Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A lot of people seem to forget how unlucky Alan was with injury during his time here so far.
    He may not be a first team starter at the moment but given time he will push on and improve and challange for a starting place.
    I like him as he does a lot of the dirty work that can go unnoticed but he always gives 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So, anyone else watch Cavani play tonight? I thought he was utterly useless, and I wish that's the first time I've said that. He has the consistency of a blind darts player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Around this time last year, I wrote a letter to say goodbye to Liverpool and the fans after I joined Napoli. Some people asked why I was doing it when I was only going on loan for a season and would be back within twelve months but the reality was that it was already clear to me that my time at Anfield was over. Liverpool had signed Simon Mignolet to be their new number one and I was being allowed to go out on loan so I wanted to take the opportunity to offer my thanks and bid farewell because I knew that I would not be back.
    I suppose this is a bit of an update now that my departure has been confirmed and I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone at Liverpool – and I mean everyone – for everything that they have done for me over years. Last time, some of my words were misinterpreted and taken out of the context in which they were meant but it would never be my intention to leave Liverpool on anything but good terms so hopefully this will put that right once and for all.
    I have been extremely fortunate to spend so many years at what I consider to be one of the greatest clubs in world football. It has been an honour and a privilege. The memories I have of Anfield, my team mates, the supporters and the people of Liverpool will stay with me forever. I am disappointed that I am leaving but only in the sense that I enjoyed being at the club so much and it is always difficult to say goodbye to something that is special to you. I will always be grateful to have played for Liverpool and my time at the club was always going to come to an end so we move on with no hard feelings.
    All I can do now is look forward to a new adventure at Bayern Munich and being reunited with Pep Guardiola, who was my first captain at Barcelona. Hopefully I will enjoy being with them as much as I enjoyed being with Liverpool and again, I am fortunate to be going from one great club to another. I will return to at Anfield some time soon, though, only next time it will be as a fan rather than a player and I hope that when I do come back Liverpool will be challenging for the biggest trophies like they always should.
    The final thing for me to do is to express my gratitude to everyone who has supported me in any way since I joined Liverpool in 2005 – all of the managers who I have played under, all of the players who I shared a dressing room with, all of the staff who helped me in so many ways and every single one of the fans who gave the team and myself the kind of backing that others can only dream of. I count myself as a Liverpudlian and I will be one for life.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,

Pepe

Ahh Pepe :(
    Definitely the best goalkeeper I can remember at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ha, pfft, same difference :p

(sorry, minor brain fart earlier - was multitasking while typing.)

I thought you were playing on the Sakho/Cissokho joke by deliberately mixing up the two clubs !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Fescue wrote: »
    I don't agree Allen has been a flop. He has had some excellent games for us and continues to improve.

doesn't do enough if you ask me, gets knocked off the ball, loses possession and isn't strong enough to play in the center of midfield, i'd like to see him do well but sadly I think he'll be sold for a loss next season without much of a legacy at Liverpool

mada999 wrote: »
    doesn't do enough if you ask me, gets knocked off the ball, loses possession and isn't strong enough to play in the center of midfield, i'd like to see him do well but sadly I think he'll be sold for a loss next season without much of a legacy at Liverpool

Can you remember him more than holding his own against Fellaini and his elbows in his first season at the club? He will be very important in our CL games this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

emmetkenny wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to forget how unlucky Alan was with injury during his time here so far.
    He may not be a first team starter at the moment but given time he will push on and improve and challange for a starting place.
    I like him as he does a lot of the dirty work that can go unnoticed but he always gives 100%

Agree, really think there's a big season in Mr. Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Can you remember him more than holding his own against Fellaini and his elbows in his first season at the club? He will be very important in our CL games this season.
    He did a good job on Yaya toure that season too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably is a make or break season for him, hope he proves himself like Henderson did, last season was similar for him. If he hadn't improved I'd say we may have been looking to sell.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

yup I can but he never pushed on really, a few good games out of 50 odd games is not great is it for £15m though ? I hope he does do it for us in the champions league, I really do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

I know there is a lot of discussion on we have to by a striker before deadline day "Jim white time " shudder. But who do you guys think should start up front against Southampton. Sturridge on his own or partnered with lambert/sterling

yup I can but he never pushed on really, a few good games out of 50 odd games is not great is it for £15m though ? I hope he does do it for us in the champions league, I really do

I have no fear of Allen not performing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

djPSB wrote: »
    Agree, really think there's a big season in Mr. Alan.

Ha I only got that now.

Apologies to any posters who may be confused but my post refers to Alan the boardsie and not Alan the soccer player.

As you were :D

p38 wrote: »
    I know there is a lot of discussion on we have to by a striker before deadline day "Jim white time " shudder. But who do you guys think should start up front against Southampton. Sturridge on his own or partnered with lambert/sterling

Sturridge up front with Sterling and Coutinho behind. Gerrard, Henderson and Can in midfield.

ICC final replay on Sky sports 1....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »
    More links to lavezzi tonight. Id prefer bony

Given the pictures on twitter I'll assume he's following @anfieldcat :pac:

To be serious, the only link is from that Metro rag so I'd read nothing into it.

Moreno story David Maddox in Mirror

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/alberto-moreno-complete-liverpool-transfer-4026743#.U-VDw90PgZw.twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

p38 wrote: »

Sturridge on his own up front, sterling, couthino, Henderson supporting, Gerard in dm, Enrique , Sakho, Skrtle, (anyone but Johnson) across the back!!

martyos121 wrote: »
    So, anyone else watch Cavani play tonight? I thought he was utterly useless, and I wish that's the first time I've said that. He has the consistency of a blind darts player.

Yeah he has consistently banged in an incredible amount of goals each season.

130 goals in his last 180 club games. Nothing player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

martyos121 wrote: »

Missed a sitter in injury time to win the game for PSG (and ruined my coupon in the process), would expect more composure for a player so highly valued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd like to see Can starting as well and it really has to Sturridge, Coutino and Sterling. The move away from titi taca this year probably didn't help Allen, he's more used to that, but I think he did fine when used.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ha I only got that now.

Apologies to any posters who may be confused but my post refers to Alan the boardsie and not Alan the soccer player.

I'm even more confused now. :confused:

Rarely loses possession. Rarely gets knocked off the ball and is stronger than he looks.

Are you sure it's Allen you've been watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LFC team in training today: Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Johnson, Gerrard, Can, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Could well be the team vs Dortmund & Southampton next week with Flanagan out injured.

MD1990 wrote: »
    LFC team in training today: Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Johnson, Gerrard, Can, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Could well be the team vs Dortmund & Southampton next week with Flanagan out injured.

What's wrong with Flanno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I like Allen. Hasn't quite been a 15m player mind you, but like someone said earlier in the thread, we're not the club accountants.

He has done ok to very good in his appearances so far. The injuries have halted his momentum for sure but I think he's a very tidy player, always gets stuck in and is a great team player, always shows for the ball, always tries to help a team mate, stuff that goes unnoticed and has a good engine.

Also, personally I think Allen was bought to help Rodgers style of football bed in quicker at the club. Straight away he had someone at the club who understood what the manager was all about, what he was trying to do and I'd be pretty sure that would have helped the likes of Henderson and Sterling convert to it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

What's wrong with Flanno?
    He has a knee injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

What's wrong with Scouse Cafu?

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

MD1990 wrote: »

That's a strong team you'd have to say. Obv Manquillo is a bit of an unknown quantity but Can has looked great so far and our best attackers are in. Looking forward to seeing Lovren in a red shirt.

Also, I have a gut feeling Manquillo is going to be good for us long term. A Spanish Steve Finnan if you will. Don't ask me why, I'm basing it off nothing factual, just a hunch! :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is the Dortmund game on tv at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5starpool wrote: »
    Is the Dortmund game on tv at all?

BT are showing it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

BT are showing it.

Ah I was hoping sky would have it as I could record it. I won't be able to watch it when it's around, so I'll just catch highlights I guess.

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ah I was hoping sky would have it as I could record it. I won't be able to watch it when it's around, so I'll just catch highlights I guess.

Ta.

Can pick up BT for one Euro for a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ta.

Im sure the full match will be on later on LFC TV as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Sturridge up front with Sterling and Coutinho behind. Gerrard, Henderson and Can in midfield.

Allen in for Can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

That's a strong team you'd have to say. Obv Manquillo is a bit of an unknown quantity but Can has looked great so far and our best attackers are in. Looking forward to seeing Lovren in a red shirt.

Also, I have a gut feeling Manquillo is going to be good for us long term. A Spanish Steve Finnan if you will. Don't ask me why, I'm basing it off nothing factual, just a hunch! :pac:

We could do with a full back like him. Immense he was in 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Are we playing tonight??

Are those "MY" feet??

Rarely loses possession. Rarely gets knocked off the ball and is stronger than he looks.

Are you sure it's Allen you've been watching?

most games i see him, he takes a touch and an opposition player takes the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Ha I only got that now.

9b3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

most games i see him, he takes a touch and an opposition player takes the ball

He's had issues, but retaining possession isnt one of them, I remember this stat from one of his first games for us

https://twitter.com/LiverpoolScout/status/242253022833545216

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

joe123 wrote: »
    I am sorry but thats a load of non sense. He was one of the most sought after strikers in the world. Already a starting striker for Spain and scoring goals. By all accounts we gazumped United for his signing.

Signing him was on the same level as City signing Aguero.

Honestly, people just tend to skew the truth to suit their own view.

Well the way I see it is that Torres burst onto the scene at a very young age. 17 or 18 I think. Was always very highly rated and everything else. H e probably stayed at Atletico too long because he begain to stagnate there. For the two seasons before we took the risk on him he didnt even manage to get 15 goals a season, and that was as the main focal point of that team's attack. He was already 23 at that stage too.

I would put him on a par with Suarez when he came, even tho Torres clearly had the better first full season with us. To say that either Suarez or Torres were top bracket players when they signed for us, i.e. the bracket that is reserved for the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez now, Ibra, yaya Toure etc is just disingenuous imo and a clear misrecollection of events.

If in your opinion he was one of the best players in the world when we signed him then thats up to you but he didn't even manage 30 goals on the TWO full seasons before we signed him. A feat alot of the the best players in the world can get close to in one season, even the aforementioned Yaya almost managed it last season in all comps playing from midfield. Oh and fwiw my main gripe with people saying he was already world class before we signed him is that it detracts from the brilliance of the signing by Rafa imo. Rafa pushed the boat out with Torres and it paid massive dividends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Looks like we have bid 20m euro on 19 year old keita blade from lazio. We were strongly linked to him in January and again last summer.
    Outrageously fast but apparently left barca under a cloud and had attitude problems at lazio. Very interesting signing and probably means we will in fact have 4 strikers this season if we pull it off

Looks like we have bid 20m euro on 19 year old keita blade from lazio. We were strongly linked to him in January and again last summer.
    Outrageously fast but apparently left barca under a cloud and had attitude problems at lazio. Very interesting signing and probably means we will in fact have 4 strikers this season if we pull it off

No obligatory youtube video?
    I have to be honest, I've never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well I've seen him play 68 times and can tell you in minute detail abou......

Oh hang on. I'm Kirby, not Nuri Sahin. Never mind. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Looks like we have bid 20m euro on 19 year old keita blade from lazio.

Who will we be loaning him out to?

ush wrote: »
    Who will we be loaning him out to?

You read my mind.

So now we've gone from Sanchez to Remy to Bony to Falcao to Cavani to some kid no one's heard of? Lovely.

I've probably missed a few. It's early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

He might well be one for the future. Considering the development of Sterling that could be the near future. But I doubt he's being bought to solve the present striker situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Looks like another one of those buy and loan back and then possibly resell for a big profit in a year or two jobs. Apparently PSG tried to buy him last summer with a 2 year loan back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is there any source for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Had to look at the oblig youtube compilation. I know you have to take such compilations with a pinch of salt, but what struck me was his intelligence. For someone so young his decision making seems to be top notch, as he knows exactly when to release the ball to someone else or go himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Whatever about signing players with great hair a la Can and Lallana I like to see players with great names signed. Lazar has to be followed by Blade.
    All makes perfect sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement