Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

zarquon wrote: »
    You reckon he'd pick Liverpool ahead of Chelsea, United or PSG :rolleyes:

There are many reasons why this would not happen and certainly there is no way that Liverpool would pay the wages that the others could offer. Even Arsenal offered more money to Sanchez. Not to mention chosing Liverpool over London or Paris as a place to live. Not a chance in hell he would pick liverpool. Some people need to take of their red tinted glasses and face reality!

There is a better chance of Jennifer Lawerence replying to my (endless) tweets about a night out in Flannerys than Reus joining Liverpool over one of the big names in Europe. Always nice to dream though

so-youre-saying-there-a-chance.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We have a very thin squad so he has no competition for the place if fit
    His decline has been well documented and is a shocking indictment of his attitude in my world.

Haha no im no relation to old grumpy Mike65. I do remember his posts though

We have a shocking thin squad yes the manager has had chances to get players in but hasn't he was more concerned about the LB position than the right back position.

His standards have declined yes but to say he is shamelessly taking home his wages each week is not on!

There isn't one person on the planet that would hand back the wages they are paid.

If the club don't want to pay him those wages they can sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

There are many reasons why this would not happen and certainly there is no way that Liverpool would pay the wages that the others could offer. Even Arsenal offered more money to Sanchez. Not to mention chosing Liverpool over London or Paris as a place to live. Not a chance in hell he would pick liverpool. Some people need to take of their red tinted glasses and face reality!

Maybe ahead of united anyway

We do have european football after all :)

Chelsea are unlikely to need him with their summer spending so far, PSG I'm not sure. United have Fellaini

Well we can cross Shaqiri off the wish list once and for all.
    XHERDAN SHAQIRI'S brother has confirmed that the attacking midfielder will be staying at Bayern Munich dashing Liverpool's hopes of signing him.

The Switzerland star has been heavily linked with a move to Anfield this summer while moves to Juventus, Monaco and Roma have also been mooted.

However Erdin Shaqiri, Xherdin's brother and agent, has confirmed that he is in negotiations with Bayern regarding a contract renewal.

Erdin told Bild: "We have opened negotiations for the renewal, hence the player does not move."

His deal with the Bundesliga champions expires 2016 but the club are keen to tie the Shaqiri down on a long-term deal.

We have opened negotiations for the renewal, hence the player does not move
    Erdin Shaqiri
    The 22-year-old recently took to Facebook to slam the transfer speculation.

He wrote on Facebook: "It is the time of year when much is written, but as we all know, there is very little truth behind it.

"As you all know I am currently on holiday so I am not in talks with other clubs nor have I spoken with any journalists.

"I have a contract with FC Bayern until 2016.

"My advisors are in regular contact with the responsible people at FC Bayern so there is no reason for speculation."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Liverpool should buy Valbuena if Reus is not available.

By all accounts the hammers are after him...lol.
    £6.5m is a fcuking bargain :)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/29/west-ham-qpr-mathieu-valbuena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Well we can cross Shaqiri off the wish list once and for all.

Xherdan ad Erdin? What was their mother thinking?

By all accounts the hammers are after him...lol.
    £6.5m is a fcuking bargain :)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/29/west-ham-qpr-mathieu-valbuena

He is a right winger though when we need a striker
    Plus he doesnt score, he only got 3 goals last year in an average French league
    Wouldnt like to see him being a priority, grand if he is in addition to a striker but id imagine his playing time would be limited given Sterling and Markovic will occupy that position for most of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I reckon we could match PSG regarding wages up to about £200k a week, and he'd be playing in a better league. I reckon he'd get more football at Liverpool than Chelsea. And I reckon he'd fancy playing in the Champions League.

By the way, I don't recall Manchester United being based in Paris or London. Care to elaborate on why you think he'd go to United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I want.....

does he remind you of someone the way he turns/terrorises defenders and not afraid to run at them.

Doesn't really need to get the head up when in front of goal as he knows where the net is.

there is a rumour that the Remy deal wont hurt as much as we have a good chance of landing him.

First time I had a look at him. He reminds me of Thierry Henry tbh. Skill, technique, poise, strength, speed, intelligent, good vision and link up play.

He defends from the front. Looks hungry just to play the game and win.

I agree, would go for this guy over the likes of Lavezzi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Just by going on some quotes Shaqiri has given, I never saw the link as genuine and it was clear he was just using other clubs as leverage to get what he wanted from Bayern. Players like that always piss me off so not bothered by "missing out" on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sappy404 wrote: »
    By the way, I don't recall Manchester United being based in Paris or London. Care to elaborate on why you think he'd go to United?

Because zarquon supports them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Valbuena is available at £6.5m, then it's a fúcking no-brainer.

we need someone to take the pressure off Sterling, because as things stand, i think he's going to be relied on an awful lot this season, and we need to make sure he's not burned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I want.....

does he remind you of someone the way he turns/terrorises defenders and not afraid to run at them.

Doesn't really need to get the head up when in front of goal as he knows where the net is.

there is a rumour that the Remy deal wont hurt as much as we have a good chance of landing him.

Have to admit I'd never heard of him until a few days ago. But he does look a very exciting player.

Could see him really having the attributes to compliment the players we have and the way we attack.

How much do you think he would be going for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

SlickRic wrote: »

we need someone to take the pressure off Sterling, because as things stand, i think he's going to be relied on an awful lot this season, and we need to make sure he's not burned out.

Coutinho, Markovic, Lallana?

We can't play them all, and they will all want to play. They are all good enough to play.

How will Coutinho feel if he spends much of this season sitting on the bench? He'll be gone. And instead of a 23 year old Coutinho, with the world at his feet, we'll be sitting next summer with a 30 yeard old Valbuena.

Good player. Not what we need.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Have to admit I'd never heard of him until a few days ago. But he does look a very exciting player.

Could see him really having the attributes to compliment the players we have and the way we attack.

Same as yourself, had barely heard of him.

Rumour is 18m, or so, I believe.

SlickRic wrote: »

I really like Valbuena but I wonder are we not fully stocked in this position? He is essentially a playmaking midfielder and with Coutinho and Lallana both vying for this type of role in the team I wonder if we'll have any interest.

6.5 does seem very cheap though even if he is 29 and will probably ask for quite high wages. There's a bargain to be had for someone there anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

In other news, Utd buy unfit 30m player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Im more worried about when Sakho and Lovern push a high line to play offside and Johnson is staring into the crowd wondering how he is going to spend the 100k a week he is shamelessly taking home each week and plays everyone else onside.

Making more and more sense to play a back 3 of Skrtel Lovern Sakho and then have wing backs such as Can and Enrique or even Johnson who might revel in the fact that he only has to attack rather than worry about his actual job and keep a clean sheet.

Could have Liverpool and United both playing 343 next season which was unheard of in the premiership until very recently.

Rodgers did experiment with 3 centre backs for a short period last year as he attempted to find a system that allowed him to get the S&S working upfront together.

However, the current system is quite similar to 3 centre backs when attacking. The full back push up and wide and the centre back spread out. Gerrard then drops deep into almost a centre back position to pick up the ball (Chelsea game where he lost the ball!!).

If we went to 3 centre backs then I think Rodgers would have to take Gerrard out as that role would be redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

ebbsy wrote: »
    In other news, Utd buy unfit 30m player.

We can't laugh.... 35m on one unfit player, 20m on one permanently injured player...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

We can't laugh.... 35m on one unfit player, 20m on one permanently injured player...

Who did united sign?

NoelJ wrote: »
    Who did united sign?

Shaw ordered to train on his own by LVG, who stated he was nowhere near fit enough.

NoelJ wrote: »
    Who did united sign?

Shaw.

Van Gaal said he returned to pre season unfit.

Shaw.

Which is mental considering he had to train with England during the WC.

Did he spend two weeks eating burgers while sitting on his hole playing FIFA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shaw.

But isn't that what pre-season is about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Knex. wrote: »
    Shaw ordered to train on his own by LVG, who stated he was nowhere near fit enough.

Surely if he has to do extra training the fat Rooney should be doing extra extra training also???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

ratracer wrote: »
    Surely if he has to do extra training the fat Rooney should be doing extra extra training also???
    Rooney isn't fat :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Alexandre Lacazette and Mathieu Valbuena between them would fill the remaining holes up top, sign this young right back from Atletico - Javier Manquillo and the squad would nearly be done.

Agger out for 12 million
    Toure out for 1 million
    Reina - god only knows
    Assaidi - 7 million
    Borini (yes he will leave) 12 million

That's nearly 30 million back in.Which would leave plenty for the January signing of Ward-Prowse and Nathaniel Clyne! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Could be a mental play by van gaal. Bring shaw back to the ground having been bought for 30m

murpho999 wrote: »
    But isn't that what pre-season is about?

But that's what a holiday is for eating burgers and playing FIFA.

Agree that's what I though pre season was for to get fit for the start of the season.

Maybe he wasn't a Van Gaal signing and he is doing something like what Rodgers did with players he didn't bring in.

Sakho always attacks the ball, and while he wins a huge percentage, he is still liable to over-committing on occasion.

We were linked with Papadopulous, who was the same, and now we have Lovren, who is similar, while not as aggressive for it, in the same manner as Sakho and Papa.

Interesting though that these are the defenders we have signed and been linked too.

I think Lovren has an ideal balance, in terms of knowing when to attack, and when to drop off. He backs himself at the right occasion. I think Sakho is such a physical beast, he backs himself on every occasion, and sometimes this leads to him getting badly beaten, albeit I do thinks it rare.

At 24 and 25, I genuinely feel in a few years, the two of them could be one of the best partnerships around, if injuries etc go their way.

The ceiling for both is much higher than that for Skrtel and Agger, who are still fairly reliable CB's in the right system.

My only issue with playing both Lovren and Sakho, is possibly some growing pains if they both overcommitt, when you don't have one of them having that natural sweeper mentality. Something which saw Ferdinand compliment Vidic so well. Or Carvalho, Terry.

Still, I am very excited to see what they bring to the table over the next few years. Its a huge area of the team to be potentially set in.

Look even at what Dortmund were able to build once they instilled Subotic and Hummels, even.

Just in relation to this and the MNF video, you can really see it in his stats too that he's a "proactive" defender.

He made an average of 2 tackles per game and 2.7 interceptions last year. These are amongst the highest in the league for a centre back in both metrics. That's a trend that continued on from his Lyon days where he was making a lot of interceptions too, so nothing to do with Southampton's system really - this is just the way he plays the game, and the clip with RVP is a good example.

Compared to our centre backs last year (who all had roughly 1.5 per game for each) you can see that Lovren is a little different, a little more aggressive and proactive.

The challenge will be to forge an effective partnership with either Skrtel or Sakho, whereby each player knows his role and knows what the other centre back is going to do as Knex alluded to.

But I do think we may have signed one of the top 5 centre backs in the league. I initially said that 20m was overpaying but I think I might retract that statement. He's definitely the signing I'm most pleased with, as it does look like he will really strengthen the team. If he's as good as he looks and if he plays as well as he did last season, then at 25 years of age I think we might have made a very good signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Rooney isn't fat :confused:

Compared to pics of some other players during the World Cup, Ronney is a slob. I'm not doubting his playing ability or his skill, but he's no athlete IMO

* I would take his weekly wage though, and I'm no cover model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Coutinho, Markovic, Lallana?

We can't play them all, and they will all want to play. They are all good enough to play.

How will Coutinho feel if he spends much of this season sitting on the bench? He'll be gone. And instead of a 23 year old Coutinho, with the world at his feet, we'll be sitting next summer with a 30 yeard old Valbuena.

Good player. Not what we need.

fair point.

i'm just so desperate for quality signings, that i'm not really thinking straight.

in reality, we need another striker - preferably with pace to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I want.....

Looks class, would he be gettable? How much?

sign him up

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Morzadec wrote: »

€15/€20mil I would say will land it.

But that's what a holiday is for eating burgers and playing FIFA.

Agree that's what I though pre season was for to get fit for the start of the season.

Maybe he wasn't a Van Gaal signing and he is doing something like what Rodgers did with players he didn't bring in.

Not a month before preseason starts no. Especially when you are 19, and just signed for one of the biggest clubs in the world for 30m.

I'd bloody hang him out to dry, if I was a coach and he came back to me drastically unfit in comparison to others.

Modern Sport, at the professional level, is absolutely brutal. The demands are higher than ever, and you need every advantage you can get. This isn't the 80's, where the Liverpool lads got away with drinking and partying on a regular basis.

Careers are relatively short, and if you want to play at the absolute upper echelon of the game, and the likes of United are certainly that, then you owe it to your Club and teammates to stay fit all year round, barring injury.

The WC this summer, which he was lucky to be involved in, meant whatever relaxed/party time he potentially had was gone, tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Well done Everton.

Lukaku for £24mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Well done Everton.

Lukaku for £24mil.

Any link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Cavani taken off the posters and ads for the new PSG jerseys.....

Express

Metro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Well done Everton.

Lukaku for £24mil.
    More like well done Chelsea. Lukaku is a decent player but that is too much for a player lacking technique.

Not a month before preseason starts no. Especially when you are 19, and just signed for one of the biggest clubs in the world for 30m.

I'd bloody hang him out to dry, if I was a coach and he came back to me drastically unfit in comparison to others.

Modern Sport, at the professional level, is absolutely brutal. The demands are higher than ever, and you need every advantage you can get. This isn't the 80's, where the Liverpool lads got away with drinking and partying on a regular basis.

Careers are relatively short, and if you want to play at the absolute upper echelon of the game, and the likes of United are certainly that, then you owe it to your Club and teammates to stay fit all year round, barring injury.

The WC this summer, which he was lucky to be involved in, meant whatever relaxed/party time he potentially had was gone, tbh.

But that it he is 19 not 29 he should be able to get back into shape after 2/3 weeks hoilday in a week of pre season if he can't do that then there maybe more to it than just his fitness levels.

I agree with you that times have changed and a career is short.

But it's not like he has done a Dean Kiely and came back 3/4 stone over weight.

But I am liking Van Gaal complaining about loads of things that are wrong at Utd or that he sees wrong.

• Advertisement

Bit harsh on Shaw lads to be fair
    If you read the full LVG interview what he says is that he wants Shaw as a wing back not just a left back so he wants him to work on some things.
    I assume that could simply mean crossing along with his stamina obviously.
    As others have said thats what pre season is for. Shaw came back from holidays a week early to train with United so its not as if he has turned into fat frank overnight or something.

Exact quotes
    'Luke needs to be fit and he’s not very fit and can’t perform how I want. He needs to be fit and to train individually.
    'I can’t judge why. I see what I see. I have spoken with him and we have made a programme with him.
    'He has agreed. We will have to see how long it takes. I don’t know.
    'I have heard good messages from Tony Strudwick the fitness coach.'

But I am liking Van Gaal complaining about loads of things that are wrong at Utd or that he sees wrong.

I'm not. I'd far prefer that he was unable to identify them :p

I'm not. I'd far prefer that he was unable to identify them :p

I just can't wait till he say something about Alex hanging around Old Trafford to much and distracting everyone :pac:

The stare down between those two would be epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

A wing back is a lot different then a LB which he is used to so not surprised he isn't fit enough for the role tbh.

Anyone know if Lovren has gone over to the states?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Anyone know if Lovren has gone over to the states?

SSN said yesterday he was flying out to join them so I presume he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

MD1990 wrote: »
    More like well done Chelsea. Lukaku is a decent player but that is too much for a player lacking technique.

Lacking technique? He young and has a lot to learn no doubt but was lethal last season. Plenty excellent technique plenty of times last season. Great player and signing for them.

Many laughed at Everton last season as a group of loan buys but they have now made Barry and lukaku perm signings and we actually the team that lost our best player.

Am worried by attacking players the teams around us are signing while we lose suarez. Really hope BR signs a quality attacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

That Lacazette highlights video is by far the best highlights video (excluding Ronaldinho) that I've seen in a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

viper006 wrote: »
    Lacking technique? He young and has a lot to learn no doubt but was lethal last season. Plenty excellent technique plenty of times last season. Great player and signing for them.

Many laughed at Everton last season as a group of loan buys but they have now made Barry and lukaku perm signings and we actually the team that lost our best player.

Am worried by attacking players the teams around us are signing while we lose suarez. Really hope BR signs a quality attacker.
    He has a poor first touch. Origi at the World Cup outshone him & we got him for 10m. Lukaku is a good striker but way overpriced. I think your forgetting Sturridge was the 2nd top scorer in the PL despite missing about 10 games. We do obvioulsy need another forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

taidghbaby wrote: »
    That Lacazette highlights video is by far the best highlights video (excluding Ronaldinho) that I've seen in a long time!

He's not that good! But he is tidy and "tekkerz", unafraid to run with the ball and shoot quickly. Is the obvious player to rotate with Sturridge

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement