Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Hidalgo wrote: »
    It might not be Bony but I don't see a Falcao or Cavani very high profile signing.

As Gbear pointed out going from Sanxhez to Remy to Bony to Cavani doesn't follow a natural pattern.

Are Liverpool going to fork out megabucks for Cavani after missing out on £8.5m Remy.
    All very yo yo type attempted spending

Remy wasn't an alternative to Sanchez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I'm in genuine shock that people are actually discussing Falcao and Cavani as actual possibilities. I try and defend Liverpool fans when others call us deluded but I am beginning to see their point(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I'm in genuine shock that people are actually discussing Falcao and Cavani as actual possibilities. I try and defend Liverpool fans when others call us deluded but I am beginning to see their point(s).

We're only going for them because Messi and Ronaldo are already signed. Just waiting on confirmation bascally.

I think Falcao is a ridiculous link due to his wages. I think Cavani is more likely, he's not as good as City, Chelsea, United, Barca, Real or Bayerns strikeforce so he'd be lower than that which we are. Don't think we could afford his wages.

Would you of thought Sanchez was a possibility?

We are clearly looking to spend big on a player if we find the right one!!

Granted I don't think we will sign either, but it wouldn't surprise me to us splash big signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Liverpool supposed to have enquired about Jovetic

billy2012 wrote: »
    Would you of thought Sanchez was a possibility?

We are clearly looking to spend big on a player if we find the right one!!

Granted I don't think we will sign either, but it wouldn't surprise me to us splash big signing.

Sanchez was definitely a possibility, I wouldn't rate him at the top level of players despite what Arsenal fans want us to believe.

Falcao and Cavani may aswell be Messi and Ronaldo in terms of signing for Liverpool.

Sanchez was definitely a possibility, I wouldn't rate him at the top level of players despite what Arsenal fans want us to believe.

Falcao and Cavani may aswell be Messi and Ronaldo in terms of signing for Liverpool.

I would prob have Sanchez in the top 5 / 6 footballers in the world.

Think he will show just how good he is in the premiership, serious pity we didn't manage to get him as he would of been the perfect signing.

Think he will show just how good he is in the premiership, serious pity we didn't manage to get him as he would of been the perfect signing.

The top 6 in the world? Seriously? Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

And will be in to let us know in 5....4....3...

• Advertisement

The top 6 in the world? Seriously? Wow.

:)

I'm telling ya...Barca ruined him. It broke my heart!!

Sure time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I really think theres a <1% chance of signing Cavani or Falcao. Even if our pursuit was reported by a reliable source I still wouldnt give us much chance of landing them. We missed out on Sigurdsson coz we wouldnt give him the wages be wanted, how on earth are we gonna land Cavani or Falcao when theyre playing for two of th richest clubs in the world in a country where the taxman is very generous to footballers.

Im not complaining btw, just think theres pretty much no chance of it happening. Our transfer policy doesnt have room for that kind of signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Top 5 or 6? Class player but he wouldn't make the top 20 on most peoples lists. Top 5 player are the best of the best, we just sold one.
    Gutted we didn't get him and will prove an excellent signing for arsenal

:)

I'm telling ya...Barca ruined him. It broke my heart!!

Sure time will tell.

I watched him for Udinese and Chile and Barca to a lesser extent. He has never struck me as being in the top 5 players in world football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I would prob have Sanchez in the top 5 / 6 worst footballers in the world.

Think he will show just how bad he is in the premiership, serious fortune we didn't manage to get him as he would of been the worst signing.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Hidalgo wrote: »
    It might not be Bony but I don't see a Falcao or Cavani very high profile signing.

As Gbear pointed out going from Sanxhez to Remy to Bony to Cavani doesn't follow a natural pattern.

Are Liverpool going to fork out megabucks for Cavani after missing out on £8.5m Remy.
    All very yo yo type attempted spending

We only really know for sure that 2 of the 4 players mentioned were seriously considered, Bony and Cavani may have been approached or considered but that's just speculation.
    If we are in for Falcao, even in a loan capacity, our Doc will earn his money examining his knees anyway - I think he has done both of them at one time or another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MR NINE wrote: »
    I really think theres a <1% chance of signing Cavani or Falcao. Even if our pursuit was reported by a reliable source I still wouldnt give us much chance of landing them. We missed out on Sigurdsson coz we wouldnt give him the wages be wanted, how on earth are we gonna land Cavani or Falcao when theyre playing for two of th richest clubs in the world in a country where the taxman is very generous to footballers.

Im not complaining btw, just think theres pretty much no chance of it happening. Our transfer policy doesnt have room for that kind of signing.

I trust you know you are hardly making a valid comparsion - Liverpool of summer 2012 and Liverpool of 2014 are rather different propositions - yes the club would spend enough to land Sigurdsson! :pac: Actually the club wouldn't cos he still wouldn't be worth what he was demanding, that is clearly something that FSG hold dear to their hearts regardless of income. Cavani/Falcao in truth are not worth what they current trouser either. Stupid money.

You're falling into that trap of worrying about the opinion of fans of other teams, they won't thank you for it. And you're also not indulging yourself in the glorious Gossip/Rumours as name-checked in the Thread title. Go on, live a little. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

slingerz wrote: »
    Liverpool supposed to have enquired about Jovetic

Source ? I would love him in a Liverpool jersey.

garra wrote: »
    You're falling into that trap of worrying about the opinion of fans of other teams, they won't thank you for it. And you're also not indulging yourself in the glorious Gossip/Rumours as name-checked in the Thread title. Go on, live a little. :D

I'm all for rumours and transfer talk, when it's realistic.

I don't see Cavani as an unrealistic target though.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

The source is dubious but Jovetic would be realistic, certainly ticks the box of being an out and out striker. I didn't see much of him at Fiorentina - would he fit into the team?
    I imagine City would have to lining up a swoop for another marquee striker if they were letting him go. Would prefer Dzeko myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Fescue wrote: »
    I don't see Cavani as an unrealistic target though.

Wages would be the main obstacle. Must be on serious De Niro with PSG.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

garra wrote: »
    Fair enough.

The source is dubious but Jovetic would be realistic, certainly ticks the box of being an out and out striker. I didn't see much of him at Fiorentina - would he fit into the team?
    I imagine City would have to lining up a swoop for another marquee striker if they were letting him go. Would prefer Dzeko myself.

I wouldn't class him as an out and out striker. He would be a great signing as he can play anywhere in the 3 behind the striker aswell as up front.

K-9 wrote: »

For sure. You would have to hope he is willing to accept less money.

I've never been hugely impressed by him but his goal scoring record is incredible. Works hard and is tactically flexible also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Cavani is great.

Incredibly hard working, can operate wide, scores lots of goals, amazing technically. Would love him here.

He's so elegant. Like Berbatov, only with a good attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

K-9 wrote: »

Seems not to be in the top 10 anyway, which puts him under 175k per week, according to this; http://www.tsmplug.com/football/top-10-highest-earners-football-players-in-the-world/

This one doesn't have him in the top 20; http://www.givemesport.com/420783-top-20-highestpaid-players-in-world-football/page/2

Which means his wages might be affordable, even by just giving him 50% - 60% of what Suarez was due to be on this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Has to be a big fat meh at the thoughts of signing Falcao or Cavani, I'd sign Bony if it was my money being spent.

Seriously I'd be very shocked if we're to land either of the south Americans. Would probably cream myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Would probably cream myself.

Whipped or just plain?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Whipped or just plain?

whatever is close to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I've been against Cavani previously purely on him saying to the media that we should let Suarez leave but that was last summer.

This season and as recently as June he's had this to say:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1957406-luis-suarez-wants-to-stay-at-liverpool-reveals-edinson-cavani

and

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/cavani-no-reason-suarez-leave-liverpool-real-madrid-4027405#.U-P7ZfldVQE

So it looks like Cavani sees Liverpool as a big club. Maybe a transfer is possible?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I want to gauge interest in him independent from the obvious value in his low valuation, because it looks like people mostly wanted him because he was cheap. Let me put it another way: if they were all worth the same (let's say £20m) and injury/medical condition free, who would you take: Remy (27), Bony (25), or Benteke (23)?

lacazette (23)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think it should be an unwritten rule during transfer windows that if you say you dont want x joining you have to put up at least one name who you would prefer instead.

Its easy to say no to random names but its more difficult to put up suggestions open to ridicule by others.

Personally, i have no idea who i want. I just cant help but feel we havent done well if Loic Remy was deemed the chosen one. Given all the time we had ( to provide for all possible contingencies re Suarez departure) Remy is, or would have, been a very disappointing 'result'. I can only think he was replacing Borini in the squad based on what is happening now.

At some point the club will have to bring in a striker/forward who is going to start. Purely because we all know Sturridge wont play in all the 50+ games we hope to be part of next season. And put plainly, Lambert has a ceiling, teams in the lower two thirds of the league.

Just one small point left to add, our 'poor' (by comparison) neighbours just spent 28m on a striker........its food for thought at various levels on what we could or should be capable of spending, given what we lost and what money came from that sale.

I've a DVD of Bad Boys II and a bottle of Sun cream. Call over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

U21s played a Danish U20 side this evening 0-0

The squad

Liverpool U21s team: Lawrence Vigouroux, Ryan McLaughlin, Kevin Stewart, Jordan Williams, Lloyd Jones, Jordan Rossiter, Harry Wilson (Jordan Lussey 45), Joao Carlos Teixeira (Sergi Canos 45), Sheyi Ojo, Cameron Brannagan (Marc Pelosi 75), Krisztian Adorjan (Jerome Sinclair 45).

I swear the club must have the most players of one first name in the land! Marc Pelosi not dead shocker, Adorjan will have to be offloaded at some point. Good to see some of the u18s moved up though whether they will be regulars is another matter.

shudder.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Would probably cream myself.
    Whipped or just plain?

ooh-matron.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Echo running with the Cavani story...

Apoarently his agent has claimed we made an approach

you'd have to class Cavani as a very exciting signing wouldn't you? I know many are saying we haven't a hope in hell , but i think it could be an outside possibility.

Need something to get excited aboug anyway!

Wtf. Step away from the glue.

Wtf. Step away from the glue.

15638_o.gif

Bring some Capri Suns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dunno why, but...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Man this place needs a signing

1368332433183.gif

We just need some together time. Just us guys. And whatever happens this season we'll all be together. For each other.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mod

Less of the pointless random GIFs please people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Mod

Less of the pointless random GIFs please people.

You must not come in to this thread much........

I trust you know you are hardly making a valid comparsion - Liverpool of summer 2012 and Liverpool of 2014 are rather different propositions - yes the club would spend enough to land Sigurdsson! :pac: Actually the club wouldn't cos he still wouldn't be worth what he was demanding, that is clearly something that FSG hold dear to their hearts regardless of income. Cavani/Falcao in truth are not worth what they current trouser either. Stupid money.
    daithijjj wrote: »
    I think it should be an unwritten rule during transfer windows that if you say you dont want x joining you have to put up at least one name who you would prefer instead.

Its easy to say no to random names but its more difficult to put up suggestions open to .

I like this idea

I think Markovic is seen as Suarez replacement. Im sure a striker will be added as well, but if Remy had been signed I dont think he would have been Suarez replacement, if its anyone its markovic.

• Advertisement

My point is that liverpool under fsg and rodgers dont like handing out unreasonable salaries. They seem to have a pretty strict policy on what theyre willing to offer, and only pay what they deem good value. I doubt theyll be willing to pay Cavani or Falcao sized wages

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

gafferino wrote: »
    You must not come in to this thread much........

Some are fine when the work as part of the conversation, like the ones above. There was a few others in a row without any text or context that have been removed.

Really, really gonna try not to build any sort of hope of bringing in Cavani....but if we did...

It would probably be amongst the very highest profile players ever to join liverpool. Players have grown into that higher level with us, but few have arrived at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Look at what i found in Fota Wildlife Park Cork :D

th_457782903_redpanda_122_206lo.jpg

Stargate wrote: »
    Look at what i found in Fota Wildlife Park Cork :D

th_457782903_redpanda_122_206lo.jpg

Noticed this bizarre story on Twitter earlier about a basketball player changing his name to PandaFriend.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/08/how-to-be-a-panda-friend
    /375731/

Metta World Peace, formerly known as Ron Artest, is off to play for the Chinese Basketball Association. He will be a member of the Sichuan Blue Whales for the next year, as the highest-paid foreign player to join the league, and he wanted to mark the season with his favorite thing: a ridiculous name change.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement