Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Coutinho's ball in for Sturridge was sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Suso 'could' be part of the Moreno deal acc. to The Mirror. Wonder if they're just speculating after similar rumours last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Suso 'could' be part of the Moreno deal acc. to The Mirror. Wonder if they're just speculating after similar rumours last week.

I'd hate to see suso go. He's a real talent

Unless its a loan move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Fescue wrote: »
    So you wouldn't have considered Carragher a top defender?

Not in the top bracket of defenders no. Very good organiser yes, but lacking too many attributes needed to be a top defender.

read the game fantastically well and was a leader of sorts but was another 'reactive' kind of defender rather than someone who just snuffed out threat by playing his own kind of game.

Also lacked aerial ability in his own box and also from our own set pieces in the opposition box.

Carragher is a Liverpool great, but in the pantheon of world football he doesn't match up to those universally recognised as 'top' defenders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Not in the top bracket of defenders no. Very good organiser yes, but lacking too many attributes needed to be a top defender.

read the game fantastically well and was a leader of sorts but was another 'reactive' kind of defender rather than someone who just snuffed out threat by playing his own kind of game.

Also lacked aerial ability in his own box and also from our own set pieces in the opposition box.

Carragher is a Liverpool great, but in the pantheon of world football he doesn't match up to those universally recognised as 'top' defenders.

A leader of sorts? Of sorts????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

A leader of sorts? Of sorts????

You don't shove one of your teammates around during a match in an audience in the millions if you're a true leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Come on, the stats I used are the ones in the defensive section of the Squawka comparison matrix.

The ones you posted were smart ass, so I responded in kind.

No what I used my stats for was to show you stats can prove anything you want. This started with you saying Sakho has done very liitle for Liverpool.

What your stats don't take into account is that last season we were not a defensive team we were an all out attacking team where the denfenders best weapon was there forward passes into the attack.

What your stats fail to show was how many times the CB pairs were split because one of them was in the other teams penatly box and we were caught on the counter attack.

So back to the original quote to say Sakho has done little at Liverpool is very unfair on the player who joined the team late and didn't have a pre season and the when he was just getting into his stride he picked up a major injury and he then returned into the team who was on the craziest run for a title every stats don't take any of that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Coutinho's coming of age.
    Full excerpts from an amazingly insightful and emotional interview of our little magician, on Rádio Tupi today.

Presenter welcomed Phil Coutinho to the show addressing him as the "little darling of Vasco da Gama" (his former Rio-based club).

Q: Last time you were on this show you were in Milan, you mentioned homesickness...

Coutinho: Liverpool is home. I like a quiet life.

Presenter interrupts: Not your comrades, then?

Coutinho: I am no one to comment. I can only speak for myself. Family and Football is all.

Q: Tell me of life at 'home' in Inglaterra (England).

Coutinho: It's a haven. Fans are kind. I have good friends here. My family is happy.

Coutinho: My family is tight. We sit together after every game and see my videos, they often notice things I miss - they help me to improve.

Bellos: Speaking of improvement, I see you're not that mild-mannered boy on the pitch anymore?

Coutinho: I owe thanks to Brendaõ (Brendan Rodgers) for that.

Coutinho: After Wigan away, where I didn't stop fighting - Brendan called me to office and told me he's sure I can be a 'volanté' or a no. 8.

Bellos (interrupts): But, that isn't your natural game?

Coutinho: A number 8 role? Why not? I'm only a boy. Brendan showed me I can learn.

Coutinho: Brendaõ said before Everton at Anfield, "do you have the fire?" Before Arsenal he told me to not give them peace. I gave no peace.

Bellos: Your build, is it suited?

Coutinho: It will be. I'm working closely with mi amigo Pedro Philippou (trainer) and (Ryland) Morgans.

Coutinho: I look at my teammates too. I work with Joe (Allen) sometimes to see how he uses his body to protect the ball. He's amazing at it.

Bellos: What about theory?

Coutinho: DVDs.

Brendaõ has given me DVDs of Valderrama, Valeron, Rui Costa, Francescoli to study for holidays.

Bellos (laughs): No Brazilian to study on your DVDs roster?

Coutinho: No. I've been doing that since I was 9. My uncle's VCR was my Bible.

Presenter (interrupts): Exclusion from Seleção? How..

Coutinho: Anger. Not because I'm selfish, but because I could have offered something.

Bellos: What now?

Coutinho: I'm going to use this anger and push myself to my limits. I saw how Luisito (Suárez) was a maniac in training.

Coutinho: At this point, my body and mind feel like clay. I will mold it the way I envision, and I will use my fire to make them harder.

Coutinho labels the goals 'Luisito' Suárez used to pull in traning as "loco" and "tongue-biting". You won't find a better translation, haha!

That's all folks. He is asked to speculate about his position under Dunga and how he sees the Seleção moving on. Nothing pertinent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like Moreno deal will be wrapped up after Tuesday. A striker in after that and that will probably be our business done for the Summer. Maybe another keeper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

There's rumours Lucas has been given permission to talk to Napoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lucas is rumoured to be headed to Napoli.

Rafa misses his boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

There's a difference between TOP defender and WORLD CLASS. Carragher was indeed a TOP defender, his partnership with Hypia was as good as there was out there. Sure throw in Cannavaro/Beckenbauer/Koeman as the recognised greatest defenders that ever graced the game but you'd have to be pretty blinded to sat that a guy with as many appearances as he had and a decent haul of medals was not a top defender.

If you are not fishing you are surely a typical armchair sky sports supporter. Go and actually watch the game and stop listening to punditry it skews the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Hopefully we get a GK too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Coutinho's interview above shows why Rodgers values players mentality & personality so much. A lot of players with his talent would be arrogant & think he doesn't have much to learn. Coutinho in that interview seems very determined to become the best player he possibly can be.

Coutinho as a number 8 for Brazil if he is half as good as my favorite Brazilian footballer when I was a kid Socrates we really will have a player.

We all know we have a player in him who am I kidding :D

Anyone to young to remember Socrates go to youtube now. He was the most elegant of players and maybe the greatest never to win the World Cup. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

No what I used my stats for was to show you stats can prove anything you want. This started with you saying Sakho has done very liitle for Liverpool.

What your stats don't take into account is that last season we were not a defensive team we were an all out attacking team where the denfenders best weapon was there forward passes into the attack.

What your stats fail to show was how many times the CB pairs were split because one of them was in the other teams penatly box and we were caught on the counter attack.

So back to the original quote to say Sakho has done little at Liverpool is very unfair on the player who joined the team late and didn't have a pre season and the when he was just getting into his stride he picked up a major injury and he then returned into the team who was on the craziest run for a title every stats don't take any of that into account.

Whatever the reasons behind it, it is a statement of fact that Sakho has done very little in his Liverpool career to date. Certainly not enough to jump ahead of Skrtel in the pecking order.

Over time he may well prove to be the best defender at the club but right now he's not. Judging by todays line up, Rodgers would agree with that and it looks like he will play second fiddle for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

There's a difference between TOP defender and WORLD CLASS. Carragher was indeed a TOP defender, his partnership with Hypia was as good as there was out there. Sure throw in Cannavaro/Beckenbauer/Koeman as the recognised greatest defenders that ever graced the game but you'd have to be pretty blinded to sat that a guy with as many appearances as he had and a decent haul of medals was not a top defender.

If you are not fishing you are surely a typical armchair sky sports supporter. Go and actually watch the game and stop listening to punditry it skews the view.

Top, top class, world class whatever way. Personally, 'top' defender equates world class unless you're are part of the sky sports generation where any tom, dick or harry :P can be called "a top player".

Listening to pundits only gives you the opinion that Jamie Carragher is a 'top' defender.

Carra was a very good player, Hyypia was definately the better of the 2 however, he had a definite streak of class and topped Carra in almost every area (aerially, in terms of distribution and also as a threat from set pieces). Although Carra was a threat sometimes in his own box from set pieces :D

Its my opinion that Jamie Carragher is not a top defender and i've explained why, no matter how many appearances he has. Carragher had 2 season's max where he operated at an elite level.

Other than that, he was an honest player with tremendous character who squeezed every last drop out of what he had.

If I understand the Coutinho interview properly, then he might well be Gerrards successor. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm going to use this anger and push myself to my limits. I saw how Luisito (Suárez) was a maniac in training.

At this point, my body and mind feel like clay. I will mould it the way I envision, and I will use my fire to make them harder.

Anyone else seeing Rocky Balboa in his head? He'll be chasing chickens next!

Speaking of movers Tiago Ilori off to Bordeaux by the looks of it

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/liverpool-will-imminently-announce-transfer-deal-with-french-club
    Several reports in France claim that Bordeaux's club president Jean-Louis Triaud confirmed the loan move yesterday, and it's since been covered by Bein Sports, according to a Girondins fan website.

Larger French football website But! also cover the story and say the president announced the imminent arrival of Illori. They're complimentary toward Illori and say 'Brilliant with Granada, never seen in the jersey of the Reds'.

Enjoy...what a player.

• Advertisement

Whatever the reasons behind it, it is a statement of fact that Sakho has done very little in his Liverpool career to date. Certainly not enough to jump ahead of Skrtel in the pecking order.

Over time he may well prove to be the best defender at the club but right now he's not. Judging by todays line up, Rodgers would agree with that and it looks like he will play second fiddle for now.

Then the statement of fact is very few if any players have done anything for Liverpool in there first 18 matches and to right them off after on playing 18 matches is a joke.

Especially a player who is a proven Internatinoal and has captianed the French national team.

Then the statement of fact is very few if any players have done anything for Liverpool in there first 18 matches and to right them off after on playing 18 matches is a joke.

Especially a player who is a proven Internatinoal and has captianed the French national team.

Back up the bus, at no point have I written him off. There are a number of posters writing Skrtel off, which is where I entered the argument originally.

I think some posters have elevated Sakho to a level he has not justified. Not with Liverpool at least. He may well do in time, I hope he does. I really like the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

billy2012 wrote: »
    Enjoy...what a player.

Sweet, watching that makes me a little less nervous of a future without Suarez.

If his shooting comes good he'll be awesome. Even without it he looks pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Watching a replay of the match at the moment.

Gerrard's crossfield pass on 49 mins was something else! An excellent performance from him from what I've seen so far. It will be interesting if Lucas does go who will be the backup for Gerrard in this role. I know many see Can as a DM of sorts, but I feel like Gerrard's role is a bit more specialized and maybe not suited to Can whose main strength is his physicality and who likes to run forward with the ball. You need to be very comfortable and confident on the ball and have a good passing range to play the Gerrard role effectively and I wonder if this is asking a lot of young Can.

I would actually put Allen forward for the role when Gerrard gets injured/needs a rest. I always thought he did a decent job there when he first moved to us, and I think he has the composure and passing ability to perform it well.

Another beaut of a pass from Gerrard on 56 mins where he feigns a shot and lays it off to Sturridge. Didn't see any mention of his performance but looks like he had a fantastic game. When you take into account his set piece ability (exemplified again today) there's still a decent shout for him being our most important and influential player. I still think he has a few years left in him myself, I've heard some talk about this season being his last at the top level but I don't see it. I think he can feature as an important first team player for another 3 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think it would be a shame to see Lucas go. He's had a good pre season and I thought we were a much better side when he came on today.

Jurgen-Klopp-641x327.jpg
    @BVBfansFF: Klopp: "Once I won 5-0 against LFC in pre-season, with Mainz, and afterwards we got relegated. For me it's now standing 5-4."
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Vicxas wrote: »
    English?
    Moreno will play his final game for Sevilla on Tuesday where his job will be to shackle Bale.

Morzadec wrote: »

Gerrard's crossfield pass on 49 mins was something else! An excellent performance from him from what I've seen so far. It will be interesting if Lucas does go who will be the backup for Gerrard in this role. I know many see Can as a DM of sorts, but I feel like Gerrard's role is a bit more specialized and maybe not suited to Can whose main strength is his physicality and who likes to run forward with the ball. You need to be very comfortable and confident on the ball and have a good passing range to play the Gerrard role effectively and I wonder if this is asking a lot of young Can.

I would actually put Allen forward for the role when Gerrard gets injured/needs a rest. I always thought he did a decent job there when he first moved to us, and I think he has the composure and passing ability to perform it well.

Another beaut of a pass from Gerrard on 56 mins where he feigns a shot and lays it off to Sturridge. Didn't see any mention of his performance but looks like he had a fantastic game. When you take into account his set piece ability (exemplified again today) there's still a decent shout for him being our most important and influential player. I still think he has a few years left in him myself, I've heard some talk about this season being his last at the top level but I don't see it. I think he can feature as an important first team player for another 3 seasons

As Coutinho mentioned in his interview, perhgaps this is the role he will play in the future. I can see him dropping between the centre backs and making incisive passes forward.

Gerrard was excellent today for sure.

Finishing with the English circus is great news for us.

No reason he can't play the majority of league games when fit. Let him rest during carling cup games.

Rodgers has no intention of replacing him for a while yet and that's fair enough with me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

billy2012 wrote: »
    Enjoy...what a player.

SIGN MORE INHOS!!

The lad is a bit special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Some great play from Coutinho there but Dortmund were a shambles at the back and he won't be allowed the freedom to run into the spaces he did there unnoticed in the PL. Still, if he can play passes like those consistently it will make Liverpool very tough to stop, could maybe do with a top winger on the opposite side to Sterling, not sure yis can really rely on anyone there yet.

Liam O wrote: »
    Some great play from Coutinho there but Dortmund were a shambles at the back and he won't be allowed the freedom to run into the spaces he did there unnoticed in the PL. Still, if he can play passes like those consistently it will make Liverpool very tough to stop, could maybe do with a top winger on the opposite side to Sterling, not sure yis can really rely on anyone there yet.

It was actually a 4-4-1-1 from what I could make out. Henderson played wide right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jurgen-Klopp-641x327.jpg

:pac:

The team mainz faced that day.

LIVERPOOL (4-4-2):> Carson; Kromkamp (Peltier 62), Carragher (Hobbs 81), Hyypia (Paletta 46), Traore; Pennant (Anderson 46), Alonso (Sissoko 62), Gerrard (Garcia 73), Zenden (Riise 62); Crouch, Bellamy (Diao 62). Subs: Dudek.

Liverpool don't do formations any more, the team just takes control of the space required to put the ball in the back of the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It was actually a 4-4-1-1 from what I could make out. Henderson played wide right.

How likely is that to stick? I've had Sterling in my FF team since the start but today went for Coutinho before a look at the fixtures made me keep both out and have Henderson in there as a potential pick until ye have a good run. Him wide right would be quite a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

As Coutinho mentioned in his interview, perhgaps this is the role he will play in the future. I can see him dropping between the centre backs and making incisive passes forward.

I'm not sure I see it... It's a bit of a waste of Coutinho's ability in really tight spaces, ability to beat a man, vision etc... Perhaps when he is much older and loses his legs, but for the moment I can't see a nimble quick footed, quick witted creative genius like Coutinho being played in the "puppet master" role, which calls for a more measured approach to the game.

I think Coutinho was more referring to him playing as an '8' - essentially a centre midfielder (rather than the winger or number 10 role we have cone to associate with him). Rodgers has said in previous interviews that he ultimately sees Cout as a centre mid, and now he is showing many of the strengths off the ball, as well as improved physicality, to thrive in that role and add a real attacking dangerous edge to our midfield.

So I fully expect Cout to be frequently deployed as one of the 2 in our 1-2 midfield (alongside Henderson), but I would be highly surprised if we saw him playing the Gerrard/Xabi role, dropping deep between the cbs and starting attacks, spraying balls around etc... He could potentially perform this role well enough (though it is a role that tends to require a lot of experience and game intelligence to excel in) but I don't feel that's where his talents lie and we would miss out on the magic and genius that he delivers in more advanced positions. I would be shocked if Rodgers deployed him in the Gerrard role

How likely is that to stick? I've had Sterling in my FF team since the start but today went for Coutinho before a look at the fixtures made me keep both out and have Henderson in there as a potential pick until ye have a good run. Him wide right would be quite a bonus.

I would guess that's likely to stick unless they sign a big name forward. Then they could go back to a 4-1-2-1-2. But I find it hard to figure out Liverpools formations. They are very fluid and change in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I'd like to see us lined up like this for the first game, until a new striker is signed and Lallana and Markovic are back from injury.

Gerrard

Henderson
    Can

Coutinho

Sturridge
    Stirling

There would be some fantastic interchanging in that front 6. If it worked it could be some football to watch.

I'd like to see us lined up like this for the first game, until a new striker is signed and Lallana and Markovic are back from injury.

Gerrard

Henderson
    Can

Coutinho

Sturridge
    Stirling

There would be some fantastic interchanging in that front 6. If it worked it could be some football to watch.
    It worked beautifully today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

"At this point, my body and mind feel like clay. I will mold it the way I envision, and I will use my fire to make them harder."

Reminds of a saying: "Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" ~Dr. Alexis Carrel~

Perhaps "the Count" is not an appropriate for this young warrior/magician, it infers privelege earned by birthright. He is forging his own destiny and I think I will enjoy watching it unfold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

garra wrote: »
    "At this point, my body and mind feel like clay. I will mold it the way I envision, and I will use my fire to make them harder."

Reminds of a saying: "Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" ~Dr. Alexis Carrel~

Perhaps "the Count" is not an appropriate for this young warrior/magician, it infers privelege earned by birthright. He is forging his own destiny and I think I will enjoy watching it unfold.

Are you RAWK? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Was thinking the same, what on earth was that crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Morzadec wrote: »

Like I said before, I think the 4-4-2 we played, is the way to go with Gerrard in the Team.

With 2 other Energetic Midfielders alongside him (Can/Hendo), Gerrard can just play to his Strengths.

This Formation also helps out Cou. Since, he doesn't have to Track Back as much, and can now just Concentrate on Orchestrating our Attack.

Are you RAWK?

No. But I can get a bit flowery in language after performances like that. :D

Ignore the philistines Garra. You're "flowery" language is appreciated on this thread.

Apparently friendlies mean nothing ;)

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Was thinking the same, what on earth was that crap?

No need for the language

No need for the language

English?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

No need for the language

He's drunk after Arsenals historic win today, it's ok.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    English?

You spelt orange wrong too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement