Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lets all have a disco Sturridge, Sterling, Isco, Lallana na Lallana na

Make it happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'd say a loan is more likely. Personally I think it might still be Remy. Both James Pearce (Echo) and Ben Smith (BBC) reported that he had passed a medical before the deal fell through. I reckon Redknapp and his agent might be looking for a piece of the pie and we refused to make them sweaty for a while.

There is not a hope in hell the club would have risked a deal by damaging the reputation of the player himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

joe123 wrote: »
    There is not a hope in hell the club would have risked a deal by damaging the reputation of the player himself.

The club never stated there was a medical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Tony Barrett from the Times on second captains latest podcast talking about liverpool

https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains-it-com/second-captains-football-0708-liverpool-spending-hearts-at-war-bonsai-celtic

Is it just me or are players just taking the absolute piss out of us now??

Now we are linked to Cavani !!!
    Agent Claudio Anelluci told El Telegrafo:

"I can confirm that Cavani had proposals from Liverpool and Arsenal." #AFC #LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Big question here is just how many top flight strikers are there left that

a, have already been signed
    b, are unrealistic targets or are already happy at their clubs

I don't see that many to be honest. There's no shortage of decent wingers for sure, but how many strikers are there available that you'd be confident of getting 20 goals a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Agent Claudio Anelluci told El Telegrafo:

"I can confirm that Cavani had proposals from Liverpool and Arsenal." #AFC #LFC

Will you marry me?

Knex. wrote: »
    Will you marry me?

Id marry all 6ft1 of him if he would join the pool! Beast of a player

And rightly so. 400k a week in wages before tax is insane.

The 10m loan fee ...no issue with that

Crazy money alright.

I'm not an accountant though and just want the club to qualify for the CL and challenge for trophies.

Imo unless a quality forward is brought in we'll be outsiders for both these tasks.

Bring quality in and we'll be right up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I am actually happy that there was some substance to the Falcao talk. I genuinely believe some supporters in here have started to believe that we cannot compete for those Class A signings and will be happy with the prospect types.

Would it not show you how unrealistic most of these types of targets are. I mean, look at the money talked about. Do even City or Chelsea pay that much?

We'd need to be very, very lucky to be the only club going for a high profile target like that, that happened with Suarez because nobody would take the risk, and he wasn't even at that level. We are hoping for the stars to align that for some reason we are the only club going for a player, or similar clubs to us and we can sell it to the player.

Jackson Martinez is probably the most achievable and that could be tough. Remember how much time we wasted last season going after Mk and Willian when there was always a good chance we'd get gazumped.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cavani is definetly a player with should target. Great finisher works hard & is quick. Would suit our system perfectly too.
    With PSG having spent alot of money they will probably need to sell for FFP purposes. I would think wages could be a stumbling block though.

K-9 wrote: »
    Jackson Martinez is probably the most achievable and that could be tough. Remember how much time we wasted last season going after Mk and Willian when there was always a good chance we'd get gazumped.

That was a nightmare and you can include Kono in that bracket too.
    Weeks of back paper "updates" thanks to those non signings
    To give credit to Ayre we have signed 8 players so far this summer and Moreno set to sign on the 13th so obviously has learned from previous mistakes

Would it not show you how unrealistic most of these types of targets are. I mean, look at the money talked about. Do even City or Chelsea pay that much?

We'd need to be very, very lucky to be the only club going for a high profile target like that, that happened with Suarez because nobody would take the risk, and he wasn't even at that level. We are hoping for the stars to align that for some reason we are the only club going for a player, or similar clubs to us and we can sell it to the player.

Don't forget Diego Costa.

Then you also have this lot.

Sanchez - gazumped.
    Falcao - shot down for Madrid.

Our record of attracting the top players is really awful. That is why I think we're best off continuing to look at players who no one else wants for whatever reason. Even though Brendan has ruled it out (or has he?), I'd love to see us go in for Balotelli. We know he's available, we know he has massive potential and is a natural striker. He's young, he's strong, he's fast, he has the movement, he's just about the perfect player for our system if we got him playing to his best ability. We know he's a risk, but we have shown that we can take damaged players and get them performing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Is it just me or are players just taking the absolute piss out of us now??

Now we are linked to Cavani !!!

HAD proposals? Was Arsenal's before they got Sanchez?

(You know, if we had gotten him, we would all be soooo happy!) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I really hate stories linking us with players of that calibre leaking. Because I can say with a good degree of certainty that so far we've lost Alexis to Arsenal and been linked with Reus, Falcao, Cavanni 4 top players and we will sign none of them.

It does nothing to enhance our chances of getting other players and it highly embarrassing.

That on top of Willian, Salah and MK debacles last year. All highly embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Can we not just sign him?

Balotelli Free Kick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Our record of attracting the top players is really awful. That is why I think we're best off continuing to look at players who no one else wants for whatever reason. Even though Brendan has ruled it out (or has he?), I'd love to see us go in for Balotelli. We know he's available, we know he has massive potential and is a natural striker. He's young, he's strong, he's fast, he has the movement, he's just about the perfect player for our system if we got him playing to his best ability. We know he's a risk, but we have shown that we can take damaged players and get them performing.

+1

I would sign Balotelli in the morning. Actually I probably will this evening when I play Football Manager after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Agreed. Martinez is not a similar prospect now to 2011 Suarez. Suarez is the younger player and we bought him almost 4 years ago. Unless there's a great value player available in his prime (and there isn't, Remy aside) we're more likely to spend money on someone under 24yo who's outgrown his surroundings or who looks like he could make a step up. These players aren't really going at the moment, so I think FSG will look at a loan moves for now.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Cavani is definetly a player with should target. Great finisher works hard & is quick. Would suit our system perfectly too.
    With PSG having spent alot of money they will probably need to sell for FFP purposes. I would think wages could be a stumbling block though.

Wouldn't he be paying 75% tax as a high earner in France? Or, at least, PSG are paying that for him? Maybe with Ibra being so important, they could accept losing him and saving about 500K a week (125 for him, 375 in tax??)

Falcao in fairness is one extreme. Especially with the reported fees involved.

But do you honestly think we would have struggled to compete for the likes of MK and Willian with having champions league football and the additional money behind us from the Suarez sale?

Of course there will always be the unrealistic targets, but it doesnt mean we shouldn't fight for these players or the players one bracket further down.

Rodgers: Hi Ian, I think we should really try for Reus.
    Ayre: No Brendan we just can't compete, I mean have you seen the link with Arsenal today?
    Rodgers: Lets at least try? Make him/the club an offer he/they can't refuse.
    Ayre: I'll go get you Bony.
    Rodgers: But Ia...
    Ayre: Oh Brendan you are silly my sweet naive prince.

THE END.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We've done him - he's a nutter the Anti-Rodgers type of player. Rightly a manager would prefer not spent every waking minute dealing with the japes of such a high maintenance "character". He'd have the dressing room in uproar - first with laughter and then anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There are strikers/forwards/wing forwards out there though who look good enough to be able to perform for us in England and in the CL.

Martinez is one such name, but there are guys like Aubameyang, and Son Heung-min who look to have workrate, pace, skill, and attitude to burn who would be worth a look.

Even Players like Murial, Volland and the like would be well worth a look if we were to ship Borini out and need a new 3rd or 4th choice attacker (assuming of course that we first got in a new 2nd choice guy)

Is a pity that we were seemingly not in for Rodrigo when Benfica were looking to sell, but then again who knows what is going on with him now in terms of third party ownership. He is at Valencia for the coming season, but Benfica sold the rights to the player to some outside company so it seems to be a bit messy.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Wouldn't he be paying 75% tax as a high earner in France? Or, at least, PSG are paying that for him? Maybe with Ibra being so important, they could accept losing him and saving about 500K a week (125 for him, 375 in tax??)

The 75% rate has not kicked in for a lot of footballers in France as the mega rich clubs are taking the hit .

Edit: what I mean is that the players at the rich clubs are still coming home with the exact same wages as they were before, due to their clubs taking the hit on the increased tax rate.

If Stefan Jovetic could stay fit he would be a decent option. Can't see City willing to let him go considering they nursed back to fitness all last season.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The 75% rate has not kicked in. It is 41% in France at the moment, and 0% income tax in Monaco.

I thought it kicked in last winter. Let's see what the courts decide, could be a lot of movement very quickly!

Dickerty wrote: »
    I thought it kicked in last winter. Let's see what the courts decide, could be a lot of movement very quickly!

Yes but afaik clubs like PSG were able to absorb at lot of the cost and as a result their players still got to take home more or less the same amount of money as they had already been and are still paying only 49% (had thought it was 41%) as the full 75% has not kicked in for them thanks to the club taking the hit.

There are still talks of clubs in France going on strike though, and no doubt plenty of court stuff to come as well.

Should have phrased it better as the way I said it first sounded like nobody was taken a hit at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

This is a strange one. He is probably the best we can hope for and imo would do well in the premier league.

I thought he was class when he got gametime in the world cup, but the odd thing was he could barely get into the team.

Either he has a bad attitude or Porto are looking for crazy money.

I am actually happy that there was some substance to the Falcao talk. I genuinely believe some supporters in here have started to believe that we cannot compete for those Class A signings and will be happy with the prospect types.

I find it gas that 95% of this forum have never seen Markovich play or even heard of him, but now use him as an example of us showing ambition.

Ambition is getting a player that would command a starting 11 spot on day one. Aside from Lovren, we haven't made that signing.....and no Suarez.

Lallana will be a certain starter unless his performance levels dip. That's two.

Aly Cissokho to Villa appears to be gathering pace.

I wish him well.

To keep with the trend of odds with the bookies.

We've been cut from 50/1 to 7/4 to sign Falcao since this morning, Madrid gone out from 1/10 to 10/11

Odds don't tumble like that for no reason. Must be some truth behind this madness!

Edit: Just seen this on twitter. This girl seems to be a seriously good source looking at previous tweets.

Even if not it's worth going onto her page ;)

https://twitter.com/Minarzouki
    Mina Rzouki
    @Minarzouki
    Italy may be beautiful for a holiday but it's also useful. Meetings today & a v. good source told me Liverpool have the advantage for Falcao

Mina Rzouki
    @Minarzouki
    It's not yet done. Falcao is between Liverpool and City but the former quite a bit in the lead to land the player. What a coup it would be

Aly Cissokho to Villa appears to be gathering pace.

I wish him well.

Lambert seems to want to do himself out of a job. His recruiting has been shocking - Richardson, Cole, Senderos and Cissokho, if true.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Lallana will be a certain starter unless his performance levels dip. That's two.

Who will Lallana replace? Coutinho Sterling? Henderson?

Gerrard

Henderson
    Allen/Can
    Coutinho
    Sterling

Sturridge

He will rotate with the likes of Coutinho/Sterling/Allen/Henderson

Allen's place probably most at risk but against the tougher sides we would be far to exposed with having lallana in for Allen/Can there

I definitely wouldn't call him a certain starter at all.

Cjs21 wrote: »

We've been cut from 50/1 to 7/4 to sign Falcao since this morning, Madrid gone out from 1/10 to 10/11

Odds don't tumble like that for no reason. Must be some truth behind this madness!

Edit: Just seen this on twitter. This girl seems to be a seriously good source looking at previous tweets.

See 30 posts ago, covered it already and he will not be joining liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Morzadec wrote: »
    You were proven horribly wrong before - would this not humble you somewhat, make you see that you can't possibly know it all and that your perceptions can sometimes lead you astray? Don't be ashamed to admit it, you're human like the rest of us. Is there a secret (maybe unconcious?) part of you hoping that you will be jusrified after all about Rodgers? I failed to believe this was ever the case and dismissed the posters who levelled this accusation towards you and Lloyd. It's clear you both love the club and i never would have thought this of you. Some of your posts recently have led me to question this though...

Boring:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91615790&postcount=2718
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I went on record last season saying I was wrong about Rodgers. I'm happy with him and if we finished 10th this season I'd say he should still get another shot at turning it around. I was also bearish on our prospects last season and dramatically proven wrong there too.

What I can assure you is that I'll continue posting as I always do and, as usual, when people agree with me I'll be the best in the world (i.e. towards the end of last season) and when they disagree with me I'll be the worst (last summer, now). However, at some point people should probably feel tired throwing the above accusation about.

Betting was suspended on Ribery joinging us a few years ago :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I do think, and this isn't specifically aimed at Al or Lloyd, it can be difficult to fully admit an opinion was wrong, and even when it is proven so (Rodgers totally exceling any reasonable expectations) the opinion is still lingering there in the back of the mind!

I'm not exactly sure how much more fully I could have admitted I was wrong on Rodgers than my self quotathon from last year? :confused:

Gerrard

Henderson
    Allen/Can
    Coutinho
    Sterling

Sturridge

Allen's place probably most at risk but against the tougher sides we would be far to exposed with having lallana in for Allen/Can there

I have no doubt he will start ahead of Coutinho when fit. When I say certain starter, I mean he'll be ahead of Coutinho in Rodgers' thoughts initially at least. The rest is down to him.

See 30 posts ago, covered it already and he will not be joining liverpool

Sorry, didn't realise you were calling the shots at the football club, my bad.

Sorry, didn't realise you were calling the shots at the football club, my bad.

Tony Barrett has written an article saying Liverpool enquired last week but he wont be coming as he wants to join Madrid. He is God when it comes to Liverpool transfers in my world.

I have no doubt he will start ahead of Coutinho when fit. When I say certain starter, I mean he'll be ahead of Coutinho in Rodgers' thoughts initially at least. The rest is down to him.

Coutinho is one of our most important players. Has been one of the standout performers during pre season and Rodgers has basically called Coutinho the brains of the team and that he has the potential to be world class.

Coutinho is a vital cog in our side. Not a chance he will lose his place as easily as your suggesting.

• Advertisement

Little bit off topic but

Betfair offering a special of 5/2 on Liverpool and Everton both winning their opening games next weekend.
    Liverpool play a Southampton team who may or may not have 11 to play us while Everton are home to Leicester City.
    Pretty decent value if you ask me on two games that should be pretty bankable, well as bankable as sports betting can be I guess.

https://www.betfair.com/sport/football

Tony Barrett has written an article saying Liverpool enquired last week but he wont be coming as he wants to join Madrid. He is God when it comes to Liverpool transfers in my world.

If we enquired and Madrid decide they're overstocked then it's not a stretch to say there's a chance.

Betting was suspended on Ribery joinging us a few years ago :cool:

Probably because they knew he wasn't going to sign :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Little bit off topic but

Betfair offering a special of 5/2 on Liverpool and Everton both winning their opening games next weekend.
    Liverpool play a Southampton team who may or may not have 11 to play us while Everton are home to Leicester City.
    Pretty decent value if you ask me on two games that should be pretty bankable, well as bankable as sports betting can be I guess.

I know we did it last season, but our recent history in terms of opening game wins is appalling.

1-1 draw, and this place to go nuts that we still don't have another striker.

Coutinho is one of our most important players. Has been one of the standout performers during pre season and Rodgers has basically called Coutinho the brains of the team and that he has the potential to be world class.

Coutinho is a vital cog in our side. Not a chance he will lose his place as easily as your suggesting.

If Rodgers has paid what has been reported for Lallana and made him a priority signing then it's obvious he won't be a bench warmer. If it's not Coutinho, it'll be someone else. Lallana will be a first choice player. Coutinho, gifted as he is, drifts through some games. Eminently droppable.

Knex. wrote: »
    I know we did it last season, but our recent history in terms of opening game wins is appalling.

1-1 draw, and this place to go nuts that we still don't have another striker.

A 4-0 win and this place will probably go nuts saying if we had Remy it would have been 6!
    Cant please everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Little bit off topic but

Remember a lot of the promoted sides often play above themselves in the first few games of the season.

Everton and Liverpool both at home on the same weekend?? Seems weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Everton are away to Leicester :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Gerrard

Henderson
    Allen/Can
    Coutinho
    Sterling

Sturridge

Unlike last year I doubt we'll have a starting 11, more maybe a guaranteed starting 6/7 where ever possible and another 7/8 players getting plenty of game time, but more used tactically and to give players rests/breaks.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure how much more fully I could have admitted I was wrong on Rodgers than my self quotathon from last year? :confused:

So there's no niggling doubt about Rodgers then?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Lambert seems to want to do himself out of a job. His recruiting has been shocking - Richardson, Cole, Senderos and Cissokho, if true.

I thought Cissokho improved as the season went on and showed himself to be a decent full back-not a top top player but certainly mid-table standard. He was played out of position or in an unfamiliar formation early on IIRC and supporters with Djimi Traore still in their heads were over-critical.

Little bit off topic but

Everton are indeed away :eek::mad::(:(:(:(:(
    35hiv55.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement