Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

MD1990 wrote: »
    He has a poor first touch. Origi at the World Cup outshone him & we got him for 10m. Lukaku is a good striker but way overpriced. I think your forgetting Sturridge was the 2nd top scorer in the PL despite missing about 10 games. We do obvioulsy need another forward.

I wouldn't go on one WC, the PL is a different beast. Lukaku is a good player, £24m good is a different question. Is he lacking in technique ? possibly but he has shone for 2 seasons in sides considerably weaker than Chelsea.

Origi still has it all to prove imo, we are spending 10m on potential. And to me that's no different than what we did last summer on Alberto or previously with Borini.

I agree though that yes we do need another attacking option but the club know that and more importantly Rodgers knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Lukaku in a team with baines and colemen is a very very potent weapon
    But he has very poor control and technique. He is obviously young and has pace power etc
    Perfect fit for Everton and will score 15+ goals a season for them if fit every season
    Crazy to say he has plenty of technique though, thats the reason Chelsea didnt keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Watch Van Gaal ignore Shaw all season as he was a player he never wanted to sign

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Great move by Everton getting Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Watch Van Gaal ignore Shaw all season as he was a player he never wanted to sign

I was thinking along those lines this morning. I think LVG might flop at utd due to his own ego. His talk about players and the squad, it wouldn't surprise me if he's thinking along the lines... Fergie won the league with these players - So can I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

T-K-O wrote: »
    I was thinking along those lines this morning. I think LVG might flop at utd due to his own ego. His talk about players and the squad, it wouldn't surprise me if he's thinking along the lines... Fergie won the league with these players - So can I.

I wouldn't think he'd flop. If he can get Mata, Rooney and van Persie playing well together (and there's nothing to suggest he can't) they will be a serious threat to us.

Also can't see him leaving Shaw on the sidelines. Shaw is a great prospect and will do well at Utd. He's been given a program to work to and van Gaal has already said Utd's fitness team have said Shaw is responding well.

Now back to taking over Southampton...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

He's not that good! But he is tidy and "tekkerz", unafraid to run with the ball and shoot quickly. Is the obvious player to rotate with Sturridge

Which is why you shouldn't buy a player based on a highlights reel only :-)

I wouldn't think he'd flop. If he can get Mata, Rooney and van Persie playing well together (and there's nothing to suggest he can't) they will be a serious threat to us.

Also can't see him leaving Shaw on the sidelines. Shaw is a great prospect and will do well at Utd. He's been given a program to work to and van Gaal has already said Utd's fitness team have said Shaw is responding well.

Now back to taking over Southampton...

My theory was pre Shaw and his new training program. There is nothing in that story IMO.

Getting Mata & Rooney to work well in the same team will be difficult. Rooney is capable of playing in other positions, where as Mata is only really effective in one. So, that means Utd will mess poor Wayne around AGAIN, just like the Fergie days. Rooney's ability to multitask is ultimately working against him.

LVG is a good manager and he could very well have them back in the CL, I guess we shall wait and see...

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Which is why you shouldn't buy a player based on a highlights reel only :-)

Those youtube clips are complete waste of time. Everybody looks like Pele in them and the music is usually rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I would rather Lukaku for 24 million than Bony for 20 million but I think neither would suit our style of play and either one are too expensive to be used as a plan B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I would rather Lukaku for 24 million than Bony for 20 million but I think neither would suit our style of play and either one are too expensive to be used as a plan B.

I'll bet right now that Bony scores more league goals than Lukaku this season. He's lethal, most clinical striker outside top 4 for me.

The player I'm most excited about though is Graziano Pelle, though hopefully he stays quiet opening day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

8-10 wrote: »
    I'll bet right now that Bony scores more league goals than Lukaku this season. He's lethal, most clinical striker outside top 4 for me.

The player I'm most excited about though is Graziano Pelle, though hopefully he stays quiet opening day!

Just checked, and 50 goals in 58 league games in his two seasons in the Eredivisie. That's quite impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I reckon we could match PSG regarding wages up to about £200k a week, and he'd be playing in a better league. I reckon he'd get more football at Liverpool than Chelsea. And I reckon he'd fancy playing in the Champions League.

By the way, I don't recall Manchester United being based in Paris or London. Care to elaborate on why you think he'd go to United?

His release clause kicks in next summer. It's an open debate if either Liverpool or United will be playing in the CL next year, but there is no way United will perform like last year in the league with Moyes gone but the questions remains will they break into the top 4 again and can liverpool keep their place?

If both Liverpool and United were to make the CL then Reus may have a choice between a few clubs. It if came down to United or Liverpool next summer United could offer greater wages.

Cannot see Reus joining either personally as i would expect Barca to be in for him but if he goes to England the choice of City, Chelsea, United or Liverpool will mean in no uncertain terms that there isn't a hope he would join Liverpool.

Shaqiri isn't interested, Sanchez had no interest and yet some believe that Reus, a superior player, would jump at the chance to join Liverpool! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Knex. wrote: »
    Just checked, and 50 goals in 58 league games in his two seasons in the Eredivisie. That's quite impressive.

Sure we'll buy him next season off Southampton at three times the price they paid for him this season :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I think Alfonso Alves (45 goals in 39 league games) shattered the credibility of scoring records in the Eredivisie :pac:

x43r0 wrote: »
    I think Alfonso Alves (45 goals in 39 league games) shattered the credibility of scoring records in the Eredivisie :pac:

I bloody hate these comparisons! :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

zarquon wrote: »
    His release clause kicks in next summer. It's an open debate if either Liverpool or United will be playing in the CL next year, but there is no way United will perform like last year in the league with Moyes gone but the questions remains will they break into the top 4 again and can liverpool keep their place?

If both Liverpool and United were to make the CL then Reus may have a choice between a few clubs. It if came down to United or Liverpool next summer United could offer greater wages.

Cannot see Reus joining either personally as i would expect Barca to be in for him but if he goes to England the choice of City, Chelsea, United or Liverpool will mean in no uncertain terms that there isn't a hope he would join Liverpool.

Shaqiri isn't interested, Sanchez had no interest and yet some believe that Reus, a superior player, would jump at the chance to join Liverpool! :D

Well if LVG and RVP can't get them to the summit of the PL, then CL will have to do for MUFC. IIRC though, LVG, who did well at the FIFA WC, hasn't been stellar at club level recently. TBH, I think he'll struggle and so I will LMFAO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

The season before he played with Malmo, remember him hitting the post against Cork City in Europe. What a waste :p

mosstin wrote: »
    Well if LVG and RVP can't get them to the summit of the PL, then CL will have to do for MUFC. IIRC though, LVG, who did well at the FIFA WC, hasn't been stellar at club level recently. TBH, I think he'll struggle and so I will LMFAO.

I think my head just melted from acronyms.

WTF?

• Advertisement

I had this argument last week in the previous thread when I said that I had thought at the time that Suarez would be world class before Liverpool signed him and people brought up the likes of Alves and Kuyt trying to say that my logic means those players would also be world class.

People like Pelle and Suarez have a lot more to their game than goals. Pelle is not going to be the EPL top scorer or anything, but he's going to be a really good attacking outlet for them and he will score. And before people jump in, I'm in no way comparing Pelle to Suarez, he's nowhere near that level. But he's a quality player and will bring a lot more to the league than Alves.

And in similar vein, you'll see that Siem de Jong will bring more than his brother did last season.

It's not easy to predict players coming out of the Dutch league because it's so poor, which is why goals is only part of the story. But sometimes when a player moves out of the league you know he's going on to be quality, like with Suarez, like with Pelle.

I think Southampton got a good deal for him, and I'm looking forward to Liverpool signing him next summer! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

mosstin wrote: »
    It was a bit OTT on the TLAs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MD1990 wrote: »
    More like well done Chelsea. Lukaku is a decent player but that is too much for a player lacking technique.

He's 21. I don't get why people don't rate him highly but anyway. That's Barry and Lukaku signed for Everton, 2 of the 3 loan signings they had last season, never thought they could afford that but I remember Martinez saying money would be available this Summer after new commercial deals.

Any other signings by Everton?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

dogbert27 wrote: »

Im going to regret asking this but can i ask what does Lukaku have that Bony doesnt besides a smidgen more pace ? Even that is arguable by the way before anyone starts saying Lukaku is lightening fast or some garbage

As a follow up to the Gary Monk comments from this morning the Swansea chairman has come out and said that if a Champions League club comes in with an offer for Bony then he would have to be fair to him and let him go.

Im looking foward to resurrecting all my posts here about his qualities in 12 months time where he and sturridge score 22 goals each in the league for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hope the fact that nothing is coming from anyone regarding signings is a good sign that something is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Im going to regret asking this but can i ask what does Lukaku have that Bony doesnt besides a smidgen more pace ? Even that is arguable by the way before anyone starts saying Lukaku is lightening fast or some garbage

As a follow up to the Gary Monk comments from this morning the Swansea chairman has come out and said that if a Champions League club comes in with an offer for Bony then he would have to be fair to him and let him go.

Im looking foward to resurrecting all my posts here about his qualities in 12 months time where he and sturridge score 22 goals each in the league for us

He's got a good few inches on him too.

Not saying he's better but he may be a bit more of a handful for defenders aerially as he towers above most, just one thing he may pip Bony on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Anyone think Felani could work for the Pool as he seems to be available at a knock down price
    Assuming we would deal with Man U

Morzadec wrote: »
    He's got a good few inches on him too.

Not saying he's better but he may be a bit more of a handful for defenders aerially as he towers above most, just one thing he may pip Bony on

Yes, his tackle is impressive for a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone think Felani could work for the Pool as he seems to be available at a knock down price

I presume that's 'Black' and not 'Liver' you are referring to......

• Advertisement

He was working just fine for us while at United last year.

Keep him there, I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Sure we'll buy him next season off Southampton at three times the price they paid for him this season :pac:
    Nah, we will look for him on loan for the season with an option to buy and only paying half his wages;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just be glad Raif didn't post it. All those acronyms with his predilection for capitalisation and one would be excused for thinking they were reading posts by Terry Pratchett's Death on the Liverpool thread.

Daemonic wrote: »
    It was a bit OTT on the TLAs :pac:

Hey!

I'd love it! Just for the backtracking we all could partake in, it would really add to our rep as the worstest fans.

Love TP's Discworld stuff. Such a sad shame about his Alzheimer :(

Love TP's Discworld stuff. Such a sad shame about his Alzheimer :(

Yep!!!!! The latest book was quite good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Lukaku hasn't signed for Everton yet folks. The presser was for an announcement about Barkley's new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Well done Everton.

Lukaku for £24mil.

You need to stop broadcasting things you read on twitter as fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

ibhtZz7jgiSGm7.gif

zarquon wrote: »

United back in the CL. Shaquiri rejected Liverpool. Liverpool won't offer competitive wages next year. People believe Reus is 'jumping at the chance' for a move to Liverpool.

You make an awful lot of assumptions considering we're a year away from any of this happening.

Barca will be unable to make any transfers next Summer by the way. Unless you're assuming they win their appeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sappy404 wrote: »
    United back in the CL. Shaquiri rejected Liverpool. Liverpool won't offer competitive wages next year. People believe Reus is 'jumping at the chance' for a move to Liverpool.

You make an awful lot of assumptions considering we're a year away from any of this happening.

Barca will be unable to make any transfers next Summer by the way. Unless you're assuming they win their appeal?
    So thats why Shaqiri was favouring tweets on twitter saying Liverpool should buy him https://twitter.com/XS_11official/favorites .
    All respected Liverpool journalists reported that Markovic was picked instead of Shaqiri.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

5pm announcement on LFC.com

I'm going for a Orgy Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I only know of him what I saw at the world cup. Anyone know more?
    Could he do a job this year for us or is he better off on loan for another year? I woudl have thought it would be good to bring him in for abit (maybe til Jan) and then let him out on loan.

Deal agreed between Sunderland and Borini, Reus signs pending a medical.

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Could he do a job this year for us or is he better off on loan for another year? I woudl have thought it would be good to bring him in for abit (maybe til Jan) and then let him out on loan.

I dont think you're on your own.

but I did like what I seen.

but still filed under 'Ryan Babel' until he has a few PL games under his belt.

James Carroll tweeting the same "Stay tuned to Liverpoolfc.com and @LFC for some breaking news in a few moments... #LFC"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NEDDURC wrote: »

Assuming we buy another attacker it's hard to see where he'd get the game time, League Cup maybe, a loan back is probably the right option. Maybe long term replacement for Lambert though he looks a different player.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Origi it is!

BtuTOg2IEAAdstG.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BORING!

I like this better :pac:

BtuTWutIcAA_TMa.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement