Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Benimar wrote: »
    Do you seriously think that Liverpool will play with two strikers this season on a regular basis??

We have a striker in Daniel Sturridge who will be our main striker, supported by two from wide positions.

If we sign Reus will you be happy...bearing in mind hes a midfielder??

And for the second time today..Suarez cannot be replaced directly.

Even if that is true, we will need a reliable back up or someone who's pushing to start each week and so keep Sturridge on his toes. You mentioned Reus, not me. We need someone in. You have your head stuck in the sand if you deny this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mosstin wrote: »
    Even if that is true, we will need a reliable back up or someone who's pushing to start each week and so keep Sturridge on his toes. You mentioned Reus, not me. We need someone in. You have your head stuck in the sand if you deny this.

Literally NO ONE is saying we don't need a striker. It's only a discussion of when and who...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Now who's being dramatic? Doomed? Ridiculous. Wanting a striker in situ to replace - in some way - a 31 goal striker for the first game of the season is entirely rational. Every point counts. We lost the league by 2 last year.

Why is it that urgent ..sure our previous 31 goal striker wasn't available for the first game last season ;) :P

...he wasn't even training with the first team at this stage last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Has the talk of Lavezzi/Cavani stopped already? Sounded like it was going to happen for a while.

Wouldn't be too big a fan of either anyway, especially Lavezzi who's 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Kirby wrote: »
    Are you high? Reus is as much a midfielder as Robben, Ribery, Ronaldo or Bale. In that none of them are. Would you class Sterling as a midfielder? The days of 4-4-2 are gone. Widemen like that are out and out attackers.

So if Sturridge misses 6 weeks injured Reus could fill in? Play with his back to goal? Reus is an attacking midfielder. He is not a centre forward.

Oh, and Sterling is a midfielder. Look at the work he does helping out defensively. He's great going forward but he is still a midfielder. He can, and will play as a wide forward at times but he's not a centre forward. Of the players you listed only Ronaldo can and has played centre forward.

It's someone to fill in for Sturridge that's needed, we have attacking midfielders in abundance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Please show me where I have denied this. If you can't, and I know you can't, please stop making up stuff I supposedly said.

We need backup for Sturridge, that's not in doubt. We don't HAVE to have it by now or next week. We do by 1 September but that's still 3 weeks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

viper006 wrote: »
    If it is true id feel very sorry for BR. Having to lose Suarez this window as he was building something very special on top of Lallana and potential long lay off for marovic would be a cruel and very worrying blow.

I remember someone posted sometihing last week jokingly predicting marovic would be like aquilani. I really hope its just all twitter bull. We a very short on quality attackers at the minute.

Feels abit like Spurs signing Lamela last year. He's obviously got quality but was injured for alot of last season. I think he'll do really well this year going on their pre-season.

Hopefully, Markovic's injury isn't too serious. Wenger generally likes to give new players lots of time to settle in. So maybe he can use this time to get himself set up in Liverpool etc. We'll definitely need one or both of Markovic / Lallana back soon though. Otherwise, we should certainly consider holding on to Borini until we've signed more players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Feels abit like Spurs signing Lamela last year. He's obviously got quality but was injured for alot of last season. I think he'll do really well this year going on their pre-season.

Hopefully, Markovic's injury isn't too serious. Wenger generally likes to give new players lots of time to settle in. So maybe he can use this time to get himself set up in Liverpool etc. We'll definitely need one or both of Markovic / Lallana back soon though. Otherwise, we should certainly consider holding on to Borini until we've signed more players.

huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Fescue wrote: »
    This thread used to be a lot more fun. Pandas, saps and all that. Never understood any of it but it made me laugh.

Lately its just one big cluster****. People panicking about one thing or another. What does it achieve?

Why not let the rest of the window play out and see where we stand.

This time last year it was way waaaay worse when the boo boys where in full swing.

We had a breakdown because we failed to sign a relatively unkown player from Ukraine. The manager had a target painted on his back and the owners were being marched down the plank for a dip in a shark pool.

We're better off, improving on and off the pitch.

Strangely this annoys some people.

Benimar wrote: »
    Please show me where I have denied this. If you can't, and I know you can't, please stop making up stuff I supposedly said.

We need backup for Sturridge, that's not in doubt. We don't HAVE to have it by now or next week. We do by 1 September but that's still 3 weeks away.

IF was the key word there in the post you replied to. 3 weeks, 3 games and 9 points away. I don't just want a backup for Sturridge but someone who's good enough to push him for a starting place every week.

• Advertisement

Why is it that urgent ..sure our previous 31 goal striker wasn't available for the first game last season ;) :P

...he wasn't even training with the first team at this stage last season

He was in the squad last year. This year he isn't.

I am pie wrote: »
    This time last year it was way waaaay worse when the boo boys where in full swing.

We had a breakdown because we failed to sign a relatively unkown player from Ukraine. The manager had a target painted on his back and the owners were being marched down the plank for a dip in a shark pool.

We're better off, improving on and off the pitch.

Strangely this annoys some people.

Everything annoys some people!
    We are in good shape, just Moreno and a good striker and we will be in very good shape. August is always a testing month!

If, by some glorious miracle, we sign Cavani, people will soon change there minds. I wouldn't base too much on watching him in a Uruguay side who had very little in midfield.

For Napoli, 2010 to 2013 - 104 goals in 138 games.
    For PSG (in a team absolutely loaded with attacking options) - 25 goals in 43 games.

His career record is better than a goal every 2 games.

If takes some lack of perspective alright to construe that as "average" or "not great"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

IF was the key word there in the post you replied to. 3 weeks, 3 games and 9 points away. I don't just want a backup for Sturridge but someone who's good enough to push him for a starting place every week.

For the love of Fowler.

Who? Who would you sign? Ronaldo maybe? Messi? A cheeky bid for Lewandowski?

For the love of Fowler.

Who? Who would you sign? Ronaldo maybe? Messi? A cheeky bid for Lewandowski?

It's up to me to come up with a list is it? You have someone in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Fescue wrote: »
    This thread used to be a lot more fun. Pandas, saps and all that. Never understood any of it but it made me laugh.

Lately its just one big cluster****. People panicking about one thing or another. What does it achieve?

Why not let the rest of the window play out and see where we stand.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/john-henry-s-open-letter-to-fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

If, by some glorious miracle, we sign Cavani, people will soon change there minds. I wouldn't base too much on watching him in a Uruguay side who had very little in midfield.

For Napoli, 2010 to 2013 - 104 goals in 138 games.
    For PSG (in a team absolutely loaded with attacking options) - 25 goals in 43 games.

His career record is better than a goal every 2 games.

If takes some lack of perspective alright to construe that as "average" or "not great"

i really like Cavani but they are two fairly average leagues. a lot of the strikers in both leagues havent transitioned well to the premier league.

i really like Cavani but they are two fairly average leagues. a lot of the strikers in both leagues havent transitioned well to the premier league.

Ah, the old Alfonso Alves rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Where are the Cavani rumours actually coming from?

I'm just finding it hard to see how we'd get him. Looks like he's doing fine at PSG who signed him only a year ago.

I can't see Liverpool bidding £60 million for him and I also can't see PSG letting him go on loan.

So what is the rumour? :p

• Advertisement

i really like Cavani but they are two fairly average leagues. a lot of the strikers in both leagues transitioned well to the premier league.

I don't think the Italian & French leagues are that average to be honest, the French league is behind the Premiership but the Italian league is still producing very competitive sides. I think 4 years performing at a very high level is solid enough criteria to judge a player.

Ah, the old Alfonso Alves rule.

im not invoking that comparison
    I don't think the Italian & French leagues are that average to be honest, the French league is behind the Premiership but the Italian league is still producing very competitive sides. I think 4 years performing at a very high level is solid enough criteria to judge a player.

i'm just saying you cant take goals scored in one or two other european leagues and say a player is quality because of that.

it works the other way too in his 5 season in La Liga Nando only scored 13, 19, 16, 14, 13 goals comes to Liverpool and bangs in 24. Had about 1 goal in every 3 games with Ateti and 1 in every 2 with us.

I think Cavani is a quality player because I've seen what he brings to teams not just his goals scored.

Serie A is a (slightly) lower scoring league though, the lowest of the big 4.

He got 29 in 12/13, 6 ahead of the next (Di Natale)
    He got 23 in 11/12, 5 behind Zlatan.
    He got 26 in 10/11, 2 behind Di Natale.

It is almost inconceivable to imagine that he wouldn't score a lot in the EPL. Think of all those average defenders! He wouldn't be involved in everything like Luis was, but he WOULD score goals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dickerty wrote: »
    Literally NO ONE is saying we don't need a striker. It's only a discussion of when and who...
    Hold on, I am not saying that. I think we look good in the strikers department. Thought Adorjan looked very promising upfront in pre-season and will shock everyone. ;)

tok9 wrote: »

I'm just finding it hard to see how we'd get him. Looks like he's doing fine at PSG who signed him only a year ago.

I can't see Liverpool bidding £60 million for him and I also can't see PSG letting him go on loan.

His agent is stirring the pot, seems to have been a long summer of speculation around Cavani. I wouldn't be surprised to see some other teams get involved.

Hesaid some fairly flattering things about England (maybe even Liverpool) in the summer.

More than all that, I imagine the rumour machine is based on some very rudimentary logic.

Uruguayan out = Uruguayan in !

it works the other way too in his 5 season in La Liga Nando only scored 13, 19, 16, 14, 13 goals comes to Liverpool and bangs in 24. Had about 1 goal in every 3 games with Ateti and 1 in every 2 with us.

But he playing in front of an inferior midfield at Atleti, and was a much younger player than Cavani is now...

• Advertisement

His agent is stirring the pot, seems to have been a long summer of speculation around Cavani. I wouldn't be surprised to see some other teams get involved.

Hesaid some fairly flattering things about England (maybe even Liverpool) in the summer.

More than all that, I imagine the rumour machine is based on some very rudimentary logic.

Uruguayan out = Uruguayan in !

We have money.
    He LIKE money.
    We need striker.
    He IS striker!

Ispo Facto...

We have money.
    He LIKE money.
    We need striker.
    He IS striker!

Ispo Facto...

...we sign

emile_heskey_liver_1201814c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

How about re-signing Milan Baros? Currently without a club ;) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Found a striker.

TedStryker.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Barca agree a fee for vermallen.

Assuming that means agger is going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Vicxas wrote: »

Did he want to leave as he thought Barca were calling or leave full stop ?

I'd far rather keep Agger than Toure that's for sure

Probably send him on loan to Rafopoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Atleti signed jesus gamez who is a rb so they are probably not planning on recalling manquillo.

Brad Smith on loan to Swindon, Coady signs for Huddersfield, and Rafa Paez on loan to Bologna with an option to buy for €3M! (he was a free 12 months ago). Things are picking up since they for back to England...
    I'd be shocked if a Serie B team had €3M to spend on a player.

I'd be shocked if a Serie B team had €3M to spend on a player.

And if he gets them promoted? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

klose wrote: »
    Atleti signed jesus gamez who is a rb so they are probably not planning on recalling manquillo.

Well it's a 2yr loan deal so I would have expected them to get someone in

Unless of course you meant recalling him before the loan spell ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

tok9 wrote: »

I think the logic is that PSG have to recoup some money in order to meet UEFA's FFP rules. PSG want Di Maria from Madrid and must offload a player to offset the costs - There have been consistent rumours of Cavani and Lavezzi leaving PSG since January. Destinations include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Barcelona, Roma, Juventus and now Liverpool.

If the club were to sign a striker from PSG, I think the most likely option is Jean-Christophe Bahebeck. He's 21, can play on the left wing and is not too dissimilar to Sturridge in the way he plays. His opportunities to play at PSG are restricted by the presence of Ibrahimovic, Pastore, Cavani, Lavezzi and Moura.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I for one was never thrilled about the whole panda saps jinx bull**** that took off last year. Though perhaps that's coz I didn't understand any of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Actually on that subject.

How close would we be to the FFP now with all the new guys coming in and not much going out yet?

How close would we be to the FFP now with all the new guys coming in and not much going out yet?

Considering 1 of those going out is 75m, I wouldnt say too close to FFP to be honest.

Considering how much extra revenue was brought in also and the wages that have been taken off the books in Suarez and Reina alone (300k pw) we should be doing alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I know this guy had some issues but if he were available/getable I'd put in a bid for Tevez.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I know this guy had some issues but if he were available/getable I'd put in a bid for Tevez.

well he did love the north of England so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I take full responsibility for the Panda saps.. I put up 1 picture of a happy panda because the season before I threw up the odd picture of a sad panda.

For some reason the saps came in and pandamonium broke loose :p

well he did love the north of England so much :)
    Tevez will never set foot in England again I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Absolutely, tevez would be a great signing. Could hold the fort for a year or two while markovic finds his feet. It seems unlikely but far more plausible than cavani/falcao/reus.

Who's anyones best guess at our signing? If there was a book on it Whod be the favourite. There's been no heavy links to anyone just yet, id probably have bony as the favourite but I don't think it's too likely. It's pretty hard to predict who it will be at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Farewell pepe, officially a bayern player now.

317633.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Not a chance - we could do without another circus act for a while so those at the club can focus their energy on the efforts of the team on the pitch rather than having to deal with the drama a head case would introduce to the club.

• Advertisement

I would almost certainly think we're going to be in the black. With the extra money for CL football coming in, with income from transfers out at over £100M (Suarez £75M, Borini £14M, Reina £2M, Coady £0.5M and the prospect of a few more million for the likes of Assaidi) - I can't see us upsetting FFP rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement