Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Lads, don't do it to yourself. Liverpool will not be signing Cavani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Of course we're not.

We are signing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

rob316 wrote: »
    Really wouldn't want Cavani is massively overrated and I would expect a much better striker for the fee been bandied about.

Bony over Cavani for me even.

Granted he didn't have a great season at psg but the guy is quality and scored an incredible amount of goals in last few years. I'd be delighted to get him in.

It's funny in another post ur complaining about other posters negativity but your complaining yourself at us being linked to one of genuinely top European strikers of recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Seems like we won't be signing Moreno either at this rate. Why do you think we have no hope of signing Cavani?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

rob316 wrote: »
    Would Higuain be attainable? Still only 26 and a fantastic goal scorer. £30m he was sold for to Napoli only last season so its probably not realistic.

Dont rate him at all... no pace... we need a pacy forward tbh..

• Advertisement

Is it just me or are players just taking the absolute piss out of us now??

Now we are linked to Cavani !!!

watched Cavani vs Chelsea last season and he was quite average...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

mada999 wrote: »
    Dont rate him at all... no pace... we need a pacy forward tbh..

I think we need a forward with a track record of getting goals. Suarez didn't have a great deal of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lallana will start ahead of coutinho when everyone is fit. very surprised if liverpool start three from gerrard, henderson, allen/can many times either.

Coutinho should be a nailed on starter imo it would be crazy to leave him out.

I will be delighted if Lallana can match Coutinho's level this year.

At the moment, everyone fit, Lallana probably does get into our strongest XI out wide in the front 3.

If we sign another forward/striker that might change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Seems like we won't be signing Moreno either at this rate. Why do you think we have no hope of signing Cavani?

Because we have Sturridge so Cavani would have to warm the bench all year asw are not allowed to play with more than one striker at a time so Cavani would not be happy with this

Morzadec wrote: »
    Coutinho should be a nailed on starter imo it would be crazy to leave him out.

I will be delighted if Lallana can match Coutinho's level this year.

At the moment, everyone fit, Lallana probably does get into our strongest XI out wide in the front 3.

If we sign another forward/striker that might change

Coutinho on form is class, pure class but he's not fully consistent yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Cavani would make a lot of sense to me. If it's feasible financially. Especially since he has played wide left a lot during his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Coutinho on form is class, pure class but he's not fully consistent yet.

And he can't shoot for ****. If he was more consistent he'd be first choice every week.

Gbear wrote: »
    It depends what "afford it" means.

For the sake of argument, say we spend 50m on Falcao; we probably become title contenders and all that for a few years.
    But a few years down the line, we're having to replace him without him providing any money in return because he's worth a pittance at 32.

This is the trick with buying youngsters - it's possible that they'll completely flop and you'll sell them at a massive loss after a few years, but there's a very good chance that they'll either stick in the team for a long time whereby their fee becomes less and less important (Hendo), if things don't work out you'll still get a fair bit of the money back (Caroll) or if they're poached they'll generate a huge amount of money to reinvest (Suarez).

why not bring him in and be title contenders for a few years? the problem i see with youngsters is we nurture them along for a few years and suffer their mistakes and then when they are the real deal a club like real or barca will take them off us...we need a mixture of both in the squad...

mosstin wrote: »
    And he can't shoot for ****. If he was more consistent he'd be first choice every week.

He is an assist machine though (especially for Sturridge) and even if he can't shoot. The guys who can shoot need those assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cavani remids of Ibra a few years ago. Cavani was poor against Chelsea & at the World Cup so suddenly everyone thinks he is overated. But he is a top class striker & if we signed him I would be delighted would even prefer him over Sanchez as he is a better finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Twud happily sign Cavani. He wouldn't be my 1st choice but imagine he would do a fairly decent job.

Falcao would be a dream signing. He would be amazing in the premiership, it's a pity about his crazy ass wages.

Can't see us signing either of the above. I know we desperately need a striker but Reus and Isco are two players that I really would love to sign. 2 outstanding footballers.

Think we will end up signing eith of these two players which I strangely enough posted about this day last year.
    BONY!!!

Brian Deane claimed to have taken him to Liverpool for a trial when he was only 19.

Also read that Liverpool were very close to signing Martinez last year but were not prepared to spend 7M on someone only proven in the Mexican league, they decided to sign Borini instead :(

He is an assist machine though and even if he can't shoot. The guys who can shoot need those assists.

I love Coutinho. When he's on song, amazing player but he drifts through far too many games. He's the type of player you want to be in the team every week but there's a suspicion that he's a liability for us in certain games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

watched Cavani vs Chelsea last season and he was quite average...

So was suarez

Fescue wrote: »
    I think we need a forward with a track record of getting goals. Suarez didn't have a great deal of pace.

thought Suarez was quite mobile and quick off the mark imo

thought Suarez was quite mobile and quick off the mark imo

He looked fast in the derby when we hit them for that goal on the break but it was Jagielka chasing him, himself no greyhound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I love Coutinho. When he's on song, amazing player but he drifts through far too many games. He's the type of player you want to be in the team every week but there's a suspicion that he's a liability for us in certain games.

Agreed and that is one of the reasons I like the lallana signing. These guys should make each other better players.

I agree but what you have to look at for what ever reason last season was as close to a full season he has played at the age of 22.

I think and hope that he is building up the strength and stamina now to be able to last a full season in the PL. If he does I think he really could become the stand out player in the PL.

He could become to us what Mata and Sliva were/are to Chelsea and City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mickalus wrote: »
    If that's the case then 50m well spent IMO.

Very simplistic view on it cos it's just one player, but if he's the one to tip us over the edge and give that extra 5 - 10% or whatever is required then you're going to make that money back with winnings and CL every year, new sponsorship deals etc etc.

The rest of the transfer strategy is sound and allows IMO for one or two of these deals every now and then. Especially with Suarez money.

Yeah. If there's a solid squad there of 14 or 15 of young players we're happy to start in a CL final, then you can afford to go after a superstar or two and if it's a bust you've still got that squad there more or less sticking together that can go again the next year.

The longer you hold your nerve and the more solid that foundation gets, the less risk there is with the superstar.

Of course, there's not much to suggest that we're after that calibre of player given that we were happy to move down to Remy after we failed to get Sanchez. Having Falcao or Cavani as our third choice is somewhat puzzling.
    I'm inclined to think that it's more of a chancing our arm sort of thing than it being part of the master plan at the start of the summer, if indeed it's not just agents waffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I agree but what you have to look at for what ever reason last season was as close to a full season he has played at the age of 22.

I think and hope that he is building up the strength and stamina now to be able to last a full season in the PL. If he does I think he really could become the stand out player in the PL.

I think we can all see how good he is at times. It's just there feels like there is potentially another level there with him. Maybe consistent games now and the need for him to step up with Suarez gone might help him move to that level. He's a match winner so hope to see him progress to be a certainty on the team the way Sterling is doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Because we are Liverpool. Not man City, not Chelsea, not Madrid or Barcelona. He is a level above us

My favourite moment from last season was that pass vs Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Because we are Liverpool. Not man City, not Chelsea, not Madrid or Barcelona. He is a level above us

The thing is though, there's always going to be a few players of one sort or another who'll fall through the cracks.

I could see him going to Chelsea or City, just because they can and it'd be worth getting him to prevent us or anyone else in the league from doing so, but most of the top European clubs are well stocked at CF.

Bayern just signed Lewandowski, Barca and Real have ludicrous amounts of attacking talent, Chelsea have bought Costa, City have 4 top class strikers, Dortmund bought a rake of strikers, as did Atletico and I doubt they'd have the money anyway.

It's not that likely, but it's not totally off the wall either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Cavani would be an excellent signing, he's a good finisher and would definitely have the physicality for the Premier League. I just cant imagine us making this kind of signing for some reason, but I really hope I'm proven wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This thread has gotten incredibly arrogant.

Rival fans are going to love it if/when we fall this season :(

Worrying about what rival fans think is for school children, support your team for the virtue of the effort and quality of football produced by the squad. Not for being able to lord it over other team's supporters.*

*acknowledged that this is an almost unattainable philosophy

• Advertisement

Manchester United honour Howard Webb after announcing his retirement. Testimonial to be announced!

10482407_560197127459157_2002755758559196996_n.jpg?oh=c38cd87fde77e8519ff0883d0eff32bf&oe=543F5226&__gda__=1414769822_41176bff54c37b496fe43ff5fdc67b34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If it's true that we've enquired about Falcao and Cavani, it's super encouraging, regardless of how you rate those individual players. It means that we're looking for a top-class attacker, and that the club are prepared to back Rodgers in bringing one in. Can't ask for much beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

All this talk of Cavani and Falcao is confusing me. Jackson Martinez is a better option in many ways IMO. He's quick, he tracks back, great on the counter attack, great in the air, quality finisher and most importantly, 100% affordable for a club with our financial situation. His transfer fee could go up to £30m, but his wage demands would be half what Cavani and Falcao would be looking for. Having said that, if Brendan wants Cavani or Falcao, I won't argue with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How long till this seasons Luc Castaignos link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Last season was a huge missed oppertunity to win a championship.
    No way Liverpool will come close to it again for a while anyway.

2C3C4B4EE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just spotted that Brad Smith has Anton Rodgers as a team mate at Swindon Town. No bunking off then!

Cheers Nostradamus. You should email the club this valuable info before we spunk the Suarez money on Cavani.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

garra wrote: »
    Worrying about what rival fans think is for school children, support your team for the virtue of the effort and quality of football produced by the squad. Not for being able to lord it over other team's supporters.*

*acknowledged that this is an almost unattainable philosophy

The Irony is Alan was one of the most cocksure of posters in the United thread when it came to defending/bigging up liverpool last season(after dismissing our chances in preseason)particularly in the run in ,its only when he comes to the liverpool thread that we turn into the ugly red headed step child.

Just spotted that Brad Smith has Anton Rodgers as a team mate at Swindon Town. No bunking off then!

Maybe Brendan sent him there to keep an eye on Anton. Brendan doesn't want any more court trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Maybe Brendan sent him there to keep an eye on Anton. Brendan doesn't want any more court trouble.

Ah here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I agree i think he's going to be an absolute star.

I'm exoecting big things from him this season and i think he could become our most influential player.

I think he's ready to make that step up on what has already been a very impressive Liverpool career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I an see Coutinho in the Gerrard 'pivot' role a bit this season. He has the vision and the tenacity for a more withdrawn role IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

tritium wrote: »
    I think people might be surprised by how much game time both Can and Couthino get this season. Could be a massive season for both of them. If he reaches his potential I can't see Lallana (or anyone else) keeping Couthino out of the team

Not sure how many Can will get, depends on Gerrards & Henderons fitness. Coutinho will start when available and fresh, can see him starting 40+ games if he maintains current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

martyos121 wrote: »
    All this talk of Cavani and Falcao is confusing me. Jackson Martinez is a better option in many ways IMO. He's quick, he tracks back, great on the counter attack, great in the air, quality finisher and most importantly, 100% affordable for a club with our financial situation. His transfer fee could go up to £30m, but his wage demands would be half what Cavani and Falcao would be looking for. Having said that, if Brendan wants Cavani or Falcao, I won't argue with it!

Jackson signed a new 3 year deal at Porto over the weekend and is unproven in a top league compared to the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Maybe I'm sceptical, but does anyone feel that all this Falcao and Caviani talk is utter nonsense, and we'll end up with Bony (who I wouldn't be displeased with)?

Jackson signed a new 3 year deal at Porto over the weekend and is unproven in a top league compared to the other two.

First of all, contracts don't seem to mean anything these days. Look at Demichelis last summer. Signed a contract to join Atletico in June or July, then joined City in August. Secondly, Falcao was also unproven in a top league until he joined Atletico. Same can be said for Suarez when he left Ajax for us. Martinez is the safest option if we're signing a top centre forward in my opinion, but no, he isn't quite in Falcao's league.

martyos121 wrote: »
    First of all, contracts don't seem to mean anything these days. Look at Demichelis last summer. Signed a contract to join Atletico in June or July, then joined City in August. Secondly, Falcao was also unproven in a top league until he joined Atletico. Same can be said for Suarez when he left Ajax for us. Martinez is the safest option if we're signing a top centre forward in my opinion, but no, he isn't quite in Falcao's league.

Who is?

Falcao is in a league of his own when it comes to being a striker.

The more I think of it, if we can get him on loan then lets go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

daRobot wrote: »
    Maybe I'm sceptical, but does anyone feel that all this Falcao and Caviani talk is utter nonsense, and we'll end up with Bony (who I wouldn't be displeased with)?

It might not be Bony but I don't see a Falcao or Cavani very high profile signing.

As Gbear pointed out going from Sanxhez to Remy to Bony to Cavani doesn't follow a natural pattern.

Are Liverpool going to fork out megabucks for Cavani after missing out on £8.5m Remy.
    All very yo yo type attempted spending

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Hidalgo wrote: »
    It might not be Bony but I don't see a Falcao or Cavani very high profile signing.

As Gbear pointed out going from Sanxhez to Remy to Bony to Cavani doesn't follow a natural pattern.

Are Liverpool going to fork out megabucks for Cavani after missing out on £8.5m Remy.
    All very yo yo type attempted spending

I think we were only in for Remy as he was an upgrade on Borini. Remy didn't come so Borini didn't leave. Cavani/a good player will be Suarez replacement.

That's what I think/hope will happen.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Who is?

Falcao is in a league of his own when it comes to being a striker.

The more I think of it, if we can get him on loan then lets go for it!!

Sorry, I meant Jackson Martinez isn't in Falcao's league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement