Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I felt very uneasy after the City game because of that red card. I'll never forgive Moses for giving the ball away first off.

Yeah, there was quite the sinking feeling at the thought of relying on Lucas and Allen (though he did give it his all) against Chelsea and Palace even amongst the elation of the City result. Some fans (while rival fans were trollingly "conceding" that the Pool were going to win the league just so they could bang on about a "collapse") and indeed, players, were celebrating a title victory far too early after that game given what was to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Sturridge is fully fit and will play v Dortmund. Stop being dramatic :rolleyes:
    I would have no problem facing Southapton with just two strikers if it means the extra time afforded to Ayre means we get the best striker we can as opposed to the next Andy Carroll to keep fickle supporters happy.

If thats dramatic then Id hate to see what you are like in an actual dramatic situation.

I am not even sure you read the post properly. Where did I say we should panic buy? In fact I actually said the opposite, Im disappointed they hadnt something in the works months ago.

As good as Sturridge is, the man is injury prone. We cannot expect to rely on him to stay fit.

And yes I am well aware the window hasnt shut. This is hypothetical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

How exactly is it ridiculous ? Is every club not in the exact same situation every window? Outside of huge marquee signings which take months and perhaps years to nail down ?

We have signed 8 players and counting, we will sign more. If we pulled out of the Remy deal maybe it was because of Martinez new contract which slashed his buyout clause? Maybe it was because Cavani/Benzema/Falcao/Insert any name here became available and we reacted?

Everyone would love to have all deals done and dusted second day of the window and have everyone do our full pre season. This is the real world though so thats never going to happen. We have done very well so far and if we sign a quality striker (along with Moreno which im counting as done) then its been a very good window for the club. If we sign a marquee name then I would argue its been an exceptional window

It's ridiculous because the later we leave it - the league kicks off next weekend - the easier it is to miss out on players. We have previous in this. Sure we've done well this transfer window in terms of getting bodies in but we have not replaced a 31 goal striker. The longer we leave that, the more difficult it will get. There are 9 points to be played for before August 31st. Shur we'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reading this thread over the last two days or so all I can think is..

We could have been contenders. If only we bought A,B,C or D.

The transfer window isn't closed yet. The time to worry will be September 1st.

Its August the 8th, not August 31st.

First match August 17th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

mosstin wrote: »
    First match August 17th.

He's talking about the window

Right, so we ignore the 9 points on offer before it shuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Reading this thread over the last two days or so all I can think is..

We could have been contenders. If only we bought A,B,C or D.

The transfer window isn't closed yet. The time to worry will be September 1st.

Yep, we do have time to add to what we have already brought in. Would have been nice to have had a couple more players in by now, but had it not been for a few outside issues we could have been looking at what we have already signed along with Remy and Sanchez at this point. Missing out on targets happens, so no point dwelling on those we missed. Am more interested in whoever the club is now looking at.

As a related aside and your choice of vid was well timed. On The Waterfront was released on region B blu ray today. Picked it up this morning along with the new Gaslight Anthem album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First match August 17th.

Obviously I am, I'd rather the right player/s were bought on the last day than sign the wrong ones tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Right, so we ignore the 9 points on offer before it shuts?

Ah were guaranteed at least 3 points since we've bought most of Southamptons team already. Will they be able to field 11 players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

garra wrote: »
    Fair enough.

The source is dubious but Jovetic would be realistic, certainly ticks the box of being an out and out striker. I didn't see much of him at Fiorentina - would he fit into the team?
    I imagine City would have to lining up a swoop for another marquee striker if they were letting him go. Would prefer Dzeko myself.

Jovetic is not an out and out striker in the Sturridge sense, or the giroud sense or RVP mould. He's more like a behind the front man striker, a Bergkamp,type.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Ah were guaranteed at least 3 points since we've bought most of Southamptons team already. Will they be able to field 11 players?

They're sorted. Getting a few in on loan from Blackpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

First match August 17th.

Yep, so 9 days to sign someone. Although for the opening game, we should have more than enough. So that gives us another week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

brevity wrote: »
    So Guardian are doing season previews for each team and Liverpool are up...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/08/premier-league-2014-15-preview-liverpool

A decent assessment of the team. I also think we are probably heading for a fifth place finish at present.

I really hate this attitude though:

"Clearly, they considered the loaded question of how to replace an incredible individual talent like Suárez and reached the obvious conclusion; you cannot."

We will not be able to replace Suarez with a like for like player - he's simply too good. That much is true. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't even try replace him at all. We might not be able to buy the Suarez of 13/14, but maybe we could buy the Suarez of 2010/2011 or the Torres of 2007/2008? The strikers we have been genuinely linked with have been really underwhelming and we will struggle for top four unless we get a top player in to replace Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tusky wrote: »

We will not be able to replace Suarez with a like for like player - he's simply too good. That much is true. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't even try replace him. We might not be able to buy the Suarez of 13/14, but maybe we could buy the Suarez of 2010/2011 or the Torres of 2007/2008? The strikers we have been linked with have been really underwhelming and we will struggle for top four unless we get a top player in to replace Suarez.

The only strikers that we KNOW Liverpool have approached (apart from Remi obviously) are Cavani and Falcao, the rest are just paper talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

for what it's worth, Cavani would be an ideal signing.

the lad is made for the Premier League.

if at all possible, we should get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The strikers we've genuinely been linked with? Like Sanchez, Cavani and Falcao?!? Who do you want us linked with?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We been linked to underwhelming strikers :confused:. Its confirmed we tried to get Cavani,Falcao & Sanchez. I think Remy was being bought to replace Borini. The club is obviously trying hard to get a top class striker.

I don't believe we will get Cavani or Falcao, I was moreso referring to Remy and Bony. The season starts in nine days and we haven't put a bid in for anyone of quality in that position apart from Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I actually have been thinking about Cavani being the perfect signing for weeks, only it seemed daft so I never mentioned it.

Especially after his comments last summer encouraging Suarez to leave.

• Advertisement

We might not be able to buy the Suarez of 13/14, but maybe we could buy the Suarez of 2010/2011 or the Torres of 2007/2008? The strikers we have been genuinely linked with have been really underwhelming and we will struggle for top four unless we get a top player in to replace Suarez.

I think we are trying that with Origi and Markovic, trying to get players JUST before they turn the corner to greatness. Here's hoping anyway.

But of course, we need to replace the goals now. Let's hope we can do it...

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think we are trying that with Origi and Markovic, trying to get players JUST before they turn the corner to greatness. Here's hoping anyway.

But of course, we need to replace the goals now. Let's hope we can do it...

The Suarez of 2010/2011 or the Torres of 2007/2008 were about four seasons ahead of Oirigi and Markovic in their development. They were already great players who had the potential to push on a level. Oirigi and Markovic (who I think are both good signings) are still mostly potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

I don't believe we will get Cavani or Falcao, I was moreso referring to Remy and Bony. The season starts in nine days and we haven't put a bid in for anyone of quality in that position apart from Sanchez.

We havent a clue who the club have made bids for. Some stuff gets leaked most doesnt. Why the negativity ? We have made an enquiry about Cavani according the players agent and have NOT made one for Bony according to the players manager so not sure whats going on with people on this thread?

If it takes till August 31st at 11.59 for us to sign a marquee player vs going out now and buying one of the endless second tier players we have been linked to are you suggesting we dont wait?

Yep, so 9 days to sign someone. Although for the opening game, we should have more than enough. So that gives us another week!

Suarez was sold how long ago? With the season about to start and with Spurs and City up in the first 3 matches, you don't think we would have been better served to have a replacement in and ready? That's all I'm saying.

I know it's off topic slightly but Celtic reinstated to the CL. Someone at Legia Warsaw is in trouble this morning..

Suarez was sold how long ago? With the season about to start and with Spurs and City up in the first 3 matches, you don't think we would have been better served to have a replacement in and ready? That's all I'm saying.

I hate to see the amount of toys flying around your room if you were a united or spurs fan. Have you seen how underwhelming their transfer window has been so far and you could argue their squads need as much if not more work than ours.

At this stage if we dont get a big name signing to play up front id imagine this thread along with many other forums will go nuclear. Even I am getting swept away with the "Cavani/falcao" rumours even though 10 days ago I would have been happy with Remy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

It's such an unlikely scenario, but if there's anything we can do to get Cavani to Liverpool we should do it. Throw all of Suarez's wages at him and a big transfer fee at PSG. He would be ideal!

And the window is 2 months long for a reason. Every selling club wants to find a replacement before selling. In our situation, we agreed to sell him, largely cause we had no choice realistically. So now when we bid for players, we have to wait for the chain to complete. As with us selling Borini, a good chance it is being held up because we want a player in first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cavani cost PSG £55m last summer, are they going to sell him at a loss to us or are we going to offer £60m for him, seems unlikely either scenario. I just think the fee would be too much for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Like clockwork, the Kalou rumours. Every single window since he left, his agent links him with a move to the big English clubs and newspapers lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Of course in an ideal world you would want all of your players signed before the start of preseason, but that is rarely the case even for the European superpowers - look at Real with Bale last year!

Sometimes all you need is one big player bought which has a knock on affect for a number of other deals to go through! My thinking was that the Jameis deal to Real would lead to Di Maria to PSG which would lead to one of their big players (Cavani or Lavezzi) to move on! If Madrid do also sign Falco then that might lead to them offloading Isco and/or Di Mario which will have a further trickle down affect!

Transfer deals are probably much more complicated than any of us can imagine, especially now for us with the fact that most teams know we have the Suarez money and are probably trying to milk every last penny out for their own players! And FSG appear to be determined to not pay over their valuation for any players!

punk_one82 wrote: »
    It's such an unlikely scenario, but if there's anything we can do to get Cavani to Liverpool we should do it. Throw all of Suarez's wages at him and a big transfer fee at PSG. He would be ideal!

And people forget that - Suarez was on huge money, as was Pepe, as is Agger, Lucas, Johnson? And Stevie is signing a new deal which will probably be on less money!

We have money to spend AND money for wages. More of a question of whether he would join us and move to the NW of England...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Talking out the window?

Harry%20Redknapp%20arriving%20at%20the%20clubs%20training%20ground%20this%20morning

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Like clockwork, the Kalou rumours. Every single window since he left, his agent links him with a move to the big English clubs and newspapers lap it up.

There is a Pool fan on Twitter that starts a Kalou rumour every window, it's a running joke now. The crappy papers ALWAYS pick it up...

rob316 wrote: »
    Cavani cost PSG £55m last summer, are they going to sell him at a loss to us or are we going to offer £60m for him, seems unlikely either scenario. I just think the fee would be too much for him.

It's probably unlikely we'll even be in for him tbf.

You said yesterday he is massively overrated which I found headscratching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

People really need to stop playing Football Manager! Do people on here seriously believe that transfers are as easy as:

Liverpool: We will have Cavani for 20m please
    PSG: No bother, anything else we can help you with?
    Liverpool: Throw in that lad Thiago Silva for another 20m, he looks decent.

Just because a player hasn't been bought doesnt mean the club haven't tried. It's actually not in the SELLING clubs interest to do deals too early, the closer to the deadline the more they are likely to get for their player as buyers begin to panic.

The level of panic on here isn't healthy, thats for sure!

I hate to see the amount of toys flying around your room if you were a united or spurs fan. Have you seen how underwhelming their transfer window has been so far and you could argue their squads need as much if not more work than ours.

At this stage if we dont get a big name signing to play up front id imagine this thread along with many other forums will go nuclear. Even I am getting swept away with the "Cavani/falcao" rumours even though 10 days ago I would have been happy with Remy

Dude, I don't know where you're inferring panic from my posts. I couldn't give a shít who United or Spurs have recruited. There is a 31 goal striker sized hole in our strike force. It is not unreasonable to want to have such a pivotal role in the team filled sooner rather than later.

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Of course in an ideal world you would want all of your players signed before the start of preseason, but that is rarely the case even for the European superpowers - look at Real with Bale last year!

Sometimes all you need is one big player bought which has a knock on affect for a number of other deals to go through! My thinking was that the Jameis deal to Real would lead to Di Maria to PSG which would lead to one of their big players (Cavani or Lavezzi) to move on! If Madrid do also sign Falco then that might lead to them offloading Isco and/or Di Mario which will have a further trickle down affect!

Transfer deals are probably much more complicated than any of us can imagine, especially now for us with the fact that most teams know we have the Suarez money and are probably trying to milk every last penny out for their own players! And FSG appear to be determined to not pay over their valuation for any players!

They're probably not helping matters then by letting the clock tick down. Players won't be cheaper on August 31st.

Dude, I don't know where you're inferring panic from my posts. I couldn't give a shít who United or Spurs have recruited. There is a 31 goal striker sized hole in our strike force. It is not unreasonable to want to have such a pivotal role in the team filled sooner rather than later.

It isn't going to be filled by one player (unless we sign Messi or Ronaldo). It's going to be filled by getting more goals from midfield and conceding less at the back.

There are NO replacements for Suarez out there (bar the two I mentioned). There are a few who will improve the team we have (Falcao, Cavani) but none that will replace Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What about a loan move for Cavani? I'd say we could secure one for a loan fee of about £8-11m, with an option to buy. Then, next summer we decide between him, or activating the release clause of Marco Reus. Assuming all parties are interested, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

There is a Pool fan on Twitter that starts a Kalou rumour every window, it's a running joke now. The crappy papers ALWAYS pick it up...

It's not just Liverpool though, he gets linked with moves to Arsenal a fair bit as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sappy404 wrote: »

Hey stay away from Kalou he's our "constantly linked" player rumour :D

Benimar wrote: »
    People really need to stop playing Football Manager! Do people on here seriously believe that transfers are as easy as:

Liverpool: We will have Cavani for 20m please
    PSG: No bother, anything else we can help you with?
    Liverpool: Throw in that lad Thiago Silva for another 20m, he looks decent.

Just because a player hasn't been bought doesnt mean the club haven't tried. It's actually not in the SELLING clubs interest to do deals too early, the closer to the deadline the more they are likely to get for their player as buyers begin to panic.

The level of panic on here isn't healthy, thats for sure!

I don't think anyone is panicking yet.

However we play City and Spurs away before the window closes. Surely it's not unreasonable to hope the club gets players in before these vital games, and they are vital.

Benimar wrote: »
    It isn't going to be filled by one player (unless we sign Messi or Ronaldo). It's going to be filled by getting more goals from midfield and conceding less at the back.

There are NO replacements for Suarez out there (bar the two I mentioned). There are a few who will improve the team we have (Falcao, Cavani) but none that will replace Suarez.

Chelsea suffered at the end of the season last year because they didn't have someone who could be relied upon to score in the crucial matches. We need a striker more than we need a player in any other position.

rarnes1 wrote: »

However we play City and Spurs away before the window closes. Surely it's not unreasonable to hope the club gets players in before these vital games, and they are vital.

I agree, I also hope the club signs someone before the start of the season. However, I can understand if it doesn't happen by then and I think concerns about not having deals done already (not made by you btw) display a level of panic.

Transfers are far more complicated than some on here would have us believe, hence my example in my original post.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Haha you should read back through some of the posts the last few days
    Ill sumarise some of it for you
    We will finish 5th, BR job is under pressure, we should spend all the money we have before we play Southampton as a team that should have won the league cannot beat a club with 10 senior players without a superstar striker, we have been linked with no good players only B rate ones etc etc etc etc

Its never dull here thats for sure.

ba18be7b4ac68a62e616eb6e6988bbdf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lucky Arsenal - they drew Besiktas in their CL play off.

Chelsea suffered at the end of the season last year because they didn't have someone who could be relied upon to score in the crucial matches. We need a striker more than we need a player in any other position.

We have Sturridge, which is one more striker than Chelsea had! Sturridge was the second top scorer in the league last season, so I'd say he can be relied upon to score.

I'd argue that Lambert is more reliable than the 'strikers' Chelsea had last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

When city won the league 3 seasons ago the general consensus was that United needed to improve their defence/midfield! They went out and signed Van Persie and won the league the following season at a canter!

Liverpool definitely need an elite striker just to frighten the ****e out of opposition defenders as much as Suarez did last year! Oh and score loads of goals too!

Lucky Arsenal - they drew Besiktas in their CL play off.

Should be dispatched.

One of these years there'll be a shock though.

Ba now plays for Besiktas as a matter of interest

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement