Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Off topic but anyone remember the guy in the pic, back row in between Houghton and Hooper.....I'd say he's the only Liverpool player ever to make more appearances in the team photo than on the pitch :pac:

Very famous brother on the blue half of Merseyside too

I have no idea why I was thinking of him a minute ago! :o

image060.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    No chance I hope. I actually don't like the four club set up despite it being the reason we were able to be in the CL to reach two finals.

Extra clubs getting in would only reek of a money making venture and further dilute the prestige of the competition imho.

I'm not sure on that. For me, the less places available, the more of a monopoly it becomes.

I'd be happy enough with 5, as ultimately it would make for a more open and balanced domestic league. More money, higher % chance of playing in the CL, more chance of signing the players you want, etc. And because of this, I think then the likes of us, Spurs and Everton, would become stronger again, and you'd see a different selection of teams getting in each year.

Ultimately, you'd be giving more opportunity to a team like Newcastle to catch a break and get that CL money, and progress from there as well, etc. I actually think the extra spot would make it more plausible for a team like them to win the league in the next 10 years, outside of stupid investment, than things do as they currently stand.

Having more teams in the CL would surely only make it more difficult to win as well, not less so, so I don't see the prestige being worn away much from where it is now, tbh.

Now, I could well be wrong, but that's just how I envisage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

76 you say? That is a weird coincidence, I just so happen to have 76 yellow cards with some poster's name shopped onto them :pac:

#KESSLOVESBROD

#Rodgersismydad

Ah now here, maybe long lost brothers.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dickerty wrote: »
    Yeh, I thought the same thing.

But you know that it IS a money making venture, yeh? :o

Oh it is all about money, but knowing that does not mean I have to like it.

There is far more chance of the five club system coming in than there is of me ever seeing anything resembling the old set up again, but the more that get in, the closer we would get to the creation of a "Premium" European league imo.

Bring it back to the old European Cup, only champions and knock out all the way!

Fúck the money!!! :pac:

And bring back the 'Fairs Cup' and Cup Winners Cup too!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K-9 wrote: »
    I do think, and this isn't specifically aimed at Al or Lloyd, it can be difficult to fully admit an opinion was wrong, and even when it is proven so (Rodgers totally exceling any reasonable expectations) the opinion is still lingering there in the back of the mind!

It a lot easier to admit when you are wrong, than constantly having to do mental gymnastics in your posts. I got it wrong with Aaron Ramsey and I said as much in the Arsenal thread.

Some we get right, some we get wrong. That's football. Some people were wrong about Rodgers. They should just admit it and enjoy the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I don't see how people can ignore three years of FSG transfer policy in order to allow themselves to believe they'll sanction a deal for Falcao. Lacazette is much more realistic.

Any group that sanctioned €30 mil for (an injured) Andy Carroll is capable of anything...

kfallon wrote: »
    Off topic but anyone remember the guy in the pic, back row in between Houghton and Hooper.....I'd say he's the only Liverpool player ever to make more appearances in the team photo than on the pitch :pac:

Very famous brother on the blue half of Merseyside too

I have no idea why I was thinking of him a minute ago! :o

image060.jpg

That's Alex Watson. Pic quality for his face is not great

That's Alex Watson is it not?

Sure is, gold star for you! I only remember him playing in a League Cup game years ago (against Arsenal at Highbury I think), Kenny played with 5 at the back so Watson played and wore the 'hallowed' no.7 shirt too, oh the indignity of it all :pac:

Apparently he made 8 more appearances for the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Looks like Huntelaar is off to Turkey according to the rags
    We were linked to him earlier in the summer, thank god above that never panned out
    He is slower than me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I see Moley is tweeting about us taking a Colombian striker on loan. Not necessarily Falcao?

Muriel? Jackson? Gutierrez? Ibarbo? Bacca?

Sure is, gold star for you! I only remember him playing in a League Cup game years ago (against Arsenal at Highbury I think), Kenny played with 5 at the back so Watson played and wore the 'hallowed' no.7 shirt too, oh the indignity of it all :pac:

Apparently he made 3 more appearances for the club!

He was a bit of a cult figure amongst supporters back in the day, along with the likes of Jimmy Carter.

They were what the likes of Sean Dundee etc would become years later.

He was a bit of a cult figure amongst supporters back in the day, along with the likes of Jimmy Carter.

They were what the likes of Sean Dundee etc would become years later.

Didn't Carter sign just before Speedie? Kenny's last 2 signings before he resigned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Oh it is all about money, but knowing that does not mean I have to like it.

There is far more chance of the five club system coming in than there is of me ever seeing anything resembling the old set up again, but the more that get in, the closer we would get to the creation of a "Premium" European league imo.

They will always consider - are the best team from across all leagues qualifying (the best of the rest usually make it through qualifying)? Are the teams that fans want to see being missed out?

Only in rare occasions (like our fall from grace, or Inter/Milan/United this year) will it happen. And in those cases, all three failed to get the one spot behind qualifying, so it's not even close.

We should all get a Joker to play, like in It's A Knockout!

Bring it back to the old European Cup, only champions and knock out all the way!

Fúck the money!!! :pac:

And bring back the 'Fairs Cup' and Cup Winners Cup too!!!!

Used to love that. Even in the modern era the CL really only starts to get exciting for me (save for any games that would involve Liverpool) when it gets to the knock out stage.

Reading that Kompany is about to sign a new 6 year deal at city for £60m
    How on earth can you expect to compete with that
    £10m a year in wages for a 28 year old centre half, the length and size of the contract just shows Citys financial power in comparison to Liverpool Arsenal etc.

Also this is for you Mr Alan and LuckyLloyd
    Clear statement of intent from Liverpool, source is Tony Barrett

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BucAZfzIQAA51Hk.png

EDIT - Sorry the article says we inquired about Falcao for a £22m loan+wage deal with a view to buying but player wants to go to Real Madrid so unless Real dont want him he wont join us.

Mod Edit: Well they will have to use the link to read it, because the forum's copyright rule about articles applies.

Didn't Carter sign just before Speedie? Kenny's last 2 signings before he resigned?

Carter was either the last or second last player Kenny signed. Then again with Alex Watson leaving, we needed a worthy replacement and we got it in Jimmy.:D

Carter was either the last or second last player Kenny signed. Then again with Alex Watson leaving, we needed a worthy replacement and we got it in Jimmy.:D

Carter, with his tanned skin, was more than an adequate replacement for Watson in the team photos :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Mod Edit: I just deleted the exact same article a few posts back.Come on guys the copyright stuff is not new.

Despite our best efforts, Minister Seán Sherlock still signed his fundamentally flawed SI on Copyright into law this week and the knock on effect is that we will be reviewing and probably implementing changes to how we have to deal with issues around the use of copyrighted material on the site. We don't have the details finalsed yet, I'm reviewing with legal experts and various others on how we carry on with the normal day-to-day business of the site without making too much of an impact, but we are making some immediate changes that we feel are definitely required:

1) we will no longer be allowing links to streams of copyrighted or licenced content such as sports events. Youtube videos are not affected as YouTube has revenue sharing arrangements in place with copyright holders and they monitor these things themselves.

2) copy and pasting a full piece of an article from a newspaper or blog etc will not be allowed. You may copy a paragraph of the piece and must provide a link to the source under what we hope will be seen as a common sense and fair use approach.

I really don't have any more solid guidance on this yet, so please bear with us over the course of the next week or so whilst we try and get the legal advice we need. I wish I had more solid information than this folks, I really do.

I just wanted to post this here and I'm closing it because it's Friday evening, I'm going to be gone for the weekend and I simply don't have any more information just yet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77390771&postcount=1

It is not hard to stick to, and I really don't want to have to enforce this with cards as it is easy enough to just post a link and one paragraph

Kess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

It's funny how things change. Years ago Alan was probably the most positive poster on here. If anyone had the audacity to bad mouth rafa all guns would be blazing.

Guess it's more of a cult of personality thing.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold out any hope for falcao on loan but if it did happen... Drool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

According to the Mirror, Liverpool have now dropped their interest in Falcao and are looking elsewhere.

That was quick.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/liverpool/article4169356.ece
    Liverpool have made an inquiry into the availability of Radamel Falcao but their tentative interest has gone no further after being informed that the Monaco forward is destined for Real Madrid.

Falcao is set to leave Monaco on loan this summer and Liverpool looked into the possibility of taking him to Anfield as a short term replacement for Luis Suarez only to discover that, as expected, the 28-year-old has his heart set on signing for Real.

Di maria to PSG has fallen through so they can't pay for him with that money, the merry-go-round has yet to start really. It'll all go a bit mad soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Peter Crouch is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Rodgers and the committee must be confident of getting another striker (or two), if Borini goes, there is no way they'd leave themselves short like that (again:pac:)

It's just a pity that the ones we are rumoured to be in for are turning out to be non-runners one by one and there are no new links to players it seems.

Peter Crouch is available.

West Ham won't pay Stoke 3m for him which I find remarkable, he'll get them 12 goals in a season if he is played.

Anyone want to do a pool on how many times in total that Falcao story is posted here ? Im going to go with 7 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

"Well we tried to sign [insert world class footballer] but he wouldn't come"

Carter, with his tanned skin, was more than an adequate replacement for Watson in the team photos :p

He really was one of those WTF? type signings. And it is not as though an 800k signing was a tiny signing back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Would Higuain be attainable? Still only 26 and a fantastic goal scorer. £30m he was sold for to Napoli only last season so its probably not realistic.

• Advertisement

Rodgers and the committee must be confident of getting another striker (or two), if Borini goes, there is no way they'd leave themselves short like that (again:pac:)

It's just a pity that the ones we are rumoured to be in for are turning out to be non-runners one by one and there are no new links to players it seems.

Except the links to Falcao, Icardi, Volland and Brandt this week, you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

We should go for jackson martinez

He really was one of those WTF? type signings. And it is not as though an 800k signing was a tiny signing back then.

As was Speedie but he earned his place in our hearts with goals against Utd and Everton....in the space of 6 days!

As was Speedie but he earned his place in our hearts with goals against Utd and Everton....in the space of 6 days!

and there was a game against Leeds in which he was amazing.

Real Madrid goal threats as of now

Rodríguez
    Di Maria
    Bale
    Isco
    Rodríguez
    Benzema
    Ronaldo

plus Falcao

Someone must be moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Falcao won't end up at Madrid, they will need to shed some players before this can happen.

Benzema has committed himself for 4 more years aswell, he'd have wanted assurances he would play surely?

Not saying we have a hope of landing Falcao, but I reckon the Madrid move won't happen.

He will be a Monaco player this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodríguez
    Di Maria
    Bale
    Isco
    Rodríguez
    Benzema
    Ronaldo

plus Falcao

Someone must be moving

Isco and DiMaria. Benzema signed a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Rodríguez
    Di Maria
    Bale
    Isco
    Rodríguez
    Benzema
    Ronaldo

plus Falcao

Someone must be moving

Apparently PSG were in for Di Maria but the deal fell through. Perhaps we should "show our interest"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have a feeling that Falcao Might ACTUALLY happen...

Jaysus, thats ambition lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

brevity wrote: »
    Apparently PSG were in for Di Maria but the deal fell through. Perhaps we should "show our interest"...
    No thanks. Di Maria doesn't solve the striker issue at all and he's massively inconsistent.

Vicxas wrote: »

A feeling?

I have a feeling the outlay is way beyond what are owners are willing to spend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Vicxas wrote: »

save yourself the disappointment....it most likely won't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A feeling?

I have a feeling the outlay is way beyond what are owners are willing to spend

And rightly so. 400k a week in wages before tax is insane.

The 10m loan fee ...no issue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Except the links to Falcao, Icardi, Volland and Brandt this week, you mean?

I was including Falcao in the non-runners. Volland I've only seen linked to us in a Football365.com opinion piece and haven't seen anything linking Icardi or Brandt.

I'm more talking about actual respected journalists talking about our chances of getting people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

According to the Mirror, Liverpool have now dropped their interest in Falcao and are looking elsewhere.

That was quick.:D

First I've heard of any interest in Falcao! ;)

I'd say it was a short enough phone call, shows what we are up against for big names like that, but at least the interest is there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Di maria to PSG has fallen through so they can't pay for him with that money, the merry-go-round has yet to start really. It'll all go a bit mad soon though.

Rodríguez
    Di Maria
    Bale
    Isco
    Rodríguez
    Benzema
    Ronaldo

plus Falcao

Someone must be moving
    rob316 wrote: »
    Isco and DiMaria. Benzema signed a new contract.
    brevity wrote: »

Real want 60m euro for him so that's not likely, he's not really worth that outlay, Isco is yet another attacking midfielder at least Di Maria could work the attacking winger position.. As I say though the transfer which creates a domino effect has yet to happen when it does it might influence LFCs choices and the price needed to land a target. A last minute offer for Di Maria at say 40m euro might work, if Real really still need the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sneaky 400m bid for Ronaldo, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Real want 60m euro for him so that's not likely, he's not really worth that outlay, Isco is yet another attacking midfielder at least Di Maria could work the attacking winger position.. As I say though the transfer which creates a domino effect has yet to happen when it does it might influence LFCs choices and the price needed to land a target. A last minute offer for Di Maria at say 40m euro might work, if Real really still need the sale.

If we are taking anyone from Real Madrid it needs to be Isco, potential to be one of the worlds best players with consistent game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

ricero wrote: »
    We should go for jackson martinez

This is a strange one. He is probably the best we can hope for and imo would do well in the premier league.

I thought he was class when he got gametime in the world cup, but the odd thing was he could barely get into the team.

Either he has a bad attitude or Porto are looking for crazy money.

I am actually happy that there was some substance to the Falcao talk. I genuinely believe some supporters in here have started to believe that we cannot compete for those Class A signings and will be happy with the prospect types.

I find it gas that 95% of this forum have never seen Markovich play or even heard of him, but now use him as an example of us showing ambition.

Ambition is getting a player that would command a starting 11 spot on day one. Aside from Lovren, we haven't made that signing.....and no Suarez.

I'd say a loan is more likely for a striker at this point. Personally I think it might still be Remy. Both James Pearce (Echo) and Ben Smith (BBC) reported that he had passed a medical before the deal fell through. I reckon Redknapp and his agent might be looking for a piece of the pie and we refused, to make them sweat for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If we are taking anyone from Real Madrid it needs to be Isco, potential to be one of the worlds best players with consistent game time.
    You'd either be selling Coutinho or Lallana to make room for him.

Anyway, he will not be scoring 20-25 goals a season. It's Suarez who needs replacing!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement