at getting them as one plays for Barca and the other Real

Looking at the figures being banded about for the past few weeks with regards to a loan deal.

For an english club to get him, it would cost close to £30m (£10 being the reported loan fee, and the rest would be to match his current wages once tax is taken into account) for the 10 month loan. That kind of money would be way too much for a loan deal imho.

Would prefer to take that money, maybe add to it, and put it towards the transfer fee and wages of a good player that we get to use for the next four to five years.

I think Falcao is a genuine world class player, but he is top tier in terms of cost as well, and that makes him the kind of player the mega wealthy clubs can get (unless he was prepared to take a substantial pay cut)

I don't think 30m for a fit Falcao for a year, is too much, tbh. Simply because you'd get it back in League Position and CL money.

IMO, he'd guarantee Top 4.

We have plenty of young players at the moment, especially in attacking positions, and Origi to be added next summer as well. What we don't have is experience.

If it was possible, I'd be all for that year loan. We can see then next summer who is available, as right now, nothing awfully promising seems to be on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Echo saying it's unlikely Liverpool will move for Bony due to his wage demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I don't agree with everything Kingdom is saying, and im not sure i would put it in as strong wirds as he is, but in terms of the general sentiment i am feeling it somewhat too.

We are very very reliant on Sturridge at the moment. I'd almost consider keeping Borini if we are not going to sign someone else even though he probably isn't quite good enough. I can't understand how a CL team can't afford Bony's wages. How much can he possibly be asking for? I wonder is this why Remy fell through?

Overall i have been a bit disappointed with the window. It looks like we won't sign a single player that we couldn't have signed without CL football or without the mountains of cash we find ourselves with.

It's impossible to point fingers as we don't know all the ins and outs - maybe Remy really did fail a medical, maybe Bony's demands were ridiculous, maybe the likes of Griezmann weren't interested etc... we do know that we were interested in Sanchez so we can commend the clubs ambition on that one at least.

But it looks like the thing that will excite me most going into the new season will be watching the progression of exsisting players - Coutinho and Sterling who I'm hoping (and expecting) to show they are amongst the best in the league.

Without pointing fingers at anyone too much, i feel like this will probably end up being a disappointing window, in a window which i had high expectations for and i felt was absolutely vital for the club moving forward.

Sums it up so far me too. Moreno will be a much needed addition if it happens. Dont know too much about Manquilo but its an area we need cover anyway.

We seriously need another striker/wing forward. I am completely underwhelmed with supposed targets like Bony etc. I think we should be aiming higher. As pointed out in the post above Bony would be a player we could have gotten anyway. We need something special.

I don't think 30m for a fit Falcao for a year, is too much, tbh. Simply because you'd get it back in League Position and CL money.

IMO, he'd guarantee Top 4.

We have plenty of young players at the moment, especially in attacking positions, and Origi to be added next summer as well. What we don't have is experience.

If it was possible, I'd be all for that year loan.

Over a 5 year term that's Suarez Barca money! Even with a player like Falcao nothing is guaranteed.

I can see what you are saying but it really isn't going to happen, so I just don't see the point in wasting time thinking about it too much!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Echo saying it's unlikely Liverpool will move for Bony due to his wage demands.

Makes me wonder what we are offering, 60k or something like that. I think I read on here Remy was taking a cut to join us. Wonder what we offered Sanchez? 10p Meanies or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

K-9 wrote: »
    Makes me wonder what we are offering, 60k or something like that. I think I read on here Remy was taking a cut to join us. Wonder what we offered Sanchez? 10p Meanies or something.

I know some don't want Bony but I hope we're not looking to get another striker in on the cheap. If you want quality you have to pay for it unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

BuWpTi6IEAE7USB.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Advertisement

Loan?

Hadn't realised it wasn't going to be a permanent signing at all.

Loan?

Hadn't realised it wasn't going to be a permanent signing at all.

Option to buy after I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bye bye Johnson! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Falcao :)
    Liverpool fans who even mention signing Falcao need their heads examined. In my lifetime I can recall Liverpool signing 1 player from the top bracket and that was Torres and even then people had doubts about him.

8-10 wrote: »
    Option to buy after I think.

2 year loan with an option to buy
    Probably did it that way so when we buy Reus, Vidal and Falcao we dont get in trouble with fairplay accounting limits :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I personally think the best option to replace Suarez is what's happening right now and that's moving Sterling into that position. I think he has looked brilliant in that role when he has played there. His finishing will have to improve but he has everything else that is needed to be a great forward.

I don't think there is a player in world football that can replace Suarez but Sterling will give it a better go than anybody else that is realistically available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

All this talk of replacing Saurez, there is only 2 players who could replace him and Liverpool would not have a chance at getting them as one plays for Barca and the other Real

No one is expecting us to replace Suarez with a player as good as him.

But we should be replacing him with a player/players as close as possible.
    We can't get Messi/Ronaldo, but we should be able to get a couple of undeniably top class players who will ease the burden and mean our starting 11 is not diminished too badly, or even at all. Players the same ilk as Suarez when he joined us.

But we're not near doing that.

Pretty much anyone being honest will admit that our starting 11 is now worse than it was last year. That's an shocking indictment.

It breaks my heart to say it because as the season ended I was so confident that we would really plough forward this summer, but as things stand at the minute we have no chance of getting top 4 imo :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The oblig lean shot 10547435_10152737995667573_1460358033664791123_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I can honestly say I have 100% faith in the manager to get things right . BR isn't trying to build a team with lots of flashy players . I think the idea he has is to build a team that functions and plays for each other .
    People say the run Liverpool went on last season was down to luck but I'm not having any of that from January of last year when his ideas and thoughts clicked in the squad you could see a team that played for each other .
    So I will let BR make his choices and then see where it leaves LFC . I think we should all put a little bit of faith in the man . I for one would love to read his 180 page dossier that he gave John W. Henry because I would say there is alot of fascinating and interesting views in it . Some things that most of us wouldn't have even thought about .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Howard Webb has just retired from refereeing! This is the best news EVAAAARRR!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Howard Webb has hanged up his referee whistle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is that another 3 points for us or everyone though!?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

LFC signing a new player for Glen Johnson's position

BrokenImportantDormouse.gif

Howard Webb has hanged up his referee whistle

But is keeping the boots on, and turning pro.

Falcao :)
    Liverpool fans who even mention signing Falcao need their heads examined. In my lifetime I can recall Liverpool signing 1 player from the top bracket and that was Torres and even then people had doubts about him.

Suarez?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rodgers has said categorically that we're looking for a forward, but the haggling does bother me.

this is not difficult. identify your target, a target who is going to go straight into the first team, improving us, and pay the money needed. simple. get it done.

at this moment in time, we are destined to burn Sterling out IMO. i've fairly sure Rodgers sees him as the heir apparent to Suarez's role. i fear that over this season he will become utterly essential to the cause; something i don't believe he is quite ready for.

Suarez?

Suarez was a long way from a superstar when liverpool bought him
    He was a long way from a superstar under Daglish, BR system made him a superstar

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd like to know what they are smoking at LuckyLloyd's place right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I know I shouldnt but im going to say it anyway, Bild saying Reus buyout clause is currently €25m
    There was a story last month that his release fee is currently €56M but it will drop to €25M in January 2015 which is why Dortmund are keen for him to sign a new contract and no club is making an offer for the player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Suarez?

He was potential at the time, nowhere near the player he was when he left.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement