Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Lucas posted a light at the end of the tunnel pic on Instagram.

I wonder is he off next?

http://instagram.com/p/rejncPgTHg/

It could also be a thing about the fact the season starts too . That could be why he posted it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It could also be a thing about the fact the season starts too . That could be why he posted it .

Very true he could feel like the last two seasons of injuries are over and he is ready to start a fresh injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

joe123 wrote: »
    I am sorry but thats a load of non sense. He was one of the most sought after strikers in the world. Already a starting striker for Spain and scoring goals. By all accounts we gazumped United for his signing.

Signing him was on the same level as City signing Aguero.

Honestly, people just tend to skew the truth to suit their own view.
    Presumably you're also referring to yourself there.

There was no gazumping of anyone in the Torres transfer - Chelsea and Newcastle both had bids refused in 2006. Ferguson considered Torres as a possible transfer target for Man Utd in the summer of 2006, but dismissed him because he didn't believe he would perform at a higher level. Torres had been highly criticised in the Spanish media (led in no small way by the Real Madrid mouth piece Marca) for not performing in the big games - he had never played well or scored against Real Madrid.

Benitez spent months tapping up Torres in 2007, there were many "Hey it's Rafa ..." phone calls before the end of the 2006-07 season. After losing the Champions League Final to Milan, he told Torres we would have won the game had he been playing for Liverpool - within a month it was a publicly known secret that Torres was joining Liverpool.

The club broke their transfer fee record to sign Torres but there was certainly no gazumping because there was no other club in the running.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    If his name is Balde I don't want to know about him
    It gets better - it's actually Diao and his parents are from Senegal. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Since it's Tim Vickery we can guess it would be a top South American striker those who could possbily move are..

Falcao - I'd say no.
    Cavani - possible.
    Tevez - I wouldn't mind but he hates England. But loves money.
    Higuain - I doubt it.
    Damiao - A long shot, Once highly though of could be a surprise maybe.

the guy from udinese, Muriel, is another option. he has said he would prefer to stay at his club but you know how these things can pan out.

Looks like we have bid 20m euro on 19 year old keita blade from lazio. We were strongly linked to him in January and again last summer.
    Outrageously fast but apparently left barca under a cloud and had attitude problems at lazio. Very interesting signing and probably means we will in fact have 4 strikers this season if we pull it off
    That was the other Keita - the midfielder Seydou Keita.

We have been previously linked with this Keita though, during Damien Comolli's stint as Director of Football we sniffed around quite a few of the Barcelona B players.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Pato has a chronic injury record. I'm sure it will take him a long time to get used to the premiership too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I would love it if we could sign Cavani.

He has a phenomenal scoring record and is about as good a player as we could ever hope to attract to replace Suarez.

He even has the added bonus of being able to function wide as part of 3 attackers.

And he's only 27.

It would be such an exciting signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Old Boy Watch ;)

Danny Ayala just scored for Boro
    Conor Coady not playing for Huddersfield

LOAN WATCH

Brad Smith starts at left back. Swindon 2-1 up.

• Advertisement

Pato has a chronic injury record. I'm sure it will take him a long time to get used to the premiership too
    There was a very good article some time ago explaining that Pato's injury record was due to his growth - his training regime wasn't managed to take into account the changes in his physical growth.

Revealed: The reasons behind Alexandre Pato's injury nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Signing Cavani is starting to look more and more plausible, and it's a very exciting proposition.

It would be a real stament of intent to bag him. Hopefully Suarez has spoken highly of the city and fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

daRobot wrote: »
    Signing Cavani is starting to look more and more plausible, and it's a very exciting proposition.

It would be a real stament of intent to bag him. Hopefully Suarez has spoken highly of the city and fans.

He'd be a quality signing, I highly rate him too, despite being annoyingly inconsistent, and downright awful last night.

I just can't see PSG selling him. Their squad was very thin last night, and that's without any major injuries. FFP rules are slowly ruining that team, so they have no reason to sell their top players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

martyos121 wrote: »
    He'd be a quality signing, I highly rate him too, despite being annoyingly inconsistent, and downright awful last night.

I just can't see PSG selling him. Their squad was very thin last night, and that's without any major injuries. FFP rules are slowly ruining that team, so they have no reason to sell their top players.

They want to sign Di Maria, selling Cavani would help them do that within the limits of FFP I think.

Now that is utterly hilarious!

h5AD5158F

Fescue wrote: »
    They want to sign Di Maria, selling Cavani would help them do that within the limits of FFP I think.

Hopefully they follow through with that so. On a side note, their young forward Bahebeck was outstanding last night when he came on for the last 20 minutes. We should keep an eye on him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

daRobot wrote: »

Few murmurs now that the player in question could be Gonzalo Higuain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Would absolutely love Higuain.

Never really thought about him as I didn't think he would be moving from Napoli.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Would absolutely love Higuain.

Never really thought about him as I didn't think he would be moving from Napoli.

Napoli need the cash apparently, its being reported in the States (out of Boston), its been on NBC.

'd prefer Cavani, his versatility and work rate would be a huge addition. Higuain needs to be an out and out centre forward, cannot see him interchanging with Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Ah here when we talk about signing top players, do we really have to compare them to the likes of Ronaldo and Messi?

You are using those to try and prove your point.

Sure Torres had begun to stagnate at Athletico but as a team they were struggling. It still doesnt take away from the fact he was one of the most highly regarded and sought after strikers in Europe.

He had a great showing at the Euros for Spain previously too. You would swear we picked this guy from obscurity.

Again I compared his signing to when City signed Aguero. Not Messi, not ronaldo, not ibra or ribery.

Still doesnt detract from the fact Torres was known throughout Europe and even most fans knew about him at that stage.

Almost sure he was madrids captain too. From what you are saying you are comparing it to our signing of Markovich.

Rafa did brilliantly in bringing him and pushing him to another level.

A starting striker for the Spanish national side is not a player picked from obscurity.

Ya sure he was their captain. He was even Diego Simeone's captain for a while but he was not a top bracket player like those player's mentioned, I'm glad you agree. That's what my point was and I don't need to prove it, I'm pretty sure you just proved it for me.

Weren't they looking for €100m for him? If they're willing to do business at a much lower price however, I'd love him at the club. If Rafa was on board with the sale, he wouldn't have a hard time convincing him why he should go to Liverpool too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Weren't they looking for €100m for him? If they're willing to do business at a much lower price however, I'd love him at the club. If Rafa was on board with the sale, he wouldn't have a hard time convincing him why he should go to Liverpool too.

Given a straight choice between the two I'd pick Cavani every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Its all very well hoping for Cavani but although hes a very good player, I cant help but think of how similar he is to Andy Carroll in his size and style of play. I really dont see how he will fit into our style of play. Stevan Jovetic on the other hand would be my number one choice and if not him then Jackson Martinez from Porto. Even Higuain would be nice too. If we do end up signing Cavani I wont be disappointed and will back him to the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Someone just compared Andy Carroll to Cavani. I'm off to the pub.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Its all very well hoping for Cavani but although hes a very good player, I cant help but think of how similar he is to Andy Carroll in his size and style of play. I really dont see how he will fit into our style of play. Stevan Jovetic on the other hand would be my number one choice and if not him then Jackson Martinez from Porto. Even Higuain would be nice too. If we do end up signing Cavani I wont be disappointed and will back him to the last.

you have to be on a wind up

mosstin wrote: »
    Someone just compared Andy Carroll to Cavani. I'm off to the pub.

and someone liked it aswell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Its all very well hoping for Cavani but although hes a very good player, I cant help but think of how similar he is to Andy Carroll in his size and style of play.

The worst insult you could possibly give him! He is in no way like Carroll in his style of play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Such ridiculously lazy comparison.

Oooh, tall! Oooh, hair!

Edison is also the Spanish for Andy, don't ya know.

Andy Cavani, come on home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tall, hair, likes to tie it up.....Carroll is actually like Ibrahimovic....in both football ability and looks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

meh cavani, his moobs are too distracting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Not only long hair but both names being with 'Ca' too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

kfallon wrote: »
    Tall, hair, likes to tie it up.....Carroll is actually like Ibrahimovic....in both football ability and looks....

One of the select few who #DaredToZlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

I rate Cavani in Europe, not sure if the England game will suit him, quicker then what he's used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Sakho in talks with WestHam :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Damn you to hell for that

Oh my poor heart

I'm not falling for any cheeky links anymore.
    babu-finger-wag1-1.gif?w=604

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hey Uncle Leo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Just read the quote from Vickery. Dont know who it is or how accurate but he is one of the best and imo under rated journos out there.

Loved listening to him during the world cup. That man knows his football. South American football is his area of expertise.

If it is a south american my guess would be on Cavani who would be a fantastic signing. Can blow a little hot and cold though but he is the best we can hope for.

Thinking outside of the box Pato, Muriel and possibly Damio.

Pato without injuries? Would be a typical FSG signing with bags of potential. Damio disappeared off everyones radar. Muriel would be interesting but worrying he couldnt make the columbia squad.

Had Argentina won the World Cup they might have had a chance of getting such a fee but he fluffed that chance in the final and with it put a dent in his potential transfer value. Napoli signed him for €40M last summer and would expect to recoup at least that in any transfer. He's still a very good player and one I personally would have traded for Suarez last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

You said he was a World class signing, one of the most sought after strikers in the world.

Mormank rightly said he wasn't at the top tier of players and had been average for Atletico in the two seasons before he joined us.

You have interpreted that as Mormank saying he was a signing plucked from obscurity.

Football forums are mad.

Everyone knows that Mess and Ronaldo are in a league of their own. Its a moot point using those to compare ANY player. Doesn't mean to say the player isn't world class or almost there.

And I'm fairly sure I never said Torres was world class when we signed him, but to write him off as a markovich type signing was what the op was implying or at least seemed to imply.

The fact is and Torres was one of the most sought after strikers at the time. Madrid captain, starting for Spain and scoring in a major tournament.

What is mad is how short some fans memories are. Again us signing Torres was akin to city signing Aguero.

Was aguero as good as messi no? Does that mean he was plucked from the wilderness no? He was one of the best in Europe.

Football forums are indeed mad.

• Advertisement

We've also been linked with this veteran Portuguese star today. Think he could do very well, but it's not exactly a position we need to strengthen. Opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

If Liverpool are lining up a big name replacement for Suarez, as Tim Vickery suggested, then I don't see anyone from Italy fitting the bill really.

That said, I am still confused with the situation over Borini, surely he realises he is unlikely to have a great future at Liverpool. So why the delay. Clubs in Italy are usually more open to player exchanges so perhaps something is happening in that regard.

Balotelli ?

edit Rodgers has ruled him out though

mada999 wrote: »
    Balotelli ?

If it's from Tim Vickery it's more than likely a South American player that's where his contacts come from.

He said himself he doesn't have many contacts in that side of football but this agent rang him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Vermaelen off to barca so agger wont be going there so i wonder who will sign him, probably napoli. Hope we dont loan him out or anything like the reina situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

i'd only pay 15-20 for him, don't really rate him, he's very slow, would he fit the system?

Old Boy Watch ;)

Danny Ayala just scored for Boro
    Conor Coady not playing for Huddersfield

LOAN WATCH

Brad Smith starts at left back. Swindon 2-1 up.

Swindon won their game 3-1 Smith was playing as a wing back, a role he hinted he might be good at playing for the U21s a couple of times.

• Advertisement

Everyone knows that Mess and Ronaldo are in a league of their own. Its a moot point using those to compare ANY player. Doesn't mean to say the player isn't world class or almost there.

And I'm fairly sure I never said Torres was world class when we signed him, but to write him off as a markovich type signing was what the op was implying or at least seemed to imply.

The fact is and Torres was one of the most sought after strikers at the time. Madrid captain, starting for Spain and scoring in a major tournament.

What is mad is how short some fans memories are. Again us signing Torres was akin to city signing Aguero.

Was aguero as good as messi no? Does that mean he was plucked from the wilderness no? He was one of the best in Europe.

Football forums are indeed mad.

Please show me where I said we plucked Torres from obscurity. Using your own words from a previous post to prove your point against me is pretty weak. But fwiw I do think your comparison with Aguero when signed by city isn't quite accurate either. If he was as highly rated as aguero at the time of signing Torres would probably have just gone straight to Chelsea from Madrid

Let me put it another way Joe, Torres was not the finished article when we signed him. Plus if he was so sought after why were there no actual bids from any of the big boys in Europe for him? Your recollection of events is just a little off I'm afraid. It's close, but just a little off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

We've also been linked with this veteran Portuguese star today. Think he could do very well, but it's not exactly a position we need to strengthen. Opinions?

635289901683474787tumblir%20wanker.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

635289901683474787tumblir%20wanker.gif

There should be a thread ban for posting the link to that article. It's not remotely funny at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

If it's from Tim Vickery it's more than likely a South American player that's where his contacts come from.

He said himself he doesn't have many contacts in that side of football but this agent rang him.

He also said he didn't know who the player was.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement