Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Has Lallana played left wing for Southampton?

I thought we might have lined up a bit like this:

Gerrard

Hendo/Can

Sterling --- Coutinho -- Lallana

Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

brevity wrote: »

Gerrard

Hendo/Can

Sturridge
    Yep, I'd say it'll be very close to what you have there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Gerrard

Hendo/Can

Sturridge

I think when fit, Lallana will play left narrow CM in the way that Hendo does right - won't be a winger, will be behind the ball on defence and milling around. He has an engine similar to Hendo, but more ability to thread a pass, and they can alternate getting forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Gerrard

Hendo/Can

Sturridge
    Yep, I'd say it'll be very close to what you have there.

That's the way I saw it too. Very fluid attack in behind Sturridge, those 3 can move about and swap positions comfortably. Up to Allen, Can and Markovic to force their way in.

Not been hearing a lot about Benteke since his injury. What do folks reckon? With Lerner desperate to cut costs and get out of Villa, I'd say he'd be happy to listen to offers.

Not been hearing a lot about Benteke since his injury. What do folks reckon? With Lerner desperate to cut costs and get out of Villa, I'd say he'd be happy to listen to offers.

Nope, there is far better out there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Possibly but he probably won't be fully recovered until after Christmas. Long time to wait on another striker.

A lot of people wanted us to spend 20m on Benteke last year iirc, similarities with Bony this year. Fwiw I'm a fan of neither. Like others I thought Remy would be ideal for us, but Falcao or Cavani will do I suppose. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Dickerty wrote: »
    Nope, there is far better out there.....

Depends on the price quoted, no? He's a beast when on song and injury free. That said, he spends a bit of each season looking like a Championship player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lallana will start ahead of coutinho when everyone is fit. very surprised if liverpool start three from gerrard, henderson, allen/can many times either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

A lot of people wanted us to spend 20m on Benteke last year iirc, similarities with Bony this year. Fwiw I'm a fan of neither. Like others I thought Remy would be ideal for us, but Falcao or Cavani will do I suppose. :p

Last year we didn't have CL football and £75m from the sale of our star striker.

Benteke and Bony - there is better out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Bearing in mind his age, would anyone consider £20m for a fully-fit Remy good value? I'm starting to think the main reason people thought he was a good fit is because of his price.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Bearing in mind his age, would anyone consider £20m for a fully-fit Remy good value? I'm starting to think the main reason people thought he was a good fit is because of his price.

Why would anyone pay 20 million when he had a release clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

People who think Jackson Martinez is better than bony are basing it solely on the fact that one plays for Swansea so must be worse. Bony is better than Martinez in almost every aspect IMO. Martinez is faster, that's about it.

mosstin wrote: »
    Why would anyone pay 20 million when he had a release clause?

Hypothetical question. Would you consider him to be worth £20m?

No. I don't get the question though. Remy did a medical, failed it. Why bother yourself about it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

No. I don't get the question though. Remy did a medical, failed it. Why bother yourself about it now?

Sappy is just asking would people have been happy to sign Remy if he was £20m and not £8.5.
    To be honest I would have, I think £8.5 is way too low and £20m is too high, he is probably worth £15m but would have been happy to see us overpay him as strikers are so rare and would have been a perfect back up for Sturridge

I want to gauge interest in him independent from the obvious value in his low valuation, because it looks like people mostly wanted him because he was cheap. Let me put it another way: if they were all worth the same (let's say £20m) and injury/medical condition free, who would you take: Remy (27), Bony (25), or Benteke (23)?

• Advertisement

Good question. The whole thing about Remy was that 1. He was relatively cheap. 2. He is in the prime of his career. 3. He has shown he can score in the league. 4. He has previous CL and International experience. 5. On paper he fits our style.

Taking away number 1, which was a big factor imo, he has shown he can score in the PL, but was he scoring enough to cost 20m? Probably not imo. Close to it maybe, but I wouldn't have grumbled if it had been spent on him.

Everyone loves a bargain though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lallana will start ahead of coutinho when everyone is fit. very surprised if liverpool start three from gerrard, henderson, allen/can many times either.

I think people might be surprised by how much game time both Can and Couthino get this season. Could be a massive season for both of them. If he reaches his potential I can't see Lallana (or anyone else) keeping Couthino out of the team

tritium wrote: »
    I think people might be surprised by how much game time both Can and Couthino get this season. Could be a massive season for both of them. If he reaches his potential I can't see Lallana (or anyone else) keeping Couthino out of the team

If Lallana plays like he did last season (in the team of the year), it would be foolish to not find room for him! Much more of a goal threat, more suited to defensive duties when needed. I suspect he'll start more PL games than Cou, but the latter will start more PL games...

I agree on Can though, I think he'll be a must-have as the season progresses, possible at the expense of Stevie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Cavanis agent seemingly talking up the transfer.

Echo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe we ask Luis to do us one last favor.

Ask him to come out in the press and say Cavani told him he doesn't like it at PSG and he should be freed to leave PSG if he wants. :pac:

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Cavanis agent seemingly talking up the transfer.

Echo

I wonder why agents do this ?
    Surely if we were solidly interested in him we would be in discussions with his agent so he would have no reason to leak this ?
    Is it just to drum up interest from other clubs and use us and arsenal as a smokescreen?
    I wonder did we drop the Remy interest because we heard he was available?

Cant wait till we play southampton with this team ;)

Mingolet
    Flanagan Sakho Lovern Moreno
    Gerrard
    Reus Vidal Sterling
    Sturridge Cavani

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Would people be happy with Cavani? I've got the impression from reading these boards that some don't rate him much.

Surely if we were solidly interested in him we would be in discussions with his agent so he would have no reason to leak this ?
    Is it just to drum up interest from other clubs and use us and arsenal as a smokescreen?

Mingolet
    Gerrard
    Reus Vidal Sterling
    Sturridge Cavani

You forgot Falcao! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Mingolet
    Gerrard
    Reus Vidal Sterling
    Sturridge Cavani

Reus is in the wrong position.....when will someone get this right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Would people be happy with Cavani? I've got the impression from reading these boards that some don't rate him much.

Nah he just needs to step up his game thats all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

You forgot Falcao! ;)

And Dani alves

• Advertisement

New draft

You could argue this would be the strongest starting 11 in the premiership
    What would it cost? Reus £30m, Cavani £40m Alves £6m

Mingolet
    Alves Sakho Lovern Moreno
    Gerrard
    Sterling Coutinho Reus
    Sturidge Cavani

Playing fantasy football really is great. Must fire up football manager when I get home

I want to gauge interest in him independent from the obvious value in his low valuation, because it looks like people mostly wanted him because he was cheap. Let me put it another way: if they were all worth the same (let's say £20m) and injury/medical condition free, who would you take: Remy (27), Bony (25), or Benteke (23)?

Bony.

Thank god that Icardi rumour was just BS

Icardi’s agent Letterio Pino has now revealed that Liverpool have not been in touch to discuss the forward’s availability. “Neither have I, nor Abian Morano, his other agent, ever had any contacts with the English club,” he told Sportitalia.

I think people are getting way too hung up on fees tbh.

If it's the right player and the club can afford it shouldn't be an issue

Would have no problem is us bringing in Cavani myself. The fee would be extortionate but there's nothing that we can do about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well he was rubbish in the World Cup and Italian football is a very different beast to the prem, I don't recall him being quick off the mark in any of those games, more looking for a ball knocked forward or from wide.

Did he do anything in the CL against Chelsea? Don't recall anything...

Cavani would be quality.

Get it done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Cavani is a class act. So we might be forced to pay a little more. That's what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Cavani would be quality.

Get it done

I don't like him...

Sure didn't he tell Suarez he was too good for a "small team" like us?

(He was probably right, but that's neither here or there!)

I don't know would he be "all that" in the PL, truth be told....

Question for everyone:

Would you rather.....

Falcao for a year loan for £12 million

or

Cavani Transfer for £28 million

Bear in mind that Cavani has max 3 -4 years left in his "Top League" career and Falcao is 10 times the player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really wouldn't want Cavani is massively overrated and I would expect a much better striker for the fee been bandied about.

Bony over Cavani for me even.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Question for everyone:

Would you rather.....

Falcao for a year loan for £12 million

or

Cavani Transfer for £28 million

Bear in mind that Cavani has max 3 -4 years left in his "Top League" career and Falcao is 10 times the player.

C: Emile Heskey.

Fieldog wrote: »
    I don't like him...

Sure didn't he tell Suarez he was too good for a "small team" like us?

(He was probably right, but that's neither here or there!)

I don't know would he be "all that" in the PL, truth be told....

I wouldn't mind finding out.

130 goals in his last 180 apps for Napoli and PSG

rob316 wrote: »
    Really wouldn't want Cavani is massively overrated and I would expect a much better striker for the fee been bandied about.

Bony over Cavani for me even.

Overrated in what sense? By the number of goals he clocks up every season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think people are getting way too hung up on fees tbh.

If it's the right player and the club can afford it shouldn't be an issue

It depends what "afford it" means.

For the sake of argument, say we spend 50m on Falcao; we probably become title contenders and all that for a few years.
    But a few years down the line, we're having to replace him without him providing any money in return because he's worth a pittance at 32.

This is the trick with buying youngsters - it's possible that they'll completely flop and you'll sell them at a massive loss after a few years, but there's a very good chance that they'll either stick in the team for a long time whereby their fee becomes less and less important (Hendo), if things don't work out you'll still get a fair bit of the money back (Caroll) or if they're poached they'll generate a huge amount of money to reinvest (Suarez).

That doesn't mean that it should never be done or that we couldn't take the hit from one signing like Falcao, but doing it for too many players leaves you with a massive bill down the line that clubs like us can't handle and I presume that's the idea underpinning our transfer strategy as a whole that's designed first and foremost, to keep us within touching distance of the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Even a top player is not guaranteed to succeed. Shevchenko for instance got the Ballon d'Or a year before he signed to Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭shoxter

Cavani was a class act in a Napoli team that relied on a strong work ethic,often requiring him to track back and win balls in the centre of the field. He started well at PSG despite being option B for balls forward with Ibra being the main target, like being a corner forward in GAA terms when the managers demanding every ball in to the full forward! A lot of his goals at Napoli and for the national team came from quick counter attacks which would suit us nicely as he is a ruthless finisher especially from tight angles.
    I cant remember the source but I recall reading before the WC that the poor latter half of the season with PSG was down to a messy divorce that affected him badly, going off his records i would be confident he would be superb for any of the top 4 (or United :pac: ). If we get him without going OTT I would be delighted but I reckon just like if we were in for Falcao, Chelsea would outbid us just so we wont have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Boring:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91615790&postcount=2718

What I can assure you is that I'll continue posting as I always do and, as usual, when people agree with me I'll be the best in the world (i.e. towards the end of last season) and when they disagree with me I'll be the worst (last summer, now). However, at some point people should probably feel tired throwing the above accusation about.

Lloyd fir the record that part of my post was not aimed at you.

I've never actually aimed that accusation at anyone on this forum and i have never thought it of you.

There were some parts of Alan's recent posts where such an attitude seemed to be escaping (albeit in a latent rather than obvious way). And like i said it would be a 'small part'. I'm sure mostly Alan would be devastated if we were to fail again.

Anyway we'll forget about it, i agree it's a bit of a boring debate that doesn't really add much to the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Gbear wrote: »
    It depends what "afford it" means.

For the sake of argument, say we spend 50m on Falcao; we probably become title contenders and all that for a few years.
    But a few years down the line, we're having to replace him without him providing any money in return because he's worth a pittance at 32.

If that's the case then 50m well spent IMO.

Very simplistic view on it cos it's just one player, but if he's the one to tip us over the edge and give that extra 5 - 10% or whatever is required then you're going to make that money back with winnings and CL every year, new sponsorship deals etc etc.

The rest of the transfer strategy is sound and allows IMO for one or two of these deals every now and then. Especially with Suarez money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya there's a couple here with there constant negativity that bring out the worst of usually decent posters.

i don't see a problem with posters who have an alternative view...if we all agreed about things all the time then the world would be boring

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement