Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Is Brendaõ a thing now? I could get on board with that. Better than 'The Rodgers' anyway, that's for sure.

I think it needs to be! Particularly with him speaking Spanish and probably some Portuguese I would imagine.

He was having a moment with Manquillo when he came off, probably telling him what a good game he had, which he really did. Mkhitaryan (spit) was playing wide left initially, and got nothing out of him, and was moved inside. For someone who has not played much at Atleti, and barely trained with us, he was very composed...

My ratings for yesterday (having seen about 2/3 of it live).

Defence - all 7, give how little they had to do. Both FBs did well to support the play, without having to stay up there too often. Manquillo and Hendo paired well (the latter looking after his new pal very well), and Glenjo looked a lot happier on the left. Lovren looks made for the team, commanding and vocal, looks money well spent. But they weren't tested much.
    Stevie/Can/Lucas - all 7, maybe Stevie gets 7.5 for his longer appearance. Backed up the play well, but when the attack works like this, it's all they should do. Can was a little quiet, but the camera was upfield a lot!
    Hendo/Sturridge - strong 8s. Did very little wrong, both scored and involved in others. Two must-starters for every big game this season.
    Coutinho/Sterling - comfortably 9s. They terrorised every defender they faced, both involved in multiple chances and could have had a couple each. And they found each other a lot, Coutinho had two extraordinary passes from inside right to Sterling running in inside left, watch out for that this season. With this front 3, we will scare a lot of teams...

The big question is - who does Lallana replace with he's fit? I would assume Can/Lucas, with Stevie staying deep and him playing narrow left (and Hendo narrow right). But at LAST, we have multiple attacking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Some quotes from Lovern about his debut, really does sound like its a dream move for him the way he talks about the club etc

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168655-describe-my-debut-it-was-just-amazing?
    "We played very well and it was a good start for me also because I haven't had a long time with the team - but I feel like I've been here for a month already. It was a great start ahead of the season."

"I have another week before the Southampton game so [the whole squad and I] will have time to meet each other. But I've already settled down here."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I am MacLovren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Dickerty wrote: »
    The big question is - who does Lallana replace with he's fit? I would assume Can/Lucas, with Stevie staying deep and him playing narrow left (and Hendo narrow right). But at LAST, we have multiple attacking options.

Not the only big question...the other one is where does Markovic fit in when he is fully fit?

Nice to have options alright

6 days till LFC's kick-off against Southampton. 21 days until the transfer window closes.

Im properly excited now after watching the Dortmund game again.
    Sturridges finish is actually exceptional when you watch it in slow motion, he prods the ball with the outside of his foot and manages to get that much power in the shot. Delightful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's the deadline for signing a player to have them included in the champions league squad?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What's the deadline for signing a player to have them included in the champions league squad?

Well the draw is not until the 28th, so I would imagine it is after the window has closed, no reason to be any earlier...

Not the only big question...the other one is where does Markovic fit in when he is fully fit?

Nice to have options alright

I figure he is a replacement for either Cout or Raheem when necessary, license to roam and cause trouble. We will always have injuries and loss of form, both of the guys were drop-able at points last season, as was Daniel...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

However, Rodgers is optimistic on Markovic's availability for Sunday's clash with Southampton at Anfield - but insists he should definitely be ready for the trip to Manchester City on August 25 should he miss the Saints' visit to L4.

"He'll hopefully be around then [against Southampton], but if not then he certainly will for the next game," the boss told reporters following the 4-0 victory over Borussia Dortmund.

"He had a slight problem with his tendon, but he's up to speed.

"He's working with our sports science team, he's looking very strong and if he just misses out, he certainly should be available for the next game."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168641-br-on-lazar-agger-and-new-look-squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Id be very confident of a win against City if they play anyway they played yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Moreno deal rumoured to close after the super cup game on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

slingerz wrote: »
    Moreno deal rumoured to close after the super cup game on Tuesday

If I had a penny....

616302d14b.jpg

:pac:

Manquillo highlights v Dortmund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

IMO, if Moreno plays in that game it means we don't have a deal in place. Simple as that.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    IMO, if Moreno plays in that game it means we don't have a deal in place. Simple as that.

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Manquillo highlights v Dortmund

Not a whole lot to garner from a pre season game but it will be nice to have an effective attacking thread at RB for a change if that is anything to go by!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Vicxas wrote: »
    Id be very confident of a win against City if they play anyway they played yesterday.

Pull in the the reigns there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Some quotes from Lovern about his debut, really does sound like its a dream move for him the way he talks about the club etc

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168655-describe-my-debut-it-was-just-amazing?
    It would be interesting to know why the club declined the opportunity to sign him the previous year - there was certainly interest but they never made an offer and Southampton signed him for £8.5M, only slightly more than what Liverpool spent on Ilori.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They seem to really want this LB to play in the Super Cup, he must be pretty good then!

It has been reported about 30 times that the reason the deal hasnt been done is the player and the club both asked he be allowed play in the supercup v real madrid. It will be his send off in front of the fans that he has played in front since he was 8 years old.

The player was quoted back in June saying he wanted to play in that game. There was a recent interview with the club president where he said this was agreed with Liverpool and the only thing that had held up the agreement on the transfer was the structure of the fee. Sevilla had been counting on the player going to the World Cup and increasing his price, this didn't happen. Liverpool also wanted to include loan players in the agreement but Sevilla declined the option.

It was a nonsense meaningless match.

They'll be a different animal at the Ethihad in a few weeks

I wouldn't be making that kind of call based on 2 friendlies...

I wouldn't be making that kind of call based on 2 friendlies...

Ugh, cant you people let me have my sweeping generalizations ;) :P

• Advertisement

Ugh, cant you people let me have my sweeping generalizations ;) :P

Nope..better to save you the disappointment now. More of us cowering behind our sofas watching the game in 2 weeks the better.

That City were so conservative was revealing to me. They look behind schedule and will not have Aquero.

That City were so conservative was revealing to me. They look behind schedule and will not have Aquero.

They wont have him?

Better change my fantasy footie team so.

Its_a_trap.jpg

Two weeks is a very long time though
    Plus this is a weak city team (included match ratings)

Caballero 5, Clichy 6, Boyata 5, Nastasic 5, Kolarov 5.5 (Richards 76); Navas 5 (Sinclair 85), Toure 6 (Milner 60, 6), Fernando 6, Nasri 5 (Silva 46, 6), Dzeko 5 (Zuculini 60, 5.5), Jovetic 5.5.

• Advertisement

Jurgen Klopp : It was the wrong day and the wrong opponent for us in Liverpool

How many managers will share that sentiment this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lets concentrate on Southampton at home first, we also have IMO a very tough test at Spurs under a new manager with a seriously under-performing squad who has had the summer to implement how he wants to play.

We are league challengers though we should really be beating Spurs and Southampton, if we can take 7 points from the first 3 games that will set us up very well for the next few "easier" fixtures.

Two weeks is a very long time though
    Plus this is a weak city team (included match ratings)

Caballero 5, Clichy 6, Boyata 5, Nastasic 5, Kolarov 5.5 (Richards 76); Navas 5 (Sinclair 85), Toure 6 (Milner 60, 6), Fernando 6, Nasri 5 (Silva 46, 6), Dzeko 5 (Zuculini 60, 5.5), Jovetic 5.5.

Apart from the back Boyata , Nastasic and Caballero. that is a pretty strong midfield and attack unit

Still too early to make a call on how they'll be come our game against them

There's no point in speculating about Man City - chances are they'll demolish Newcastle on Sunday and will be in flying form again.

Apart from the back Boyata , Nastasic and Caballero. that is a pretty strong midfield and attack unit

Still too early to make a call on how they'll be come our game against them

Our game will look a lot different when on the back foot away from home, our swashbuckling FBs will have their work cut out...

Our game will look a lot different when on the back foot away from home, our swashbuckling FBs will have their work out...

If (and thats a massive if) we managed to take 3 pts there, that would be a serious statement of intent this early in the season.

Southampton first though....lets get that sorted.

If (and thats a massive if) we managed to take 3 pts there, that would be a serious statement of intent this early in the season.

Southampton first though....lets get that sorted.

Yep, let's treat that game like we did yesterday - hit the turbo button from the off, keep the confidence high, and don't let them settle. They are in some turmoil, so we need to turn the screw.

Then we can worry about the Champions...

I'd forgotten about the tough start with some getting a bit carried away with a decent pre season! Still, CL draw in just over 2 weeks! :D

Can't fecking wait to hear that music at Anfield again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about the tough start with some getting a bit carried away with a decent pre season! Still, CL draw in just over 2 weeks! :D

I'm planning on having far too many cans for the first night at Anfiled, doesn't matter who we're playing, I'll be bollíxed, swearing and unbelievably happy inside :D

I think I will have to go to one of the away games once they are decided, let's get a posse together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think I will have to go to one of the away games once they are decided, let's get a posse together!

That's actually a great idea. Was thinking myself of getting over to a game but didn't consider away. Easier to get tickets I'd presume? Would LOVE Barca away for example, or Munich

What makes you think that?
    8-10 wrote: »
    They seem to really want this LB to play in the Super Cup, he must be pretty good then!
    It has been reported about 30 times that the reason the deal hasnt been done is the player and the club both asked he be allowed play in the supercup v real madrid. It will be his send off in front of the fans that he has played in front since he was 8 years old.
    Talisman wrote: »
    The player was quoted back in June saying he wanted to play in that game. There was a recent interview with the club president where he said this was agreed with Liverpool and the only thing that had held up the agreement on the transfer was the structure of the fee. Sevilla had been counting on the player going to the World Cup and increasing his price, this didn't happen. Liverpool also wanted to include loan players in the agreement but Sevilla declined the option.

It just strikes me as odd that a £16-18m deal could be held up by a single game, and a showpiece at that. Even if he wanted one last hurrah in front of the fans, they played at home a few days ago.

I'm not saying that I think we won't sign him if he plays, I just don't think this game is the only thing keeping him from having joined yet.

8-10 wrote: »
    That's actually a great idea. Was thinking myself of getting over to a game but didn't consider away. Easier to get tickets I'd presume? Would LOVE Barca away for example, or Munich

Would love a trip to any German, French or Dutch team.
    Won't go to Turkey, Italy, or Israel!!!

Basel would be nice, lovely city!

Wickham is off to West Ham, so that must mean Borini is off.

President Jose Castro of Seville (leaving for Cardiff) - "There have been negotiations, but no agreement today. I've already said, there's a price we've set for him and if Liverpool don't meet it, nothing happens. Moreno is a Sevilla player and there is no change."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did they not learn from buying Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's absolutely plausible that somebody created the 'after the Super Cup' rumour to get LFC fans to shut the fúck up about Moreno for a few weeks at least....

Would be disappointed if we don't get him though

Jack Robinson off to Brighton & Hove Albion possibly

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11401076.Albion_linked_with_Liverpool_prospect/

I had to read that again as off with Borini could mean anything at this stage! Hopefully that means we are getting closer to a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I had to read that again as off with Borini could mean anything at this stage! Hopefully that means we are getting closer to a replacement.

Highjack West Ham's Wickham bid with a £50m offer.

That'd do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement