Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sakho gets unfair criticism for being poor on the ball as he is actually good in possesion. Hhas the potential to be a very good CB but he hasn't played great for us since he arrived. He's very rash at times & takes risks. Skrtel for the most part last season played very well so he would have to ahead of Sakho atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Fescue wrote: »
    I just don't understand why people assume Sakho will dislodge Skrtel. Skrtel was by far our best defender last year and Sakho showed very little for Liverpool. Lovren seems to play as the left centre back, why mess with that.

I kind of agree. I brought it up a while back about the Lovren and Sakho both being left sided CB's and every just assumed that Lovren would play on the right.

I personally wouldn't change his position, I've never seen or heard of him playing on the right so why now. And if we were going to play him on the right surely he would of started there today.

I think Skrtel deserves his place on the team but what happens to Sakho? Back up at 18M? Don't see it happening. He was class in the world cup and pre season and think he also deserves a place in the team.

Thought 3 at the back would be a possibility but again, thought we might of seen it today if that was the plan. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

When he played he looked very strong he had pass completion in the high 90%.

Literally the only time I've ever seen a pass completion used to make a case for a CB. Clutching at straws big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Literally the only time I've ever seen a pass completion used to make a case for a CB. Clutching at straws big time.

It's used for Sakho because the common criticism is that he's an ungainly oaf with poor technique.

He's clearly aerially dominant, aggressive, strong, fast and good in the tackle.

His only problem is to do with how he uses that aggression and whether or not he can stay disciplined (loony tackles against City at home last season, for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Say the biggest downer on the Liverpool thread.

I take that as complement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ha! Liverpool win 4-0 and Mr Alan is here to do down a player who wasn't playing. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not really. Sakho is excellent in possesion. He also palys a lot of excellent forward passes into to midield too. He can take too many risks at times though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

He has only played 18 games for Liverpool and was injured for half the season.

When he played he looked very strong he had pass completion in the high 90%.

Just because he looks awarked doesn't mean he showed very little.

Also just because Skrtel scored some goals that didn't cover for his mistakes and weakness as well.

fpb60m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think Sakho has great potential but people are far too dismissive of Skrtel.

I think with a good organiser beside him, Skrtel will push on again this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Skrtel & Lovren looked well balanced today. With Lovren organising the defense I don't think we'll concede 50 goals in the league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Talisman wrote: »
    Skrtel & Lovren looked well balanced today. With Lovren organising the defense I don't think we'll concede 50 goals in the league this season.

I think it's a safe bet that we won't score as many goals and we won't concede as many this season compared to last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Pretty funny at the start of this video, at the end of YNWA, commentator attributes it to "Gary and the Peace Makers"

Gerry und die Hertzschrittmacher

I'd drive Skrtel to the airport myself if a half decent bid came in for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Would be surprised. Rodgers loves Allen.

If you love someone, let them go...

Gerry and the Undertakers

The-Undertaker-3.jpg

fpb60m.jpg

I can do that too.

BurxRsjIYAARPXH.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

rarnes1 wrote: »

The-Undertaker-3.jpg

Kyriagokos has let himself go, big time

I can do that too.

BurxRsjIYAARPXH.png

I think the stats I used might be more appropriate for analysing a defender no? I even included pass completion for you.

• Advertisement

I think the stats I used might be more appropriate for analysing a defender no? I even included pass completion for you.

Well aren't you great putting that in there for me.

Not scoring 4 own goals is also a thing for a defender not to do.

It's ok to be wrong, it's human. I'm sure you'll be right about something in the near future. I wish you well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Let Sakho and skrtel fight it out to see who plays beside Lovren, competition is always best for a team looking to challenge for honours.

10404104_768407833204899_4417281601006799716_n.jpg?oh=39a27eb62106ae7ae5b5180dc90c88a6&oe=5473E61B&__gda__=1416847473_54a3ab83a545caefef4329d45b2bd5ee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rarnes1 wrote: »
    10404104_768407833204899_4417281601006799716_n.jpg?oh=39a27eb62106ae7ae5b5180dc90c88a6&oe=5473E61B&__gda__=1416847473_54a3ab83a545caefef4329d45b2bd5ee

Meant to mention that he didn't just tip it he rubbed it. Class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Wow. I can't believe it's actually happening!

BsnKikqCYAAcSDL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Wee Brendan.
    giphy.gif
    Just about.

klose wrote: »
    Let Sakho and skrtel fight it out to see who plays beside Lovren, competition is always best for a team looking to challenge for honours.
    It's class - Lovren plus one of Agger, Skrtel, Sakho, Coates, Ilori and Kelly if there's an injury crisis means we're well covered in central defence.

If Moreno signs this week then the weak link in the defensive third will be the goalkeeper and Mignolet may improve his performance level by having a better marshalled defensive line in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Surprised at Sakho's stats for blocks. Tbh lads for a lad that was out injured twice last season IIRC those stats aren't bad. If he was on a level with an experienced CB like Skrtel already we'd have some player on our hands. I've no doubt he'll settle in and prove a good buy, the talent and potential is there.

Tbh if we get the right buy we should score plenty this season, hardly 101 but could be hitting 80 easy. Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge are undroppable atm but you can see why Rodgers bought Lallana and Markovic, we'll have plenty of options on the bench.

Only pre season but things aren't looking as bad as maybe some of us thought.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It's ok to be wrong, it's human. I'm sure you'll be right about something in the near future. I wish you well.

Put up the stats for all the the matches where they palyed together!

Put up the stats where Skrtel played with Agger and compare them.

I'm pretty sure Skrtel would have had to do alot more defending to do when Agger was his CB partner.

If all you can do is be a smart a$$ thats fair enough.

But if you are going to use stats use the right ones to prove your points.

You've got to love those double negatives. ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

gXif3xp.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rob316 wrote: »
    he didn't just tip it he rubbed it.

Ooh, I love it when they do that... :D

Put up the stats for all the the matches where they palyed together!

Put up the stats where Skrtel played with Agger and compare them.

I'm pretty sure Skrtel would have had to do alot more defending to do when Agger was his CB partner.

If all you can do is be a smart a$$ thats fair enough.

But if you are going to use stats use the right ones to prove your points.

Come on, the stats I used are the ones in the defensive section of the Squawka comparison matrix.

The ones you posted were smart ass, so I responded in kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sakho gets unfair criticism for being poor on the ball as he is actually good in possesion. Hhas the potential to be a very good CB but he hasn't played great for us since he arrived. He's very rash at times & takes risks. Skrtel for the most part last season played very well so he would have to ahead of Sakho atm.

Do you remember the first Man City game last season, where he had a 5 minute spell of absolutely losing his head.

That's the best example of his tendency to panic, something he's done on more than one occasion.

The man is clearly a talent, but it's wrong to suggest he's done enough to be guaranteed starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I['d agree that Skrtel was our best CB last season, but in a defence as leaky as ours was that's not saying much.
    He was caught out of position and ball watching on many occasions last season, he scored a few goals as well, at both ends mind!

Sakho has IMO huge potential, one of the few flaws in his game at the moment is his decision making as to when to stand off or dive in, considering he is young i'd like to think that will come with a bit more experience under his belt. His concentration levels, aerial ability blocking and tackling ability are above Skrtel's as i see it. He may not start the season as 1st choice but i think given a good run of games he can establish himself as 1st choice.

I['d agree that Skrtel was our best CB last season, but in a defence as leaky as ours was that's not saying much.
    He was caught out of position and ball watching on many occasions last season, he scored a few goals as well, at both ends mind!

Sakho has IMO huge potential, one of the few flaws in his game at the moment is his decision making as to when to stand off or dive in, considering he is young i'd like to think that will come with a bit more experience under his belt. His concentration levels, aerial ability blocking and tackling ability are above Skrtel's as i see it. He may not start the season as 1st choice but i think given a good run of games he can establish himself as 1st choice.

It depends on whether Lovren can switch over to the right and be comfortable. I'm sure he can.

I do think Sakho has good potential and looked especially good during the world cup. I just want to make a case for Skrtel who is easily dismissed by many posters in this thread, for no reason in my opinion.

Do you remember the first Man City game last season, where he had a 5 minute spell of absolutely losing his head.

That's the best example of his tendency to panic, something he's done on more than one occasion.
    He has had a few of those moments playing for France also. It's something that he should grow out of as he matures but having somebody beside him to talk him through such moments will also help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Lovren brings something that we've been severly lacking at the back last year, someone to organise the defence.
    Neither Skrtel, Agger or Sakho are these type of players, Skrtel was kind of left to do this last year because noone else could/would, i get the feeling both Sakho and Skrtel would flourish when playing alongside Lovren simple becuase they could concentrate on their defending rather that worrying about organising the other guy beside them.

Anyone have a gif of Spearing touching the Anfield sign.

It was surely a health hazard every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Missed the game today.

Anyone feel like giving a brief synopsis?

Lovren good?

Manqiillo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

djPSB wrote: »
    Missed the game today.

Anyone feel like giving a brief synopsis?

Lovren good?

Manqiillo?

Pretty much played the same minus Suarez. Absolutely brilliant going forward and were clinical. Coutinho and Lovren were highlights. Manquillo was solid for his first game and did nothing wrong.

Johnson was impressive.

Can had a presence but went off at ht for Lucas, hope he's not injured.

All in all, normal service, and if there's anything to take from it is that we should be fine for the first few games without Markovic and Lallana worse comes to worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Just got around to watching the match from earlier. I said it last week that I was looking forward to seeing Coutinho and Sturridge together, today made me even more excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just in the door. Sounds like the game was a cracker.

Any links to highlights* around ?

Just in the door. Sounds like the game was a cracker.

Any links to highlights* around ?

Fill your boots! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WASdhpsi3O0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Skrtel being our best defender isn't saying much. A defender who dives in and makes as many last ditch tackles as Skrtel simply cannot be a top defender, being proactive rather than reactive is something we have needed hopefully we will get that from Lovren.

Johnson always looks better on the left rather than on the right. Its like that little bit of cautiousness on his weaker side makes him perform at a higher level and think about things a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Skrtel being our best defender isn't saying much. A defender who dives in and makes as many last ditch tackles as Skrtel simply cannot be a top defender, being proactive rather than reactive is something we have needed hopefully we will get that from Lovren.

Johnson always looks better on the left rather than on the right. Its like that little bit of cautiousness on his weaker side makes him perform at a higher level and think about things a bit more.

To be fair to skrtel he looks like that because he is covering his weaker partner constantly. He isn't a leader but he is a good cb. Skrtel has looked his best next to carragher and when Agger was good.

So you wouldn't have considered Carragher a top defender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Vicxas wrote: »
    English?

Moreno is going to Liverpool after the Super Cup on Tuesday. ..... essentially

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement