Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The one that got away.

Aly-Cissokho-011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chased away more like.

Speaking of left backs, everything seems to be pointing at Moreno joining after the Super Cup on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Chased away more like.

Speaking of left backs, everything seems to be pointing at Moreno joining after the Super Cup on Tuesday.

That deal is getting more sour by the day. I hope he signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Chased away more like.

You think Cissokho was up to it at our level?

If he had been ScouseCufu wouldn't have seen nearly as much action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

mormank wrote: »
    Well the way I see it is that Torres burst onto the scene at a very young age. 17 or 18 I think. Was always very highly rated and everything else. H e probably stayed at Atletico too long because he begain to stagnate there. For the two seasons before we took the risk on him he didnt even manage to get 15 goals a season, and that was as the main focal point of that team's attack. He was already 23 at that stage too.

I would put him on a par with Suarez when he came, even tho Torres clearly had the better first full season with us. To say that either Suarez or Torres were top bracket players when they signed for us, i.e. the bracket that is reserved for the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez now, Ibra, yaya Toure etc is just disingenuous imo and a clear misrecollection of events.

If in your opinion he was one of the best players in the world when we signed him then thats up to you but he didn't even manage 30 goals on the TWO full seasons before we signed him. A feat alot of the the best players in the world can get close to in one season, even the aforementioned Yaya almost managed it last season in all comps playing from midfield. Oh and fwiw my main gripe with people saying he was already world class before we signed him is that it detracts from the brilliance of the signing by Rafa imo. Rafa pushed the boat out with Torres and it paid massive dividends.

Ah here when we talk about signing top players, do we really have to compare them to the likes of Ronaldo and Messi?

You are using those to try and prove your point.

Sure Torres had begun to stagnate at Athletico but as a team they were struggling. It still doesnt take away from the fact he was one of the most highly regarded and sought after strikers in Europe.

He had a great showing at the Euros for Spain previously too. You would swear we picked this guy from obscurity.

Again I compared his signing to when City signed Aguero. Not Messi, not ronaldo, not ibra or ribery.

Still doesnt detract from the fact Torres was known throughout Europe and even most fans knew about him at that stage.

Almost sure he was madrids captain too. From what you are saying you are comparing it to our signing of Markovich.

Rafa did brilliantly in bringing him and pushing him to another level.

A starting striker for the Spanish national side is not a player picked from obscurity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

joe123 wrote: »
    Ah here when we talk about signing top players, do we really have to compare them to the likes of Ronaldo and Messi?

You are using those to try and prove your point.

Sure Torres had begun to stagnate at Athletico but as a team they were struggling. It still doesnt take away from the fact he was one of the most highly regarded and sought after strikers in Europe.

He had a great showing at the Euros for Spain previously too. You would swear we picked this guy from obscurity.

Again I compared his signing to when City signed Aguero. Not Messi, not ronaldo, not ibra or ribery.

Still doesnt detract from the fact Torres was known throughout Europe and even most fans knew about him at that stage.

Almost sure he was madrids captain too. From what you are saying you are comparing it to our signing of Markovich.

Rafa did brilliantly in bringing him and pushing him to another level.

A starting striker for the Spanish national side is not a player picked from obscurity.

You said he was a World class signing, one of the most sought after strikers in the world.

Mormank rightly said he wasn't at the top tier of players and had been average for Atletico in the two seasons before he joined us.

You have interpreted that as Mormank saying he was a signing plucked from obscurity.

Football forums are mad.

Fescue wrote: »

Football forums are mad.

No shades of grey here! More fundamental than the average religious sect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Kirby wrote: »
    Well I've seen him play 68 times and can tell you in minute detail abou......

Oh hang on. I'm Kirby, not Nuri Sahin. Never mind. :p

Having a go at someone who can't have a go back is knob-jockey behaviour IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Has it been confirmed anywhere why the Remy deal was called off? I know there is talk of him failing the medical. Something to do with Borini not going to Sunderland perhaps? Wonder is there any chance we could go back in Remy if we shift Borini?

• Advertisement

I thought it was quite funny :D Nothing to serious!!

billy2012 wrote: »
    I thought it was quite funny :D Nothing to serious!!

I didn't think he was having a go. Just a bit of fun.

I didn't think he was having a go. Just a bit of fun.

Fair enough, I just find it funnier when the other person can have a go back.

Fair enough, I just find it funnier when the other person can have a go back.

Maybe he was having a go but it wasn't the way I read it, more a bit of self-deprecating humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Has it been confirmed anywhere why the Remy deal was called off? I know there is talk of him failing the medical. Something to do with Borini not going to Sunderland perhaps? Wonder is there any chance we could go back in Remy if we shift Borini?

Has it been confirmed anywhere that the deal was on?

Nothing official from the club as they wouldn't comment on potential deals but Rodgers said they had moved on so it's not going to happen.

I do wonder if that deal got called off as they had a sniff of another big deal. Just not buying this failed medical story.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed anywhere that the deal was on?

Nothing official from the club as they wouldn't comment on potential deals but Rodgers said they had moved on so it's not going to happen.

I do wonder if that deal got called off as they had a sniff of another big deal. Just not buying this failed medical story.

Well he went for a medical.

Rodgers has talked about how they have decided not to go ahead for what ever reason.

So yes....I'd imagine it was on at some point.

Just seen something on Twitter. Tim Vickery, speaking on a bbc football podcast, has said he was contacted by a football agent recently, where he was told that Liverpool are lining up a big name replacement for Suarez. He said it wasn't Falcao. That's all he was told.

Tim Vickery would be a very credible journalist in my opinion, albeit being told something by an agent, may not necessarily be true.

The thinking on the podcast was it was Cavani. Which would be credible in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just seen something on Twitter. Tim Vickery, speaking on a bbc football podcast, has said he was contacted by a football agent recently, where he was told that Liverpool are lining up a big name replacement for Suarez. He said it wasn't Falcao. That's all he was told.

Tim Vickery would be a very credible journalist in my opinion, albeit being told something by an agent, may not necessarily be true.

The thinking on the podcast was it was Cavani. Which would be credible in my opinion.

Thats just vague enough to get into the mirrors back page ;)

Also, I know its not PL but FL72 is back today. I'm so happy to have footie back :)

Vicxas wrote: »
    Thats just vague enough to get into the mirrors back page ;)

Also, I know its not PL but FL72 is back today. I'm so happy to have footie back :)

There is also some suggestion it might be Higuain. Lets see if the papers run with it over the next few days.

I don't understand why Higuain would leave Napoli. Unless he has a release clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Was the agent representing cavani I wonder because he has been pretty vocal recently. Could be just trying to stir up some interest in his client. Perhaps not.
    The guy claiming to be Fsg has said we had big on a young potential superstar which would be announced this weekend, which now looks like balde. He also said there was a marquee signing on the way to replace suarez.
    Exciting times all told. Can't wait for season to starr

• Advertisement

The weather for tomorrows game looks like it could be fairly biblical - the fag end of Hurricane Bertha will be dumping a lot of rain over most of England and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Looks like we have bid 20m euro on 19 year old keita blade from lazio. We were strongly linked to him in January and again last summer.
    Outrageously fast but apparently left barca under a cloud and had attitude problems at lazio. Very interesting signing and probably means we will in fact have 4 strikers this season if we pull it off

Any good source? Or is it just random nobodys on twitter? It seems to have popped up out of nowhere but you appear pretty confident its on. Itd be fairly risky to sign another kid as our final striking option, and I highly doubt we'll be forking out 20m and then making another big signing. Ive never seen him play and never heard of him before today so I'll reserve judgement.
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    Whatever about signing players with great hair a la Can and Lallana I like to see players with great names signed. Lazar has to be followed by Blade.
    All makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately his name is Balde. Blade would have been way cooler

I wonder if we are lining up a move for a player from Italy. I wonder if the hesitation on Borini's part to move to Sunderland is because he may be part of a deal that could see him return to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

MR NINE wrote: »
    Any good source? Or is it just random nobodys on twitter? It seems to have popped up out of nowhere but you appear pretty confident its on. Itd be fairly risky to sign another kid as our final striking option, and I highly doubt we'll be forking out 20m and then making another big signing. Ive never seen him play and never heard of him before today so I'll reserve judgement.

We had a guy called Blades, we was #9 last year.

I wonder if we are lining up a move for a player from Italy. I wonder if the hesitation on Borini's part to move to Sunderland is because he may be part of a deal that could see him return to Italy.

Not a bad shout. Icardi is the player who I've seen linked a few times but I'm not sure he's the answer. Talented, yes, but we need talent and experience IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Source Mr Nine is sky italia. They are saying an official bid has been lodged and lazio have rejected it. They are pretty credible along with the usual headbangers on Twitter naturally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Mickalus wrote: »
    We had a guy called Blades, we was #9 last year.

Huh, I never knew that. Perhaps it takes more than a fancy name to cut it at Liverpool after all

Iscardi whoever he is, is clearly not a big name replacement for Suarez. He's just another one of those promising young fellas who cost too much and LFC have enough of them. If a striker is being bought he needs to be CL hardened - someone like Higuaín

Not a bad shout. Icardi is the player who I've seen linked a few times but I'm not sure he's the answer. Talented, yes, but we need talent and experience IMO.

If Liverpool are lining up a big name replacement for Suarez, as Tim Vickery suggested, then I don't see anyone from Italy fitting the bill really.

That said, I am still confused with the situation over Borini, surely he realises he is unlikely to have a great future at Liverpool. So why the delay. Clubs in Italy are usually more open to player exchanges so perhaps something is happening in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

If Liverpool are lining up a big name replacement for Suarez, as Tim Vickery suggested, then I don't see anyone from Italy fitting the bill really.

That said, I am still confused with the situation over Borini, surely he realises he is unlikely to have a great future at Liverpool. So why the delay. Clubs in Italy are usually more open to player exchanges so perhaps something is happening in that regard.

No more Italians. Haven't worked out for us lately.

I think signing Cavani is possible. From what I have gathered, PSG would be willing to let him leave, so as to accommodate Di Maria in the squad. FFP is probably a factor here, plus I believe Cavani is somewhat unsettled in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

MR NINE wrote: »

Ya just saw that when googling keita blade.
    If his name is Balde I don't want to know about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Well he went for a medical.

Rodgers has talked about how they have decided not to go ahead for what ever reason.

So yes....I'd imagine it was on at some point.

Yeah he also said in the interview shortly after something like "it happened the lad before its just unfortunate, that its happened again" i took a guess there he was talking about his past issuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Since it's Tim Vickery we can guess it would be a top South American striker those who could possbily move are..

Falcao - I'd say no.
    Cavani - possible.
    Tevez - I wouldn't mind but he hates England. But loves money.
    Higuain - I doubt it.
    Damiao - A long shot, Once highly though of could be a surprise maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Since it's Tim Vickery we can guess it would be a top South American striker those who could possbily move are..

Falcao - I'd say no.
    Cavani - possible.
    Higuain - I doubt it.

You forgot Messi. Must be a like for like swap for Suarez basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Falcao - I'd say no.
    Cavani - possible.
    Higuain - I doubt it.

Fred!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Falcao - I'd say no.
    Cavani - possible.
    Higuain - I doubt it.
    Big chance it could be Jackson Martinez imo. He has a 27m release clause. Whats Damiao doing in that list he has had a shocking time the last 2 years.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Whats Damiao doing in that list he has had a shocking time the last 2 years.

That's why he is there the whole FSG moneyball buy players that were highly regarded but never lived up to it. He is still young at 24 and probably cheap comapred to 2 years ago.

Jackson Martinez has been my shout for the last couple of weeks and I forgot him on that list lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

retalivity wrote: »
    Fred!

Please god no !

That's why he is there the whole FSG moneyball buy players that were highly regarded but never lived up to it. He is still young at 24 and probably cheap comapred to 2 years ago.

Jackson Martinez has been my shout for the last couple of weeks and I forgot him on that list lol

Would Jackson Martinez be a "big name" signing? For me not really.

The circumstances might just be right to prise Cavani away from PSG. If they get Di Maria, then he would be playing where Cavani was for PSG I believe.

It might take £40 million but I think it would represent value, given the price some strikers have gone for in recent weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

How about Pato, one who definitely never fulfilled the hype and still only 24

Just listening to Tim Vickery right now - "big name player being lined up very soon...I couldn't find out any more than that. But I don't think Falcao" The host replies and sez he thinks its Cavani

The one thing about signing Cavani is it will probably be his last big move.

If we sign I can't see him moving to Spain in a season or two I'd say he would be with us for 4/5 seasons or the end of his top class playing days. So £40M would be a good price for him.

If a Spainsh club haven't come looking for him by now I can't see them looking for him in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

tritium wrote: »

He of the injury record that would make Darren Anderton blush? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

24! Seems like he's been around ages.

That would be a very money ball signing. He has shown he has the potential to be the best and looked like Europe's top upcoming striker at one stage. Judging from his latest appearances his injuries look behind him.
    I would certainly have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cavani would be a brillant signing. Suit our style perfectly. Hopefully PSG saying there not after Di Maria was just a tactic to reduce his price.

The one thing about signing Cavani is it will probably be his last big move.

If we sign I can't see him moving to Spain in a season or two I'd say he would be with us for 4/5 seasons or the end of his top class playing days. So £40M would be a good price for him.

If a Spainsh club haven't come looking for him by now I can't see them looking for him in the future.

It's probably wishful thinking on my part but he would make a lot of sense.

A big name signing to appease the fans.

Can play wide left as well as up front so would be able to play with Sturridge.

Very hard worker so suited to our pressing game.

A track record of scoring goals, actually an astonishing record of scoring, especially in Italy.

Would get the iconic number 7 shirt, which he wore at Napoli.

Premier League would suit him perfectly I think.

I'd have no problem taking a chance on Pato or Damiao if I'm being honest you could probably get both of them for the money we could be getting for Borini.

They would be the perfect moneyball signings if the work out their price skyrockets if not you could probably sell them to Spain or back to a club in South America for what you paid for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just asking my buddy about Pato there (just a general footy nut). He says he is a hugely talented player just lost. The level he is currently playing at isn't helping he needs a fresh challenge and a manager to have enormous faith in him. Rodgers would be the ideal man. You could get him for a song as he isn't really wanted at his current club.

Pato and coutinho on song would be a marvellous sight.

Lucas posted a light at the end of the tunnel pic on Instagram.

I wonder is he off next?

http://instagram.com/p/rejncPgTHg/
    Trabzonspor agree terms with Liverpool defender Kolo Toure

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=6301

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement