Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My vote goes to J'Allen.

I'm all about E'Can. Who can? E'Can can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

daithijjj wrote: »
    15m yoyo's for Agger from Barca is the latest.
    £15m for Agger is great money to be honest, I'd say that's why Liverpool were happy to pay £20m for Lovren.

Replacing Agger with a better defender and 5 years younger for a difference of £5m really is a good deal all round.
    £15 million and ~£90k p/w off the books worth more to us than back up player in our best stocked position. No room for sentimentality under FSG, as it should be in the modern game.

€/£

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Reus is an attacker not a midfielder

Im well aware of that and I also realise the pitfalls of playing 5 attacking midfielders and a striker but as this is dreamland stuff I refuse to be constrained by things such as sense, reality, budgets, tactics, formations etc!

Back to more sensible talk
    Selling Agger for even €15m or £12m, and replacing him with Lovern is quality business as mentioned earlier. We save £1.5m a year on wages (90k vs 60k) and he is 5 years younger. Plus he is also not a total liability like Agger unfortunately is these days. Wish the same would happen with Johnson, Cmon 'Arry make a stupid bid for him. Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Reus won't be coming to Liverpool. He'll be doing the dirt on Dortmund and joining Bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Reus oh my god he is like my favourite player in europe. Dream stuff him joining liverpool I would imagine there is a host of clubs lining up for him ahead of us.
    We have the money and rodgers said they will spend on the right player surely reus is that type of player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

flanzer wrote: »
    Reus won't be coming to Liverpool. He'll be doing the dirt on Dortmund and joining Bayern

tumblr_mu2d8oYF6n1s6fkm2o1_500.gif

Killjoy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're not actually being serious when we speak of Reus, Vidal, Pogba, et all, genuinely joining Liverpool, folks.

Which is a shame, as we could really do with some full backs of their quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

£12M for Agger seems more than fair given his position in the club, his age and mediocre form. Will be sad to see him leave, but he's had more than enough chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

If the bookies are anything to go by (which usually they are) D'Agger has been cut to 1/3 this morning from 2/1 to join Barca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Will be sad to see him leave but if we get 12 million then we should take it. He's a legend but he is half glass right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Will be sad to see him leave but if we get 12 million then we should take it. He's a legend but he is half glass right?

Why is he a legend, because he tatooed his knuckles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I'd expect Agger to go now. Seems to be the way things are shaping up. We've bought 3 expensive centre back recently (Lovren, Ilori and Sakho) and have been gradully getting rid of highly paid players (which I'd imagine Agger is one).

Clear out is well under way now - I'd expect Agger, Reina, Assiadi, Borini, Aspas, Luis Alberto all to be gone shortly with a few younger players out on loan again. Hopefully Moreno transfer is completed shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Agger a legend lol. Maybe for the medical staff. He has been a good servant & was a very good defender for alot of his 8 years. But I think all his injuries have caught up with him & he is now well past his peak. I don't think Barca will buy him though. It could well be a smokescreen.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Skrtel Sakho Lovren and Llori (in a season or two two) is a very strong stock of CB's at the club and something we have not had for a few seasons now.

Another DM, GK and that striker we are crying out for and it's been a very good window all considered, but without these it's been a bit meh even after all we have spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here's something to consider, Atletico have signed full back Cristian Ansaldi and they are looking to off load some bloke called Emiliano Insua (whatever happened to him?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Skrtel Sakho Lovren and Llori (in a season or two two) is a very strong stock of CB's at the club and something we have not had for a few seasons now.

Another DM, GK and that striker we are crying out for and it's been a very good window all considered, but without these it's been a bit meh even after all we have spent.

And a minimum of one full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Only one source is running the agger story so i wouldn't get excited too much but at the fee mentioned you would bite their hand off. We would still have lovren/skrtel/sakho/toure and possibly coates who is doing well enough at the moment. Id still like to upgrade full backs, get a striker in and a back up gk.
    On the lavezzi talk tis a no from me, anytime I've watched psg he has been underwhelming and by all accounts can barely hit a barn door. Anyways the metro links us with a new player every couple of days.

NEDDURC wrote: »
    I'd expect Agger to go now. Seems to be the way things are shaping up. We've bought 3 expensive centre back recently (Lovren, Ilori and Sakho) and have been gradully getting rid of highly paid players (which I'd imagine Agger is one).

Clear out is well under way now - I'd expect Agger, Reina, Assiadi, Borini, Aspas, Luis Alberto all to be gone shortly with a few younger players out on loan again. Hopefully Moreno transfer is completed shortly.

He's on just over £85k per week Lovren on £60k per week.

5 million of a difference 4 and a half years younger. Not bad business

Cjs21 wrote: »
    He's on just over £85k per week Lovren on £60k per week.

5 million of a difference 4 and a half years younger. Not bad business

There's the small matter of the £8m price difference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Here's something to consider, Atletico have signed full back Cristian Ansaldi and they are looking to off load some bloke called Emiliano Insua (whatever happened to him?)

He's not good enough, will be shipped out soon enough by atleti. Complete flop for them, shame really.

• Advertisement

Reus will be let go next season for €35 million according to german reports! Liverpool and United favourites to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Reus will be let go next season for €35 million according to german reports! Liverpool and United favourites to sign him.

LMAO at the suggestion that Reus would join Liverpool. At €35m every top club in Europe would be in for him although i expect that Real Madrid can't really fit him in as they are overstocked in his position.

United, Chelsea, City, Barca, Bayern and PSG would all be in the hunt for him. Absolutely no chance he would join Liverpool!

klose wrote: »
    He's not good enough, will be shipped out soon enough by atleti. Complete flop for them, shame really.

But, but almost EVERYONE was saying how beastly Liverpool were turfing him out and how he'd show us! I always thought he was overestimated I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Wonder would Barca consider swapping us Montoya as part of a deal for Agger!?

Sappy404 wrote: »
    There's the small matter of the £8m price difference though.

£15 million - £20 million is a £5 million difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

But E15m = £12m so an £8m difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

zarquon wrote: »
    LMAO at the suggestion that Reus would join Liverpool. At €35m every top club in Europe would be in for him although i expect that Real Madrid can't really fit him in as they are overstocked in his position.

United, Chelsea, City, Barca, Bayern and PSG would all be in the hunt for him. Absolutely no chance he would join Liverpool!

Pfft..

We've already got the testimonial sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Reported fee is €15m which is £12m.

rob316 wrote: »
    Reported fee is €15m which is £12m.

Ah, my bad :o

Havent seen this before
    Neville and Carragher talking about Lovern earlier this season on MNF

• Advertisement

Liverpool should buy Valbuena if Reus is not available.

But, but almost EVERYONE was saying how beastly Liverpool were turfing him out and how he'd show us! I always thought he was overestimated I have to say.

I think the problems most had with Insua being sold were that

a) he was 19
    b) he was sold for £500,000
    c) he was replaced with Paul flipping Konchesky.

Squad depth getting better. Still want a proper full back and another striker at least though

The arrival of Cristian Ansaldi to Atletico will the departure of two players in the current squad: Emiliano Insua and Javier Manquillo . Diego Pablo Simeone wanted to have a side that could function in both bands and that is the former player and Zenit . The idea that handles the club is that, when the team returns to Madrid, the outputs of the two sides to accelerate.

Clearer the squad because there is an agreement with Liverpool for assignment with option to purchase (and repurchase by the Atleti); although from the club mattress they speak of the 'red' choice as one among the clubs that have shown interest in the player ( Arsenal and Marseille were other options, but the French club has already given). What is clear is that the Atleti not want to sell, want to have controlled one of their most promising players.

For Insua not fit into the plans of Simeone . The player knows its environment and takes weeks and looking for a destination. From discussing Portugal Benfica , although Italy also like the Argentine side.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140729/atletico-madrid/la-llegada-de-ansaldi-acelera-las-salidas-de-insua-y-manquillo_54412562861.html#ixzz38qqZzBhH
    Síguenos en: https://twitter.com/@mundodeportivo | http://facebook.com/MundoDeportivo.com

Liverpool should buy Valbuena if Reus is not available.

I rate him, but he's 29 and wants to play centrally, where I think we have enough, right now.

Coutinho, Lallana, and Sterling, will all want to be in and around that CAM position. Markovic looks like he does too, actually.

If Valbuena could play both as a striker and out wide, as Reus and Remy can, then it would make more sense for me. I really do think that's what the club is looking for.

The mirror are doing this at the moment, Southampton have lost their 8 best players, what would happen if the same occured for other teams. Man U and ours probably the weakest teams here

On second look the arsenal team isnt exactly impressive to say the least. Just shows how far ahead City and Chelsea are in terms of out and out quality across their squads

Liverpool
    BttEeteIIAAgvlB.png

Chelsea
    BttFMFDIQAAuSGw.png

Arsenal
    BttF3ZiIcAEz3s_.png

Man City
    BttDxg6IcAAYX5c.png

Man Utd
    BttGdyxIIAA78m1.png

We've finally gotten some strength in depth!

Always regarded United as having the best squad in the league, in years gone by, but looking at the above, I'd argue that's possibly the weakest of the 5 teams. The formation and selection doesn't help them, though.

Chelsea and City, in particular, are impressive. Arsenal's team is still fairly solid as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Havent seen this before
    Neville and Carragher talking about Lovern earlier this season on MNF

Brilliant piece on him. Personally I don't have the footballing knowledge to assess a player in that manner. Highlights the level of scrutiny that goes into a players performance for their club. Also when another club is assessing a player as a possible transfer target.

His mazy run towards the end was quality
    Reminded me of myself in my pomp :eek: :rolleyes::o

Sakho always attacks the ball, and while he wins a huge percentage, he is still liable to over-committing on occasion.

We were linked with Papadopulous, who was the same, and now we have Lovren, who is similar, while not as aggressive for it, in the same manner as Sakho and Papa.

Interesting though that these are the defenders we have signed and been linked too.

I think Lovren has an ideal balance, in terms of knowing when to attack, and when to drop off. He backs himself at the right occasion. I think Sakho is such a physical beast, he backs himself on every occasion, and sometimes this leads to him getting badly beaten, albeit I do thinks it rare.

At 24 and 25, I genuinely feel in a few years, the two of them could be one of the best partnerships around, if injuries etc go their way.

The ceiling for both is much higher than that for Skrtel and Agger, who are still fairly reliable CB's in the right system.

My only issue with playing both Lovren and Sakho, is possibly some growing pains if they both overcommitt, when you don't have one of them having that natural sweeper mentality. Something which saw Ferdinand compliment Vidic so well. Or Carvalho, Terry.

Still, I am very excited to see what they bring to the table over the next few years. Its a huge area of the team to be potentially set in.

Look even at what Dortmund were able to build once they instilled Subotic and Hummels, even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

For all the talk of us buying mid table players from Southampton, we have ended up with two really good players in Lallana and Lovren. Two players I believe could play for any of the top four teams.

Lambert was a bit of an unusual situation but as third choice striker he brings a lot.

I want.....

does he remind you of someone the way he turns/terrorises defenders and not afraid to run at them.

Doesn't really need to get the head up when in front of goal as he knows where the net is.

there is a rumour that the Remy deal wont hurt as much as we have a good chance of landing him.

Knex. wrote: »
    Sakho always attacks the ball, and while he wins a huge percentage, he is still liable to over-committing on occasion.

We were linked with Papadopulous, who was the same, and now we have Lovren, who is similar, while not as aggressive for it, in the same manner as Sakho and Papa.

Interesting though that these are the defenders we have signed and been linked too.

I think Lovren has an ideal balance, in terms of knowing when to attack, and when to drop off. He backs himself at the right occasion. I think Sakho is such a physical beast, he backs himself on every occasion, and sometimes this leads to him getting badly beaten, albeit I do thinks it rare.

At 24 and 25, I genuinely feel in a few years, the two of them could be one of the best partnerships around, if injuries etc go their way.

The ceiling for both is much higher than that for Skrtel and Agger, who are still fairly reliable CB's in the right system.

My only issue with playing both Lovren and Sakho, is possibly some growing pains if they both overcommitt, when you don't have one of them having that natural sweeper mentality. Something which saw Ferdinand compliment Vidic so well. Or Carvalho, Terry.

Still, I am very excited to see what they bring to the table over the next few years. Its a huge area of the team to be potentially set in.

Look even at what Dortmund were able to build once they instilled Subotic and Hummels, even.

Im more worried about when Sakho and Lovern push a high line to play offside and Johnson is staring into the crowd wondering how he is going to spend the 100k a week he is shamelessly taking home each week and plays everyone else onside.

Making more and more sense to play a back 3 of Skrtel Lovern Sakho and then have wing backs such as Can and Enrique or even Johnson who might revel in the fact that he only has to attack rather than worry about his actual job and keep a clean sheet.

Could have Liverpool and United both playing 343 next season which was unheard of in the premiership until very recently.

If he was to leave this window I reckon he'd join Liverpool ahead of Chelsea, United or PSG right now if they all offered the same wage. Man City would be more likely but Bayern will be his main option IMO. I don't know why he'd leave Germany if they were interested.

Of course, all the talk is of him leaving next year as has been said by all and sundry.

lothair-road.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Im more worried about when Sakho and Lovern push a high line to play offside and Johnson is staring into the crowd wondering how he is going to spend the 100k a week he is shamelessly taking home each week and plays everyone else onside.

Making more and more sense to play a back 3 of Skrtel Lovern Sakho and then have wing backs such as Can and Enrique or even Johnson who might revel in the fact that he only has to attack rather than worry about his actual job and keep a clean sheet.

Could have Liverpool and United both playing 343 next season which was unheard of in the premiership until very recently.

I can't be having any of that now!

It's down to the manager to either coach him better or drop him if he is not up to playing so he earns the money he is paid!

If the manager can't do that then he needs to ship him out.

To blame Johnson for the wages he is paid is not on at all.

If he was on £10k a week I would feel the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Haven't been here in a while but is Underpaid Mike any relation to Mike65?

djPSB wrote: »
    Haven't been here in a while but is Underpaid Mike any relation to Mike65?

NO :mad:

Whoops! :pac:

I can't be having any of that now!

It's down to the manager to either coach him better or drop him if he is not up to playing so he earns the money he is paid!

If the manager can't do that then he needs to ship him out.

To blame Johnson for the wages he is paid is not on at all.

If he was on £10k a week I would feel the same way.

We have a very thin squad so he has no competition for the place if fit
    His decline has been well documented and is a shocking indictment of his attitude in my world.

Haha no im no relation to old grumpy Mike65. I do remember his posts though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If he was to leave this window I reckon he'd join Liverpool ahead of Chelsea, United or PSG right now if they all offered the same wage. Man City would be more likely but Bayern will be his main option IMO. I don't know why he'd leave Germany if they were interested.

Of course, all the talk is of him leaving next year as has been said by all and sundry.

You reckon he'd pick Liverpool ahead of Chelsea, United or PSG :rolleyes:

There are many reasons why this would not happen and certainly there is no way that Liverpool would pay the wages that the others could offer. Even Arsenal offered more money to Sanchez. Not to mention chosing Liverpool over London or Paris as a place to live. Not a chance in hell he would pick liverpool. Some people need to take of their red tinted glasses and face reality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You reckon he'd pick Liverpool ahead of Chelsea, United or PSG :rolleyes:

There are many reasons why this would not happen and certainly there is no way that Liverpool would pay the wages that the others could offer. Even Arsenal offered more money to Sanchez. Not to mention chosing Liverpool over London or Paris as a place to live. Not a chance in hell he would pick liverpool. Some people need to take of their red tinted glasses and face reality!

I think you're the one wearing the red tinted glasses.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement